• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. There are very few characters left outside of the Mario universe that the casual Nintendo fan knows about at this point that is not yet playable.
This is the point I mad about 30-40 pages back regarding third parties. There are a lot of third parties that casuals know about still out there (Pac-Man, Megaman, Rayman, etc.) and far more than are left in the Nintendo universe so I am support of more third parties because of that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This is the point I mad about 30-40 pages back regarding third parties. There are a lot of third parties that casuals know about still out there (Pac-Man, Megaman, Rayman, etc.) and far more than are left in the Nintendo universe so I am support of more third parties because of that.
Just because we're at a point where some 3rd parties would cause more hype than most remaining Nintendo characters doesn't mean Sakurai is going to change his mentality on them. He's never wanted them to be more than a minimal part of the roster.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I see Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda getting 5 spots.

I would add characters like Bowser Jr, Ghirahim, Gold, Zoroark, Micaiah, Chrom, Isa Jo, Shulk, Matthew, Little Mac, Mii, Andy, Captain Syrup, Mona, Palutena, Magnus, Sheriff, and Takamaru.
This. Though, I'd highly doubt Wario would get more than 1 newcomer this time around. But, it's a great list nonetheless.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Its funny how people here are saying Little Mac is expected not wanted, yet he is probably the only Nintendo character after Ridley that could probably bring hype to Smash 4 (especially amongst the gaming press). Sometimes people here are really divorced from reality.
I hate to bring this up, but have you ever heard of the "female FE character bandwagon". As in they don't actually support the character (at least the majority) and simply gravitate towards whomever they feel is the most likely female FE character to get in at the time. So Lyn should not be throwing stones in glass houses. :troll:
Denounce anything negative about characters you like, and then shrug off any character support you don't like.

D

Deleted member

I too see Mac's simplicity as an asset.
Afterall, the best way to stand out in a game full of unconventional styles and fighters? Be simple and conventional (well, unless Giga Mac is involved, but that's what Final Smashes are for).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sad but true. Well I still like you guys even if you are really obscure (Saki, Takamaru, Mach Rider).
Takamaru's name isn't too obscure anymore thanks to Nintendo Land. Will be a few months before most people can attach a character to the name though. Still surprised Takamaru was chosen to be in NL, especially if it was a decision made regardless of him appearing in Smash or not. Nintendo could've crammed a more major series into his attraction, they tend to do stuff like that, but I'm glad they gave a minor series more attention. :)
This. Though, I'd highly doubt Wario would get more than 1 newcomer this time around. But, it's a great list nonetheless.
No, it's really not.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
No because its true and you know it. Also, any character can be made unique or end up a clone.
Oh wow, guys (and some girls) attracted to a woman, gee who'da thunk?

You just use that to dodge your arguments from a gameplay standpoint. There's the ability to make a moveset for anyone, and then there's making a moveset that is both faithful and in character (for original material). You cannot make every character faithful and unique in a large roster, especially with a company that has a lot of expies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why is Chrono so anti-female by the way?

Funnily enough, I find him at odds with the generally assumed Japanese mindset. lol

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You just use that to dodge your arguments from a gameplay standpoint. There's the ability to make a moveset for anyone, and then there's making a moveset that is both faithful and in character (for original material). You cannot make every character faithful and unique in a large roster, especially with a company that has a lot of expies.
ROB shooting lasers from his eyes is faithful and in character.
Ice Climbers having ice powers is faithful and in character.
Zero Suit Samus having an offensive whip for a defensive pistol is faithful and in character.

Funnily enough, I find him at odds with the generally assumed Japanese mindset. lol
I am not anti female. I am anti-horny loser fanboys, and dumb female choices. Palutena and Dixie Kong are great choices for newcomers, and Toon Zelda/Impa would be decent choices for a luigi-fied Zelda newcomer (though I don't think we need a Zelda newcomer).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Zero Suit Samus having an offensive whip for a defensive pistol is faithful and in character.
What about Captain Falcon's Kamen Rider attacks?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's all about Roy-kun.

ROB and Ice Climbers were pretty much blank slates with an aesthetic design. Last I checked, Nana was always the player 2 character, not someone you controlled in tandem with Popo.

I will say that it is strange about the whole plasma whip, but there was a character in the manga that did have them so they probably took some creative liberties with that. Looking back, I would've preferred something akin to MvC3 Jill. There's also the fact there would have never been a single opportunity to use the whip in Zero Mission so who's to say it wasn't there, just never seen. I mean, I'm surprised you didn't bring up the fact that Pit's bow was turned into two blades.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Same with me. I did support his inclusion for awhile, until I realize just how little I cared about his inclusion. I do imagine he has a large fan base, but one that is very quiet.

The only reason why I'm not against his inclusion is because of the uniqueness the stage provides and hopes that Doc Louis can make comments about certain opponents in a funny way.
I'm not against him either. I don't really find a reason to be against most of the major candidates. I wouldn't be against him just because he has the the right amount of support, he qualifies by Sakurai's standards, and he has prominence within his own series. Plus, his series that sticks out among the large pile of small franchises. I just am not too interested in him, personally. I recognize everything he brings with him though.

I will say that it is strange about the whole plasma whip, but there was a character in the manga that did have them so they probably took some creative liberties with that. Looking back, I would've preferred something akin to MvC3 Jill.

Whip showdown:

Simon Belmont or Ivy Valentine? (Does Nintendo even have a whip user?)

Takamaru's name isn't too obscure anymore thanks to Nintendo Land. Will be a few months before most people can attach a character to the name though. Still surprised Takamaru was chosen to be in NL, especially if it was a decision made regardless of him appearing in Smash or not. Nintendo could've crammed a more major series into his attraction, they tend to do stuff like that, but I'm glad they gave a minor series more attention. :)
What do people think of "Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword"? It's supposed to be one of the best Eshop games out there, and is published by Ninty themself. PLUS, he also is a Nintendo Samurai, like Takamaru.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I am not anti female. I am anti-horny loser fanboys, and dumb female choices. Palutena and Dixie Kong are great choices for newcomers, and Toon Zelda/Impa would be decent choices for a luigi-fied Zelda newcomer (though I don't think we need a Zelda newcomer).
OK, so you are against female Fire Emblem reps. :troll:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I hate to bring this up, but have you ever heard of the "female FE character bandwagon". As in they don't actually support the character (at least the majority) and simply gravitate towards whomever they feel is the most likely female FE character to get in at the time. So Lyn should not be throwing stones in glass houses. :troll:

She didn't because she has one true fan right here. And another major one somewhere else now. (Manly).

And who knows, many others we don't know outside from FE Female Bandwagoners (=/ I'mplying bandwagoners are even real fans, what)

You know, I wonder about those female bandwagoners really. Aren't we all aware at all that Smash Bros will ALWAYS and FOREVER keep the females at minimum?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Him and I are kind of alike. I for one HATE anybody who's a little too attracted to a fiction character (mostly because it makes you feel strange).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm not against him either. I don't really find a reason to be against most of the major candidates. I wouldn't be against him just because he has the the right amount of support, he qualifies by Sakurai's standards, and he has prominence within his own series. Plus, his series that sticks out among the large pile of small franchises. I just am not too interested in him, personally. I recognize everything he brings with him though.

Whip showdown:

Simon Belmont or Ivy Valentine? (Does Nintendo even have a whip user?)
This is pretty much where I stand. I'm not big on Little Mac or Isaac as I am for Krystal, Nook, and Lyn, but I do think Mac and Isaac can definitely bring something new to the table. And you already know that I have no concern about what is and isn't likely as it's just a bunch of predictions based on arbitrary restrictions.

And I'm not aware of any other whip users in Nintendo games.

Try again.
So it's Milk Meido Ridley then.

@Fal Koopa
Weren't you interested in Lyn too?

But yeah, I wouldn't count of bandwagoners. At this point, it's incredibly hard to distinguish between the bandwagoners and the actual fans. It's like the requests for Jeff despite most people have never touched Earthbound.

When it comes to the low number of girls in Smash, I always figured that had more to do with just how things turned out than anything else. I'll be surprised though if Smash 4 has a high boost in girl characters. Krystal, Palutena, Dixie, Mona, Syrup, Ashley, Kumatora, Lyn, etc.

D

Deleted member

Then there's someone like me, who feels Anna possibly could be looked over (though not likely, IMO) due to her apparent mascot status in Japan. Being female really has nothing to do with it for me. It could have been Jake instead of her, and I'd still think the same way.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So that's 4 for Lyn, and we're all quiet about, even Manly who really raised the interest here.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Him and I are kind of alike. I for one HATE anybody who's a little too attracted to a fiction character (mostly because it makes you feel strange).
Well

I'm feeling very awkward right now

I think I should leave for a bit

:(

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Then there's someone like me, who feels Anna possibly could be looked over (though not likely, IMO) due to her apparent mascot status in Japan. Being female really has nothing to do with it for me. It could have been Jake instead of her, and I'd still think the same way.
I think Anna would be the best of the bunch as far as female FE characters go, though that is sort akin to being the tallest ******.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Swampa: Yep.

Chrono: Maybe, she'd kinda be akin to Toad with that feel and reasonings to feature her.

But my point is just that hey, there's some fans that have some common sense. So please, don't go spousing some **** about "FE Female Bandwagon" like you did to me because it just generally gives you unforgiving and way too judging impression. I'm not lying when saying she has some real fans, and I personally don't think she's absolutely infamous for being an attractive female (and that's taking out Smash's fans.)

And I'm sure you know that I'm no rabid Lyn-fanboy like those bandwagoners (and Lip-fanboy even if I like her so much, hell, I also hate or am at least disappointed to the shallow support they get because they're female since I have more merits to support them than just "female rep").

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So that's 4 for Lyn, and we're all quiet about, even Manly who really raised the interest here.
This reminds me of the NeoGAF Smash Bros. thread, only over there, its Captain Syrup.

As I said many times before loud support does not often translate into actual numbers support.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
If Chrono can make a female FE character bandwagon to ignore characters like Lucina can I make a new group called the Veteran Bandwagon and ignore characters like roy?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No because its true and you know it. Also, any character can be made unique or end up a clone.
You know.... It might be possible for someone to like a female character (That isn't Palutena or Dixie since you like those two) for a reason other than bewbs.

Ib4hesaysbutts!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
^ Yep.

But my point is just that hey, there's some fans that have some common sense. So please, don't go spousing some **** about "FE Female Bandwagon" for them because it just generally gives you unforgiving and way too judging impression.
You think this thread is the entire world. You are sadly mistaken. I have been around for pre-Brawl and the entirety of pre-Smash 4. There exists a female FE character bandwagon (especially on places like GameFAQs).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I kind of get the feeling Capt. Syrup could be an alternative to her from a gameplay standpoint. I do want Anna to appear in Smash 4 though, at least as a mascot for one of the modes like the lotto or the online lobbies. I think adding things like that add fanservice in a way that's not interfering with the main game and help polish the presentation up.

You think this thread is the entire world. You are sadly mistaken. I have been around for pre-Brawl and the entirety of pre-Smash 4. There exists a female FE character bandwagon (especially on places like GameFAQs).
Again, so what? There's two sides to every coin. If you have the bandwagoners, then you must have the genuine fans as well.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
*facepalm* I can't believe I just made Croph cry thanks to being such a ****. I'm becoming Chronobound. -_-

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
So, N30N brought up the idea that I could add music, AT, and Pokeball section to my poll. My biggest fear is: OMG TOO LONG. But, what would you think of having any of these? IF I could only use one, which would you like to see? What do you guys think?

Lookin' for some general feedback.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I also don't have anything against Anna, if she made it in I wouldn't much care one way or another, though I do think there are better FE choices (none of them female though).
Well

I'm feeling very awkward right now

I think I should leave for a bit

:(
Don't worry Croph, you're at least safe from Chrono's wrath. It's Roy. :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So, N30N brought up the idea that I could add music, AT, and Pokeball section to my poll. My biggest fear is: OMG TOO LONG. But, what would you think of having any of these? IF I could only use one, which would you like to see? What do you guys think?

Lookin' for some general feedback.
That's a brilliant idea. Whoever came up with it is a genius. :awesome:

Seriously though, I also didn't know that there were going to be like 100 characters and all those stages when I brought it up, so yeah, it'll be long, but at least it'll also be comprehensive. Maybe you could make one poll with just the characters and then one poll with all the other stuff? Just a thought.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think people too often jump to the conclusion that because a character is well-known or popular or WHATEVER then they need to be playable. Like Anna and the dog that hunts ducks and POKEMON IN GENERAL for example. You don't have to represent everything with a playable character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom