• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
[quote="Moon Monkey, post: 15414043, member: 50800"
This however was a classic
[/quote]
How does it compare to:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
"SPOILERS FOR THE NEXT 3D MARIO GAME BELOW"
"NO I'M SERIOUS, MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW"
"THIS IS YOUR LAST WARNING, TURN BACK NOW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE BIGGEST SECRET OF E3 2013"
The next Mario game will be about bowser kidnapping Peach and Mario having to rescue her.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
None gives love to Toot Toot Sonic Warrior (You Can Do Anything?)

And I have to agree wholeheartedly about Wii U. The way I've seen it, it's not really compelling me to get it, especially if NSMBU and all kinds of mature games I've seen mostly as the primary game library for it.

I'm quite interested myself on what's the next 3D Mario like. I hope they don't play on nostalgia though again like they did with 3D Land.

Also I managed to FINALLY get some taste of FE Awakening now. The demo came today and it was dang sweet. (-´v`-)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Drought, it's calm
be-fore the storm,
When E3 hits in,
we'll disappear like worms...

Oh man, when E3 hits, it'll break all the foundations of earth.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Nintendo, give us some news.... We're on the edge of our sanity.... If E3 doesn't come fast, we will perish in the drought.... (-_-)

volbound1700

Smash Master
@ Falkoopa - I want Smash to eventually go in the direction of a multi-party crossover fighting title. It could be so much more bigger of a series then it is even know.

Also Nintendo DOES NEED THE SALES. Wii U is struggling right now as is the company. If you do not see that then you are just a blind homer. Nintendo with the Wii U is almost as bad as Sega with the Saturn with regard to losses and sales. 3DS is bailing them a little.

@ N3ON - I would still say on the meter of general noticeability that Pac-Man is still higher then most the characters below him. If you were to go to the general store/grocery store of your town with a picture of Pac-Man and a picture of Samus, I would say more people would know Pac-Man than Samus. Also disagree on Cloud vs. Sonic using the same argument. Heck, Sonic even has an actual gene named after him and Dr. Robotnik by the Scientific Community. He is in the video game walk of fame and is was arguable in the 1990s more well-known then Mario and Mickey Mouse based on polls done. Also Sonic and Pikachu were both the first video game characters to have their own balloons in the Macy Thanksgiving Parade. Not to mention Sega is trying to set Sonic up to be the next "Hello Kitty" marketing wise in Japan.

I mean I still want the vast majority of the roster to still be Nintendo but if I was approached by 3rd parties or they were willing to work with me on Smash, I would put their characters in if I was Sakurai and also push their characters in Smash so that those 3rd parties would develop games for the Wii U using those characters. I would try to help Nintendo generally in that manner.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Mulan? Make a man out of you?

EDIT: NVM...It's pretty obvious to me now

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Nintendo asked for sons, but all they got in this forum were a bunch of daughters

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
In the wake of a deathly war, one of Nintendo's mightiest falls, and all look over at Medusa turning Mario to stone. The surreal moment of their flagship leader being defeated by the forces of evil is caught in a slow motion glimpse of everyone's reations. All with this song playing Within' a matter of moments, though, everyone must continue the fighting. For peace, and now, for Mario.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
@ Falkoopa - I want Smash to eventually go in the direction of a multi-party crossover fighting title. It could be so much more bigger of a series then it is even know.

Also Nintendo DOES NEED THE SALES. Wii U is struggling right now as is the company. If you do not see that then you are just a blind homer. Nintendo with the Wii U is almost as bad as Sega with the Saturn with regard to losses and sales. 3DS is bailing them a little.

@ N3ON - I would still say on the meter of general noticeability that Pac-Man is still higher then most the characters below him. If you were to go to the general store/grocery store of your town with a picture of Pac-Man and a picture of Samus, I would say more people would know Pac-Man than Samus. Also disagree on Cloud vs. Sonic using the same argument. Heck, Sonic even has an actual gene named after him and Dr. Robotnik by the Scientific Community. He is in the video game walk of fame and is was arguable in the 1990s more well-known then Mario and Mickey Mouse based on polls done. Also Sonic and Pikachu were both the first video game characters to have their own balloons in the Macy Thanksgiving Parade. Not to mention Sega is trying to set Sonic up to be the next "Hello Kitty" marketing wise in Japan.

I mean I still want the vast majority of the roster to still be Nintendo but if I was approached by 3rd parties or they were willing to work with me on Smash, I would put their characters in if I was Sakurai and also push their characters in Smash so that those 3rd parties would develop games for the Wii U using those characters. I would try to help Nintendo generally in that manner.
I agree Nintendo needs to sell Wii Us, but that has nothing to do with Smash Bros.
Brawl is the best selling fighting game EVER. It reached 12 million copies. With two third parties.
Really you're talking about the inclusion of third parties like a life or death situation. Smash Bros. doesn't need third parties. That doesn't mean that their inclusion is a bad thing don't get me wrong, but with balance. What you want is something different.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
With Sakurai at the helm, that's not a direction Smash will go in.

The characters that will cause the most sales are already in the game. They don't need any 3rd parties, Nintendo's characters and the Smash brand name could do fine on their own.

Again, awareness of a character doesn't necessarily translate to hype or popularity for Smash. A lot of people know who Pac-Man is, but not many of them actually care if he shows up in Smash. The characters that are most requested/popular cause the biggest amount of hype. Pac-Man is not only outclassed in that regard by a number of 3rd parties, but also by many Nintendo characters, as this is Smash Bros, not overall awareness of video game characters.

I didn't say Sonic was less well-known than Cloud, I said IN JAPAN Cloud is MORE POPULAR. Being well-known and being popular don't always go hand in hand, grasp that. The Scientific Community that named the Sonic gene, the Walk of Game, most of the polls done in the 90s (Sonic was at the height of popularity in the early 90s, and Cloud didn't even exist until 97, now the results in Japan are different), and the Macy's Parade are WESTERN. Sega can market Sonic however they want to, but in Japan Cloud is still more popular in general.

Several years ago Japan was polled and the most popular characters video game characters were 1. Mario and 2. Cloud. Sonic wasn't in the top 10. Source
More recently, Famitsu did a top 50 most popular character poll and Cloud came in third, while Sonic was tenth. Interestingly enough, Snake was first. Source

Sure, in the west Sonic is more popular, I never denied that. And Sonic was more requested for Smash in Japan due to his rivalry with Mario and Cloud's general absence from Nintendo systems. But Cloud is more popular in Japan. And he would create crazy hype there if he was to be in Smash (which I'm not for), moreso than Pac-Man. Hell, he'd create more hype in the west than Pac-Man would.

We'd all make at least one decision different than Sakurai has/will, but it ultimately comes down to his mentality, which is that 3rd parties are to be used sparingly.

Awakening could use coming faster to the European game shelves now...
Least you guys got the Rainfall games months before we did. Or in Pandora's Tower's case, a whole damn year. :rolleyes::laugh:
EDIT: And Fatal Frame. :glare:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Europe also got a really awesome version of sonic generations special edition...AND Rayman Origins

peeup

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Pac-Man, despite being one of the most major gaming icons in human history, would create practically zero hype if he were unveiled as playable in Smash. Like, none. Because nobody (AFAIK) actually wants to play as Pac-Man. Sure he's hugely important to gaming history, but he's bland as ****. Sonic had a colorful personality going for him, as well as a unique niche as being lightning fast, and also he was the posterchild for the rivalry against Nintendo. That's a lot. Pac-Man has no personality (again, AFAIK), his unique niche is eating dots, and he has absolutely nothing to do with Nintendo.

Pac-Man is dumb. If we need a token Namco rep, give us Heihachi.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think more people would mock smash for heichi because he's in playstation smash

D

Deleted member

volbound1000 said:
Pac-Man is iconically almost as big as Mario. Look at all the references in pop culture. You don't understand because you were probably born long after his heyday but he was the image of video game throughout the 1980s and is still very often reference in pop-culture.
Something I want to note here. I find it interesting how Pac-Man supporters constantly bring up his iconic status, yet if it was such a big plus towards his inclusion, why didn't Sakurai bother to make room to include Pac-Man in Brawl (either by including him over Sonic or making Pac-Man the 3rd third-party addition)? Clearly his iconic status should have been enough to add him then, but somehow it wasn't.

Not saying this doesn't help Pac-Man, but I do feel as supporters overestimate how much this would boost Pac-Man's odds.
Volbound1000 said:
I am trying to defend the casual Smash fanbase which makes up 80-90% of the people that would buy it and most of them, as I do, would prefer characters like Pac-Man over characters from games that are so obscure no one has ever heard of them.

Now if Nintendo wanted to beef up the Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Kirby rosters with big names from those series, that would be better IMO then added a bunch of no-names.
Roy is the definition of "no-name" characters pre-Melee and yet he got in. Other characters that are relatively obscure are Ness & Lucas (in the West), Marth (in the West), Ike, Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch. Sakurai doesn't care too much if a character isn't all that well-known, only if they would make good additions. Clearly, Sakurai thought said "no-names" were worthy of playable status.
Oasis_S said:
Time to start adding Goku and Spider-Man.
I would not buy the game if both were in. Thank god Sakurai has extremely high standards for characters.
volbound1000 said:
I am not for dumping the little guys or adding 10 3rd parties but my point is that we need at least 2 big-name third parties IMO. A la Megaman and Pac-man. Cloud would be nice as N3ON pointed out and is a big add for the future.

There just isn't much left from the Nintendo roster. Little Mac, Mewtwo (a re-add), Ridley, King K Rool, and a Golden Sun character would be nice. Getting a Xenoblade rep would also be helpful because it seems to be an up and coming series. The rest is pretty much digging from the barrell. Nintendo is better off getting big name 3rd parties or beefing up their big series.
How many times do we have to say that we do not need third-parties in Smash? Sakurai himself has no qualms with getting rid of them entirely if he wants to because third-parties are meant to be treated as a special treat for the fans. Along with Sakurai reminiscing about the third-parties characters sometimes being harder to deal with than the game itself; more reason to minimize third-party additions.

volbound1700

Smash Master
@N3ON - Perhaps to Gamers it would be huger to get Cloud but to Casuals (who are the reason Wii outsold Xbox and PS3) Pac-Man is a bigger deal because most haven't played Final Fantasy.

Cloud is huge, in fact most people I talked about had him in their top 5 to add to Smash (apparently forgetting the fact he was not on Nintendo system). Now to be fair out of the 5, only 3 had Smash Brothers while the other two bumped over the other systems (one didn't even own a Nintendo system).

As I mention, I support Pac-Man more because I grew up in the 90s and remember the 80s well. Early 90s still had many of the extensions of the 1980s. It would draw attention if Pac-Man was included and I think he would have a very fun moveset with Sakurai at the helm. In fact, I think Pac-Man will be in the game because chances are Sakurai played Pac-Man as a kid and he has already shown to love the classic games based on past character selections: Ice Climbers, Pit, Mr. Game & Watch, ROB, Pit, etc.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
@N3ON - Perhaps to Gamers it would be huger to get Cloud but to Casuals (who are the reason Wii outsold Xbox and PS3) Pac-Man is a bigger deal because most haven't played Final Fantasy.

Cloud is huge, in fact most people I talked about had him in their top 5 to add to Smash (apparently forgetting the fact he was not on Nintendo system). Now to be fair out of the 5, only 3 had Smash Brothers while the other two bumped over the other systems (one didn't even own a Nintendo system).

As I mention, I support Pac-Man more because I grew up in the 90s and remember the 80s well. Early 90s still had many of the extensions of the 1980s. It would draw attention if Pac-Man was included and I think he would have a very fun moveset with Sakurai at the helm. In fact, I think Pac-Man will be in the game because chances are Sakurai played Pac-Man as a kid and he has already shown to love the classic games based on past character selections: Ice Climbers, Pit, Mr. Game & Watch, ROB, Pit, etc.
Pacman would make a great stage. If sakurai chooses to include him in any way I'm willing to bet it will be the classic arcade level.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
It'd be awesome if the level had certain spots where opponents could reappear on the other side of the stage instead of getting KO'd, ala classic arcade Pac-Man offscreen routes.

Smooth Criminal

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
We must be tranquil as a forest, but on fire within'

@vol you must have forgotten about melee, when we got no names over bigger Nintendo characters, seriously adding pointless 3rd parties over other characters that deserve to be in is pointless

Besides wouldn't Nintendo benefit more from smaller series and characters being in and having there popularity increased, or having to go through legal troubles to get 10 characters to increase the sales of one game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom