• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, considering Ridley's on his roster, I'm pretty sure he's not serious. ;)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ever seen a Walmart customer?

Someone out there makes big clothing

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If Pokemon introduces a new type, do you think that will mean something for Smash? In terms of Playable characters, of course

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe Sylveon is the new type.

I heard people suspecting it because of the mystery around it's typing

D

Deleted member

If Pokemon introduces a new type, do you think that will mean something for Smash? In terms of Playable characters, of course
Remember that Light type idea you had earlier in the topic? If our mascot was a Light Type, I'd be all over it. So much awesomeness can come from that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@N3ON - Perhaps to Gamers it would be huger to get Cloud but to Casuals (who are the reason Wii outsold Xbox and PS3) Pac-Man is a bigger deal because most haven't played Final Fantasy.
Sakurai has previously added a 3rd party character due to their vocal demand and popularity. Where do you think he hears this demand? Not from casuals, the gamers are the ones to fill out Sakurai's poll and make their character choices known. He has shown he listens to popularity before, and which character do you think would end up with more popularity, Cloud or Pac-Man? Not that these two specific characters are in direct competition with each other or anything. And yeah, Pac-Man has a much better chance than Cloud this time around, for several reasons, but popularity isn't one of them. I also think you're underestimating how many casuals are aware and a fan of Cloud. Maybe more people are aware of Pac-Man, but Cloud would also certainly appeal to both gamers and casuals.

I don't feel like defending Cloud anymore though, he's not a character I support, or think will be included in Smash. He would be a more popular addition than Pac-Man though.

As I mention, I support Pac-Man more because I grew up in the 90s and remember the 80s well. Early 90s still had many of the extensions of the 1980s. It would draw attention if Pac-Man was included and I think he would have a very fun moveset with Sakurai at the helm. In fact, I think Pac-Man will be in the game because chances are Sakurai played Pac-Man as a kid and he has already shown to love the classic games based on past character selections: Ice Climbers, Pit, Mr. Game & Watch, ROB, Pit, etc.
First off, Sakurai doesn't play favourites with his roster choices. He included all those retro characters you listed (including Pit twice), but his favourite is Mach Rider. It's entirely possible he loved Pac-Man back in the day, but that's not why he would add him. Secondly, who's to say he doesn't love Tales? Or Tekken? He technically could have a bias in many different ways, but because he doesn't act on his bias, it really doesn't matter.

But overall, I'm not trying to say Pac-Man won't be included. I'm not even trying to say he shouldn't be included. I agree he could be made an interesting and fun character. All I'm saying is there's no way he'd be the seventh most hype-generating character in the history of any possible eligible addition to Smash, including existing characters. He has very little popularity, which is generally required to have a notable amount of hype.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Remember that Light type idea you had earlier in the topic? If our mascot was a Light Type, I'd be all over it. So much awesomeness can come from that.
That's what I was sort of implying. The next mascot ends up being light/fairy/magic type. Do you think that would mean much to Sakurai / TPC?

IMO, Lightcario would mean A LOT to TPC. And it might spark interest in Sakurai from an interesting point of view.

And I'm really betting on Sylveon being light/fay/magic type.

D

Deleted member

That's what I was sort of implying. The next mascot ends up being light/fairy/magic type. Do you think that would mean much to Sakurai / TPC?
I think it depends on whenever or not the Pokémon Company goes up to Sakurai and suggest such a 6th gen Pokémon in Smash. If so, I do think Sakurai would like the idea and make room for him, but if not, I do feel as a 6th gen newcomer will get overlooked and we will either get Zoroark, Genesect (although that's stretching it) or no newcomers.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think type will affect Sakurai's decision to include a character or not. It's really the stuff we always argue about (importance, popularity, relevance, potential, etc.) that affects the character choices.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Because apparently introducing a new type will automatically mean that it will be included on the roster. I mean the Dark and Steel types were introduced around the time Melee was released but you don't exactly see Scizor or Houndoom on the roster.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think the type will be a big influence on who nintendo display as their mascot for this generation

and the mascot will influence who would be picked as the gen 6 charaactter

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't think type will affect Sakurai's decision to include a character or not. It's really the stuff we always argue about (importance, popularity, relevance, potential, etc.) that affects the character choices.
New light typing = potential

I mean, really, the only character that slightly resembles a light based user is Palutena. But really, I see it entirely possible that TPC pulls a Cario and "suggests" a Pokemon. IF they did that, between Zoroark and 6th Gen Light type, I would see them pushing for the new OMGZ WOWZA! Light type.

Because apparently introducing a new type will automatically mean that it will be included on the roster. I mean the Dark and Steel types were introduced around the time Melee was released but you don't exactly see Scizor or Houndoom on the roster.
I never said it did. And we didn't get a stand out new type character in Second Gen. Lugia and Pichu are the biggest characters from that Gen and we got Pichu.

I think the type will be a big influence on who nintendo display as their mascot for this generation

and the mascot will influence who would be picked as the gen 6 charaactter
QFT

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Besides, I thought Super Smash Bros. was a series of fighting games that brings together varies Nintendo characters together, not to sell out cheap advertisement.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Besides, I thought Super Smash Bros. was a series of fighting games that brings together varies Nintendo characters together, not to sell out cheap advertisement.
Look at Roy and Lucario.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I have a feeling if there is going to be more pokemon then lucario is going to be cut. They already have 6 reps on the board, adding more is a little extreme.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
New light typing = potential

I mean, really, the only character that slightly resembles a light based user is Palutena. But really, I see it entirely possible that TPC pulls a Cario and "suggests" a Pokemon. IF they did that, between Zoroark and 6th Gen Light type, I would see them pushing for the new OMGZ WOWZA! Light type.
Sure, but every type has potential. Even the types we already have still have more potential. So it's not like light is at an advantage potential-wise, they're all pretty equal.

I think TPC would also push to promote their newest gen and the one they would currently be selling, so yeah, if Light is added, it probably would be a light type that's getting all the promotion, but that decision would really be made regardless of Smash. If they were promoting... like a Grass type, that would be included in Smash instead, should they decide to push for a character. The fact that it's Light really wouldn't effect it's chances, it would be the fact that TPC was using it heavily in promotion that would be the cause of things.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The fact that it's Light really wouldn't effect it's chances, it would be the fact that TPC was using it heavily in promotion that would be the cause of things.
Because it's the new light type TPC would be promoting them heavily...

Roy is literally the only example of cheap selling out on rosters.
Lucario was most likely pushed to be playable in Smash via TPC. How is TPC pushing a new mascot any different?

I'll never understand how people consider the standpoint Lucario was in Pre-Brawl so much different than the standpoint Zoroark/6th Gen Mascot is Pre-Smash4.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Because it's the new light type TPC would be promoting them heavily...
Yes, indirectly it would get in because it is light, but because that would be the current Pokemon TPC was shoving down our throats, not because Sakurai necessarily wanted to add a light type. Like I said, if they were promoting a Pokemon of any other type instead, that Pokemon would probably get in just the same.

D

Deleted member

Yes, I'm sure Lucario being, I don't know, the most requested Pokemon for Brawl, and overall being a very notable and popular addition to the line up of 'Mons, even getting his own film (and he's not even a Legendary) had nothing to do with it.
It was all meddling by The Pokemon Company to mass advertise for their latest Generation. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member

True, but the mascot would also have the benefit of being among the more important Pokémons of the generation and strong popularity. I think the Pokémon Company would be more willing than to push for a 6th gen mascot with all of those qualities along with a new type (and it would certainly surpass Zoroark in popularity).

That said, this is all speculation. We can't say that a 6th gen Pokémon is anymore than a possibility at this point.
Look at Roy and Lucario.
I wouldn't call Lucario "cheap advertisement".

I haven't seen anything that indicates that Roy was in just to promote his game. He was in to promote, but for the "entire franchise", not just FE6.

As for Lucario, we don't know the reason why he was included (other than Sakurai's four criteria). I'm not even sure if we even have a source that state that the Pokémon Company suggested Lucario's inclusion.
I have a feeling if there is going to be more pokemon then lucario is going to be cut. They already have 6 reps on the board, adding more is a little extreme.
Pokémon is a franchise with plentiful of fighters, Brawl already planned to have seven characters (maybe even eight), so its hardly a stretch to imagine us getting one or even two more.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
So in summary, Roy, Ike and Lucario were just promo chars. :awesome:
I sincerely doubt they will be the last "Promo" characters. I have a feeling with Ike though, Sakurai just didn't know who to add. And they were like "HEY THIS DUDE" and he was like "K" I'm thinking Lucario was more "Hey Sakurai, we know you wanna add x characters from Pokemon, but you should really also add Lucario cuzz we want that" So, I mean in ways they were all just picked by not Sakurai out right. They all aren't necessarily PROMO characters. But IF we got a new Light Mascot, I believe he would be in a similar situation as Lucario.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I always thought Lucario was included because it was a popular Pokemon with positive reception from both fans and critics, but I guess it was simply included to promote some game... I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom