• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm not saying she's GUARANTEED to get in, but she's got a chance... About as equal (maybe slightly lower) than Roy's. This is mostly because hype for her has died down since Brawl as most fans see her chances as too slim. But like with Banjo, she's a character that just about anyone would like if she got in.
Spoken like a true blind fanboy.

Lyn is not one of the two most wanted characters in Japan, Lyn is not within the Top 10 most wanted characters in the West. Lyn was not planned as a playable character in Brawl. Lyn is not the most important lord of the Elibe arc. Guess which one is? Hint: He's got t3h ph1re. :troll:

Heck, in the DLC chapter in which you get Lyn, its part of a three chapter DLC arc of armies of Tellius and Elibe warring against each other. Guess who is the commander of all of the Tellius armies and guess who is the commander of all of the Elibe armies? Ike for Tellius and Roy for Elibe.

In the first part of the arc, Chrom sides with Roy's army. In the second chapter, Chrom sides with Ike's army. In the final part, Ike and Roy join forces and entire combined forces of Tellius and Elibe fight against Chrom.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't see how the ability to make an OC would be a bad thing. I mean if Soul Caliber got away with custom character features, who's to say that Super Smash Bros couldn't do the same?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
She is the least notable female lord. Celica was just as much the main lord of FE2 as Alm was, Eirika was just as much the lord of FE8 as Ephraim was, Micaiah pretty much shared FE10 with Ike. Lyn stopped being a lord and important to the plot after FE7's tutorial mode ended.
I don't get it. Her tutorial mode can be even played as a normal mode anyway, why you dismiss her as "just a tutorial lord"? I think the fact that she was pretty much the stepping stone to FE-series in general to western audience makes her somewhat special. And even then, her plot contributes something to the game. I can't really see her being just some fodder for plot that would have been just taken out to jump right into Eliwood's story.

Because she's physically attractive and a lord in the first Fire Emblem to be released stateside (idiots think she is the most important lord in that game, when in actuality she is probably the most insignificant lord in the entire series). In Japan, she is the least popular of the FE7 lords.

Here is even an official character poll that was done in Japan for FE7:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/ae7j/k_tohyo/index.html
Woah woah woah, hold it right there. Probably the most insignificant lord? Are you kidding me?

So are you saying that her being one even introducing the series for REAL to whole international gamers doesn't merit at her at all for being one of the most well-remembered lords for the western audience? It's bit creepy to think just how japanese view her means she's absolutely "insignificant". Roy's game isn't still localized even, which just makes me even more confused why you have to dismiss her popularity in west out when referring her being "insignificant".

Would Hector and/or Eliwood have just replaced her then? I dunno really, that still irks me that someone can say she's most insignificant lord when FE-series was even back then hard to even be marketed outside of Japan before FE7? And why didn't they then go out to localize Roy's game if they had so much of a chance then? Who knows.

And really, I can't even remember giving any damn about her figures at all. I personally found her personality and fighting traits even more interesting than her physical appearance.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
And really, I can't even remember giving any damn about her figures at all. I personally found her personality and fighting traits even more interesting than her physical appearance.
Are you an Amazon Chaser by chance?

And can't we just have Marth, Ike, Roy, and Lyn?

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Alas, my last out of place question before im done with them for some time.
Kid Icarus. Magnus, Palutena, or both?
I could hope for Hades, but hes got not a chance,

D

Deleted member

So are you saying that her being one even introducing the series for REAL to whole international gamers doesn't merit at her at all for being one of the most well-remembered lords for the western audience? It's bit creepy to think just how japanese view her means she's absolutely "insignificant". Roy's game isn't still localized even, which just makes me even more confused why you have to dismiss her popularity in west out when referring her being "insignificant".

Would Hector and/or Eliwood have just replaced her then? I dunno really, that still irks me that someone can say she's most insignificant lord when FE-series was even back then hard to even be marketed outside of Japan before FE7? And why didn't they then go out to localize Roy's game if they had so much of a chance then? Who knows.
Oh, Chrono's here? Dude... don't bother, he's just gonna start a ****storm. Every FE discussion with him involved dilutes into why Roy should be in Smash. Also I noticed one of those replies was for me. I'm surprised he hasn't set me to "ignore" like I have him...

Agreed, if we talk about physical attraction, Lyn's definitely low tier, in fact, ALL of her official art, is rather 'meh' (though I really like her fan-art). If we look at physical attraction alone, Fire Emblem has much better candidates with the likes of Shiida/Caeda, Elincia, Eirika, and that new mage chick Sariya.

@The Creator
Palutena hands down, she's practically guaranteed to get in.

@Kuma
And can't we just have Marth, Ike, Roy, and Lyn?
Because we're getting Chrom like it or not. In which case, ideally we should get: Marth, Ike, Chrom and Lyn :troll:

After all, Lyn's got more moveset potential than Cloney McFiresword.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't get it. Her tutorial mode can be even played as a normal mode anyway, why you dismiss her as "just a tutorial lord"? I think the fact that she was pretty much the stepping stone to FE-series in general to western audience makes her somewhat special.
That's an opinion. The fact that most of her importance within the game takes place within a tutorial is a fact.

And even then, her plot contributes something to the game. I can't really see her being just some fodder for plot that would have been just taken out to jump right into Eliwood's story.
She IS fodder to the plot. Heck, in the Japanese version for FE7 you can even skip Lyn's mode entirely.

Woah woah woah, hold it right there. Probably the most insignificant lord? Are you kidding me?
From a plot perspective, yeah she is. BY FAR. Hector and Eliwood even overshadow her far more than Ike did in FE10.

So are you saying that her being one even introducing the series for REAL to whole international gamers doesn't merit at her at all for being one of the most well-remembered lords for the western audience? It's bit creepy to think just how japanese view her means she's absolutely "insignificant".
So what you are saying is she should not be counted as insignificant due to being popular in the West. However, from measures outside of popularity she is the most insignificant lord, especially for the Japanese fanbase that received the entire series.

Roy's game isn't still localized even, which just makes me even more confused why you have to dismiss her popularity in west out when referring her being "insignificant".
Roy's game was not localized by Intelligent Systems thought it was too difficult to be an introductory game for Westerners. However, IS has talked about remaking it in recent years. The only Fire Emblem game that is more difficult than FE6, is FE5 (Thracia 776).

However, objectively she is the least important lord in her game. Go to any Fire Emblem fansite or board and ask them, "who is the least significant lord of FE7" and basically every non-troll response will tell you Lyn. Heck, I bet if you extended it to the entire series, most of the responses would be "Lyn".

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Oh, Chrono's here? Dude... don't bother, he's just gonna start a ****storm. Every FE discussion with him involved dilutes into why Roy should be in Smash. Also I noticed one of those replies was for me. I'm surprised he hasn't set me to "ignore" like I have him....
You are a pretty poor liar, and it seems you have not learned your lesson about slandering either. I don't turn every FE discussion into why Roy should be in Smash Bros.

There is reason why you received so many infractions, and why a lot of Smash Bros. community looks down on you.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Since Roy's new design is generally seen as appealing while Ike's is not, how would they be handled in SSB4? Would all FE characters have their new models, or just a select few?

:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
*cue montage of Fire Emblem discussions*

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and why you might find someone attractive can be for a variety of reasons. Some guys like *** or **** while I'm a legs guy.

@BKupa
They may do like Starfox and give them original designs.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Personally from the prospective of females, the only one I even remotely care about is Palutena for the more personal reasons of liking the character and Kid Icarus as a whole.

It really irks me when some people desperately want to turn Super Smash Bros. into some sort of waifu dating sim or a Dead or Alive volleyball game. Being a women is not significant and it never was, so stop using that nonsense as an excuse.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Are you an Amazon Chaser by chance?
Hahahah, if that was projected to me liking Palutena, then no. I'm not.

I have actually hard time to even determine my interests. (-=A0-);

And if anything Chrono, I wouldn't call Manly "fanboy" even if I'm also having hard time seeing Lyn as a playable (as much as I'd like to see her).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
That's an opinion. The fact that most of her importance within the game takes place within a tutorial is a fact.

She IS fodder to the plot. Heck, in the Japanese version for FE7 you can even skip Lyn's mode entirely.

From a plot perspective, yeah she is. BY FAR. Hector and Eliwood even overshadow her far more than Ike did in FE10.

So what you are saying is she should not be counted as insignificant due to being popular in the West. However, from measures outside of popularity she is the most insignificant lord, especially for the Japanese fanbase that received the entire series.

Roy's game was not localized by Intelligent Systems thought it was too difficult to be an introductory game for Westerners. However, IS has talked about remaking it in recent years. The only Fire Emblem game that is more difficult than FE6, is FE5 (Thracia 776).

However, objectively she is the least important lord in her game. Go to any Fire Emblem fansite or board and ask them, "who is the least significant lord of FE7" and basically every non-troll response will tell you Lyn. Heck, I bet if you extended it to the entire series, most of the responses would be "Lyn".
So let me see, anyone else than LYN is being trollish. It's such a huge fact that she's insignificant that you can't just even accept anyone else in that position. Are you not sure you're just exaggarating here?

Was there hate when Lyn was announced being chosen over Hector or Eliwood in FE13 DLC, anyway?

D

Deleted member

Since Roy's new design is generally seen as appealing while Ike's is not, how would they be handled in SSB4? Would all FE characters have their new models, or just a select few?

Ike gets redesigned to his Bulky Radiant Dawn look and dons a Tomahawk and Urval in addition to Ragnell. He becomes a heavyweight Powerhouse rather than his current awkward mix.

Roy... well if he got in, his Awakening look is the best way to go.

*cue montage of Fire Emblem discussions*

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and why you might find someone attractive can be for a variety of reasons. Some guys like *** or **** while I'm a legs guy.

@BKupa
They may do like Starfox and give them original designs.
Personally as long as the proportions are good, and they've got a pretty face I'm set. My preference though is on the navel, I love a sexy navel more than anything else.

It really irks me when people desperately want to turn Super Smash Bros. into some sort of waifu dating sim or a Dead or Alive volleyball game.

Nah, people wanna turn BlazBlue into a dating sim since it's already got the females for it, and I'd be ok with such a spinoff. Smash on the other hand... We got what? 3 females? Having more doesn't hurt, it's not an excuse to add needless characters, but imo, if the character is interesting and unique they get bonus points for being female, simply because it adds more diversity.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So let me see, anyone else than LYN is being trollish. It's such a huge fact that she's insignificant that you can't just even accept anyone else in that position.

Was there hate when Lyn was announced being chosen over Hector or Eliwood in FE13 DLC, anyway?
You are putting words in my mouth that liking Lyn is trollish. What is foolish is believing she is significant to the series or that she is more significant than Hector and Eliwood.

In regards, to hate, there was not any in the West (at the time people thought we would eventually get Hector and Eliwood). I know there was a lot of disappointment that we did not get Hector once the DLC lords were finished.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So let me see, anyone else than LYN is being trollish. It's such a huge fact that she's insignificant that you can't just even accept anyone else in that position.
This is why arguments start to hold less weight. Once you become so closeminded to where anyone's preferences are fanboyish is when you yourself become a fanboy. Significance or not, nothing should stop anyone from wanting their favorite characters in a game. Is it a crime?

Personally as long as the proportions are good, and they've got a pretty face I'm set. My preference though is on the navel, I love a sexy navel more than anything else.
Navel? That's the first time I heard that one.

D

Deleted member

Navel? That's the first time I heard that one.
Really? Navel, and Hips are the sexiest aspects of a woman imo, those curves man. Coming from an art standpoint, they're what define a feminine body more than anything else. They're also the most fun parts to draw.

Think about it, a woman can have small breasts and still be sexy, same goes for legs and the like, as long as the proportions are equivalent, she'll be sexy no matter how her legs or breasts are. But if a girl has a 'yucky' navel or odd, or flat hips, that's a deal-breaker.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The problem with females as a whole is that their often not significant enough or are despised by the fans. It's not a case of sexism or anything like some people like to think, it's more along the lines of there being very few choices out there to consider.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This is why arguments start to hold less weight. Once you become so closeminded to where anyone's preferences are fanboyish is when you yourself become a fanboy. Significance or not, nothing should stop anyone from wanting their favorite characters in a game. Is it a crime?
Quoted for truth!

Meowth for SSB4! Tingle for SSB4! Impa for SSB4! Duck Hunt Dog for SSB4! :awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Chrono is just mad cause it's basically only Lyn and Lucina that could take priority over Roy as the 4th Fire Emblem character.

Lyn does have a rather distinct fighting style amongst sword users, though I do say I would prefer Hector. But the fact that Ike might use axes makes up for his loss. Ephraim would be mad as well. But Chrom can also use lances. So that justifies his loss to. Even if he's not that important overall.

Unlike Roy and Lucina, Lyn would not be like Marth. Roy could be a Luigified clone of Marth, and Lucina possibly a full clone even. Moveset-wise, I think it would be best to choose Lyn out of the other two.

Funny, how she has such an Eastern fighting style, but Lyn would definitely get in through Western fan support if she makes it. I think Roy easily has more popularity than him, but Lyn shouldn't still be ruled out.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You are putting words in my mouth that liking Lyn is trollish. What is foolish is believing she is significant to the series or that she is more significant than Hector and Eliwood.

In regards, to hate, there was not any in the West (at the time people thought we would eventually get Hector and Eliwood). I know there was a lot of disappointment that we did not get Hector once the DLC lords were finished.
No, I'm not saying that. I'm just meaning that you seem to exaggarate her definition of being insignificant the series that if mentioning anyone else is lying to oneself. And from your definition, I could just said that FE should have then stayed in Japan because aside from Lyn being a stepping stone to most people in West for FE-games, she's "insignificant". Meanwhile Roy's so important despite most people (aside from more core FE-fans) not having almost any idea what he's like in his games.

Western popularity and even "rewards" for that MUST BE then so undeserved for such an unsignificant character like Lyn. Yeah.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
The problem with females as a whole is that their not significant enough or are despised by the fans. It's not a case of sexism or anything like some people like to think.
right like Palutena would be well received addition to Smash. she is both significant to her series and isnt really hated for any logical reasons.

While a character like Krystal has more hate than love from the Star Fox fans. and someone like Daisy is pretty insignificant to the Mario franchise by comparison to other characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lyn is an Assist Thropy in Brawl and one of the very few actual Fire Emblem throphies. I think she does have a chance for a 4th spot.

D

Deleted member

The problem with females as a whole is that their often not significant enough or are despised by the fans. It's not a case of sexism or anything like some people like to think, it's more along the lines of there being very few choices out there to consider.
I think that depends dude... There are plenty of people like me who have an affinity for female characters in media, and will choose them over other characters if given the chance. Take Egoraptor for example.

Some people prefer side characters over main characters sometimes, as the main characters tend to be the most generic, and I believe that's what adds diversity, also there have been plenty of examples where a side character is a better icon than MC himself.

I do agree that when looking at Nintendo games, especially over in the West, side characters and females take a definite backseat. But as I said, it seems to be a trend. I used to be a MC only kinda a guy till I grew bored of them all being the same, it just needs to catch up over in the West.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Kuma: Well I think still no. Wait, Lyn's an Amazon?
Is a TV Tropes term for when you're attracted to an Action girl specifically because she's an Action Girl. In other words, you like girls that can kick butt.

While a character like Krystal has more hate than love from the Star Fox fans. and someone like Daisy is pretty insignificant to the Mario franchise by comparison to other characters.
At least Krystal can bring something new to the table which is one of the main things for getting in.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Krystal would indeed also be good for a 4th StarFox character, and easily be unique. But I doubt they'll add anorher StarFox character, so I think she won't ever make it. Especially since the last StarFox game was 64. Again...

Palutena would also have a staff yeah. So that also hinders Krystal.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
LMAO at what's going on in this thread right now.

@Lyn: Yeah she's not that important to the story after the initial chapters, but her memorable character is what truly makes her important in the long run. FE7's story was kinda weird anyway. Probably would have been a good character for Smash gameplay wise at one point, but whatever, it's kinda like arguing for Pokemon from past Generations now. Dumb. She's in a pretty good spot as an AT.

@Redesigns: Betting on FE11 Marth, FE6 Roy (is spiffed up like Marth was for Brawl), FE10 Ike. They can each have their family members as easy alternates.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Kuma: Aaah, this wee bit mixed then... I mean I'm huge fan of Samus. (-l´l-);

And I agree with the last statement above. I mean, even if Manly wants Lyn and you might not agree how he sees her chances, this is still all speculation. Nothing is still set on stone despite what all the odds we're seeing against any character. And if anything, Manly hasn't proven to be an annoying fanboy to me. At least I haven't yet seen him ruling out countless characters BECAUSE he sees Lyn as more likely than them...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The new style of gameplay won't matter much if the character in question is pretty loathed.
While this is true, we've seen before that a loathed character will eventually grow on the audience. As I mentioned before, R.O.B. was almost universally loathed when he was revealed. Now? The idea of removing him seems wrong to most people.

A staff isn't gonna be so special if Palutena gets in.
A staff that casts magic only is not the same as a primarily combative staff.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Chrono is just mad cause it's basically only Lyn and Lucina that could take priority over Roy as the 4th Fire Emblem character.

Roy is leagues above Lucina and Lyn, no matter how much you would like to believe otherwise. Pray tell if a character was within the Top 2 most wanted characters in Japan, the Top 10 most wanted characters in the West, and almost made it for Brawl, I bet most people would declare that character a near shoe-in for Smash 4. People don't look at things objectively.

If there is four playable character for Fire Emblem, it would definitely be Marth, Roy, Ike, and Chrom.

Personally, I think Chrom is simply the latest in the "masculine blue-haired sword lord" arche-type (exemplified by Ike, and another example of this include Sigurd) and Lucina is the latest incarnation "feminine blue-haired sword lord" arche-type (exemplified by Marth, and another example of this includes Celice).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If we are talking about Krystal again, personally I want to cut Falco and add Krystal.

And about Fire Emblem characters, I still think that only Marth and Chrom will be included in SSB4 first... and if Sakurai needs a character to include in the game to buff the roster, Ike is the most likely choice... and if Sakurai needs more characters, he will add Roy last.

D

Deleted member

Kuma: Aaah, this wee bit mixed then... I mean I'm huge fan of Samus. (-l´l-);

And I agree with the last statement above. I mean, even if Manly wants Lyn and you might not agree how he sees her chances, this is still all speculation. Nothing is still set on stone despite what all the odds we're seeing against any character. And if anything, Manly hasn't proven to be an annoying fanboy to me. At least I haven't yet seen him ruling out countless characters BECAUSE he sees Lyn as more likely than them...
Well I've also said it before, I'd much rather see someone work on a good PSA for her than see her 'officially' get in, as the reason I want her in es because of her combat style and potential, and seeing Ike's poor iteration puts doubts in me she'd be anything like what I picture her as.

I put her just behind Roy, but keep in mind, I don't think Roy's getting in, if I have a choice though, I'd definitely take her over Roy or Chrom.

On StarFox, if Krystal or Slippy can get rid of Falco, then I'd be fine with either one getting in. I just don't want any more clones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom