• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@SHORTS: I don't see how you could do Assist Trophies or Pokeballs as anything other than WRITE-INs exclusively.

Yes, there are. So please do not dismiss them as some bandwagon.
It's much better to just dismiss them as have terrible tastes/ideas.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
That's a brilliant idea. Whoever came up with it is a genius. :awesome:

Seriously though, I also didn't know that there were going to be like 100 characters and all those stages when I brought it up, so yeah, it'll be long, but at least it'll also be comprehensive. Maybe you could make one poll with just the characters and then one poll with all the other stuff? Just a thought.
I guess, I don't know HOW MUCH i care about it being long. I was thinking about fdoing the AT's and Bosses. Maybe not the Pokeballs, just because it gets really messy with Gen 6 halfway announced, and my poll coming out, well, right after E3. I just, don't like not being thurough, and it would seriously bug me that I missed adding 80% of the cool 6th gens because they won't be leaked for a while. Ya know? And the music, I feel I will start to lose people by that point, you know? A lot of people aren't NEARLY as interested in music as they are characters, stages and even items. Of course, I would love to see Lavander Town get the most votes. Because, you know it will. AH, now I want to do music x( I don't know. *dies*

@SHORTS: I don't see how you could do Assist Trophies or Pokeballs as anything other than WRITE-INs exclusively.
The site I'm using is brilliant. 99% of the features (Double vote blocking, infinate questions and anwsers, infinate length of poll, ect) all come free, but write ins don't, and I don't love Smash Spec enough to pay 10 bucks a month for write ins >.<

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yes, there are. So please do not dismiss them as some bandwagon.
Yes, but the question is how much of the support is a bandwagon. Caeda/Sheeda and Liz were perhaps the most gross examples of female FE characters in which the overwhelming majority of their fans were people on a bandwagon. Support for those two characters is very rare nowadays, however, a year or two ago, they were the most wanted female FE characters.

D

Deleted member

I think Anna would be the best of the bunch as far as female FE characters go, though that is sort akin to being the tallest ******.
Which is why you don't look at her as the best option in terms of females. Then it gets rather sexist.
I mean, I get why Chrom gets the attention he gets, being the recent Lord and all (since people seem to think that's all that matters), but he's just dull. I mean, Marth was rather dull too, but he was an icon which makes up for that. Roy had his fire sword, and Ike has his overall strength that makes him stand out.
Chrom really has nothing that makes him stand out, especially with all the comparisons people make between him, Marth, and Ike. The best people come up with for Chrom is an "inbetween" of the two.

This is where Anna shines. Like Marth, she is somewhat of an icon, appearing in every game in some form except Gaiden, and especially unlike Chrom, she has a style (rogue-like with dirty tricks, being a Trickster) that sets her apart.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nah, its because I am chilvarous. :troll:
Chivalry is dead. Now treating women differently is known as sexism. :troll:

You could take popular and/or major characters from the different series that don't currently have any other role. Sure it wouldn't encompass all the possible choices, but it would still give a general idea of which ones are the most popular.

I guess, I don't know HOW MUCH i care about it being long. I was thinking about fdoing the AT's and Bosses. Maybe not the Pokeballs, just because it gets really messy with Gen 6 halfway announced, and my poll coming out, well, right after E3. I just, don't like not being thurough, and it would seriously bug me that I missed adding 80% of the cool 6th gens because they won't be leaked for a while. Ya know? And the music, I feel I will start to lose people by that point, you know? A lot of people aren't NEARLY as interested in music as they are characters, stages and even items. Of course, I would love to see Lavander Town get the most votes. Because, you know it will. AH, now I want to do music x( I don't know. *dies*
Yeah, sure, you totally wouldn't have to, was just an idea I had after I realized stages were also being included. Up to you, doesn't really matter to me, it's your poll. :)

D

Deleted member

I think people too often jump to the conclusion that because a character is well-known or popular or WHATEVER then they need to be playable. Like Anna and the dog that hunts ducks and POKEMON IN GENERAL for example. You don't have to represent everything with a playable character.
You mean like Marth? :troll:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Which is why you don't look at her as the best option in terms of females. Then it gets rather sexist.
I mean, I get why Chrom gets the attention he gets, being the recent Lord and all (since people seem to think that's all that matters), but he's just dull. I mean, Marth was rather dull too, but he was an icon which makes up for that. Roy had his fire sword, and Ike has his overall strength that makes him stand out.
Chrom really has nothing that makes him stand out, especially with all the comparisons people make between him, Marth, and Ike. The best people come up with for Chrom is an "inbetween" of the two.

This is where Anna shines. Like Marth, she is somewhat of an icon, appearing in every game in some form except Gaiden, and especially unlike Chrom, she has a style (rogue-like with dirty tricks, being a Trickster) that sets her apart.
Personally, if I had to have a character rep from FE13, Anna would be my choice (though I think F13 could be repped just fine without one). Though I would have her be a Master Knight instead of a trickster. Leaf is my preferred choice for a Master Knight though (ironically, Leaf is also a trickster in FE13). :awesome:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Chrono: When did I act like it didn't exist?

I just mean that I don't want it to be hammered on my head that a female bandwagon exist because I'm seemingly this "ordinary fan-fan" who tries to be speak for the character truly but is passed on as a fanboy blah-blah-blah.

When I spoke about the true fans of Lyn, I meant those who really give appreciation for the character (hello those who like her truly, do fanart, fanfiction, other forms of dedication. SayLynhentaiallthewaybutiwon'tpersonallylistthat.)

Kuma summed it here though:

Again, so what? There's two sides to every coin. If you have the bandwagoners, then you must have the genuine fans as well.

D

Deleted member

But that's the thing; I don't see her as a rep for FE13.
I see her as a rep for the series in general.

EDIT: Also, if she uses the Levin Sword like in some artwork, she'd have a thunder sword. A nice counter to Roy's fire sword, don't you think? :troll: (Note, not saying this means Roy should not get in; just drawing a comparison)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Chrono: When did I act like it didn't exist?
Kuma summed it here though:
Yeah, there are some genuine Lyn fans. However, she also had many fans that have moved on from her to other female FE characters (nowadays its Lucinas, female My Unit, and Anna).

Also, I already poked a hole in what Kuma said.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This reminds me of the NeoGAF Smash Bros. thread, only over there, its Captain Syrup.

As I said many times before loud support does not often translate into actual numbers support.
When the hell have you said this? If anything, it's ME that keeps saying that.

Yes, but the question is how much of the support is a bandwagon. Caeda/Sheeda and Liz were perhaps the most gross examples of female FE characters in which the overwhelming majority of their fans were people on a bandwagon. Support for those two characters is very rare nowadays, however, a year or two ago, they were the most wanted female FE characters.
And then you contradict yourself in a later post, WTF?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
EDIT: Also, if she uses the Levin Sword like in some artwork, she'd have a thunder sword. A nice counter to Roy's fire sword, don't you think? :troll: (Note, not saying this means Roy should not get in; just drawing a comparison)
If Anna and Roy are in I am going to see casual fans thinking they are siblings.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Anna's a reoccurring easter egg. Being in a few menus and a minor character in one game does not warrant being in SSB4.

I'm even more surprised Golden is supporting this. I always thought he paid no mind to relevance which is all she gets for being in almost every game. Other than that, her personality is just as interesting as half the other minor characters in FE. Why not add gaius? Hes pretty popular. Or maybe Inigo? He has a lot of personality.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
When the hell have you said this? If anything, it's ME that keeps saying that.

And then you contradict yourself in a later post, WTF?
I have no idea what you are talking about. However, you need to stop hating people solely due to the fact that they disagree with you. You have a beef with me, SmashChu, and Toise solely for this reason.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Come on, you can't tell me you don't want a thunder sword. :troll:
It'd make for a cool item to say the least.

Is it me or does Chrono always try to make it where he's always right even if it means contradicting something he said earlier?

And no, I don't have problems because you disagree with me. That is never my issue with people. My issue is your ****ty attitude, Chu's, and Toise's.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Anna and Roy are in I am going to see casual fans thinking they are siblings.
Did casual fans think Marth and Ike were siblings? I really don't know, and I hope not.

"Hey look, there's Ike and his sister Marth!" :troll:

Sadly I fall in that category because of a few incidents, including what happened to Croph today. :cry:
That wasn't really sexism... that was more just... awkwardness. :laugh:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Anna is somewhat of a Base Breaker to me. Mostly because I never really seen her do anything major other than being playable in Awakening. :/

D

Deleted member

Anna's a reoccurring easter egg. Being in a few menus and a minor character in one game does not warrant being in SSB4.

I'm even more surprised Golden is supporting this. I always thought he paid no mind to relevance which is all she gets for being in almost every game. Other than that, her personality is just as interesting as half the other minor characters in FE. Why not add gaius? Hes pretty popular. Or maybe Inigo? He has a lot of personality.
Maybe you forgot when I said she is seen as a mascot to the series within Japan (i.e. like Pikachu is for Pokemon). Which makes it a much better argument than arguing for Chrom, who only has his stardom in the most recent title, the typical relevance argument.

I'm arguing in the case of prominence and iconicness.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Chrono: Oh well, I'm good. (-=_=-); (And pfft, it's not like they can go truly out-of-character despite becoming unique or clone.)

On Anna: Playable or not though, could use an appearance. The menu screen thing with Rover from Animal Crossing would feel best for me though (she's doing her job. IN A SMASH BROS GAME.)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Is it me or does Chrono always try to make it where he's always right even if it means contradicting something he said earlier?
What is this I don't even. I did not contradict anything. I know you are looking for upvotes with this comment though.

And no, I don't have problems because you disagree with me. That is never my issue with people. My issue is your ****ty attitude, Chu's, and Toise's.
Mirrors are your friend. :troll:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
What is this I don't even. I did not contradict anything. I know you are looking for upvotes with this comment though.
Aha! Another generalization!

Really now, you get your panties in a bunch (no offense to the ladies here) every time someone says something you don't like.

D

Deleted member

Chrono: Oh well, I'm good. (-=_=-); (And pfft, it's not like they can go truly out-of-character despite becoming unique or clone.)

On Anna: Playable or not though, could use an appearance. The menu screen thing with Rover from Animal Crossing would feel best for me though (she's doing her job. IN A SMASH BROS GAME.)
Why Rover? Why not Tom Nook as a business partner or rival to Anna? :troll:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Call me crazy, but I do think that if they decided to choose a character soley on Fire Emblem Awakening, I think

Chrom and Lucina acting as a tag team

would be pretty cool. It gets rid of Chrom's potential blandness, brings in a new FE concept, and both characters, FE-popularity-wise, are pretty well received.

Although, I still feel they'd be in after Marth, Ike, and possibly Roy, but that's just me. Just if we get a 4-FE-Slot scenario.

EDIT: All this time and I'm still not used to not having spoiler tags...

D

Deleted member

@Kuma to hopefully distract from the fight: I feel the same way about Syrup if Sakurai decides to add a bit from the Wario Land instead of Ware, though at the same time, with what Syrup has been shown for fighting, she might give off a Dr. Eggman vibe, so he would try to get Dr. Eggman instead. :troll:

Call me crazy, but I do think that if they decided to choose a character soley on Fire Emblem Awakening, I think

Chrom and Lucina acting as a tag team

would be pretty cool. It gets rid of Chrom's potential blandness, brings in a new FE concept, and both characters, FE-popularity-wise, are pretty well received.

Although, I still feel they'd be in after Marth, Ike, and possibly Roy, but that's just me. Just if we get a 4-FE-Slot scenario.
Finally, someone agrees with this notion.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yuui: Nook can be rival, and Rover because another Menu Mascot.

Also pfft Triforce Bearers, by this logic I should be Palutena's bodyguard or something.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Finally, someone agrees with this notion.
I mean, I'm playing through Awakening, and I just find the concept really cool. In a four-slot scenario, I feel that it would be the best for a fourth slot, as it adds some pros while eliminating other cons. Sort of a win-win on all fronts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom