• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling if there is going to be more pokemon then lucario is going to be cut. They already have 6 reps on the board, adding more is a little extreme.
7:
-Pikachu
-Jigglypuff
-Lucario
-Pokémon Trainer
-Squirtle
-Ivysaur
-Charizard

When you beat classic mode, the list of fighters comes up and they count PT as a separate char. :awesome:

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Pokémon is a franchise with plentiful of fighters, Brawl already planned to have seven characters (maybe even eight), so its hardly a stretch to imagine us getting one or even two more.
Unless there being so many pokemon fighters was one of the reasons those other characters didn't make it into the final product.

D

Deleted member

Unless there being so many pokemon fighters was one of the reasons those other characters didn't make it into the final product.
Yet if that was an issue, we wouldn't have gotten Mewtwo planned in the first place. If Sakurai had his way (and Sonic wasn't included), Mewtwo would have likely returned.

Mewtwo's cut was probably due to time, not because Sakurai and the Pokémon Company though it wasn't worthy of a spot.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Sakurai hadn't mentioned how hard Game Freak were to work with, people wouldn't be attributing Lucario's inclusion solely to marketing/promotion. It was never solely due to marketing/promotion.
True, but the mascot would also have the benefit of being among the more important Pokémons of the generation and strong popularity. I think the Pokémon Company would be more willing than to push for a 6th gen mascot with all of those qualities along with a new type (and it would certainly surpass Zoroark in popularity).

That said, this is all speculation. We can't say that a 6th gen Pokémon is anymore than a possibility at this point.I wouldn't call Lucario "cheap advertisement".
Yeah, TPC would choose one of the new Light types to promote, and in turn it would get popular and TPC might "suggest" Sakurai add it. So, like I said, indirectly it would be because it's light, but in reality it's likely because TPC chose to promote it, and it gained popularity from that. There are exceptions, but TPC is usually the one who decides which Pokemon are the ones to be granted major popularity anyway, by their promotion.

D

Deleted member

Oh I honestly don't know, I was just summarizing some previous posts BUT let's ask ourselves this, why was Ike included in Brawl?
We already know that Ike meets the four criteria to be included, so there's that.

I imagine that recentness was an indirect factor; it got Ike noticed by Sakurai, but I don't think Ike was included due to recentness so much as Sakurai though Ike would be a highly popular character in Smash that was unique and could fit in with the rest of the cast.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh I honestly don't know, I was just summarizing some previous posts BUT let's ask ourselves this, why was Ike included in Brawl?
Because Sakurai didn't know which FE character to include and went to IS, they suggested Ike. Sakurai liked what he could bring to Smash. Not that he didn't have other reasons, such as popularity, but that's why he was added. I'm looking for a source, bear with me.

When you beat classic mode, the list of fighters comes up and they count PT as a separate char. :awesome:
Yeah but Sakurai doesn't. He said there were 39 characters. PKMN Trainer himself doesn't count.

D

Deleted member

If Sakurai hadn't mentioned how hard Game Freak were to work with, people wouldn't be attributing Lucario's inclusion solely to marketing/promotion. It was never solely due to marketing/promotion.

Yeah, TPC would choose one of the new Light types to promote, and in turn it would get popular and TPC might "suggest" Sakurai add it. So, like I said, indirectly it would be because it's light, but in reality it's likely because TPC chose to promote it, and it gained popularity from that. There are exceptions, but TPC is usually the one who decides which Pokemon are the ones to be granted major popularity anyway, by their promotion.
Despte that, there is no guarantee that the Pokemon would end up being super popular.
There are quite a few examples of promotion that never caught on.
Like poor Absol....

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Dealing with the Pokémon Company, especially, is quite difficult. They have a lot of details that need to be just right before they'll agree to anything." Having written about Pokémon ourselves in the past, we know exactly what he means.
Here's the quote exactly btw. I still believe the Pokemon Company suggested Lucario, and as Sakurai says, you gotta jump through the hoops or it's no go with them.

And I don't believe Lucario's SOLE reason for inclusion was promotion. It probably just played a decent part in it.

D

Deleted member

Here's the quote exactly btw. I still believe the Pokemon Company suggested Lucario, and as Sakurai says, you gotta jump through the hoops or it's no go with them.
Within context, it sounds more like certain details about the characters used have to be approved by them and up to their standards or they will raise Hell. Not the characters themselves.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Despte that, there is no guarantee that the Pokemon would end up being super popular.
There are quite a few examples of promotion that never caught on.
Like poor Absol....
To be fair Absol is one of the more popular 3rd gens. Not on the level of Deoxys, Blaziken, Rayquaza, etc. though, you're right.

If Game Freak creates a character similar enough yet different enough to Lucario and Zoroark, makes it light, and unveils it before the game comes out with an accompanying movie sometime in the future, it'd probably work pretty well. No guarantee ofc, but it would find some sort of a fanbase.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Within context, it sounds more like certain details about the characters used have to be approved by them and up to their standards or they will raise Hell. Not the characters themselves.
That sounds a lot like what Disney had to say about working with Nintendo, Capcom etc.. about their characters, when working on Wreck-it-Ralph.

D

Deleted member

I never did get why people want a Light type to begin with.
I mean, Dark type is about dirty trick fighting, not about the element of darkness.

That sounds a lot like what Disney had to say about working with Nintendo, Capcom etc.. about their characters, when working on Wreck-it-Ralph.
Exactly.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I wonder how Chrono will feel when he sees Tharja, Lyn, Micaiah and Lucina threads all on the first page. :smirk: :laugh:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think the reason he hasn't been here is because he has seen them.

RIP Chrono.

Whenever he was Born - Whenever he saw the list of Front Page Characters

:troll:

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Idk. Smash is huge and having a new character is a huge promotion. Think younger audiences. Mewtwo isn't prominent to them. what is, are the new Pokemon who appear in the latest movies and latest games. Little kids being the impressionable and obsessive things they are would go nuts over somebody like lucario after they have become a fan of him in smash. Pokemon is a large franchise and they probably just want to do what will benefit them the most.

This is all speculation though. I do know for a fact that they're picky about how their characters appear.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Still kind of stupid how people think we play with generations instead of characters.
LOL!? What!?
People want to play Gen 5 in Smash? I've never seen that.

I don't think just because it is a new generation it warrants a newcomer position. I've seen on various sites people saying:

"Gen 3 isn't represented, so Blaziken for Smash!"

That means by 2140 when we are on Gen 250 (I'm making up numbers here but you get the point) that we should have 250 pokemon reps for the SSB 150.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Dealing with the Pokémon Company, especially, is quite difficult. They have a lot of details that need to be just right before they'll agree to anything." Having written about Pokémon ourselves in the past, we know exactly what he means.

Aaaaaan we got Charizard using Rock Smash.

The Pokémon Company seems reaaaaly confused.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I never did get why people want a Light type to begin with.
I mean, Dark type is about dirty trick fighting, not about the element of darkness.
No way.. Look at all their examples. I mean, murcrow the witch, Houndoom the hell dog. Umbrion evolving at night. All about DARKNESS

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I wonder how Chrono will feel when he sees Tharja, Lyn, Micaiah and Lucina threads all on the first page. :smirk: :laugh:
Like I said before the female Fire Emblem character fanbase is very divided on who it should be. Throw Anna and female My Unit in the mix as well. Of all those, Tharja is probably the worst though since 80% of her appeal seems to be largely her scantily clad nature.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Personally I always thought it was hard to work with Game Freak and tPC because of the sheer amount of Pokemon content each Smash game gets that it becomes a chore to get permission for them all.

Honestly I don't really care if Lucario was suggested, he worked out in the end did he not? I do have enough confidence in Sakurai that he doesn't go for directly for promotional purposes (kinda pointless anyway seeing that Brawl could have never come out before DP), I'm also confident that a company wouldn't be dumb enough to put a silly monopoly on their characters (they were okay with Ivysaur over Bulbasaur were they not?).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Like I said before the female Fire Emblem character fanbase is very divided on who it should be. Throw Anna and female My Unit in the mix as well. Of all those, Tharja is probably the worst though since 80% of her appeal seems to be largely her scantily clad nature.
And then I am in the 20% that actually enjoys using her in the game, haha.

Glad to see you're still alive after seeing the front page, though!

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
speaking of which, have you seen the supposedly only figurine made from FE13? Its tharja leaning over a pile of books. Terrible. If you see it you'll want to jump off a skyscraper like I do.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I saw that figure. It's completely out of character for her and pretty shameful fan service if you ask me...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
speaking of which, have you seen the supposedly only figurine made from FE13? Its tharja leaning over a pile of books. Terrible. If you see it you'll want to jump off a skyscraper like I do.
Its stuff like that I have little hope for the next FE game. Its very creepy that IS now actively catering to the otaku market.

D

Deleted member

No way.. Look at all their examples. I mean, murcrow the witch, Houndoom the hell dog. Umbrion evolving at night. All about DARKNESS
I really hope you're joking.
Take a look at all the moves. The only two that have to do with actual darkness is Dark Void and Dark Pulse. The rest is all about underhandedness and overall dirty trick fighting.
Also factor in the whole "honorable trained fighters are superior to fighters that result to dirty tricks" theme between Dark and Fighting, and why Fighting beats Dark.
Then we have an immunity to Psychic, which can be attributed to the concept that you cannot predict exactly what an underhanded fighter can do.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
@Chrono Hey, at the very least it's not mandatory for the game itself. I mean, once they start pulling more of that stuff into the actual gameplay, DLC withstanding, then we can really worry.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
@Chrono Hey, at the very least it's not mandatory for the game itself. I mean, once they start pulling more of that stuff into the actual gameplay, DLC withstanding, then we can really worry.
You can bet it will happen considering how well it went over with a large segment for the people who bought FE13.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You can bet it will happen considering how well it went over with a large segment for the people who bought FE13.
I don't deny it could happen. Although, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't they make more money if that sort of stuff was kept as DLC? Then more people would buy that to supplement the main game, provided that they want the fanservice-y DLC.

It's sort of funny, when I looked up the Beach DLC to see what the fuss was about, and I think I'd buy it if only to hear that nice tropical rendition of the FE theme...I'm always in the wrong demographic...

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I hope to God IS looks at FE13 and says "Hey, they really like our changes to the battle system." Rather than "Fan service is great!"

Everyone. Boycott bonds DLC. please.
and I think I'd buy it if only to hear that nice tropical rendition of the FE theme...I'm always in the wrong demographic...
and now you don't have to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mzKaOs8Dfk
pretty obscure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom