• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Nearly half of the games in the Fire Emblem series had multiplayer. FE6, FE7, FE8, FE11, and FE12 all had it. FE13 had a co-op multiplayer (but not a versus like the previously listed games). So basically every handheld game in the series had multiplayer in it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah wait is everybody secretly trolling me or are yall stupid.
We're stupidly trolling you.

Not anyone else.

Just you. :troll:

Also Chrono, I'm curious about your thoughts on that Tharja figurine.

peeup

Smash Lord
So clearly its a good idea. What I would really want tho is a FE fighting game. I mean there are so many reps that everyone wants in Smash, and so many of them could be sick. Why not make a Dissidia type thing? Well obviously I know why not, but I think it would be cool.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I Little Mac, he's small but pretty mighty. I always did want a character in Super Smash Bros. that took inspiration from boxing, and as a bit of inspiration from the characters Balrog and Dudley from Street Fighter.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Also Chrono, I'm curious about your thoughts on that Tharja figurine.
I have known about it for a while. There is a reason why I am concerned about the future for FE. That kind of stuff does not belong in Fire Emblem. That figurine is particularly shameful and embarrassing.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I have known about it for a while. There is a reason why I am concerned about the future for FE. That kind of stuff does not belong in Fire Emblem. That figurine is particularly shameful and embarrassing.
I see why you're worried. I am too now...

Two questions though.

Is this the only FE13 figurine that is like this?

Hasn't Samus had one "naughty" figurine as well?

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Nearly half of the games in the Fire Emblem series had multiplayer. FE6, FE7, FE8, FE11, and FE12 all had it. FE13 had a co-op multiplayer (but not a versus like the previously listed games). So basically every handheld game in the series had multiplayer in it.
except FE6, 7 and 8's muliplayer wasn't even worth hooking up a link cable.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I see why you're worried. I am too now...

Two questions though.

Is this the only FE13 figurine that is like this?

Hasn't Samus had one "naughty" figurine as well?
There is also a figurine for Lucina, but its not fanservicey (or at least from what I remember).

As for Samus, there was a figurine of Zero Suit Samus made, but I don't think she was in any suggestive pose.

D

Deleted member

Am I the only one who didn't associate fan service with people dressing suggestively when I first heard the word?

I though fan service was something like including a popular characters in the next Smash game when it first came to my mind.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
They say that Little Mac would be a boring addition due to boxing solely focusing and encouraging the use of punching, but actually that's a charm in it's own right. Boxing is a sport that requires reflexes and strategy in order to take down the opponent, as simply being reckless can be fatal. I would like the idea of a type of play that centers around how boxing is.

peeup

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who didn't associate fan service with people dressing suggestively when I first heard the word?

I though fan service was something like including a popular characters in the next Smash game when it first came to my mind.
But actually. I thought Smash was like the epitome of fanservice.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
They say that Little Mac would be a boring addition due to boxing solely focusing and encouraging the use of punching, but actually that's a charm in it's own right. Boxing is a sport that requires reflexes and strategy in order to take down the opponent, as simply being reckless can be fatal. I would like the idea of a type of play that centers around how boxing is.
Aside from arguably the sport aspect, all fighting styles can been as requiring reflexes and strategy. The only reason I say arguably is a good number of styles (like mine) don't train for combat sport like Boxing or TKD. That list gets smaller when you exclude the wushu (very loose term) styles which are mostly about flash and performance than practicality.

On Little Mac, I definitely welcome him. I think people saying "Oh, he can only punch." only look at things superficially and/or don't know the first thing about boxing.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Metal Gear Solid V was formally announced today, however, the more interesting news is that David Hayter won't be returning to voice Snake. This is particularly peculiar since Snake's Japanese voice actor is returning to voice Naked Snake/Big Boss in MGS5. When someone asked Kojima about this, he basically gave a non-answer.

This game has only been officially confirmed for 360 and PS3.

However, keep in mind that when the Wii U was hacked, there was a listing for "Metal Gear", so its possible that MGS5 will happen for it (that or the Wii U will get a late port of Rising).

peeup

Smash Lord
People who say "oh he can only punch", myself being one of those people, understand many things about boxing. But the thing is, lots of the things that make boxing so cool and intricate can't exist in the world of Smash. Or, at least, it would be very difficult to implement. The fact of the matter is, outside of a boxing ring, boxing is just punches. Punches are infinitely less exciting than fire, electricity, swords, pikmin, bombs, bow and arrow, etc. The bottom line is that every character has punches as filler material. Having a character that can literally only punch for attacks is really boring.

The only way I could see Mac being a cool character is if Sakurai does with him what Tekken did with Steve Fox. Like kinda reinvent what is actually possible in terms of moveset. Like instead of giving him the standard 3 smashes, 3 tilts, 4 specials, etc, change it up. Make him more of a traditional fighter in that you string together grounded combos consisting of quick attack after quick attack. And I don't mean just hit jab jab ftilt ftilt fsmash. I mean like jab, jab, duck, hook, jab, uppercut, bob/weave, jab, hook, hook, uppercut. Like an actual flurry that you'd see in boxing.

tl;dr I think Mac, if he is in Smsah, will be exceedingly boring. But he has amazing potential.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
You can give Little Mac follow-up options on his ground attacks. A press of A on any move will end up with a second follow-up move like Snake's F-tilt and like Link's forward smash and like many basic neutral move strings.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The thing to remember about punching is that there is not just a punch. Punching comes in varies forms ranging from quick jabs to uppercuts. In general there is a selection of different types of punches that it writes itself.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Little Mac also has lots of personality and style to work with. I'm not really worried about his implementation. He at least wouldn't be any less boring than other characters already present in the roster.

IstillkindofliketheideaofMacgettingfatigued.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
People who say "oh he can only punch", myself being one of those people, understand many things about boxing. But the thing is, lots of the things that make boxing so cool and intricate can't exist in the world of Smash. Or, at least, it would be very difficult to implement. The fact of the matter is, outside of a boxing ring, boxing is just punches. Punches are infinitely less exciting than fire, electricity, swords, pikmin, bombs, bow and arrow, etc. The bottom line is that every character has punches as filler material. Having a character that can literally only punch for attacks is really boring.

The only way I could see Mac being a cool character is if Sakurai does with him what Tekken did with Steve Fox. Like kinda reinvent what is actually possible in terms of moveset. Like instead of giving him the standard 3 smashes, 3 tilts, 4 specials, etc, change it up. Make him more of a traditional fighter in that you string together grounded combos consisting of quick attack after quick attack. And I don't mean just hit jab jab ftilt ftilt fsmash. I mean like jab, jab, duck, hook, jab, uppercut, bob/weave, jab, hook, hook, uppercut. Like an actual flurry that you'd see in boxing.

tl;dr I think Mac, if he is in Smsah, will be exceedingly boring. But he has amazing potential.
Well, you have Balrog and Dudley in Street Fighter and those games have just as much strange stuff as Smash Bros. Ever heard of Badass Normal?

You can give Little Mac follow-up options on his ground attacks. A press of A on any move will end up with a second follow-up move like Snake's F-tilt and like Link's forward smash and like many basic neutral move strings.
In other words, what I've suggested for every character. I'm starting to feel a lot of potential newcomers will benefit greatly to this new extension on the movesets and that will cause all the veterans to get it to (out of balancing concerns and diversity).

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I do not think every character should get this. It is one aspect of a good ground fighter. And it is a way to further define a specific style. It does seem to go well with Little Mac as a major component of his gameplay.

peeup

Smash Lord
Well, you have Balrog and Dudley in Street Fighter and those games have just as much strange stuff as Smash Bros. Ever heard of Badass Normal?
Haha no actually I haven't heard of it, and I ain't too familiar with Street Fighter. Explain por favor.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I do not think every character should get this. It is one aspect of a good ground fighter. And it is a way to further define a specific style. It does seem to go well with Little Mac as a major component of his gameplay.
If you ask me, it should apply even to aerial attacks. Lots of other games have done without any major problems.

Haha no actually I haven't heard of it, and I ain't too familiar with Street Fighter. Explain por favor.
Badass Normal is simply a trope that indicates someone who is very powerful with real world weapons (or fists and feet) in contrast to the rest of the game/show/whatever's characters that have lots of different powers, magic, etc. and can easily give those people a run for their money.

In the case of Balrog and Dudley, neither of them have projectiles, gravity defying stunts, or borderline superpowers, or anything of the sort. Those two are just using their fists strategically. Heck, we might as well throw Elena in there. She's a capoeria fighter who uses only her feet to fight, save for grabbing.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Balrog and Dudley are two boxers in a world of Hadokening Shotos.

They are both badass as they can put up a good fight against anyone on the roster.

One interesting thing is that ALMOST everything they do is actually possible to pull of in real life.

D

Deleted member

Ghosts seem to have the monopoly on moves with the name shadow. Dark type did seem to concentrate on being underhanded and sneaky.

I say Pokemon should have the type poison evolve to Radioactive Type which would be effective against Grass, Water, and Fighting.
It also helps that the type is the "Evil" type in Japan, rather than "Dark" or "Darkness".
This is where thematics such as the witches and hellhounds Shortie brought up come in; those types of things are perceived to be "Evil".
(Like poor Absol. It's "Evil" only because that's how it's viewed as for being sighted when disaster is supposed to strike, even though it is only trying to warn of said disasters.)

Metal Gear Solid V was formally announced today, however, the more interesting news is that David Hayter won't be returning to voice Snake. This is particularly peculiar since Snake's Japanese voice actor is returning to voice Naked Snake/Big Boss in MGS5. When someone asked Kojima about this, he basically gave a non-answer.
Well, isn't Naked Snake/Big Boss older in this? They might be using his actor from 4 in that case.
And is the Japanese voice actor for this game Akio Otsuka or Chikao Otsuka? If it's the former, then yeah, that's Solid Snake's and Naked Snake's actor. If it's the latter, then it's Big Boss' actor from 4.

EDIT: Or a different thing entirely; the reason why Big Boss had a different actor in 4 was because having the two Snakes speaking to each other with the same voice would have been confusing.
And since this game is the prequel to the original Metal Gear title....it could be a hint that Solid will make his chronological debut in this game if Big Boss is not voiced by Hayter.

peeup

Smash Lord
Ah okay thanks guys. Alright well I still don't know... I mean I'm sure it could work if it worked in Street Fighter, but I ain't seen it so I can't say. But I feel like a boxer ain't a Badass Normal. Like going back to Steve Fox... he ain't a Badass Normal. But I still feel like he has a kickass moveset, probably the most interesting in all of Tekken, barring Yoshimitsu. So if Mac could channel Mr. Fox, then I'd be happy.

I dunno man, I just really think it wouldn't be nearly as exciting as so many other options.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ah okay thanks guys. Alright well I still don't know... I mean I'm sure it could work if it worked in Street Fighter, but I ain't seen it so I can't say. But I feel like a boxer ain't a Badass Normal. Like going back to Steve Fox... he ain't a Badass Normal. But I still feel like he has a kickass moveset, probably the most interesting in all of Tekken, barring Yoshimitsu. So if Mac could channel Mr. Fox, then I'd be happy.

I dunno man, I just really think it wouldn't be nearly as exciting as so many other options.
How the hell does a boxer not qualify as a BAN? No super powers, no fantasy weapons, no nothing. And no, lots of characters in that game are very interesting and stand out, not just those two unless you're not bothering to look at more than three moves. You've got Xiaoyu (but boy is she tough to learn) , Nina, the Capos, Lei (practically a full time job mastering him), King, and more.

peeup

Smash Lord
Because he's just normal. I see the definition you gave me as like Sanji from One Piece. Everybody else has sick super powers or crazy weapons. He just kicks people. And that's badass. Punching people isn't badass.

And dude, quit insulting me, no need to. I'm trying to understand you. I know Tekken very well, I know the characters very well (at least the ones in 4 and 5.) When I say interesting moveset, I mean something that is very much set apart from everyone else. Yoshi has a sword, Steve has his ducks. Everybody else has LP RP LK RK. I'm not talking mastering people. I'm talking when I pick up the game to **** around with my friends, which is what Smash is for, I want characters that are unique and interesting. BAN or not, punches are not interesting.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Because he's just normal. I see the definition you gave me as like Sanji from One Piece. Everybody else has sick super powers or crazy weapons. He just kicks people. And that's badass. Punching people isn't badass.

And dude, quit insulting me, no need to. I'm trying to understand you. I know Tekken very well, I know the characters very well (at least the ones in 4 and 5.) When I say interesting moveset, I mean something that is very much set apart from everyone else. Yoshi has a sword, Steve has his ducks. Everybody else has LP RP LK RK. I'm not talking mastering people. I'm talking when I pick up the game to **** around with my friends, which is what Smash is for, I want characters that are unique and interesting. BAN or not, punches are not interesting.
You have very a very strange definition of badass...

He never insulted you.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am not sure if anyone else here knows this, but Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D has been given a release date for both North America and Europe. Its May 24th for both regions. I am really surprised that its being released so soon. I think the existence of the game is good news though in the long run, since they now could easily make a totally original DK platformer for the 3DS using that engine.

peeup

Smash Lord
You have very a very strange definition of badass...

He never insulted you.
"Unless you're not bothering to look at more than three moves." More aggressive than is necessary for a simple debate.

Anyway, let's forget my definition of badass. So okay Mac's a BAN. But he isn't a BAN that punches and kicks and throws and flips and rolls, as I'm sure the Street Fighter BANs do. He punches. And that's it. Yes, there is a huge amount of intricacy, grace, strategy, everything for boxing. But Smash CAN NOT replicate that, no matter how hard it tries. All it can do is replicate the punches. And punches are boring.

D

Deleted member

Balrog and Dudley don't kick.

Aside from that, if you are insinuating that Little Mac can't "flip", "roll", or throw people because he doesn't in his home game, then I have one specific picture for you:

peeup

Smash Lord
...that's not what I'm insinuating. Obviously Sakurai can give him the works with all sorts of cool **** he couldn't do in his game. But why not use a character that has more canon stuff to work with instead of making everything up?

D

Deleted member

...that's not what I'm insinuating. Obviously Sakurai can give him the works with all sorts of cool **** he couldn't do in his game. But why not use a character that has more canon stuff to work with instead of making everything up?
I post an image of a character that had literally everything made up about him in Smash, and you seriously ask a question like that?
C. Falcon had nothing. NOTHING. All he did was drive a car. Now suddenly, he's crazy firey Kamen Rider guy.

D

Deleted member

I don't really know what you're getting at man. I know its possible. And I know its been done. I don't know why.
Because contrary to what you believe, none of the Smash characters have enough "canon stuff" to make a complete moveset without something being non-canon somewhere.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I am not sure if anyone else here knows this, but Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D has been given a release date for both North America and Europe. Its May 24th for both regions. I am really surprised that its being released so soon. I think the existence of the game is good news though in the long run, since they now could easily make a totally original DK platformer for the 3DS using that engine.
Is it just a re-release?

peeup

Smash Lord
Because contrary to what you believe, none of the Smash characters have enough "canon stuff" to make a complete moveset without something being non-canon somewhere.
Well hey no **** buddy. But maybe what if a character could have canon stuff that is more than just punching? Punching is what they do to fill out a character's moveset when they've run out of actual attacks.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Is it just a re-release?
Yes, its a straight port unfortunately (at least according to all the information available so far).

On a sidenote, I have finally surpassed over 5,000 posts. Considering, I have been a member of this site for over six years, its not impressive considering people who have been members for only two years reached that milestone.

D

Deleted member

Well hey no **** buddy. But maybe what if a character could have canon stuff that is more than just punching? Punching is what they do to fill out a character's moveset when they've run out of actual attacks.
I'm just going to let Kuma handle you.
Something tells me he's going to be more effective in tearing into you for this ignorance than I would be.

@Kuma for when he comes on: *tags Kuma in*

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
To be fair though, Sanji is a really ****ty character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom