• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

No because its true and you know it. Also, any character can be made unique or end up a clone.
Now my internet is crapped up and I can only post through my phone. Hence why I've been out of the loop. On the plus side it's forced me to be more productive with my time.

Anyway, in the few pists that I read, this caught my attetnion.

You always bring this up, but the fact remains that you are wrong. Some characters given their insipiration and canon material have different moveset opportunities that other character cannot emulate properly.

To bring up the Lyn discussion, name another charcter that could a battoujutsu close range fighting style in Smash. Lucina can't, Anna can't, Roy can't. Hell, not even Takamaru as not only does he use ranged weapons, but he's also shown using Kendo.

Can you make unique movesets for those other characters? Yes, but none will ever be able to have what Lyn can have. When people say 'uniqueness' they really mean 'diversity.' Having a viriety if different fighting styles is more interesting than having less inspired variations of already existng styles. This is why I made that OC challenge thread. So people can become aware of that crucial fact.

Anyway I do agree that characters should be judged by their merits rather than their gender. As N3ON said, giving women special treatment because they are female IS sexist. People need to realize that sexism goes both ways, to the positive AND negative (it's vurious because I just had this discussion in class today), equality is about putting a blank slate on everyone and judging them based on their merits and values, much like anonymous now that I think about it (also protip to whever else who may be reading, but women hate that, they don't like to be treated in a special way by doormat BETAmale men why try to win their affection over (buying gifts and all that jazz). They instead prefer assertive men who are independent snd can think.for themselves)...

Anyway, I think it's fair to admit that sex sells. And that ANY attractive looking female character will have a horny 'loser' fanbase. Crusifying a chatacter because you don't wanna attract that fanbase is absurd imo. Hell, why not keep things fair and omit all the pretty-boy characters that attract ravid fangirls? Lumping every female character you don't support as a 'bandwagon' character is unfair to those that have other reasons than the ones you claim. You're entitled to not like a character and cracks jokes at other's expense if you like, but at least give credit where credit is due. Imo, it would at least make you a more sensible speculator. Anyway, I mean this all in good heart bro, so don't take ut the wrong way.

D

Deleted member

@golden
A fangame should be true to what is based off
Then what would be the point, really? With a fangame, you are free to do whatever you wish that would be otherwise impossible in real games. Perfect example: The Mario/Portal crossover fangame.
While decisions may be in questionable taste, it is commendable to go outside the boundries if it works well.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
A Mario/Portal crossover fangame makes a lot of sense when you remember that the Warp Pipes pretty much work like Portals.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
GoldenYuiitusin said:
While decisions may be in questionable taste, it is commendable to go outside the boundries if it works well.
Except it doesn't work well. The quality is in general faulty, with the majority of the new characters being pretty rubbish.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Nintendo Logic never fails to amuse me as much as Sega Logic. For example, compare "Why does Mario shoot fire in water?" to "Why is Sonic in a car?" :laugh:

D

Deleted member

To my knowledge, neither SSF or SSF2 have Spider-Man in them, but the first did have original Sonic characters, which is just the epitome of terrible.
Wow, I just remembered that. I remember trying to figure out where Blues was from until I heard he was a fan character. Absolutely hated that.

D

Deleted member

Except it doesn't work well. The quality is in general faulty, with the majority of the new characters being pretty rubbish.
This is the fault of the characters themselves....how exactly? It's not their fault the developers can't seem to make good movesets out of them.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Nintendo Logic never fails to amuse me as much as Sega Logic. For example, compare "Why does Mario shoot fire in water?" to "Why is Sonic in a car?" :laugh:
Mario can shoot fireballs underwater because he's super. Sonic needs a car because sometimes you don't have time to stretch and eat enough calories to run like he does.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yes

They also love it when you tell them to make you a sandwich

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You always bring this up, but the fact remains that you are wrong. Some characters given their insipiration and canon material have different moveset opportunities that other character cannot emulate properly.
Ice Climbers never had ice powers.
Zero Suit Samus only had an emergency pistol that was for defensive purposes.
ROB never shot lasers out of his eyes and had thrusters.
Captain Falcon was never Kamen Rider.

Sakurai has taken lots of liberties with characters regardless of the canonity.

To bring up the Lyn discussion, name another charcter that could a battoujutsu close range fighting style in Smash.

Can you make unique movesets for those other characters? Yes, but none will ever be able to have what Lyn can have. When people say 'uniqueness' they really mean 'diversity.' Having a viriety if different fighting styles is more interesting than having less inspired variations of already existng styles. This is why I made that OC challenge thread. So people can become aware of that crucial fact.
Dr. Mario could have an absurd doctor moveset (think Valentine from Skullgirls), though probably more cartoony in his case (with absurdly oversized syringes, a magnifying glass, his stethoscope, and a blood-presser tester). No other character would be able to bring this to Smash Bros.

Duck Hunt Dog could bring a cartoonish animal style (think Looney Tunes) with a specialty of using ducks and the famed NES Zapper periphiral. No other character could emulate this style.

Dr. Mario is a character that has been playable in Smash Bros. already and was planned for Brawl (as well as from Nintendo's most popular and well-known puzzle series, while Duck Hunt Dog is from possibly the best selling game on the NES outside of the Mario trilogy.

I don't support either of those two characters (and I highly doubt you do as well), but the point is that if you are going to base a character's inclusion solely on "diversity" there are many other characters that could bring that as well, all of which have subjective qualifiers.

In some people's eyes, due the importance of Dr. Mario having his own sub-series, he should be brought back, while to others he is just another Mario. For some Duck Hunt Dog is an iconic character on the NES, while for others he is the worst idea ever.

For the latter, people have similarly used the "think of what they could bring" argument in regards to inclusion. However, for inclusion, its much more than just "moveset diversity/potential". And that is why people disagree on characters such as Lyn, Dr. Mario, and Duck Hunt Dog. To some those characters do have the merits, while to others they simply don't.

The reason why I disagree with a character like Lyn is this, or a series like FE, which has cycling protagonists, a character like Lyn is lost amongst the rest (even within the arc she is from, Elibe FE6/FE7). She is one among three (very arguably the least important of the three) for one game in the series (of which she has to share the game with Hector, who is probably the second most popular lord overall in the West), so her overall importance to the series, is very debateable. I think her position as an Assist Trophy in Brawl was the the right call (along with other characters such as Waluigi and Tingle). I think Tiki/Chiki is another FE character that should make the jump to Assist Trophy status (especially considering she has been a playable character in ever FE game since Brawl's release).

Anyway I do agree that characters should be judged by their merits rather than their gender. As N3ON said, giving women special treatment because they are female IS sexist.
I am pretty sure N3ON was being faceticious there, I know I was with Croph.

Anyway, I think it's fair to admit that sex sells. And that ANY attractive looking female character will have a horny 'loser' fanbase. Crusifying a chatacter because you don't wanna attract that fanbase is absurd imo.
You seem to think I am against any attractive female character. You are wrong with that assessment. I personally think Palutena is very deserving for a playable status, and she is arguably the most attractive possible female newcomer for Smash 4.

As I said before for many of the female FE characters (particularly what happened with Caeda/Sheeda and Lissa), is that people simply supported those characters merely on the grounds that they thought they were the most likely female FE characters to get in. Due to FE13's nature, there has not been a solidfied bandwagon, because those types are basically equally divided amongst Lucina, Anna, and the female version of My Unit.

Lyn does has some genuine support (as well as Micaiah), however, much like I think Ike is the most appropriate representative for Tellius, thus Micaiah is unneeded, I don't think Lyn would be the a good character to use to represent FE6/FE7 (I think if an Elibe character aside from Roy had to be used, the best choice would probably be Hector who is popular both among the Japanese and Western FE fanbases, and was actually very important to the story of FE7). I think Lyn's spot as an Assist Trophy is meritted (though I am skeptical whether she will return, since I think Smash 4 is mostly going to borrow content from FE13, and that the most likely choices for an AT there will probably be some sort of pegasus knight or Chiki/Tiki).

Lumping every female character you don't support as a 'bandwagon' character is unfair to those that have other reasons than the ones you claim.
Again you are wrong. I don't claim Krystal has a bandwagon (though I do think she had more support in the past than she does now due to the belief that she was the most likely female character to get in at that point of time, though I think its a combination of Palutena and the Star Fox series going into hiatus that are the primary culprits behind the depreciation of her popularity).

However, the phenomenon I described for FE is real. Right now the attention is divided between Anna, Lucina, and female My Unit. I think if there was only one plausible female representative from FE13 that such a character would be competitive with Chrom for requests (though if Anna was not playable or My Unit did not happen, I think Lucina would be handicapped in popularity due to her similarities to Marth, though she would have still probably have been by far the most wanted female FE character for Smash 4).

You're entitled to not like a character and cracks jokes at other's expense if you like, but at least give credit where credit is due.
I do that.

Imo, it would at least make you a more sensible speculator. Anyway, I mean this all in good heart bro, so don't take ut the wrong way.
I am pretty sensible even if you don't think that.

Also, I appreciate that you were not overly aggressive or obnoxious in your rebuttal. That is much better behavior and its actually constructive to getting an argument across. I do think the sidebit about female psychology and socio-political stuff was unnecessary for the topic at hand, but otherwise you wrote a very solid response back. I do understand where you are coming from, even if I probably frustrate you.

I am glad you got a lot more done from your abscence from this site. People get too crazy when they spend too much time here anyway. :laugh:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
I just got Sin and Punishment: Star Successor today, it's an incredible game.
I am now totally on board with having a SaP playable character in SSB4.
I don't care whether it's Saki or Isa, the series deserves better than just an assist trophy representation.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The ****ing dog from Duck Hunt is still probably the most ******** thing I've ever heard in my whole life. I thought people hated that thing to death, so how the hell does it have any remote fanbase!?

D

Deleted member

Love to hate on =/= pure hatred.
Pretty much what the Duck Hunt Dog is. I don't think many people legitimately hate the character. People are more likely to be like "That dog always laugh at me when I lose. Grrr."

Not that I think he has a chance of getting into Smash. Lets count our blessings that there aren't more people like Arcadenik here and the Duck Hunt Dog stuff only comes up on occasions.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, the main thing about the dog in Smash would be simply to get "revenge" for most. Or for some, to laugh with the dog and troll opponents.

That being said, I'd rather not see the dog as a character. But a trolling AT to represent why he is well-known in the first place? Hell yeah.

If the female My Unit is the only way of getting a mage like character for Fire Emblem I guess I would be fine.

That mage character, being different, is one of the major reasons why I would want Micaiah.

Honestly, the main thing about the dog in Smash would be simply to get "revenge" for most. Or for some, to laugh with the dog and troll opponents.

That being said, I'd rather not see the dog as a character. But a trolling AT to represent why he is well-known in the first place? Hell yeah.
Agreed, it would make for a great AT

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Another Manly vs Chrono war? Bah, Kuma vs. SmashChu is way better, I want my money back.

The ****ing dog from Duck Hunt is still probably the most ******** thing I've ever heard in my whole life.
So we're going to ignore the fact some people suggested a Nintendo Console Robot as a character yesterday? Good then.

Pretty much what the Duck Hunt Dog is. I don't think many people legitimately hate the character. People are more likely to be like "That dog always laugh at me when I lose. Grrr."

Not that I think he has a chance of getting into Smash. Lets count our blessings that there aren't more people like Arcadenik here and the Duck Hunt Dog stuff only comes up on occasions.
Like Tingle & Geno, I honestly don't hate Mr. Peepers (though most memes about him get old fast), however, I hate it when he's suggested for being a playable character. Not to mention we already have a trolling character on the roster, his name is Wario.

Pretty much his perfect role. To which I also want to see Zoroark/Zorua fulfilling with Pokeballs. Also a Duck Hunt stage would also be neat to see.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Another Manly vs Chrono war? Bah, Kuma vs. SmashChu is way better, I want my money back.
Its not a war. So far the debate is civil. I don't think he is going to respond back harshly to my rebuttal. Hopefully, its simply dropped, since hopefully everything is cleared up.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Its not a war. So far the debate is civil. I don't think he is going to respond back harshly to my rebuttal. Hopefully, its simply dropped, since hopefully everything is cleared up.
Couldn't tell by the large wall of posts. Either way if it's civil, I definitely want my money back then. :laugh:

At least that was "so bad it's good" type bad. The dog from Duck Hunt is just a dumb idea.
Was still one of the dumbest times I had ever seen speculation threads get, it's up there with HyperFalcon complaining about people calling the Pokemon Trainer, "Red" and Diddy's long Impa rants from last winter.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
@--- Dude, don't take the whole console robot thing too seriously, I doubt most actually want it but are just doing it for fun. Maybe a few legitemately want it in smash but most are just poking some fun on the idea. I was actually quite surprised it actually got a support thread tbh. ^^;

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I LIED. INSTEAD I WILL OPT TO YELL AT YOU FOR HAVING WEIRD ICE CLIMBER REVAMP IDEAScaps.
Why because they would be competitively inbalanced? I thought you always played hanenbow with four players and items on max? Casual. :troll:

Nooooo, neverrr. Nintendo and Sega stay out. Off. Put.
Agreed, but because I don't like SEGA, and don't care if they keep failing.
Wait another year or two and you'll see what some of us have been through. :troll:
Been here since December 09 >.<

@Female discussion

D

Deleted member

So... people hate it. Thanks for reiterating.
Wow, I knew you were dense, but not this dense...

Then again, "love to hate" is a pretty complex thought process that the weak of minds would not understand. :troll:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
--- Dude, don't take the whole console robot thing too seriously, I doubt most actually want it but are just doing it for fun. Maybe a few legitemately want it in smash but most are just poking some fun on the idea. I was actually quite surprised it actually got a support thread tbh. ^^;
Meh, I honestly just don't see the humor in it at all. Not trying to put anyone personally down as the dumb in the thread rests on everyone, myself included, who posts here, but the second we dissolved from a decent discussion into a joke one as well as completing ignoring Mario_Sonic's suggestions just really hit a nerve in me to see just how far this thread has sunk.

If the thread's dumb now and will be dumb come the madness that is E3 is there really point anymore? The no news excuses are getting old. We keep complaining about how there's nothing to talk about, but then why are we on such a thread that's not for off-topic stuff, heck why do we post at all if there's nothing to say or do? Not to mention every time an actual topic comes up it's either ignored for random jokes or someone complains about having such a discussion.

Sorry if I'm digging into this stuff a bit too much, I just felt the need to get some things off my chest and sarcastic remarks like ones that Star, Golden, or Habanero give don't get the job done for me.

Been here since December 09 >.<
Stay Strong like Shortie people.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
@--- Well like I said, I wasn't really expecting the whole thing to go as far as getting it's own thread. I actually thought it was just going to last for a page or two and then be forgotten under the whole thread as a silly little thing but yeah... ^^;

I wasn't expecting a few people actually liking it that much and pushing for it to get it's own thread and supporters so my apologies for that. ^^

I doubt Sakurai would ever consider a robot made out of Nintendo consoles though so nothing to worry about really. ^^

peeup

Smash Lord
@--- Well like I said, I wasn't really expecting the whole thing to go as far as getting it's own thread. I actually thought it was just going to last for a page or two and then be forgotten under the whole thread as a silly little thing but yeah... ^^;

I wasn't expecting a few people actually liking it that much and pushing for it to get it's own thread and support so my apologies for that. ^^

I doubt Sakurai would ever consider a robot made out of Nintendo consoles though so nothing to worry about really. ^^
Son, I am disappoint.

But nah obviously I don't think its even a remote possibility. I just think its ****in sick haha.

D

Deleted member

Loving to hate something is still a sign of hatred.
Not really.
It involves something that you are supposed to hate, yet for some reason or another, you end up liking it BECAUSE of the hatred it is supposed to bring (or does).
This is especially common with popular villains in media. They got popular for a reason; people love to hate them for what they do.

This is the relationship between fans and the dog, despite the dog not actually being a villain (though Nintendo played upon this by incorporating the dog in old commercials with other villains).
He pisses off people by laughing at their failures, but that is what he is known and loved for.
Him having a fanbase is not unheard of, even if it is composed of people that want to shoot him for laughing at them.

Major difference to the likes of Tingle, who is just plain hated.

EDIT: Perfect example: Hades from Kid Icarus.
He's completely evil and "trolly" (there's a word for this somewhere...) to the point you desperately want Pit to tear him a new one, but you can't help but find him humorous and enjoyable while he's there.

EDIT2: And I realize that as you're reading this, this is probably what's happening:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Major difference to the likes of Tingle, who is just plain hated.

EDIT2: And I realize that as you're reading this, this is probably what's happening:
You're right.

How is DHD not hated, but Tingle is? Tingle actually has a decent amount of fans. UNLIKE DHD.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
When reading Chrono's and Manly's debate, it made me think that if going solely by importance and popularity, doesn't Smash Bros just start to feel like a living "popularity/relevancy" contest? I mean, hey, NOW DIVERSITY is not a good reason enough to support a character because anyone can be made one?

And yet again whenever I hear Lyn's popularity and importance to the series is debatable, I have to do an imaginary double take for her getting more recognition than Eliwood and Hector, despite her "being rather unsignificant" to her game.
It's like I.S hates Eliwood and Hector-fans for not liking Lyn/love the western audience for being fans of Sacaean Buxom Lady.

At this point I get this feeling that importance to the game's plot and such doesn't always merit more inclusion over other.
It's still one of those 5 reguirements that determine if someone should be included. Maybe the character has something more standing out from him/her than just to be "important" to the series in some way or another before moving to other potential aspects. Dark Horse Candidates, anyone?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
IntSys does think Lyn as more important. She gets far more attention than Eliwood or Hector. First Brawl, now DLC. What's next?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't consider Wario a troll character, especially when he was actually one of the most-wanted newcomers for SSB3/Brawl. His moveset just sucked, plain and simple, for being based on WarioWare instead of Wario Land. Or is Wario considered a troll character because of his one move where he farts? Or is it because Wario's face looks like this :troll: ?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Given the success of WarioWare/Wario Land (mostly WarioWare) I think Wario's inclusion was well deserved. His moveset is influenced by his behavior and actions in the WarioWare games. Though I do wish Wario Land contributed more into his moveset, but all i can do is hope for better in SSB4. His personality maybe full of troll-like qualities (whatever that means). But I don't think Wario is a troll/joke character like Dan is in SF

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well with the way you're wording everything, it sounds more along the lines of "hating to love". As in, you want to despise them but instead find some sort of soft spot. With "loving to hate", I was thinking more along the lines of someone being passionate to despise something with the rage of a thousand suns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom