• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Miyamoto also said that he hopes the attraction in Nintendo Land will tide the fans over until the next release.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Shulk is the main protagonist of the JRPG Xenoblade Chronicles. I heavily recommend you check out the support thread on this site. Very informative, and i'm sure you'll be a fan.

I think Dry Bowser would be better as an Alternate costume, kind of like Dr. Mario would be to Mario. That way, the character could still technically be in the game without taking up a slot.
I could think of loads of way that dry bowser could be unique to bowser i always play him being playable in my mind. He be sooo sick.

:phone:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm sure Dry Bowser could be pretty cool. If he isn't a character (which I wouldn't get my hopes up for) he'll surely be an alternate costume.

Retro is a Nintendo Developer, so i'm pretty sure they can't make anything for Xbox or Playstation. I'm not totally sure though

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
idk why they would make a game for anything thats not Nintendo. while they do have some experience with the DS/3DS it would be more likely that they would be using the Wii U. especially with the great receptions they have on the home consoles. it does say on Wikipedia (take that as you will) that their big project is for the Wii U though

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Using Pit as an example doesn't really work, as he's a retro character. I have a hard time rooting for an F-Zero character because there hasn't been a game in quite a few years. I loved GX too. I would just rather have a ton of other good characters than having an F-Zero character for the sake of having one.
Okay very well...What about Lucas? I'm pretty sure Earthbound is a pretty niche franchise that only a handful of fans want more of. F-Zero is just as popular, if not even more popular than Earthbound.

Let me be clear, if the devs can't create an interesting/unique move-set for ANY character, I don't want them in. But, seeing how Sakurai and his team was able to pull a whole move-set for Captain Falcon out of their a55; They clearly have the brain power to create a unique move-sets for just about any character. The energy spent creating these new move-sets I would like to be focused on the under represented or not so well known franchises.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Retro is a first party Nintendo developer, they legally can't make a game for non-Nintendo system.

Agreed, although we didn't forget, this is Mario after all. Most of it just depends on whether or not you think Toad can fight/should stay a supporting character.
Even if Toad (who should be next in line) doesn't get in, I still think Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario have enough merit to warrant inclusion as well. An argument could also be made for Waluigi I suppose, but I'm not going to be the one making it. ;):p

Either way, I agree Toad should be the next Mario character to get in, but really all four have reasons why they could be included, and personally I'd be fine with any of them.

I don't know about that. I think the whole "who's who" and especially the "where from" thing are often overanalyzed. I really think that potential characters should be looked more at an individualistic level and less a holistic level since holistic is more limiting. I don't think adding Toad and/or Bowser Jr. would be that big of a problem if they play in an appealing way - probably what kept R.O.B. popular post reveal.
Yeah, I agree with you, that's why I said I didn't think Sakurai had the mentality of looking at it from a holistic/series-centric viewpoint, rather a character-by-character individual merit mentality. However, I think for some series it does play a little bit of a bigger factor than others, like ones where Sakurai might not have complete say over (Pokemon). Either way, I'd agree, individualistic is a better mentality to have, and hopefully the one Sakurai indeed does have.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'm sure Dry Bowser could be pretty cool. If he isn't a character (which I wouldn't get my hopes up for) he'll surely be an alternate costume.

Retro is a Nintendo Developer, so i'm pretty sure they can't make anything for Xbox or Playstation. I'm not totally sure though
My Realistic Expectations for Dry Bowser are like 15/

But he is getting alotta love in the past couple years.

MK Wii sorta kicked off For him and Funky Kong.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Okay very well...What about Lucas? I'm pretty sure Earthbound is a pretty niche franchise that only a handful of fans want more of. F-Zero is just as popular, if not even more popular than Earthbound.

Let me be clear, if the devs can't create an interesting/unique move-set for ANY character, I don't want them in. But, seeing how Sakurai and his team was able to pull a whole move-set for Captain Falcon out of their a55; They clearly have the brain power to create a unique move-sets for just about any character. The energy spent creating these new move-sets I would like to be focused on the under represented or not so well known franchises.
I really think some people give them way too much credit for making a moveset for Captain Falcon. Sure he never gets out of his car in the games or whatever, but he's a human, and a bounty hunter. How hard would it really be to come up with a moveset for him besides the specials.

Obviously, some characters need a bit of thought to make their moveset, but I really don't think it was that difficult. Maybe more difficult than most other characters, but it couldn't have been from a stroke of genius.

I do agree with your comparison to Lucas though. That works far better than Pit would. I would say the one thing that would be a shoe in opportunity for F-Zero is a new release on the Wii U. Otherwise i'm not convinced.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah, I agree with you, that's why I said I didn't think Sakurai had the mentality of looking at it from a holistic/series-centric viewpoint, rather a character-by-character individual merit mentality. However, I think for some series it does play a little bit of a bigger factor than others, like ones where Sakurai might not have complete say over (Pokemon). Either way, I'd agree, individualistic is a better mentality to have, and hopefully the one Sakurai indeed does have.
So Lyn for SSB4 then?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Thanks NEON for clearing that up.

I was really unsure where Retro stand as devs and that but im shocked that there first party!

Its truly and forever be sad that Rare has gone from Ninty but we got Retro! thats great! now they need to suck it up and realise god made them to make Metroid games and get on with it again!!!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So Lyn for SSB4 then?
Sure... right after Micaiah...

:troll:

Thanks NEON for clearing that up.

I was really unsure where Retro stand as devs and that but im shocked that there first party!

Its truly and forever be sad that Rare has gone from Ninty but we got Retro! thats great! now they need to suck it up and realise god made them to make Metroid games and get on with it again!!!
I'd rather have Rare back. Well, not current Rare. I'd rather they never left... :(
(they were only ever second party though, if Rare had been first-party... well... Banjo would be in Smash by now :laugh:)

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
well Retro did hire a bunch of guys from Naughty Dog, Virgil Games, and Id Software. so maybe they are looking at a sort of action adventure type of game.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Its cool man dont worry about it just saying.

Yo did Retro Studios state what Console there big secret game is gonna be on?

3DS?
WiiU?
Xbox?
PS?

Retro only work for Nintendo at the moment.

Edited: I bet that they might be working on new Takamaru game.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I really think some people give them way too much credit for making a moveset for Captain Falcon. Sure he never gets out of his car in the games or whatever, but he's a human, and a bounty hunter. How hard would it really be to come up with a moveset for him besides the specials.

Obviously, some characters need a bit of thought to make their moveset, but I really don't think it was that difficult. Maybe more difficult than most other characters, but it couldn't have been from a stroke of genius.

I do agree with your comparison to Lucas though. That works far better than Pit would. I would say the one thing that would be a shoe in opportunity for F-Zero is a new release on the Wii U. Otherwise i'm not convinced.
With that mindset I'm sure by the time SSB5 rolls around you will be saying:
Future Scoliosis Jones said:
I really think some people give them way too much credit for making a moveset for Samurai Goroh. Sure he never gets out of his car in the games or whatever, but he's a human, and a bounty hunter. How hard would it really be to come up with a moveset for him besides the specials.
Like you said how hard can it be? I mean after all he is a bounty hunter AND a human so it must be easy to formulate a moveset. Right?

Also aren't the specials the key attributes that make each character? I mean heck DK only uses 1 special that can be found in his games. Sakurai and his team not only demonstrated that he can create a moveset for a character who has no move pool source, but also create an entirely new move set for character who already has a move pool to begin with. So i don't see the problem with wanting a variety of characters if they have proven from both extremes they can make a good move-set.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Sure... right after Micaiah...

:troll:

I'd rather have Rare back. Well, not current Rare. I'd rather they never left... :(
(they were only ever second party though, if Rare had been first-party... well... Banjo would be in Smash by now :laugh:)
Ofc..Who wouldnt want Rare back..or even better wish they never left..

Rare were kings no doubt

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Retro only work for Nintendo at the moment.

Edited: I bet that they might working on new Takamaru's game.
If that's the case, then like Sakurai had said, Takamaru will be in. (Sakurai had mentioned probably including him if he has a revival game.)

So, from the way I see things, the only character I see returning 100% at this point is Mewtwo. No question. If Takamaru gets a new game, then there is no doubt in my mind that he will be in. Maybe not even as a retro. Who knows?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
If that's the case, then like Sakurai had said, Takamaru will be in. (Sakurai had mentioned probably including him if he has a revival game.)

So, from the way I see things, the only character I see returning 100% at this point is Mewtwo. No question. If Takamaru gets a new game, then there is no doubt in my mind that he will be in. Maybe not even as a retro. Who knows?
I love what you said about Mewtwo!!!!!! xD

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I love what you said about Mewtwo!!!!!! xD

I should have worded the comment better because Mewtwo and Roy are really the only two I could see returning lol. But that's pretty much irrelevant.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. If Mewtwo was planned since Smash Bros. 64, was in Melee, and then planned for Brawl, maintains the popularity in both regions (being Japan and the West) then I see no reason for him to not come back. He was supposed to be in Brawl anyway. So really, it's as if he really shouldn't have ever left in the first place.

FE discussions aren't so bad when they consist of more than trying to argue why Micaiah won't get in with the same person. :p
Yeah a bunch of it is most of you (and I said most, not all since there are those that don't or do agree with me) target me because I like Micaiah, want her in, believe she makes a lot of sense, and think she would be a great character.

:awesome:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mario possibilities? For pure Mario characters, there's Toad, Bowser Jr.(with or without Shadow Mario), and Waluigi, in no specific order.

Dr. Mario coming back is arguably his own series.

Paper Mario would rep his own series most likely(and the rpg's in general)

I wouldn't mind seeing a Yoshi character(Kamek or Shy Guy are great choices) or a Wario character(Kat and Ana, Captain Syrup, and Ashley are the ones I like the most).

Unrelated to them, DK still has Dixie and King K. Rool for the best possible choices. Dixie was somewhat planned, and K. Rool is their first major villain.(do they have any other ones besides technically Jumpman(who was remade into Mario, although probably was closer to being Mario's father/grandfather instead)?) Also, K. Rool could have costumes for stuff like Captain K. Rool.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I should have worded the comment better because Mewtwo and Roy are really the only two I could see returning lol. But that's pretty much irrelevant.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. If Mewtwo was planned since Smash Bros. 64, was in Melee, and then planned for Brawl, maintains the popularity in both regions (being Japan and the West) then I see no reason for him to not come back. He was supposed to be in Brawl anyway. So really, it's as if he really shouldn't have ever left in the first place.
I REAALLY Like what you said about Mewtwo!!!

I dont want it to happen but just wondering..is there a chance that Falcon will be scrapped?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I REAALLY Like what you said about Mewtwo!!!

I dont want it to happen but just wondering..is there a chance that Falcon will be scrapped?
I highly doubt it. He has one of the most popular/memorable moves in the game. I mean just yesterday I was watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kubtgQrJBLk (Skip to 8:52)

If anyone has played Smash bros, one move they know for certain is Falcon Punch.

@Scoliosis Jones Do you have a response to my last post on the previous page? I'm curious to know.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
@ Moon Monkey yes, my response is on the previous page.

@ Dark Phazon, I guarantee they will not remove Falcon. They don't really have a good enough reason to. Plus he's an original 12. That's gotta mean something right?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
The last post you made was in regards to IntelliHeath1's comments about Retro's mystery title. Which isn't really a response to what was talking about. That was 2 posts after my last post on that page.

Yeah, I doubt any of the Original 12 will leave.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Hes way to jokes to remove funniest char in Smash history always has been always will be.

Although Wario is jokes aswell.

Loool ''***** I Will Falcon Punch yo *****''

I keep forgetting that Falcon is a orginal 12.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I have been looking at the Japanese sales for Paon's DK games, and its no wonder why they have not made another DK game since 2007. Although Paon's games were usually mediocre, at least they kept the other Rare DK characters in the spotlight. By comparison, Donkey Kong Country Returns sold close to one million copies in Japan alone. Heck, all three games in the DKC trilogy sold over 1.5 million copies in Japan (even DKC3).

Donkey Kong is a very big series despite its relatively small presence within Smash Bros. (it usually gets more stages than most other series). However, in Brawl, the DK series only had two playable characters, three stages, two items (Hammer and Spring), and no Assist Trophies or Bosses. In terms of major active series, I feel DK definitely got the short end of the stick.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
A lot of series got the short end of the stick. If it's not name Mario, Kirby, Zelda, or Pokemon, be lucky to even get 10 trophies or songs. Hell, there is absolutely nothing that references Wario Land in any shape or form.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That had to do with the ******** logic to use only preexisting models as possessed to actually making the trophies like in Melee where the selection also happened to be fairly diverse.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That had to do with the ******** logic to use only preexisting models as possessed to actually making the trophies like in Melee where the selection also happened to be fairly diverse.
There is the argument that the stickers were designed to compensate for this, but even that is lazy due to a lot of the stickers recycling artwork from varies other games.

Seriously, whoever was handling the trophies and stickers needs to be shot in the foot for making everything so half baked. I mean even the information describing the stuff were frequently incorrect. :glare:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
A lot of series got the short end of the stick. If it's not name Mario, Kirby, Zelda, or Pokemon, be lucky to even get 10 trophies or songs. Hell, there is absolutely nothing that references Wario Land in any shape or form.
yh i thought that was ******** and unfair how there was nooo refrences to wario land..Warios Aerial Left(A) should have been a damn elbow smash!!!

He shoulda proberly been able to pick guys up with one hand and super throw em! but that woulda looked weired..and maybe cheap/op..

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The last post you made was in regards to IntelliHeath1's comments about Retro's mystery title. Which isn't really a response to what was talking about. That was 2 posts after my last post on that page.

Yeah, I doubt any of the Original 12 will leave.
There should be another post in there replying to your post.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
A lot of series got the short end of the stick. If it's not name Mario, Kirby, Zelda, or Pokemon, be lucky to even get 10 trophies. Hell, there is absolutely nothing that references Wario Land in any shape or form.
Mother had very good content for a series that has only three games, two of which were Japan-only. It had two playable characters, two stages, two items, an Assist Trophy, and a boss. The only area where it got shafted were in the area of trophies in which all of its trophies were content that already had a model elsewhere in the game.

However, trophies in general were a step down from Melee. Much of the trophies in Brawl were model rips from other games. For example, much of Zelda's trophies were model rips from Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, much of Star Fox's trophies were model rips from Assault, much of DK's trophies were model rips from Bongo Blast, much of Fire Emblem's trophies were model rips from Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, much of Kirby's trophies were probably model rips from Kirby GCN, much of Pokemon's trophies were model rips from Battle Revolution, much of F-Zero's trophies were model rips from GX.

F-Zero got it pretty bad too. Only had one character, two stages, and one Assist Trophy. No items and no bosses (though F-Zero could not have a boss anyway).

Wario was repped pretty well if you ignore the fact that they pretty much ignored the Wario Land series (which only was referenced with one sticker and maybe Overalls Wario).

Fire Emblem could have been been better. FE4 and FE5 received no content at all. The poor trophy selection was pretty much due to the poor (or rather lazy) trophy selection of Brawl in general.

Yoshi is the most spinoffy of the Mario spinoff series, so it lacking in content compared to other series is understandable.

Metroid received a good amount of content too (the only thing it needed was Ridley as a playable character). So did Kirby (whose content was perfect), as well was Star Fox (the low-polygon Andross Assist Trophy was a nice way to represent the original game).

So overall, the only three series I would say got the short end of the stick in terms of content were DK, F-Zero, and Wario (which was only because there was barely anything referencing the Wario Land series).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Falcon is Sakurai's favorite Smash character, and his moveset is generally based upon the original version of the game, Dragon King: The Fighting Game. He's technically the first made character, so scrapping him is entirely out of the question. That, and people would call bloody murder about it. Even more than say, Jigglypuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom