• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Well since you're here may as well ask you...

You got any links to those Japanese forums you get your info.

The two most popular forums, Futaba and 2channel don't have much speculation. Not to mention you need a whitelisted Japanese IP to post on Futaba channel.

I wanna check out what the Japanese have to say myself, maybe even join in on the talk.

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I've done alot worse in that regard, so I'm kinda wondering how people think about me at times. :rolleyes: Then again, you peeps are definitely not easy listeners. At least, when it comes to Impa.

Brawl was also revealed after E3 iirc. I think it'll depend on what other titles they have to show.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Yeah this is getting pretty ridiculous...

All I can do is draw, play games and model 5hit for my portfolio. School should really help get my mind off of the lack of new info

D

Deleted member

I've done alot worse in that regard, so I'm kinda wondering how people think about me at times. :rolleyes: Then again, you peeps are definitely not easy listeners. At least, when it comes to Impa.

Brawl was also revealed after E3 iirc. I think it'll depend on what other titles they have to show.

brofist.jpg

I may not agree with you on the Impa thing, but I still think you're a total bro. You're generally very easygoing and friendly.

In fact, the way you express yourself reminds me of a good friend I have in the states. You wouldn't happen to live in Florida by any chance?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I can't remember Manly acting superior/condescending towards us.
He has done it a lot of times to a lot of people.
For a fella who even admits Lyn's not very likely despite him supporting her, that's some sign of humility to the community IMO.
He only started to come around to that opinion after myself and others spent a long time debating him about Lyn's chances. Lyn as a character has most of her popularity based in the West. There are other characters that have most of their popularity based in the West such as Ridley, Little Mac, Isaac, and Krystal, all of which have far more requests than Lyn does (and more importance and relevancy within their respective franchises as well).
And so far I can't remember him shoving his opinions down our throats, just telling how interesting they would be in Smash (and personally he's done a good job.)
He was doing it on Lyn and Bayonetta. He does not do it as much anymore.

It's bit creepy that I'm try to see through him despite him being kinda insultive in 4chan way at times but I don't think he's a rude person. So far he hasn't insulted me even despite me also being doubtful of Lyn's chances and so far he's brought more interesting things than being this rude poster who none likes. Usually in regards of FE-rep speaking that's where things get heated.
I think its because he has not attacked you. When he does attack people its usually personal insults. I also don't think he has attacked you because you are actually a fan of Lyn, and you yourself have made posts thinking that she is unfairly discounted.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not sure what you mean by this.

Smash already has a mechanic for having strong and weak attacks using the analog stick. And if you add a second button for a new set of normals, what does that mean? Is it a whole new set of Tilts/Smashes/Aerials? Or is just a set of four new attacks? IMO in the latter case it seems wasteful, and in both cases it seems overly complicated.

If you want to really understand my perspective on the matter, I suggest you watch this.
Just four new attacks. The tilt-smash distinction would possible go away. I've been wondering how the 3DS circle pad would respond to repeated Smash inputs with things like dash dancing.

I'll check out that video.

D

Deleted member

^^^
Oy Chrono,

Well since you're here may as well ask you...

You got any links to those Japanese forums you get your info.

The two most popular forums, Futaba and 2channel don't have much speculation. Not to mention you need a whitelisted Japanese IP to post on Futaba channel.

I wanna check out what the Japanese have to say myself, maybe even join in on the talk.
Links plox

I need you to back up your claims with sources. I'm interested in seeing what the Japanese have to say. I also know some Moonspeak, but so for what I've seen contradicts what you say about Smash speculation.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
^^^
I need you to back up your claims with sources. I'm interested in seeing what the Japanese have to say. I also know some Moonspeak, but so for what I've seen contradicts what you say about Smash speculation.
Sending a PM. Also, ToiseofChoice, N3ON, and Starphoenix have said the same things I have in regards to Japanese popularity.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Just four new attacks. The tilt-smash distinction would possible go away. I've been wondering how the 3DS circle pad would respond to repeated Smash inputs with things like dash dancing. .
Don't see how removing the tilt-smash distinction would fix that. Also, IMO removing the distinction between tilts and Smashes is even worse that just adding another set of attacks, as it not only seems more complicated IMO, but would also remove one of the things that makes Smash unique as a fighter(i.e. using analog controls instead of digital controls).

EDIT: Also, I'd like to bring up that it's possible that Sakurai thinks that there are already 3 different attack levels(Neutral/Strong(Tilt)/Smash), given that the "How to Play" video refers to them separately.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ugh, this whole "unique" argument again. Not at you specifically, but more of the fanbase in general.

People need to realize that things are more than the sum of their parts. Having similarities isn't a bad thing. What makes something unique is how all its traits work together. Things like Virtua Fighter type inputs, 3D strings, 2D plane, platformer emphasis, strictly ring-out KO methods, % over HP etc. are not all that unique when taken piece by piece. It's another thing all together when you combined them to see what you get.

Likewise, this applies to "clones". While I'm not the biggest fan of them in the slightest, having similar attacks isn't always a bad thing either. That being said, if you can diverge thing in future updates/sequels, then you should. Another thing is that people say Zelda is unique for her ability to transform to Sheik. Not only does this undermine Zelda in favor of Sheik by saying this, but it doesn't tell you the whole story of how she works.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
ChronoBound said:
He has done it a lot of times to a lot of people.
Might've been missing it but I'm curious to see when. But I dunno, is he then hated here?

He only started to come around to that opinion after myself and others spent a long time debating him about Lyn's chances. Lyn as a character has most of her popularity based in the West. There are other characters that have most of their popularity based in the West such as Ridley, Little Mac, Isaac, and Krystal, all of which have far more requests than Lyn does (and more importance and relevancy within their respective franchises as well).
Lyn's importance is still subjective matter to me because I view it as biased negatively on her that "Lyn's west side popularity has to be noted as something to be viewed as even more negative to her (attractive, attracts male audience in West and so on), which even more degrades her as significant to FE-series. She isn't unimportant to the series despite her small role in the game. Not at all. To be the one introducing to the series' main mechanics and even if the storyline and feel of her main game (and hell the whole series by brief) for Westerners in mind is quite something. And if the localization wanted to emphasize on that, then goshers, that's some dedication to "the most insignificant lord" in the series.
And it's still must be weird why her fans get serviced back by Brawl and even if FE13, when much more popular Hector could have been chosen instead.

He was doing it on Lyn and Bayonetta. He does not do it as much anymore.
Of course. But that's what many of us tended to do too. Diddy and Impa was even worse. At least it shows me that Manly isn't some gullible and stuck-up "fanboy" and he can change. But it shouldn't mean that he should also jump in the bandwagon of thinking Lyn's worthless to support.

I think its because he has not attacked you. When he does attack people its usually personal insults. I also don't think he has attacked you because you are actually a fan of Lyn, and you yourself have made posts thinking that she is unfairly discounted.
Of course, but that's all deeply my own opinions. And also, I can still sense how overbearing bad posters can be for others and develop grudge to them at once if they're doing it blatantly. And I've seen how Manly posts at times which I view as bit "inappropriate". I had view it as something not very suitable for forums (4chan-styled "payback"-posts aren't looked up highly) like these, but it's not so bad it outweighs my interests on him as a debater (unless I'm being bit too tolerating for some peoples' tastes), since he's proven that much more than been insulting people around. Does he even insult people in purpose and cunningly does it like trollers usually do? I haven't seen that much.

I dunno really, but when's he's not being dealing with long runs of argument and throwing his fit around, he's very cool guy to me. And of anything, I bet IT'S NOT because I like Lyn and am defending her. (-=^l-)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Ugh, this whole "unique" argument again. Not at you specifically, but more of the fanbase in general.

People need to realize that things are more than the sum of their parts. Having similarities isn't a bad thing. What makes something unique is how all its traits work together. Things like Virtua Fighter type inputs, 3D strings, 2D plane, platformer emphasis, strictly ring-out KO methods, % over HP, etc. are not all that unique when taken piece by piece. It's another thing all together when you combined them to see what you get.
For the most part, I agree. I think Smash can take things from other fighters, but IMO some things(like the use of analog instead of digital controls, or having a dedicated buttons for specials, among others).

Likewise, this applies to "clones". While I'm not the biggest fan of them in the slightest, having similar attacks isn't always a bad thing either. That being said, if you can diverge thing in future updates/sequels, then you should.
QFT. I'm not "pro-clone" at all, but I don't see the need to cut characters or reduce a characters moveset to a gimmicky mess just for "diversity."

Edit: With regards to Manly, he's mellowed out considerably compared to when he first started posting.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
For the most part, I agree. I think Smash can take things from other fighters, but IMO some things(like the use of analog instead of digital controls, or having a dedicated buttons for specials, among others).
To a certain extent, having a dedicated button for specials isn't that unique of a concept either. At least in fighting games, BlazBlue took this concept further. Everyone has their specials, but their D button is left open ended for various uses. Ragna, Jin, Noel, Makoto, Rachel, etc. all use their D button in completely different ways. Other nonfighting games have likely gone with this concept for years.

As for analog controls, I think you're right to a certain extent, but there comes the question of where is it most practical and efficient to utilize analog controls. In other words, where are there situations where the move sensitive analog input is a better choice over the rigid digital input. Take the distinction between walking and running. In other fighters, the two are distinguished with a single or double tap forward respectively. If you took this into Smash Bros., it would be doable so long the game makes the distinction that doing an opposite input while running has you run in the opposite way. IMO, controlling the positioning of your shield with an analog input is something that I've yet to see in a fighting game and would really stand out. Of course, most seem to find that too complicated for beginners.

Oddly enough, when I played Brawl for the first time in a long time, I had difficulty making my tilt and Smash inputs separate and consistent.

Still, unique is fine, but being unique for the sake of being unique isn't always a good thing as you said with turning characters "gimmicky".

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
brofist.jpg

I may not agree with you on the Impa thing, but I still think you're a total bro. You're generally very easygoing and friendly.

In fact, the way you express yourself reminds me of a good friend I have in the states. You wouldn't happen to live in Florida by any chance?

*brofist*

Nah man, am European. Say, about 3 countries north from you.

You're a bro to man, which is why I feel taking it up for you. New users have it rougher around here. And new faces help not repeating the same thing over and over again.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Me and ManlySpririt have decided to patch things up and bury the hatchet. No more forum drama hopefully. I am sorry that we let a feud almost destroy this thread. Hopefully, this thread won't sink to those petty lows ever again (though it probably will when E3 comes around and gets hundreds of new posters at this site as result).

Sakurai: Hey guys, Kamiya let me play Bayonetta 2 before anyone else. :troll:

* **** starts up again.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And so once again, the day is saved thanks to the Powerpuff Girls!

It's good that you guys made up. Now the next five months can be nice again. :D

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Chrono and Manly's feud is nothing compared to the recent derp.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's true. Perhaps now we can combine our forces, given the recent coming-to-terms, and fight the derp. In other words, don't encourage excessive derp, everyone.

Little jokes here and there are good though. :awesome:

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
That was an...interesting catchup,

I feel like I'm for exited for characters that have just come out (Dillion, harmoknights) characters who are important to the franchise, but not important enough to there franchise (cranky, mew, micaiah) and a few oddball characters (mr. stevenson, actually just mr. stevenson) and 3rd parties that have other third party ahead (viva piñata, ace atourney)

Probably the only real candidate that I support is Isaac

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
From what I can tell I said one minor thing and a huge argument not even involving me stemmed from it. I can't even begin to understand how that happened... It's gone now, so it remains to the ones involved who know of it apparently.

@DragonSniperNintendo:
we just calmed something, is this necessary again?? It's a good picture though, nice work.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I hate the fact that the majority of possible/likely Fire Emblem reps are sword users. Yeah, I know that's because the majority of the Lords are sword users. I honestly want to see Ephraim over all the possible male Fire Emblem reps, just to see how he would play like. :c

From what I can tell I said one minor thing and a huge argument not even involving me stemmed from it. I can't even begin to understand how that happened... It's gone now, so it remains to the ones involved who know of it apparently.

@DragonSniperNintendo:
we just calmed something, is this necessary again?? It's a good picture though, nice work.
Thanks for the thoughts

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Me and ManlySpririt have decided to patch things up and bury the hatchet. No more forum drama hopefully. I am sorry that we let a feud almost destroy this thread. Hopefully, this thread won't sink to those petty lows ever again (though it probably will when E3 comes around and gets hundreds of new posters at this site as result).

Sakurai: Hey guys, Kamiya let me play Bayonetta 2 before anyone else. :troll:

* **** starts up again.
Glad to hear you both came to an amicable resolution. I doubt either of you could destroy this thread.

Marth - Shadow Dragon/Heroes of Light and Shadow
Micaiah - Radiant Dawn
Ike - Radiant Dawn
Chrom - Awakening
There is no way that's happening. Not with Micaiah anyhow.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Unfortunately, micaiah doesn't have going for her, she doesn't have a lot of popularity (Roy, Lyn), or either multiple games (Ike) or a new game (Chrom)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom