• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am kind of thankful that we didn't get the 7 cut characters over Sonic. It was a pretty wise decision overall.
Yeah, good thing we won't have people begging Sakurai to not cut Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, and Plusle & Minun from SSB4. :)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Anyway, what makes you say Toon Link is still relevant? I mean, his last two games were poorly received and he's losing steam in regard to popularity, he represented an era in the Zelda franchise, one that's practically at its end.
In Japan, Toon Link is still incredibly popular. Phantom Hourglass was the last Zelda game to break a million copies sold (before that the last Zelda game to sell over a million copies in Japan was Ocarina of Time). Spirit Tracks also sold around 700K in Japan, which was more than what Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time 3D did.

There is still a lot of love for Toon Link in Japan, and I would not be surprised if they revisited him if the next handheld Zelda is an original title and not a Majora's Mask (or A Link To The Past) remake.

However, if Toon Link does not get in, I expect it will be due to Young Link being swapped back with him. Back during pre-Melee, Sakurai said the reason he included Young Link was because he felt including a child version of Link was important due to how Link is a child in most of the games in the Zelda series. We will get a child Link for Smash 4, its simply a matter of what design Sakurai will choose.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Or people demanding Dixie be separated from Diddy in place of K. Rool.

:phone:
LOL If that happened, I can see Sakurai trolling by replacing the Diddy & Dixie team with Diddy Kong (solo) and a Dixie & Kiddy team (to keep the tag team gimmick). :troll:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
The only thing I don't want to happen is for the Zelda series to have a clone roster. I'm fine with Tink but it's 3 steps too far if we add in Toon Ganon and Toon Zelda as well. They shouldn't get in over original reoccuring characters in the series. And as much as I love Skull kid, I'd rather not see 1 shots take priority over them as well. For me it should be either Impa, Vaati or Tingle with a personal preference for Vaati.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i can see Toon Link coming back. he is still popular and he represents the Zelda games that the other Link just doesn't

@Shamshadow agreed

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The only thing I don't want to happen is for the Zelda series to have a clone roster. I'm fine with Tink but it's 3 steps too far if we add in Toon Ganon and Toon Zelda as well. They shouldn't get in over original reoccuring characters in the series. And as much as I love Skull kid, I'd rather not see 1 shots take priority over them as well. For me it should be either Impa, Vaati or Tingle with a personal preference for Vaati.
Toon Ganondorf will never happen.

Toon Zelda is possible though due to Toon Zelda being planned at some point for Brawl and having had a major role in one of the two original Zelda games released after Brawl (Spirit Tracks).

I think the main contenders for a Zelda newcomer spot are Tingle, Ghirahim, and Toon Zelda. However, I think a Zelda newcomer is unlikely in general. Diddy Kong will also jump up and down that Impa is also contender though.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
In a perfect world (aka my world), the Zelda roster would consist of Link, Zelda (with new Down+B), Ganondorf (with revamped moveset), Impa (with Sheik's old moveset plus new Down+B and Final Smash), Tingle, and Vaati (with Toon Link's old moveset plus new specials). No young Links, no toon Zeldas, no clones. Ahh, if only... :(

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I see Skyward Sword as a brand new direction of where the Zelda series are going. It's also said the next Zelda game will take on the SS graphical style. Hence, I think they're going for SS-HD graphics. And I think the next Zelda game has a lot to do with it all. Just don't expect them to go the OoT route again. Maybe for 3DS, but not for Wii U. Hence, I said Sheik and Impa could be version exclusives before.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I see Skyward Sword as a brand new direction of where the Zelda series are going. It's also said the next Zelda game will take on the SS graphical style. Hence, I think they're going for SS-HD graphics. And I think the next Zelda game has a lot to do with it all. Just don't expect them to go the OoT route again. Maybe for 3DS, but not for Wii U. Hence, I said Sheik and Impa could be version exclusives before.

Actually, Aonuma has said that the Skyward Sword graphical/artstyle won't be re-used in a future Zelda game.

D

Deleted member

In a perfect world (aka my world), the Zelda roster would consist of Link, Zelda (with new Down+B), Ganondorf (with revamped moveset), Impa (with Sheik's old moveset plus new Down+B and Final Smash), Tingle, and Vaati (with Toon Link's old moveset plus new specials). No young Links, no toon Zeldas, no clones. Ahh, if only... :(
My ideal roster for Zelda would be to take what we have, replace Toon Link with Masked Link, and revamp the Triforce Trio completely.

I see Skyward Sword as a brand new direction of where the Zelda series are going.
What? No way dude... SS is hardly a new direction, it still follows the OoT formula but simplifies it even more. The only "new" thing about SS is the art style really.

Just take a look at the discussion we've had in this thread here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=331273

Skip my long post about TES related ideas, and read Jam Stunna's brilliant posts, likewise Tacel's commentary on the current Zelda audience.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
LOL If that happened, I can see Sakurai trolling by replacing the Diddy & Dixie team with Diddy Kong (solo) and a Dixie & Kiddy team (to keep the tag team gimmick). :troll:
Of course...then, for SSB5, you get people demanding Kiddy be cut. Honestly, the character is so (unjustly) hated, a gimmick with that duo would be almost as unpopular as a Ridley "based on the evolution seen in Other M." :troll:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
if anything, the next Zelda will look like this:
[COLLAPSE="Click to see"]
[/COLLAPSE]

this may be the version of Link we will be getting for the new Smash Bros. 4, since that model is already done and there's a Wii U Zelda game in the works.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh then I read yet another fake article.

Anyways, Impa would still make the most sence out of all SS characters, even if the rest of the Zelda characters are not SS related. As story related she
was warped from the ancient past by Hylia, and was said to protect her human form. Any Zelda incaration is Hylia's incarnate, so she could be warped to Smash to protect her yet again.
Also, if Ganondorf could fit in with SS characters, so could Impa with Zelda Wii U Link and Zelda. Sheik would obviously take priority if she's re-appearing though. But I see that as extremely unlikely.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My ideal roster for Zelda would be to take what we have, replace Toon Link with Masked Link, and revamp the Triforce Trio completely.
Well, that works too. I also support Masked Link. After all, Dekus, Gorons, and Zoras are the most important generic races right after Hylians, Sheikahs, and Gerudos.

Actually, Aonuma has said that the Skyward Sword Wiimote+Nunchuk motion controls won't be re-used in a future Zelda game.
That'd be so nice to get back to traditional but intuitive controls. ;)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Just like when the style from the Zelda tech demo for the Gamecube was later used for Wind Waker!

Oh wait...
You're right, but they DID use that tech demo's Ganondorf model for Melee... so, who's to say they won't use that Link for SSB4?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Of course...then, for SSB5, you get people demanding Kiddy be cut. Honestly, the character is so (unjustly) hated, a gimmick with that duo would be almost as unpopular as a Ridley "based on the evolution seen in Other M." :troll:

And then Sakurai cuts the Dixie & Kiddy team and adds Dixie Kong (solo) and a Tiny / Chunky / Lanky team. :troll:

Down+B to switch between Kongs by having them jump into the barrel a la Donkey Kong 64...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You're right, but they DID use that tech demo's Ganondorf model for Melee... so, who's to say they won't use that Link for SSB4?
Even so... Melee Ganondorf still doesn't use the sword that Spaceworld Demo Ganondorf did.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
No they didn't. The textures are completely different from that Spaceworld demo. At best, his Melee model was BASED off it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm imagining the SSB4 trailer playing out in my head. It starts out identically to Brawl's E3 2006 reveal, but after the main four characters' graphics upgrade, the camera cuts to Little Mac onstage out of nowhere, in his Assist Trophy design. The other four look at him in shock as he evolves into his Punch Out!! Wii outfit, after which his name flashes and the fight begins. :awesome:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm imagining the SSB4 trailer playing out in my head. It starts out identically to Brawl's E3 2006 reveal, but after the main four characters' graphics upgrade, the camera cuts to Little Mac onstage out of nowhere, in his Assist Trophy design. The other four look at him in shock as he evolves into his Punch Out!! Wii outfit, after which his name flashes and the fight begins. :awesome:
And Tingle Assist Trophy appears and he evolves into his Rosy Rupeeland appearance, and his name flashes. Kooloo Limpah! :troll:

But seriously, I like your idea for Little Mac. He's one of my most-wanted characters since pre-Brawl. :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's been so long already, those 5 months seem like nothing.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
As to Vaati, I did make a moveset for his specials(took me awhile to find) if anyones interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXHTMplT0Bc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaEMT5jS_l0&feature=related
http://youtu.be/jYZW8fwK6mk?t=7m56s

Thought I would go ahead and add these into this thread.

Also Moveset for Specials:

Neutral Special - Warlocks Pyre:
You press B and Vaati starts charging fire in his hand and press it again to fire a fireball that moves in a straight horizontal line. You can reserve this moves charge for later by finishing the charge completely or dodging out of the attack.

Charge Lv.1: does 6% sends out a small fireball with little to no knockback and short range
Charge Lv.2: does 11% sends out a faster medium sized fireball with medium to little knockback with descent range
Charge Lv.3: does 18% sends out a a large sized fireball with large knockback and good range.
Charge Lv.4: does 25% sends out a ball of lightning that moves extremely quick(slightly faster than a fully charged charge shot by Samus) and has large knockback as well as range.
(Based off Wrath "Minish Cap", Reborn "Minish Cap" & Bat Form "Four Swords")

Down Special - Shadow Barb:
Throws a purple spike an extremely short distance that stays on the ground for 5 seconds before disappearing. Any player that runs into or falls on it will take damage much like the spikes in Brawl cause. The spikes each have 14HP before they are destroyed so other players can destroy them usually with a smash attack. He can have 2 of these on the stage at once before having to wait for one of his to be destroyed or vanish on its own before using this move again. (Based off Transfigured Form "Minish Cap") Does 7% damage a hit.

Up Special - Cyclone:
Creates a big cyclone beneath himself and rides it diagonally upwards. This attack picks up items as well as other players sucking them upwards. Though this attack does no damage it only leaves him semi-helpless and he can still use his A moves.
(Based off Bat Form "Four Swords Adventures" and 1st form "Four Swords" )

Down Special - Mage Ray:
He sends out a single orb on both sides of him slightly above his height. They both shoot directly downwards damaging any opponent below them. If used in the air he sends out only one directly above himself that shoots diagonally downward.
(Based off Reborn Form "Minish Cap") Does 10% damage

Final Smash: Vaati's Wrath

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
As fun as it might be to box the crap outta the SBB cast with little mac, I have doubts about him being in smash. His moveset is preety hard to come up with, anyways. ( He is a boxer, so only thing he does is punch. )

D

Deleted member

[/IMG]
Brace yourselves for the Banjo-Kazooie reveal!!
If only...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Little Mac wouldn't any worse then Marth regarding to a move set. What's more important is whether the moves actually benefit the character.

D

Deleted member

As to Vaati, I did make a moveset for his specials(took me awhile to find) if anyones interested.

That's nice, I really like that, it brought back a nostalgic feeling fro Minish Cap, which is also my favorite Handheld Zelda and my overall 3rd fave in the series, with Majora's Mask and Zelda II being 1st and 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom