• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I only beat it so I could sell it after with closure. The game is just a very tedious, unexciting game. Marvel is a very interesting case. The game is most definitely not for everyone. I can't get into it despite giving it a month of my time. On the other hand, there is a considerable audience for it. It's very much a love it or hate it game. I can see why one would like it, but it's not for me.

Sticker Star is definitely a functioning game, but it's boring, and no amount of quality coding and lack of glitches will fix that.
Don't get me wrong, I'm fighting game enthusiast, but Marvel vs Capcom 3 was a grand disappointment compared to it's predecessor, it doesn't matter how good the gameplay is if the game didn't offer more, Soul Calibur V for example was below expectation because beyond the fighting, the single played campaign was moot and very short that it took away a charm of the series, if not for the Character creation feature the game would've had the same fate as Marvel vs Capcom 3. For me all I wanted is to do more things as a single players, the more features represented the better.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not Kuma, but I will say that Paper Mario: Sticker Star is plagued with a lot of game design flaws that it makes it not enjoyable. I mean one of the biggest problems I have with the game is that random encounters are completely pointless and are only designed for you to waste your time and stickers.
This is one of my top issues with the game. When you are discouraged from getting into battles, in an RPG, you know something is very wrong. The other issue is that the game was injected with the generic formula they've been using their Mario games lately.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The funny thing is that Sticker Star is the highest selling game in the Paper Mario series in Japan.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@Ike-Sama: don't get me wrong, but I don't think Capcom (in MvC3's case) or Namco Bandai (in SCV's case) were really focused on the single player experience.

After all, those are fighting games designed for a specific audience: the more competitive players, whose focus is the multiplayer above anything else.

The funny thing is that Sticker Star is the highest selling game in the Paper Mario series in Japan.
It is very ironic... (o.o)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Smash's success is mostly due to the marketability of the characters included. I'm not saying the gameplay didn't play a part, but if we had gotten Dragon King instead, the series would be nowhere as successful as it has been.

On the other hand, if we got a traditional fighter with the same characters as in Smash, it would also be pretty successful, but granted, probably not as successful.
Go look at Marvel vs Capcom which doesn't do that well despite Marvel characters are very popular. Look at Sonic and Sega games which don't do near as well (I don't think the new one even broke 1 million). Now go look at Smash. Brawl is the best selling fighting game ever. It managed to sell over 10 million and that puts it into the top 50 best selling games of all time. Like wise, it has outsold most modern Nintendo games (Mario Kart and NSMB are the only games that use Nintendo characters that outsell it). Additionally, games with Nintnedo characters have sold less over time. SS and Other M did worse than previous games. Like Galaxy did better, it did worse than Brawl and worse than Mario 64.

There is enough to say the characters are not moving the game. Not to mention while many of Nintendo's series declined in sales, Smash goes up. Characters are likely not the reason. Especially in a genre with VERY low sales. The reason Smash sells is accessibility (though replayability and Nintendo content help).

It's also the only Papaer Mario game on a handheld.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
@Ike-Sama: don't get me wrong, but I don't think Capcom (in MvC3's case) or Namco Bandai (in SCV's case) were really focused on the single player experience.

After all, those are fighting games designed for a specific audience: the more competitive players, whose focus is the multiplayer above anything else.
I'm not too familliar with MvC series but I'm quite big on SC, and I must say that part of Soul Calibur charm was the Sing player, it was long and challenging, and the stupid story makes it even better, SCll is the best Soul Calibur to date.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
It still makes this forum environment very unpleasant. I wish there were more intelligent softspoken people instead.
Yeah, I read Quiet by Susan Cain as well. Fascinating book and really life affirming for introverts such as myself.
/offtopic

Anyways by now you should know whose posts you want to read and whose posts to skip. No one is forcing you to reply to eeeeveryythiiiing.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
I'm probably the only one who feels this, but I'd rather see Mech Bulblorb from Nintendo Land then a Bulblorb from pikmin as a boss

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Why is this, I'll never know. Do the Japanese like their games to be generic and boring?
That can be said about most people with most things. Just look at how many SF players love the ever so boring Ryu.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Is there a fighting game series that has a not-bland "main" character.
I'd say the Mishimas, Ragna, and Sol in particular standout. Then there's whether or not you include who is the main character of the story at the time. If that's the case, we can include characters like Juri as exceptions as she is one of the main characters of SSF4.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
ehhh the only Mishimas that are all that interesting to me are Kazuya and Heihachi, and they aren't the main characters (well, in Kazuya's case, not anymore)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'd say the Mishimas, Ragna, and Sol in particular standout. Then there's whether or not you include who is the main character of the story at the time. If that's the case, we can include characters like Juri as exceptions as she is one of the main characters of SSF4.
Aren't two of those spiky-haired animes with big swords, and the other a ...line? of karatemen.

I think if I made a main character in a fighting game... they'd definitely be... yeah... definitely a maid, that sounds pretty good and not bland.

D

Deleted member

Aren't two of those spiky-haired animes with big swords, and the other a ...line? of karatemen.

I think if I made a main character in a fighting game... they'd definitely be... yeah... definitely a maid, that sounds pretty good and not bland.

Close enough? Not a maid, but she's still wearing a skirt.

Ragna and Sol are rather unique in over all playstyle imo. Though they both have similar combos.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Karatemen bent on world domination and hate each other to the point that they'll toss each other into volcanoes or launch them into space on rockets.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The main character is usually the most generic among the cast of characters, which is especially apparent when the protagonist is silent. Nintendo franchises in particular are a victim of this.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Wasn't it you who had the Strong idea of having a fighter use metal, heat and convection, or something like that? Incorporating that in the maid would be cool.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

Close enough? Not a maid, but she's still wearing a skirt.

Ragna and Sol are rather unique in over all playstyle imo. Though they both have similar combos.
That image is so broken, but you called them a she so I'm sure they are not what I had in mind.

Maybe a man made out of poop would be better. Or a blacksmith. Perhaps a greaser that thinks he is a car, or maybe a man that thinks he's a bee. Yeah, beeman would be great. He'd make buzzing noises all the time.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
so 5 pokes and a Pokemon trainer, 8 pokes overall, over saturation or not (mainly wondering this because of the injustice line-up).

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Wasn't it you who had the Strong idea of having a fighter use metal, heat and convection, or something like that? Incorporating that in the maid would be cool.
Yeah man, I think they would have irons for shoes and they'd shoot out steam to allow them to fly. That move would be called "WALKING CON AIR" because that is a company that makes irons, and by consequence this maid would look like Nick Cage from the movie Con Air. OBVIOUSLY IT IS A PUN ON "WALKING ON AIR" TOO.

Ah, but if they can already fly then how do you make sense of them surfing on an ironing board... God damn this is hard.

D

Deleted member

Ok, would you play a fighting game featuring all the biggest rock stars duking it out to be the best? Like Slash, Tom Morello, Jimmi Hendrix, Matt Bellamy, etc... In FLCL/Scott Pilgrim-like incredibly over-the-top fights?

I think Slash would contend for unique MC.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ok, would you play a fighting game featuring all the biggest rock stars duking it out to be the best? Like Slash, Tom Morello, Jimmi Hendrix, Matt Bellamy, etc... In FLCL/Scott Pilgrim-like incredibly over-the-top fights?

I think Slash would contend for unique MC.
That sounds like an interesting concept. I'd probably give it a go. My brother would probably enjoy that more, since he's a pretty big Hendrix fan, but I'd still play it. Any interesting mechanics you had in mind?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, his request would...

...fall on deaf ears.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
so 5 pokes and a Pokemon trainer, 8 pokes overall, over saturation or not (mainly wondering this because of the injustice line-up).
Considering Pokemon is only getting bigger and bigger I'd say that's just about right.

D

Deleted member

Do they have to be rock stars. What if Beethoven wants to enter the fray.
He can be
DLC

along with PSY

That sounds like an interesting concept. I'd probably give it a go. My brother would probably enjoy that more, since he's a pretty big Hendrix fan, but I'd still play it. Any interesting mechanics you had in mind?
Dunno, it's just something I kinda thought of. I think a sort of party system where you do group battles a la KoF would make sense. Also, it would be music based battles, so every character would have a gimmick that resonates with their musical style. And all their moves are named after their hit songs. And a sort of musical combo-meter like in Guitar Hero.

Like Matt Bellamy, he could have a moves that emphasize his Space Rock riffs and his high-pitched falsetto.

Also, Freddie Mercury would be baws. All the stages would have songs composed by the musicians. So it would be a marketing nightmare, getting the rights and all...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Gackt.

That is all. Hell, maybe we should include Miku. Her Belphegor's Gift attack would be totally OP.

D

Deleted member

Gackt.

That is all. Hell, maybe we should include Miku. Her Belphegor's Gift attack would be totally OP.
Speaking of Gackt. You ever listen to his song "Vanilla?"

What's with that ****? Like halfway through there's a girl moaning "Ikuuuuuuuu" (Japanese for "I'm *******"). First time I heard it, it totally caught me by surprise, though I laughed heartily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom