• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Zoroark:
Semi-Popular
Recent
Would fit well into smash
Has a movie

Mewtwo:
Very if not the most Popular character for smash
Most popular Pokemon for smash
Smash Veteran
Easy to implement because of ^ as it has already been done before
3 Movies
Planned for Brawl
Very Recognizable
Has retained popularity to this day

feel free to give me more reasons for both

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Zoroark:
Honestly I would disagree with that. It's Illusion ability, the main gimmick it uses and one of the main reasons it's notable to begin with doesn't really translate all that well into the Smash setting. Sure you could not have it as a part of it's moveset, but that kinda ruins the character in a way.

I can see Sakurai calling it a day and making it a taunt, I'd just hope the rest of it's moveset would be more interesting than Wolfcario. IMO Illusion makes for a better Pokeball. :p

JPW

Smash Ace
When do you think we'll get a trailer? The games been in production for 6 to 7 months and so far we have seen nothing.

Would they really keep us waiting till the next E3. If they do it could be a pretty big reveal trailer.

Anyway seems like you guys are still fighting with Mewtwo and Roy cards so i'll crawl back into my cave.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I had an idea that Illusion would of been Zoroark's down special, where she would transform into the opponent and gain all of their abilities until she gets hit and reverts to normal.

Shiruzato

Smash Cadet
Well, this is my first post outside of my intro. I hope I make it a good one.

So, here are some rules for rosters that are accepted within Smash social and competitive circles and are also used by the makers of the game that I would like to remind people of:

1- MOST. IMPORTANT. RULE.
Smash is a NINTENDO crossover game first and foremost; therefore, there should be more NINTENDO characters than THIRD-PARTY characters. This means we are NOT getting an overabundance of Sonic characters just because Sonic is in the game.

2- SECOND MOST IMPORTANT RULE.
Any third-party characters must have been on a Nintendo console at one point in time. This means no Ratchet & Clank or Jak & Daxter.

3- NO OVERABUNDANCE OF THIRD PARTY CHARACTERS (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, SONIC EXTREMISTS!).
There is a maximum limit of one playable third-party character per third-party franchise; this means that a franchise from a company that isn't Nintendo-based can only have one playable character and one assist trophy. Award trophies are allowed, however, as well as references and tag-team characters (such as Sonic & Tails being one character, like the Ice Climbers).

4- THIRD PARTY IS THE LIMIT.
This means no fourth party characters (characters that originated on non-gaming media or licensed movie characters) or characters that are first or second party characters to a non-Nintendo company (such as Master Chief or Banjo & Kazooie, who are first and second party to Microsoft, respectively).

5- FIRST PARTY CHARACTERS TAKE PRIORITY OVER SECOND PARTY, AND SECOND PARTIES TAKE PRIORITY OVER THIRD PARTY CHARACTERS.
I like to think this is self-explanatory.

Hope this helped, tell me if I should post this anywhere or move the post.

*EDIT*- Removed the original rule 5, someone has *kindly* shown me as to why it is BS.

Sir Ilpalazzo

Smash Apprentice
Why would a moveset that involves a fencing style and flaming sword strikes go to Krom?

If anything, Krom would either have a style similar to Ike's but faster and weaker or have more "flashy" moves involving practical and impractical flips of the sword, like in the cutscene fight between him and "Marth".
I actually didn't mean that in the sense that Krom should literally get Roy's moveset; that was just a way of saying "why is Roy more worthy of time and resources than Krom?"

I'm guessing Ilpalazzo only thinks we'll be seeing two FE characters while the rest of us are thinking three...

Anyway I might as well start off by asking, why cut Ike and add Krom? And what are some of the differences that Roy/Ike/Krom have between each other to make them each viable candidates under the character criteria? And in Roy/Ike's case how did they get in the game to begin with and how that might apply now?
I actually do think there will be three Fire Emblem characters. I'm going the predictable route and guessing they'll be Marth, Ike, and Krom, and possibly Marth, Roy, and Krom. My argument here is based around the fact that I don't think there will be four FE characters.

Although it might seem like I am because of my recent posts, I'm actually not a proponent of the "rotating slot" theory for Pokemon and Fire Emblem (that is, I'm not one of the people who believe Ike replaced Roy, that Ike will be in turn replaced by Krom, and that ten years from now Krom will get replaced by the main character of FE16). This is what I think.

-Krom will get in no matter what because Awakening, the newest game in the series, has done well
-Ike will probably stay unless there is some pressing need to remove him (like what happened to Roy).
-Roy could get in because he is fairly popular, but he would have to compete with both Ike and Krom and I think he's below both

I don't strongly believe that Ike will get cut, but I think Krom is going to be above him, and that if character resources are tight, Ike will not get chosen over Krom. Ike is still popular (and fairly relevant, since he did get a cameo in Awakening) and he was in the last Smash Bros. game, but I doubt that Sakurai will forgo representing the newest Fire Emblem game with its own character just for a character whose last game (which didn't particularly stand out among the franchise) was six years ago. But again, I think that both of them will be in the game.

I'm working under the assumption that Krom is a lock and that there won't be four Fire Emblem characters (although who knows, since after all, Star Fox did get three), so naturally if Roy is going to get in, I think he'd have to beat out Ike. In short, I think Roy and Ike got into Smash Bros. for the same reasons that Krom could, and that they (or at least some of them) could co-exist, but that they won't all get in and that Krom is going to be at the top of the list.

Again, I disagree on the grounds that Smash isn't just an advertisement vehicle. If it was, Nintendo would control the roster. Instead, Sakurai has full control of the roster. The reason Ike is in at all is because he wanted a Fire Emblem characters. And as the data on the Brawl disc showed, he intends to keep most of the cast (only Pichu was gone).

What I'm saying is I don't feel Sakurai would remove a character just to add another, and I don't think there is some kind of order (like a fourth Fire Emblem character). He plans out the roster from the start and if he wanted Krom or another Pokemon character he wouldn't throw an old character under the bus. I'm confident that Sonic was the only reason Mewtwo (and probably Roy too) are not in Brawl. I don't think we'll have the same problem as I don't think there will ever be another Sonic situation ever again.

But that's just what I think. We'll have to see.
I really don't disagree with you, but I do think that Smash Bros. is going to keep its roster "up-to-date". New characters are always going to have a role - after all, Ike and Lucario got into Brawl instead of, say, Celice and Blaziken. Remember, Lucas got into Brawl because he was the newest Mother protagonist and for no other reason (Mother 3 wasn't out when he was decided on for Brawl). Mewtwo and Roy are in a precarious situation where they aren't totally solidified as veterans, since they got cut, and they're both from series that need to be represented by new characters every Smash Bros. They could make it back, but I think it'd be an uphill battle.

Zoroark:
Semi-Popular
Recent
Has a movie

Mewtwo:
Very if not the most Popular character for smash
Most popular Pokemon for smash
Smash Veteran
Easy to implement because of ^ as it has already been done before
3 Movies
Planned for Brawl
Very Recognizable
Has retained popularity to this day

feel free to give me more reasons for both
So Mewtwo is very popular and has history with the Smash Bros. series. Zoroark is fairly popular (or at least Nintendo is trying hard to push it) and is very new.

If you put it down to popularity, yeah, Mewtwo wins, but then he also should have been in Brawl alongside or instead of Lucario (I know that Mewtwo may have only been dropped because of unforeseen circumstances popping up late in development, but I think my point still stands). Zoroark being new counts for a lot. If Nintendo, TPC, and Game Freak are deadset on pushing it, it will probably make it into the next Smash Bros.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Since we're still on the subject of Fire Emblem, is Roy popular because people didn't want him cut out of Brawl and thus want him back or is he actually a more popular character than someone like Ike? Say Roy replaced Ike in SSB4 would there be an equally big/bigger outcry to have Ike back in the next game?

On a completely different subject, what do you guys think about Toon Link's chances in the next game now that normal Link will mostlikely be Skyward Sword Link? Skyward Sword Link seems to be the middle ground between Toon and TP Link.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I am against Skyword Sword looks because Sheik and Gannondorf are not in it. At least Sheik was planned for TP and Gannondorf is actually the big boss.

:phone:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Since we're still on the subject of Fire Emblem, is Roy popular because people didn't want him cut out of Brawl and thus want him back or is he actually a more popular character than someone like Ike? Say Roy replaced Ike in SSB4 would there be an equally big/bigger outcry to have Ike back in the next game?
Most likely. Most popularity polls, that I've seen at least, place Ike above both Marth and Roy. Throw in the fact that Ike's a unique character and you'll have outcry that's under Mewtwo, but more than Roy.

I actually do think there will be three Fire Emblem characters. I'm going the predictable route and guessing they'll be Marth, Ike, and Krom, and possibly Marth, Roy, and Krom. My argument here is based around the fact that I don't think there will be four FE characters.

Although it might seem like I am because of my recent posts, I'm actually not a proponent of the "rotating slot" theory for Pokemon and Fire Emblem (that is, I'm not one of the people who believe Ike replaced Roy, that Ike will be in turn replaced by Krom, and that ten years from now Krom will get replaced by the main character of FE16). This is what I think.

-Krom will get in no matter what because Awakening, the newest game in the series, has done well
-Ike will probably stay unless there is some pressing need to remove him (like what happened to Roy).
-Roy could get in because he is fairly popular, but he would have to compete with both Ike and Krom and I think he's below both

I don't strongly believe that Ike will get cut, but I think Krom is going to be above him, and that if character resources are tight, Ike will not get chosen over Krom. Ike is still popular (and fairly relevant, since he did get a cameo in Awakening) and he was in the last Smash Bros. game, but I doubt that Sakurai will forgo representing the newest Fire Emblem game with its own character just for a character whose last game (which didn't particularly stand out among the franchise) was six years ago. But again, I think that both of them will be in the game.

I'm working under the assumption that Krom is a lock and that there won't be four Fire Emblem characters (although who knows, since after all, Star Fox did get three), so naturally if Roy is going to get in, I think he'd have to beat out Ike. In short, I think Roy and Ike got into Smash Bros. for the same reasons that Krom could, and that they (or at least some of them) could co-exist, but that they won't all get in and that Krom is going to be at the top of the list.
My mistake for just assuming then. :embarrass:

Where I think where our views differ is having Krom as a lock and that you're having Ike vs. Roy, when for most of us it's Krom vs Roy.

With Krom, a lot of us have yet to see him as his own character, which is the definitive factor for inclusion. If they don't add anything to the game, why add them? Being a descendant of Marth (not to mention using his sword too), borrowing Ike's special attack, having abilities that mirror Roy's (minus the flame sword), as well as heavy design comparisons to the former characters certainly doesn't help.

Anyway I might as well ask what your current roster bet is. Also, as an FE fanboy, I must ask that when you mentioned Ike's Awakening cameo, are you referring to DLC or his descendant Paris? lol

JPW

Smash Ace
Has anyone else thought of the possibility of Veterans becoming DLC?
It obvious here a lot of people are really upset Mewtwo and Roy aren't in it. But i don't really care. I've never really been a pokemon fan and i found Marth to be more my style. And I like Ike a hell of a lot better than i ever liked Roy.

So like i've said i don't really care if they do come back, and i'd rather they use the spots for newcomers rather than characters who missed out on the last game.

But just because i feel like that doesn't mean others should miss out, in fact they should have a choice if they really want them that badly they should make them available through DLC. That way Sakurai still gets to make newcomers without any limitations and you get to have the choice of Mewtwo and Roy.

I'm feeling SS Link will be just a palette swap. I kind of like the SS look. However I think most characters will have a HD look about them.

D

Deleted member

5- MUST HAVE CREATIVE MOVESET POTENTIAL.
Say Clu-Clu from Clu-Clu Land was a character; what could he do? He can only attack by mainly swinging off of poles, so unless you can provide a very creative moveset with only so much to go on with (Like C.Falcon), I wouldn't even consider mentioning him outside of assist trophies if I were you.
There is so much wrong here, I don't know where to begin.

I guess I'll start by saying that her name is Bubbles, not "Clu-Clu", and that she also has the ability to shoot sonic waves.

And I'll also talk about Captain Falcon, since you brought him up. What Bubbles does, while limited, is more than what Falcon has been shown to do in any game prior to Smash AND after.
All he has ever done was drive a car. And suddenly, he's able to perform Kamen Rider inspired punches and kicks out of fricking NOWHERE.

Another example: the Ice Climbers, fellow NES stars like Bubbles. What do they do in their game? Swing a hammer. That's literally it. They can't summon ice cubes to fling at people, they can't create cold winds to freeze people with, and they can't summon giant icebergs. Yet they do this in Smash.

R.O.B.? He was a peripheral that slowly moved tops and blocks. Or was there some rare model that was able to shoot lasers, fly like a rocket, and overall kick major ***? If there was, I want one.

Zelda/Sheik? Prior to her debut in Smash, all Zelda has done was use the "magic power" of opening sealed doors and used magic to hold Ganon in place for Link to finish him off. It was Link who used Naryu's Love, Din's Fire, and Farore's Wind, not Zelda.
As for when she desguised herself as Sheik? While implied to do some fighting off-screen, on-screen she would teach Link songs on the Ocarina, and use Deku Nuts to "disappear". Never used needles or a chain. That came out of nowhere.

So what is the point of this? "Moveset potential" is a load of hogwash. Anyone who is limited can be given whatever to unlimit them. If it worked for a simple peripheral, it can work for someone like Bubbles.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
@shizurato: all of those points are generally agreed upon most in the serious speculation community. GY did make a point in that really any character can be given a workable and unique move set. I have nothing wrong against giving a character, who isn't known for fighting, a workable moveset. Look at Falcon, Fox, Falco, Mr. GW, Ice Climbers, and R.O.B. Not of these characters showcased any type of fighting abilities before their Smash debut.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
How many third parties do you think this game will have?
I think/hope five: Snake and Sonic returning, and Pac-Man, Rayman and POSSIBLY Megaman as newcomers.

Also, I hope this game will use the potential of DLCs. A new character every month / two months would be awesome.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I see more plausible Rayman than Megaman though, seen how Legends is now officially exclusive.
Megaman is obviously far more requested (since Brawl), but he's still Capcom and Capcom's a *****.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Pacman is possibly the character I least want to see in SSB, even behind Waluigi and I HATE Waluigi. Pacman is a character that should've stayed 2D, giving him arms and legs just made him look very creepy.

JPW

Smash Ace
Tried to make a complete roster. What do you think:

Okay umm didn't come out the way i designed it. For some reason my Text is missing.

The first roster you see is the actual Smash 4 Roster.

the Characters on the side are Assist Trophies.

The characters on the bottom are DLC Characters.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman

--image snipped--

Okay umm didn't come out the way i designed it. For some reason my Text is missing.

While there are always more (unrealistic) characters I'd like to see, I'd be very happy to see that roster be the real one. The only change I'd make is either Mewtwo, Lucario or Zoroark as DLC character and have Tom Nook as part of the base roster because he represents a popular game franchise.

JPW

Smash Ace
I see more plausible Rayman than Megaman though, seen how Legends is now officially exclusive.
Megaman is obviously far more requested (since Brawl), but he's still Capcom and Capcom's a *****.
Like i said before i actually cracked up with the Megaman in Streetfighter X Tekken. Showed Capcom had a sense of humour.

No one really knows where Capcom stands with Megaman most of the gamers are presuming Capcom have given up on Megaman, maybe that's true. None of us know for sure. Unless you actually work at Capcom. I think people give Capcom way too much crap and they don't deserve that.

As for Megaman's involvement i think at the end of the day Megaman has had a long history with Nintendo. And i think Sakurai were to approach he would try his best to get Megaman and he would be a perfect fit to the game.

Rayman. It's not secret Ubisoft and Nintendo have become best of friends as of late. Yeah I actually believe Rayman could have a slight chance. It all depends on how it all goes though. 3 years from now who knows where Ubisoft will be? Would anyone really care or fight for Rayman to get in.

Pacman. He is the best fit, whether you like it or not. He has already showed up in Mario Kart Arcade so he pretty much has a good chance already. Pacman is also a very big icon in gaming. He was one of the first mascots. He's up there with Mario as one of the most recognisable and biggest mascots of videogame history. Pacman has as very big history with Nintendo and Mario also. Remember this is how Sonic got in too. Not just by popularity but by history. Sonic was once Mario's biggest rival. There was a lot of history it was only logical. Go back to the introduction video. That alone shows what got Sonic in. Here's Mario fighting an uphill battle. Sonic comes by and knocks him off. "Sonic's the name. Speeds my game!" Then you got Sonic fighting Mario. As if you would have it any other way.

Sonic i'd reckon will be 100% lock of returning. He has a better chance out of all 3rd party characters.

While there are always more (unrealistic) characters I'd like to see, I'd be very happy to see that roster be the real one. The only change I'd make is either Mewtwo, Lucario or Zoroark as DLC character and have Tom Nook as part of the base roster because he represents a popular game franchise.
I was actually thinking of having Mewtwo on the DLC. Then i thought about the uproar and i really hate going back to that lol. So i did it not for myself but to keep the smash fans at bay for now.

JPW

Smash Ace
I saw this thing on youtube a couple of weeks back it was a Majora's Mask and it looked like it was a remake. And so it's made me think Young Link on a comeback. And there are some out there who prefer the Young Link look over Toon Link look.

I love Toon Link some of the snapshots are the best.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Like i said before i actually cracked up with the Megaman in Streetfighter X Tekken. Showed Capcom had a sense of humour.

No one really knows where Capcom stands with Megaman most of the gamers are presuming Capcom have given up on Megaman, maybe that's true. None of us know for sure. Unless you actually work at Capcom. I think people give Capcom way too much crap and they don't deserve that.

As for Megaman's involvement i think at the end of the day Megaman has had a long history with Nintendo. And i think Sakurai were to approach he would try his best to get Megaman and he would be a perfect fit to the game.

Rayman. It's not secret Ubisoft and Nintendo have become best of friends as of late. Yeah I actually believe Rayman could have a slight chance. It all depends on how it all goes though. 3 years from now who knows where Ubisoft will be? Would anyone really care or fight for Rayman to get in.

Pacman. He is the best fit, whether you like it or not. He has already showed up in Mario Kart Arcade so he pretty much has a good chance already. Pacman is also a very big icon in gaming. He was one of the first mascots. He's up there with Mario as one of the most recognisable and biggest mascots of videogame history. Pacman has as very big history with Nintendo and Mario also. Remember this is how Sonic got in too. Not just by popularity but by history. Sonic was once Mario's biggest rival. There was a lot of history it was only logical. Go back to the introduction video. That alone shows what got Sonic in. Here's Mario fighting an uphill battle. Sonic comes by and knocks him off. "Sonic's the name. Speeds my game!" Then you got Sonic fighting Mario. As if you would have it any other way.

Sonic i'd reckon will be 100% lock of returning. He has a better chance out of all 3rd party characters.
I wasn't saying that Capcom treated Megaman like crap. I found ironic too his look in Street Fighter X Tekken. I was just saying that both Snake and Sonic were like "offered" to Sakurai and he accepted. For Megaman, he probably would have to take him by himself. And Capcom obviously will want money (it's its right anyway). And seen how things ended up badly for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, I don't know. Also, Capcom was the one that wanted the new look of Dante on Battle Royale over the old look, obviously for commercial reasons. So probably they'd like more to see, I don't know, Zero, or even a Resident Evil rep, more than Megaman...

Rayman though, I think has more chance because Ubisoft obviously likes Nintendo. And marketing-wise, an inclusion of Rayman in Smash Bros. can't hurt.

Pac-Man finally is a no-brainer for me. I can't see any other Namco/Bandai rep having more chance than him. At max it will be Pac-Man and another Namco rep, but he can't miss.

And I think both Sonic and Snake will return. Why not? Nothing's changed with 'em, and they're both liked by the fanbase.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
I was actually thinking of having Mewtwo on the DLC. Then i thought about the uproar and i really hate going back to that lol. So i did it not for myself but to keep the smash fans at bay for now.
It might be the best to have Zoroark as DLC, people can't miss a character that hasn't been in the game.

As for Pacman, the old Pacman game was absolutely iconic but many of the games that came afterwards have hardly been the same. Characters like Sonic and Mario have had a ton of great games but Pacman has never gotten past its original arcade game.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
So Mewtwo is very popular and has history with the Smash Bros. series. Zoroark is fairly popular (or at least Nintendo is trying hard to push it) and is very new.

If you put it down to popularity, yeah, Mewtwo wins, but then he also should have been in Brawl alongside or instead of Lucario (I know that Mewtwo may have only been dropped because of unforeseen circumstances popping up late in development, but I think my point still stands). Zoroark being new counts for a lot. If Nintendo, TPC, and Game Freak are deadset on pushing it, it will probably make it into the next Smash Bros.
The only reason I'd see a need for that is advertising. Mewtwo would bring more people to smash because he's more well known and among smash players generates more hype than Zoroark does not to mention he would tick everybody off if he wasn't brought back. This totally has potential to build a hate base for his Zoroark IMO. Zoroark would be better for advertising the Black and White games. Granted B&W2 have just been coming out recently but, how long before the next gen comes in. B&W came out in 2010 and by the time Smash comes out it will be probably 3 years old with the next gen fast closing in. Most gens only last 3-4 years before the next steps in:

Gen 1: 1996-1999 remake in 2005
Gen 2: 1999-2002 remake in 2009
Gen 3: 2002-2006 remake in ???
Gen 4: 2006-2010
Gen 4: 2010-???

This means 3/4 of it's lifespan will have already been used up and wouldn't make it that great of an advertisement for either. Each Pokemon series usually has 2 simultaneous versions come out and then a second installment comes out. With B&W's 2nd installment already out there isn't much more to advertise for. At least for Lucario the second installment, "Platinum" hadn't come out yet.

Zoroark makes people who play/watch gen 5 wanna play smash, while Mewtwo makes people who play/watch Pokemon wanna play Smash. Not only that but he will he appeal to people who played Melee and missed him in brawl. Secondly, if we just start cutting characters for the sake of adding in the newest, that's going to cause outrage among established fans. Sakurai probably realizes this too as it's hard not to notice when Roy and Mewtwo are two of the most requested characters for Smash4.

@VintageCreep Edit: nvmd

D

Deleted member

We're not getting DLC for characters, barring potentially unfinished data. Sakurai is the type of person who wants to finish his game and move on to the next project. Any additional work that is involved in Smash 4 after release will be stuff he wanted to do but couldn't get to due to time constraints.

As for third-parties, going with Sonic, Snake, and Mega Man. There's not really anyone else I can see getting in. And yes, this includes Pac-Man, who I think has the most overrated chance of getting in.

@SmashShadow: Sonic was never rejected for Brawl, he just was an extremely late addition.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I saw this thing on youtube a couple of weeks back it was a Majora's Mask and it looked like it was a remake. And so it's made me think Young Link on a comeback.
The MM3D was either fan-made or was proven as a hoax. Either way, it wasn't real.

And there are some out there who prefer the Young Link look over Toon Link look.
These people are known as "butt-hurt fanboys" and "idiots." We don't listen to them

evilsmashbrosfan

Smash Cadet

I suppose the assists trophies are okay...

...And suggesting characters as DLC even before the final roster is shown is BEYOND stupid.People already hate it when publishers are announcing DLC before the game`s release or locking contents through the disc,so why encouraging them to do such a thing:glare:

Beside,Namco doesn`t even like the idea of releasing downloadable characters and they offer them a free DLC if it happen,so it should stay that way.

Beyond that,your roster is unrealistic since there`s 49 slots,which is insane considering that the final roster wont surpass the size of Brawl.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Beyond that,your roster is unrealistic since there`s 49 slots,which is insane considering that the final roster wont surpass the size of Brawl.
That is simply not true. The chances that the roster will not surpass brawls is...impossible. There are going to be new characters. There are not going to be characters cut to the point where we have the same number or less than brawls. I don't know where people get this idea but it has severely not been thought through and has no evidence.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Not this bullsh*t again.

Point me to a quote where Sakurai or anyone working on Sm4sh says that the roster will be the same size as Brawls. Not that quote where he says the roster has reached its limit, which is an incredibly vague statement that could be referring to a number of things. Until you can do that, please, no more of this "no new characters" or "roster will be the same size" BS.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
You miss a lot in 2 days of absence.
Roster looked good, I'd prefer Shulk somewhere in there,but good nonetheless.
I don't like DLC, I'll leave that alone. Otherwise good.
Pacman just doesn't seem like a smash character to me. I'm against it, but if he gets in I'll be wanting him to stay in future games. Possibly hypocritical, but cuts is bad.
Especially if it's to the point that the roster is smalelr than Brawl. I'm surprised someone is positive on that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
IMO, I think that, based on their latest significant appearances and roles in major titles, these may be the most likely newcomers (not saying shoe-in) whether we like it or not.

- Balloon Fighter (attraction in Nintendo Land)
- Krom (new protagonist of Fire Emblem: Awakening)
- Little Mac (revived franchise with star treatment unlike other popular franchises like Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, Starfy, etc.)
- Mii (playable roles in various Wii/3DS games)
- Palutena (major supporting character in Kid Icarus: Uprising)
- Ridley (major antagonist in Metroid: Other M)
- Takamaru (playable guest character in Samurai Warriors 3 and attraction in Nintendo Land)
- Toad (playable roles in New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U)
- Waddle Dee (playable role in Kirby's Return to Dream Land)
- Zoroark (usually the most-promoted 5th gen Pokemon)

Anyone else might get in due to disproportionately high fan demand (King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Mewtwo, etc.), third-party relations (Pac-Man, Mega Man, Slime, etc.), unique moveset potential or for the lulz (Muddy Mole, Starfy, Duck Hunt Dog, etc.)

D

Deleted member

IMO, I think that, based on their latest significant appearances and roles in major titles, these may be the most likely newcomers (not saying shoe-in) whether we like it or not.

- Balloon Fighter (attraction in Nintendo Land)
- Krom (new protagonist of Fire Emblem: Awakening)
- Little Mac (revived franchise with star treatment unlike other popular franchises like Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, Starfy, etc.)
- Mii (playable roles in various Wii/3DS games)
- Palutena (major supporting character in Kid Icarus: Uprising)
- Ridley (major antagonist in Metroid: Other M)
- Takamaru (playable guest character in Samurai Warriors 3 and attraction in Nintendo Land)

- Toad (playable roles in New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U)
- Waddle Dee (playable role in Kirby's Return to Dream Land)
- Zoroark (usually the most-promoted 5th gen Pokemon)

Anyone else might get in due to disproportionately high fan demand (King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Mewtwo, etc.), third-party relations (Pac-Man, Mega Man, Slime, etc.), unique moveset potential or for the lulz (Muddy Mole, Starfy, Duck Hunt Dog, etc.)
The bolded are the only ones I would expect to get in. Balloon Fighter is not getting in, Mii and Waddle Dee will probably not make it in, Krom could happen but I'm not seeing it. As for Toad and Zoroark, they're definitely contenders, but they do have some serious issues that might keep them from a playable position.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I don't really get why everyone wants Waddle Dee or Bandana Dee or whatever... It's like having a Goomba or an Oktorok or something.
The only casual enemy I think has a slight possibility to get in is a Space Pirate from Metroid.

JPW

Smash Ace
okay i wanna thank those who were positive.

I believe DLC has a bit of potential, whether or not the list will be that big is debatable.
I'm happy with DLC being stages and such.

The DLC roster is mainly there though for some fans who have voiced their opinion about certain characters like me for example. I'm actually not a fan of Roy. But i have seen huge support for him from the fanbase. However i would rather than him take the spot of a likely newcomer or Ike to have him as a choice character. That way there's still potential for a newcomer rather then a veteran. The more Melee veterans coming back the less chance of newcomers.

There are also people who think Tingle have a good chance. In my opinion those people should be shot. To me Tingle is one of the worst Zelda characters ever. And i cannot believe they came up with him. Anytime i see him I wish i could just annihilate him. Link Style. (actually maybe he should be in Smash 4. So i give him a beating sooo bad he'd wish he was Jigglypuff.) It's bad enough there are Zelda games with Tingle we have to have Smash games with him.
But once again who i want in isn't on a trial.

These rosters are prediction rosters, all of you do it. No one knows how it is going to go down.
Before you challenge our rosters think about the roster you have.... how would you feel if someone slammed yours. State your reasons why you believe this character isn't possible and leave it at that. If they can counter it than good for them not many can do that.

As far as i'm concerned i can dump the DLC. I was just trying to be different, and i thought i'd give it shot.

As for the roster count. There will be newcomers. It's hard not to see it. Why would anyone buy Smash4 if it's the exact same roster, except with touchups. You might as well stick with Project M. Because those guys are doing their best there to make a balanced game. Why bother with Smash 4 right? NEW STUFF IS WHAT MAKES A GAME EXCITING!!! and Smash Bros has potential for NEW THINGS! And there are tons of Nintendo characters from all the different kind of franchises. So take advantage and give us some new Characters. Also newcomers is going to help them sell more and both times there has been like 10+ newcomers. (i don't know the exact number). Also NEWCOMERS create hype. Go back to 2006 when they showed that first Brawl Trailer. How much were you fricken hyped? I was blown away. Though that was nothing compared to when they gave us the Sonic trailer.

anyway i got carried away there.... moving on:
a 42 to 49 character roster is the best bet for a roster in my view.

Also to be fair. I really don't like the idea of cuts this time round. I believe the roster is for most of it PERFECT. I thought of a few cuts, but then realised "NOPE. They belong there." I would like to see a few more make the cut though.

Also for Shulk i might go back and forth on that decision. I just finished Xenoblade last night. It is a beautiful game. Very well done. A rare gem on the Wii. For a long time he was part of my roster. But then i realised monolith are moving on from Xenoblade and doing something entirely new. Xenoblade would only really have one game in its arsenal. Can you make a moveset and expect Shulk to be a fan favourite and still relevant 3 to 4 years from now. He may just end up being a Nintendo memory. And his game could be lost to the ages.

D

Deleted member

I don't really get why everyone wants Waddle Dee or Bandana Dee or whatever... It's like having a Goomba or an Oktorok or something.
The only casual enemy I think has a slight possibility to get in is a Space Pirate from Metroid.
Probably has something to do with Returns to Dreamland in which he was playable. But if Bandanna Dee is going to be a contender, it's not going to be until Smash 5 (assuming of course he does gain a considerable amount of importance).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Because unlike generic enemies like Goomba and Octorok and even Space Pirate, Waddle Dee has actually been playable in a main (not a spin-off) Kirby game where he's one of the four protagonists - the other three are already in Smash.

And besides the only Space Pirate most fans want is Ridley so there you go.

Shiruzato

Smash Cadet
@shizurato: all of those points are generally agreed upon most in the serious speculation community. GY did make a point in that really any character can be given a workable and unique move set. I have nothing wrong against giving a character, who isn't known for fighting, a workable moveset. Look at Falcon, Fox, Falco, Mr. GW, Ice Climbers, and R.O.B. Not of these characters showcased any type of fighting abilities before their Smash debut.

*Everything you said*
I now understand how stupid the rule mentioned was, and have erased it from the list I made earlier.

As for the misnaming of Bubbles and lack of knowledge of his/her gameplay, I have never actually played the game and was going off of the Melee award trophy. I know, it wasn't at all wise of me to use a character that I have little-to-no knowledge of and I apologize sincerely for this.

On an entirely different note,
Because unlike generic enemies like Goomba and Octorok and even Space Pirate, Waddle Dee has actually been playable in a main (not a spin-off) Kirby game where he's one of the four protagonists - the other three are already in Smash.

And besides the only Space Pirate most fans want is Ridley so there you go.
The protagonist from Kirby's Return to Dream Land you are referring to is actually Bandana Dee, Dedede's right hand man and personal servant. The Waddle Dee enemy class itself however has about as much chance as a Goomba, and will most likely remain as an object for Dedede to throw with his S-Spec until SSB10, when they run out of ideas for characters and have already included every variety of Nintendog.

I would personally prefer Knuckle Joe, seeing as how he is the suggested protagonist in Helper-to-Hero in Kirby Superstar Ultra and how he was an intelligent assist trophy in Brawl, and also has large moveset potential. However, Bandana Dee does seem more likely, as he was given the spear ability and was a playable character in the most recent Kirby game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom