• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Would you/anyone view Lyn and Takamaru as in competition with each other.

Seems to me Lyn would be rather pointless when you could add Takamaru, who would play similarly but with his own samurai/ninja flare that would feel much more FRESH to the roster as a whole, especially alongside all that old-timey Japanesey stuff he'd bring with his stage/music. You'd get more out of Takamaru, basically. Despite all the different katana-related martial arts Kuma might be able to list off.
Different style of swordplay. Takamaru isn't nearly as fast as Lyn is depicted, and Takameru places a heavier focus on ranged weapons and the like. Whereas Lyn is mostly raw speed.

It's like comparing Ike to Marth and saying they are the same because they use a western sword when they are clearly not.

Basically,

Lyn = Himura Kenshin
Takamaru would be more like a mix of Ryouma (the dead guy that gave Zoro his sword in Thriller Bark) from One Piece and Shishiou from Ruroni Kenshin.

Or maybe, just about anyone from Bleach for Takamaru, considering they use Spells and stuff in Bleach. Rukia maybe?

The difference is that one keeps the sword drawn (Takamaru), the other only draws it when attacking. This subtle difference makes a huge difference in the overall fighting style.

Basically with those two it comes down to Kendo vs. Battoujutsu.

Mitsurugi from Soul Calibur with Ranged weapons and Spells added is a good way to describe Takamaru now that I think about it. A slower, more tactical style with a range of weapons and tools to mix up his opponents. More planned and careful swordplay.

Whereas Lyn would be like this:

Just Raw Speed and killing intent. With swift precise motions

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would like to point out in Samurai Warriors 3, Takamaru uses a more aggressive style of fighting more along the lines of battojustu. In fact he doesn't even use the signature shurikens in that game at all.

D

Deleted member

I would like to point out in Samurai Warriors 3, Takamaru uses a more aggressive style of fighting more along the lines of battojustu. In fact he doesn't even use the signature shurikens in that game at all.
Really? I've only seen clips from the original NES game (a lets play actually), you got any links?

Also, what ARE all of Takamaru's abilities? I seem to recall him turning invisible and stuff.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
HURM. No wonder we disagree. Your idea of Lyn lines up well enough with my idea of Takamaru. Even that last little bit you added. Exactly how I was going to sum him up. SPEED AND PRECISION.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Here's Takamaru in Samurai Warriors 3

Here, his sword is out at all times. And I forgot how deliciously psychotic Sojiro was. I haven't watched Kenshin since it was taken off Toonami.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, what ARE all of Takamaru's abilities? I seem to recall him turning invisible and stuff.
Precision and swift sword play.
Effective usage of projectiles like shurikens.
Some magical capabilities like throwing fireballs and summoning lightening storms.
Ninja like qualities like turning invisible.
Being very awkward near women. :troll:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
He also deflects projectiles with his sword. Maybe his F-Smash could be like Ness's then?

BY THE WAY, his Final Smash would totally be that "Inazuma Lightning" or whatever it's called, yeah? I don't remember if this is quite how it worked in the game, but I imagine in Smash he would send out 4 bolts of lightning in different directions that span the entire screen, and slowly spin around. Hopefully you don't get caught in a dead end or up in the air.

D

Deleted member

I think the pure irony of it all is that Takamaru can serve well as a Link semi-clone, and it would make a crapton of sense, being from the sister series of Legend of Zelda. :troll:

I mean think about it;
Replace the arrows with charged fireballs that are fired in a similar manner.
Replace the boomerang with a fuuma shuriken (Yes, I am well aware he does not use that type of shuriken, but it's still a shuriken).
Don't need to change much to copy the spin attack, since all its just spinning in a circle with the sword sticking out.
Replace the regular bombs with thunder bombs.
And, don't need to change much for the Final Smash either, since it's horribly generic; trapping an opponent with magic, then a flurry of sword strikes followed with a strong strike that smashes them out of the trap.

Seems to me Takamaru is just an overglorified Link clone. :awesome:

@Kuma/Manly
I'm well aware Takamaru has the potential to be different, and will likely be much different. I'm just trying to get a rise out of the anti-clone extremist Habanero.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
He also has sword beams that look kinda like Ichigo's getsuga tensho. Also check out 3:55 in the video. Can I say final smash material.

D

Deleted member

HURM. No wonder we disagree. Your idea of Lyn lines up well enough with my idea of Takamaru. Even that last little bit you added. Exactly how I was going to sum him up. SPEED AND PRECISION.
Funny, I always pictured Takamaru as a sort of Mitsurugi. But I don't know much of him tbh...

For the record, Mitsurugi is a badass.

He also has sword beams that look kinda like Ichigo's getsuga tensho. Also check out 3:55 in the video. Can I say final smash material.
Hahahaha

GESTUGA TENSHOU!!!

Goddamn, the memories.

Btw, Ike had a Getsuga Tenshou as well, but his was scrapped because Sakurai felt it was OP.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
...Hm? Getting a rise out of me? Funny, I don't feel rise-ish at the moment. I do have a slight neck cramp if that counts as something.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
We're speaking about Takamaru now?

I still feel like he'd be a swift swordfighter (Offensive to Link's Defensive) and the one who asks for lots of reflexes and reaction time to use successfully. I think something of a Marth's and Link's lovechild in means of playstyle.

He'd have some projectiles but I'd suggest them to be limited to two (shurikens and fireballs)

Down B would be Invicibility Cloak which might either or not be some variation of MK's Dimensional Cape.

And yep. Inazuma Lightning would be the Final Smash. I guess the idea would be that once it's activated, the lightning strikes ONCE. Reaction time would be minimal from the opponents. The range would be medium though.

Oaster's suggestion isn't too bad either though.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Also check out 3:55 in the video. Can I say final smash material.
Definitely.
Takamaru has all the potential to be a sword user with a very different flavor from the likes of Link, Marth and Meta Knight.
Seeing that he can use shurikens and magic (?), he could also have some long range moves.
I agree with Horsetail in him being a mix of Link's and Marth's playstyles.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Also missed Manly's post. But I agree with everything wholeheartedly. I have loads of characters I got to love for their own character and what they could bring in alone. Hell, I think I remember not being very geared towards Lyn back when Manly made his topic but nowadays I'm actually more interested to see her featured in Smash again. IMO if the character feels fun to play as (and you can make him or her sound so), that's quite enough to up them to the level of considering 'em some notch. And then we move on is the character relevant and what else, but it's not always took in account.

Also I bet casual players would like a flashy lightning-fast killer samurai chick that is Lyn. So it wouldn't be just catering to competitive people.

Goshers, so far so much discussion about the Sacaean chick. I gotta yet see others getting worked up for other FE Females like this.

Also so agreeing that GBA FE-games had the most best Crit. Animations. They just took more artistic and rather more flashy approach to them which makes 'em stick out more. I

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
They say that Little Mac would be a boring addition due to boxing solely focusing and encouraging the use of punching, but actually that's a charm in it's own right. Boxing is a sport that requires reflexes and strategy in order to take down the opponent, as simply being reckless can be fatal. I would like the idea of a type of play that centers around how boxing is.
You know like, that's an opinion, and like, just because you don't agree with it, doesn't make it right. Nothing you said makes me think Little Mac is any less boring. Dudley and Balrog are just as boring.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You know like, that's an opinion, and like, just because you don't agree with it, doesn't make it right. Nothing you said makes me think Little Mac is any less boring. Dudley and Balrog are just as boring.
Because omnicidal robot girls with evil projectiles are SOOOOOO much more interesting.

And they are.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Mac could be the fighterous fighter. A fighter that puts "fight" to "fighting".

Something Sukapon could have done in Melee but didn't manage to.

Mac would do his job to the end.

EDIT: Also I hit 3000 already?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
BTW, Shorts, girls with squirrel tails are a lot like Dudley and Balrog, only much cuter and fluffier.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Also, Need For Speed Wii U was kinda just confirmed. Uh **** yes?

BTW, Shorts, girls with squirrel tails are a lot like Dudley and Balrog, only much cuter and fluffier.
Even she has that disappearing hologram thing though.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
How about this. The FE7 lord trio has Roy, Ike, and Marth where their outfits.

Roy gets Eliwood because he is his son.
Ike gets Hector because Ike was partially based off of Hector and has the ability to wield axes.
Marth gets Lyn due to being the most feminine of the trio and a history of not wearing pants. :troll:

Seriously though, I could see FE7 not being referenced at all in Smash 4 (outside of one song and a few stickers), and that most of Smash 4's FE content is taken from FE13 (model rips for trophies, and music file rips for music).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The irony of course is that Fire Emblem: Awakening is the game that pretty much reintroduces the varies lords from past games like Marth, Roy, Lyn, Leif, Ike, Michaiah, etc., so whatever excuse over recentness is a moot point.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Roy gets Eliwood because he is his son.
Ike gets Hector because Ike was partially based off of Hector and has the ability to wield axes.
Marth gets Lyn due to being the most feminine of the trio and a history of not wearing pants. :troll:.
Roy should get Elbert as well. And Marth should get Lucina. Ike should get Uther. :troll:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Roy should get Elbert as well. And Marth should get Lucina. Ike should get Uther. :troll:
If we are going to do addition lords outside for FE7 for alternate costumes that would make sense (as in wearing their clothes), it would be:

Roy: Leaf
Ike: Chrom
Marth: Lucina and/or Celice

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Habanero: I know, but like I implied that Lyn wouldn't be accessible to casuals. I think by "flashy" I mean that her attacks show some degree of style and speed that looks cool to people? Like what makes them like ninjas. It'd be a neat aesthetic style for Lyn's moveset. (I guess something similar what Manly spoke about in her playstyle.)

Chrono: But we would still get some retro stuff? I guess I'd wait for FE4/5-representation then as the new FE Retro thing. It was the era that was sadly left out from Brawl...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The irony of course is that Fire Emblem: Awakening is the game that pretty much reintroduces the varies lords from past games like Marth, Roy, Lyn, Leif, Ike, Michaiah, etc., so whatever excuse over recentness is a moot point.
So would yuo argue, IF it were up to the fans/Sakurai (Not so much IS) it would be based more on popularity than relevance?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
o would yuo argue, IF it were up to the fans/Sakurai (Not so much IS) it would be based more on popularity than relevance?[/quote]

It's very much possible. Sakurai doesn't really seem to care a lot about relevance. Popularity can attract more buyers, so that's a plus.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If we are going to do addition lords outside for FE7 for alternate costumes that would make sense (as in wearing their clothes), it would be:

Roy: Leaf
Ike: Chrom
Marth: Lucina and/or Celice
Hold up, weren't you the same person that said this idea wouldn't work and used the Dr. Mario fridge logic as proof?

peeup

Smash Lord
I know this topic has passed (damn this thread moves fast) but Kuma if you really wanna convince me, PM me a potential Mac moveset or something so I can see what you mean. It's hard to explain a cool moveset without actually seeing it.

As for a FE rep, I think, aside from Marth, relevance is more important than popularity. Much more important.

D

Deleted member

I know this topic has passed (damn this thread moves fast) but Kuma if you really wanna convince me, PM me a potential Mac moveset or something so I can see what you mean. It's hard to explain a cool moveset without actually seeing it.

As for a FE rep, I think, aside from Marth, relevance is more important than popularity. Much more important.
peeup bro, if you don't change your text color to something other than purple I'm gonna pry my eyes out. You and Psycho are always impossible to read unless I highlight your text.

WHY would you use a dark color on a dark background??

As for Mac, I'll pm you the moveset in a bit. I got one...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I agree with Peeup, but I see nothing wrong with my text color.

It's a faded red, not bright or too dark, and looks good against the background as far as I can see

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Is my text color too dark as well? I could lighten it if it is...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The only person's posts I have trouble seeing is peeup's, everyone else, at least to me, is pretty clear. But darkish purple...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, I even switched to dark, which I assume you all are using, and I see nothing wrong.

I usually use ruby, and most text is around the color I use and it looks fine there.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Custom colors are in general an eye sore. Luckily in the control panel there is an option to disable the customs colors, which is what I'm using at the moment.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, Kuma did post a Mac moveset a few pages back. Go on a post-hunt. ;)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Custom colors are in general an eye sore. Luckily in the control panel there is an option to disable the customs colors, which is what I'm using at the moment.
Why do you hate fun.

Also that bit about Mario not being able to have a Doc alt due to fireballs or whatever, I think that was something Sakurai said because it might look weird. BUT WHATEVER he needs to get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom