• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Correction, gen 1 and gen 2 were not any good. The people that say otherwise should really take off those nostalgia goggles.
How is Gen 2 not good??? For its time it was very innovative for the franchise. Adding breeding, a night and day system and double battling. Not to mention gen 2 is the only game (that I know of) where you travel across 2 regions. It improved upon gen 1 in every way.

I mean the only good innovations the 'new' gens introduced was re-usable TMs and 2v2 grass.
I mean really Triple Battle? Might as well throw your whole party on the feild. Half of them are already there...

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
How is Gen 2 not good??? For its time it was very innovative for the franchise. Adding breeding, a night and day system and double battling. Not to mention gen 2 is the only game (that I know of) where you travel across 2 regions. It improved upon gen 1 in every way.
Double battling wasn't around until gen 3. Though I agree that Gen 2 was the most innovative.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
Also, Pokemon almost had 2 other slots in Brawl (Mewtwo and assuming the other was Plusle & Minun). Even though these characters were cut, you could still say that out of all characters ever considered, they made it the farthest into the earliest stages of development.

D

Deleted member

I mean the only good innovations the 'new' gens introduced was re-usable TMs and 2v2 grass.
I mean really Triple Battle? Might as well throw your whole party on the feild. Half of them are already there...
Someone already said, it was Gen 3 that introduced Double Battles.

Anyway, Gen 3 was the most innovative. Gen 2 was basically a fixed and expanded Gen 1. Gen 3 tipped everything upside down with Passive Abilities, the new EV and IV mechanics, Double Battles, Diving, etc... The only thing missing was day and night, but that was re-introduced in Gen 4, however the clock system still remained and the VS. Seeker and PokeNav as ways to rebattle trainers were great. Not to mention Gen 3 gave us the Battle Frontier, and it introduced Event Pokemon, for better or worse. Gen 3 was the first Generation to have Secret Bases and very good Post-Game stuff with the Sevii Islands, going back to Kanto is overrated imo considering how easy it was.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Someone already said, it was Gen 3 that introduced Double Battles.

Anyway, Gen 3 was the most innovative. Gen 2 was basically a fixed and expanded Gen 1. Gen 3 tipped everything upside down with Passive Abilities, the new EV and IV mechanics, Double Battles, Diving, etc... The only thing missing was day and night, but that was re-introduced in Gen 4, however the clock system still remained and the VS. Seeker and PokeNav as ways to rebattle trainers were great.
Gen 2 also introduced genders, breeding, held items, two new types, and new ways to evolve Pokemon. EDIT: They also introduced the idea of Pokemon having alternate forms.

Not to mention Gen 3 gave us the Battle Frontier, and it introduced Event Pokemon, for better or worse.
Battle Frontier was just an expanded Battle Tower, which was introduced in Gen 2. Also, Gen 2 had an event Pokemon(Celebi, with the GS Ball).

Gen 3 was the first Generation to have Secret Bases and very good Post-Game stuff with the Sevii Islands, going back to Kanto is overrated imo considering how easy it was.
Assuming "postgame" means "post Elite 4", Gen 2's return to Kanto was much more fun for me that Gen 3's Sevii Islands IMO. Escpecially since the Sevii islands borrowed so much stuff from G/S/C and R/S.

D

Deleted member

Gen 2 also introduced genders, breeding, held items, two new types, and new ways to evolve Pokemon.

Battle Frontier was just an expanded Battle Tower, which was introduced in Gen 2. Also, Gen 2 had an event Pokemon(Celebi, with the GS Ball).

Assuming "postgame" means "post Elite 4", Gen 2's return to Kanto was much more fun for me that Gen 3's Sevii Islands IMO. Escpecially since the Sevii islands borrowed so much stuff from G/S/C and R/S.
Well you
r opinion is valid and I respect it.

Personally the new EV/IV mechanics and passive abilities were the most innovative the series has seen, however, those are in need of a rehaul now, just to mix things up a bit.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Personally the physical/special split was probably the most innovative mechanic change since it made a lot of Pokemon more viable.

D

Deleted member

Oh, I totally forgot about that, I took it for granted. That was something I had been hoping the series would get for the longest time, and was glad when we got it by Gen 4.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
To be fair, every generation has it's strengths and weaknesses:

Gen 1, of course, was the first. Without that, none of it exists. Still probably the best bunch as far as character design goes, although as mentioned earlier the actual game mechanics and balance were heavily lacking, especially compared to later generations.

Gen 2, added more Pokemon, was the first to introduce another region (and the ONLY generation to allow for play in two major regions, exempting the remakes), introduced genders as something other than a way to have two different kinds of Nidoran, introduced being able to be a female trainer in Crystal, day-night cycles (although they've changed on-and-off since then), and lots of other little changes.

Gen 3 introduced, as Manlyspirit said, basically the game mechanics as we know today (EVs, breeding, abilities, natures, etc.), as well as the double battles. It also introduced story differences between the two versions, with the third version (Emerald) being sort of a mix, something that also happened in Gen 4. Sadly, this also was roughly the time we started to get "legendary fatigue", and where the legendaries started to become the main thrust of the stories (although this had sort of started in Gen 2, it really kicked off in this one).

Gen 4's main series introduced the semi-3D overworld graphics (yet still very simple by most any other standard but Pokemon), the Wi-Fi stuff, brought Legendary fatigue to dangerous levels and... uhh..... oh. Right. The physical/special being determined by the move, not the type.

Gen 5 has introduced triple and rotation battles, TMs being endless use, put the Pokemarts into the Pokecenter, let you use repels consecutively without having to pause the game (well, in BW2), did a lot of other little interface changes and had probably the best story in Pokemon's history (which is, admittedly, not saying much). Oh, and it put an emphasis on new Pokemon, which was nice, since it made it at least look rather new. Oh, and it doesn't quite suffer as much from Legendary fatigue as IV.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hmm... let's get back to Smash-related topics... so it seems we get one popular Pokemon character and one unexpected Pokemon character in each game... and one of them is from the 1st gen and the other one is from the latest gen. MAYBE this trend might continue in SSB4 with one brand-new, never-before-playable-in-Smash 1st gen Pokemon (I don't think Mewtwo counts as new) and one 5th (or 6th) gen Pokemon... and one of them will be someone popular and the other one is someone we didn't really expect to get in SSB4 ever.

SSB64
Pikachu - popular (1st gen)
Jigglypuff - unexpected (1st gen, latest gen)

Melee
Mewtwo - popular (1st gen)
Pichu - unexpected (2nd gen, latest gen)

Brawl
Pokemon Trainer Red - unexpected (1st gen)
Lucario - popular (4th gen, latest gen)

SSB4
Popular - 1st gen OR latest gen
Unexpected - latest gen OR 1st gen

Maybe I should factor in remakes as it was FireRed/LeafGreen that made Pokemon Trainer Red relevant during the GBA period just when Sakurai was starting to work on SSB3 (Brawl). So, perhaps HeartGold/SoulSilver and a possible 3rd gen remakes might make 2nd gen and 3rd gen characters relevant during the DS (2nd gen) and 3DS (3rd gen) periods while Sakurai is currently working on SSB4. And this might throw a monkey wrench in the pattern I just outlined above.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Generation 2 and 3 would probably be my favorites. Next would come 1, then 4. Never played 5.

D

Deleted member

And you guys said there couldn't be any interesting Smash Bros discussion on /v/...

http://boards.4chan.org/v/res/170132219

Not a single WAAluigi in sight, and most discussion is reasonable barring some idiots.

A lot of people feel Falco should be cut (I personally agree). So, what are reasons for not cutting Falco outside of his "popularity?"

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Pokemon have 4 to 6 playable reps, depending if you want to break up PT) I think about 31 pokeball reps, 3 stages (2 of which includes even more pokemon representation in the background) and a Boss. I'm sorry that still doesn't add up to be more.

Now I confused... :c
Before you were saying Sakurai will add 6 slots for pokemon if he "has too", and now it turns out you've been saying/typing what I have been saying/typing this whole time!?

I could of sworn a couple posts back you said something along the lines that there is a fewer amount of high priority characters and pokemon could of easily be given 2 more playable reps. Or something like that.

Maybe I've up for too long your blowing my mind bruh :sadeyes:
I am not contradicting anything I am saying, I am saying PERSONALLY I would be fine with just Mewtwo being added and keeping the Pokemon from Brawl, and that personally for myself a 6th-gen Pokemon is unnecessary.

However, I said if Sakurai deems Mewtwo (who is already high priority) and a 6th-gen Pokemon high priority, they will both get in due to how few characters that are left that are high priority to be placed in. I mean among veteran franchises there is only Ridley and K. Rool that there is a very high demand for. Palutena (the obligatory female newcomer) and Takamaru (the obligatory retro revival) will likely get in as well, as so will Mega Man. That is only five characters aside from Mewtwo. C-listers like Little Mac, Isaac, and Shulk would be nice, but they are not seen as very necessary additions (with the possible exception of Little Mac). Since there is only a handful of high priority additions, adding in two Pokemon characters from Brawl would be feasible for Sakurai even with a low number of new characters being added.

You may personally have a beef with Pokemon getting six characters, but I am sure most people would not. Most people don't want to see any Pokemon from Brawl be cut, and most want to see Mewtwo be brought back. The only thing the jury is still out on is a true Pokemon newcomer, of which its still very divided.

As others have previously, mentioned 5th-gen never really had a successful face to it. The closest thing to it was Zoroark, and as you saw, there was a lot of animosity towards the idea of including him. Its quite possible that the new 6th-gen Pokemon that gets unveiled (IF a 6th-gen Pokemon is unveiled for Tuesday) could turn out to be a Pokemon that would not translate well to Smash Bros., or ends up only as being received as well as Zoroark or perhaps even worse.

We will have to wait and see, but even if the 6th-gen Pokemon ends up being popularly received, Sakurai would have no qualm with giving Pokemon six slots, because each of those slots earned their place within Smash Bros. on the premise of the merits of the characters themselves, not on the basis of a "points systems" in regards to whether each series could only have so many. If Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, and Lucario do not merit being cut, if Mewtwo does merit being brought, and if the upcoming 6th-gen Pokemon ends up being extremely well-received, why should Sakurai not put in six slots for the series aside from "waaah it should have more slots than other series."

Technically, a series like Mario should have far more reps than most other series as well, but the problem is that outside the core four (Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, and maybe Yoshi), many people find the auxilary characters within the main series (Toad and Bowser Jr.) to be unnecessary or boring, while spinoff only characters like Waluigi unnecessary or undeserving.

Some series just don't have room for as much new characters as other series even if saw a massive increase in popularity (see Metroid, were at best you could probably only add Dark Samus after Ridley).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And you guys said there couldn't be any interesting Smash Bros discussion on /v/...

Not a single WAAluigi in sight, and most discussion is reasonable barring some idiots.

A lot of people feel Falco should be cut (I personally agree). So, what are reasons for not cutting Falco outside of his "popularity?"
Personally I agree that Falco should be cut. The only reason why Sakurai added Falco over Wolf in Melee as a last-minute clone was because he is a bird and he would look different from a fox (his reasoning being that Wolf would just look like a gray-colored Fox).

And the common reasons for not cutting Falco is 1) if Falco were cut, there would be a backlash and 2) Falco is Fox's second-in-command and 3) Falco has already been in two Smash games now, why cut him out NOW? and 4) Krystal sucks and 5) Sakurai could declone Falco in the next game.

But at this point, I just don't care about Star Fox anymore. I'd rather they simply keep it at two or three slots. I don't care who is playable. They could cut Fox and put in his and Krystal's yiff pup love child Marcus from Command instead for all I care.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I like how people here can link to stuff that has personal insults thrown at users here, very harsh language, and racial slurs and the mods do nothing about it. I wonder if I started dropping hate speech, personal insults, and harsh language here how fast I would be handed a ban.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588

The fact that he's not fox is reason enough. He's important enough to his own series so the clone argument isn't really a reason to cut this character. If that's the case then we should cut ganon as well. Not to mention he's becoming less and less like fox in moveset.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I like how people here can link to stuff that has personal insults thrown at users here, very harsh language, and racial slurs and the mods do nothing about it. I wonder if I started dropping hate speech, personal insults, and harsh language here how fast I would be handed a ban.
Well I can definitely see why you want to leave the Smash scene now. Let's just hope that SWF doesn't reach the same level as some of these other sites come the time when the game is unveiled.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
As others have previously, mentioned 5th-gen never really had a successful face to it. The closest thing to it was Zoroark, and as you saw, there was a lot of animosity towards the idea of including him. Its quite possible that the new 6th-gen Pokemon that gets unveiled (IF a 6th-gen Pokemon is unveiled for Tuesday) could turn out to be a Pokemon that would not translate well to Smash Bros., or ends up only as being received as well as Zoroark or perhaps even worse.
This is what I've been saying, but people are still striving for a new face regardless. I warn them about the new Pokemon might not be popular or it might not be appropriate, but they disregard it completely and simply say it's going to happen because "it's new". A character should have merits, not be advertisement fodder.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The stupidity flowing from there is disheartening. Oh, wait, it's 4chan? Well, that makes a bit more sense...

D

Deleted member

Personally I agree that Falco should be cut. The only reason why Sakurai added Falco over Wolf in Melee as a last-minute clone was because he is a bird and he would look different from a fox (his reasoning being that Wolf would just look like a gray-colored Fox).

And the common reasons for not cutting Falco is 1) if Falco were cut, there would be a backlash and 2) Falco is Fox's second-in-command and 3) Falco has already been in two Smash games now, why cut him out NOW? and 4) Krystal sucks and 5) Sakurai could declone Falco in the next game.

But at this point, I just don't care about Star Fox anymore. I'd rather they simply keep it at two or three slots. I don't care who is playable. They could cut Fox and put in his and Krystal's yiff pup love child Marcus from Command instead for all I care.
I agree, two Starfox reps is enough at the time being. Second in command or not though, Falco really isn't THAT interesting of a character. Slippy being Fox's childhood friend is more interesting as a sidekick. Falco's just the edgy tough guy of the group.

Still, Fox and Wolf as the Main Character and Rival are enough I feel. Not to mention they both bring very diverse play-styles to the table.

I would like a roster with the fewest amount of clones possible personally (0), and no redundant characters.

No Lucas, just give his moves to Ness. No Toon Link, one Link is fine and he needs to be worked on. No Falco, Fox and Wolf are fine.

The fact that he's not fox is reason enough. He's important enough to his own series so the clone argument isn't really a reason to cut this character. If that's the case then we should cut ganon as well. Not to mention he's becoming less and less like fox in moveset.
Difference with Ganon is that he's more important to the Zelda series than Falco is to StarFox. Ganondorf is part of the Triforce Trio and the embodiment of evil. Plus he has much more moveset potential than Falco, we already have many Mix-Up characters in Smash, Wolf being one of them, and having the benefit of also being NotFox, even moreso than Falco.

There's also the argument that Zelda is more important than SF and that SF is over-represented in Smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This is what I've been saying, but people are still striving for a new face regardless. I warn them about the new Pokemon might not be popular or it might not be appropriate, but they disregard it completely and simply say it's going to happen because "it's new". A character should have merits, not be advertisement fodder.
I think it's less about people wanting new characters because they are "new"... and more about people wanting new characters because they offer "new" gameplay experiences.

we've gone over Micaiah, and Travis a lot so i wont even touch on those 2.

Girahim is a one shot character. while popular and relevant now, by the time Smash 4 comes he will be old news and his importance to the overall series is miniscule at best. just think of characters like Vaati or Midna pre brawl. they had relatively the same amount of popularity as Ghirahim has now but in the end were not implemented in any form into Brawl. this can be attributed to the fact that overall they just arent that important.

you just gotta ask yourself, "How important is Ghirahim to the LoZ franchise and does he accurately represent the series?" in the grand scheme of things, not really. he's a one shot villain who wasnt even the main villain in the end.
Well Micaiah is one of the top choices I see for Fire Emblem, Top 5 for sure.

Travis Touchdown is a popular 3rd party on the Wii and his games will go down as cult classics. Suda supports Nintendo quite a bit, the series will continue onto the Wii U, and he said he would like Travis in. It would be major exposure.

Ghirahim was important to Skyward Sword, and that is what will mainly affect the SSB4 Zelda roster. It doesn't matter if he was the last villain or not, he was there for 4/5 of the game.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think it's less about people wanting new characters because they are "new"... and more about people wanting new characters because they offer "new" gameplay experiences.
So if that's the case, then why are people expecting a Gen 6 Pokemon to be included despite the fact we know literally zilch about it? Also if that's the case, then why are people so hesitant with Chrom? Surely a new face like Chrom would offer new gameplay experiences going by your logic.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Travis Touchdown is a popular 3rd party on the Wii and his games will go down as cult classics. Suda supports Nintendo quite a bit, the series will continue onto the Wii U, and he said he would like Travis in. It would be major exposure.

Ghirahim was important to Skyward Sword, and that is what will mainly affect the SSB4 Zelda roster. It doesn't matter if he was the last villain or not, he was there for 4/5 of the game.
Regarding Micaiah, being in the Top 5 choices for ONE SERIES isn't really notable at all, especially when Roy and Chrom are leagues beyond her in terms of popularity and requests. There's really no reason to think she'll be added.

Travis, additionally, lacks the support. Third parties have a high bar to get passed, unless of course it's Snake, but he got in under circumstances that Travis cannot replicate. Sonic, based on Brawl data, barely squeaked by, and even caused game delays. Yet, he was the most requested character by far. The only 3rd Party with even close to that kind of support is Mega Man, and even he is far below what Sonic was. Honestly, expecting anyone beyond Sonic, Snake, Mega Man, or a Namco character (notably Pac Man) is asking for disappointment, especially for Travis. He has the deck stacked against him.

D

Deleted member

So if that's the case, then why are people expecting a Gen 6 Pokemon to be included despite the fact we know literally zilch about it? Also if that's the case, then why are people so hesitant with Chrom? Surely a new face like Chrom would offer new gameplay experiences going by your logic.
I think it has to do with how different the Pokemon and Fire Emblem fanbases are.

Fire Emblem fans tend to stick to their favorite lords throughout all of the games. Even in newer installments, they'll still usually have one of their preferred lords from older games as their favorite, even if they can't play as them.

Example:
Ike, Roy, Hector, Lyn, Michaia and Ephriam all have large devout fanbases despite having appeared many years ago.

Pokemon fans on the other hand are much more adopting and revel at the thought of new mons, and it's in part due to the Pokemon Marketing "gotta catch 'em all." They tend to jump bandwagon on new mons just because they're new and different.

Also, the fact that FE 13 allowed old lords to come back as DLC certainly cemented their hype.

Anyway, in regard to Pokemon, I think the Gen 6 Pokemon is expected, not necessarily wanted, just my two cents.

Regarding Micaiah, being in the Top 5 choices for ONE SERIES isn't really notable at all, especially when Roy and Chrom are leagues beyond her in terms of popularity and requests. There's really no reason to think she'll be added.

Travis, additionally, lacks the support. Third parties have a high bar to get passed, unless of course it's Snake, but he got in under circumstances that Travis cannot replicate. Sonic, based on Brawl data, barely squeaked by, and even caused game delays. Yet, he was the most requested character by far. The only 3rd Party with even close to that kind of support is Mega Man, and even he is far below what Sonic was. Honestly, expecting anyone beyond Sonic, Snake, Mega Man, or a Namco character (notably Pac Man) is asking for disappointment, especially for Travis. He has the deck stacked against him.
Well Micaiah has the relevancy and popularity going for her. She is beneath Chrom, sure, but she is right there with Lucina and Lyn. Top 5. It is not like she doesn't make sense.

Travis is in that "same category" as Snake. Kojima is friends with Sakurai. Guess who else is friends with Sakurai? Suda. On top of that Travis is one of the biggest NEW 3rd party characters.

He may have the "deck stacked against him" in terms of some other 3rd party choices but that doesn't count him out. Especially since he is one of the more important new 3rd party characters of the last generation for Nintendo.

D

Deleted member

Well Micaiah has the relevancy and popularity going for her. She is beneath Chrom, sure, but she is right there with Lucina and Lyn. Top 5. It is not like she doesn't make sense.
Top 5...
Ike>Chrom>Lucina>Lyn>Michaia?

I love how to totally forgot about Roy-kun. Gahahahaha. Nice one.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Travis is in that "same category" as Snake. Kojima is friends with Sakurai. Guess who else is friends with Sakurai? Suda. On top of that Travis is one of the biggest NEW 3rd party characters.

He may have the "deck stacked against him" in terms of some other 3rd party choices but that doesn't count him out. Especially since he is one of the more important new 3rd party characters of the last generation for Nintendo.
I'm going to need a source saying that Suda is friends with Sakurai...

Also, it's funny how you neglect to mention Roy. She's still extremely far below Roy and Chrom, so the chances of her being picked over them is...well, not happening.

Top 5...
Ike>Chrom>Lucina>Lyn>Michaia?

I love how to totally forgot about Roy. Gahahahaha. Nice one.
Chrom>Lucina>Micaiah>Lyn>Red Haired Marth Clone

Chrom is the big male choice.

Lucina would be the big female choice if she was not a female Marth clone

Micaiah is female, recent, and different class

Lyn is only relevant becuase of being DLC but she make more sense than the R GUY

The clone is only "relevant" because of DLC and his obsessed fanbase

Sincerely,

A Melee Roy Fan :mistyface:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Roy always had more popularity from Super smash Bros. then Fire Emblem. It kind helps that he literally debuted in Super Smash Bros. Melee and is not that terrible in general, at least when compared to his appearance in Sword of Seals.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion

Actuallyhe creator of no more heroes has stated that if he makes another one it won't have Travis and that it would b on mobile phones.

And again on ghirahim, by your logic twilight princess should've effected brawls roster and included midna. Which it didn't. Look at the series as a whole and not just the latest thing

:phone:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I am not contradicting anything I am saying, I am saying PERSONALLY I would be fine with just Mewtwo being added and keeping the Pokemon from Brawl, and that personally for myself a 6th-gen Pokemon is unnecessary.

However, I said if Sakurai deems Mewtwo (who is already high priority) and a 6th-gen Pokemon high priority, they will both get in due to how few characters that are left that are high priority to be placed in. I mean among veteran franchises there is only Ridley and K. Rool that there is a very high demand for. Palutena (the obligatory female newcomer) and Takamaru (the obligatory retro revival) will likely get in as well, as so will Mega Man. That is only five characters aside from Mewtwo. C-listers like Little Mac, Isaac, and Shulk would be nice, but they are not seen as very necessary additions (with the possible exception of Little Mac). Since there is only a handful of high priority additions, adding in two Pokemon characters from Brawl would be feasible for Sakurai even with a low number of new characters being added.

You may personally have a beef with Pokemon getting six characters, but I am sure most people would not. Most people don't want to see any Pokemon from Brawl be cut, and most want to see Mewtwo be brought back. The only thing the jury is still out on is a true Pokemon newcomer, of which its still very divided.

We will have to wait and see, but even if the 6th-gen Pokemon ends up being popularly received, Sakurai would have no qualm with giving Pokemon six slots, because each of those slots earned their place within Smash Bros. on the premise of the merits of the characters themselves, not on the basis of a "points systems" in regards to whether each series could only have so many. If Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, and Lucario do not merit being cut, if Mewtwo does merit being brought, and if the upcoming 6th-gen Pokemon ends up being extremely well-received, why should Sakurai not put in six slots for the series aside from "waaah it should have more slots than other series."

Technically, a series like Mario should have far more reps than most other series as well, but the problem is that outside the core four (Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, and maybe Yoshi), many people find the auxilary characters within the main series (Toad and Bowser Jr.) to be unnecessary or boring, while spinoff only characters like Waluigi unnecessary or undeserving.

Some series just don't have room for as much new characters as other series even if saw a massive increase in popularity (see Metroid, were at best you could probably only add Dark Samus after Ridley).
I just think no franchise should be given special treatment based on popularity. I prefer getting 2 lesser known franchises reps than getting more reps for franchies that we already have well represented. Like I said smash is first and foremost a nintendo all-star fighting game. I just prefer to have a wider variety of nintendo franchises represented, than being over saturated with 10 to 12 Mario/pokemon/zelda reps.

Think about it: if the typical fan had their way half the roster would be filled with mario and pokemon characters. We would of never been re-introduced to Pit and IC and other lesser known series. Look at the popularity pit gained from smash; It got him a new installment. what good will adding more pokemon reps do? As if there isn't a new game that will already give them recognition

"Some series just don't have room for as much new characters as others..."

True, but I rather see smaller series get the representation they deserve before increasing the already popular ones. That's how I see it. Popularity should have nothing to do with it. All franchises should be in some way represented from popular to obscure.

D

Deleted member

Chrom>Lucina>Micaiah>Lyn>Red Haired Marth Clone

Chrom is the big male choice.

Lucina would be the big female choice if she was not a female Marth clone

Micaiah is female, recent, and different class

Lyn is only relevant becuase of being DLC but she make more sense than the R GUY

The clone is only "relevant" because of DLC and his obsessed fanbase

Sincerely,

A Melee Roy Fan :mistyface:
Hahaha, I like you. I can do without "Teh Fyre" as well.

EDIT:
Anyway, he may be wrong on his picks and opinions, but Jesus guys. No need to be so uptight about things. Let the guy stick with what he thinks is right or wrong, no need to get all upset and tell him why he's objectively wrong, it's all just speculation after all...

And don't forget:

Actuallyhe creator of no more heroes has stated that if he makes another one it won't have Travis and that it would b on mobile phones.

And again on ghirahim, by your logic twilight princess should've effected brawls roster and included midna. Which it didn't. Look at the series as a whole and not just the latest thing

He has said he ould like to see Travis in, regardless if he is not in the next game. And No More Heroes 3 was confirmed for Wii U.

Twilight Princess did affect the Zelda roster. Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf were all their Twilight Princess versions. Ganondorf was the main villain of that game, so we did not need a Zant. And Toon Link was there to rep the likes of Wind Waker and Minish Cap. So they had their 4 spots.

Ganondorf is not the main villain of Skyward Sword though. Skyward Sword will influence the roster since it was the definitive Wii Zelda game and will be the recent console one by then (the new one won't be out by then and if it does get out, it would be too late since Sakurai is picking characters NOW). Skyward Sword Link and Zelda will need a villain. Ganondorf was there for that in Twilight Princess, he is not for Skyward Sword. Having those versions of them facing OoT3D or TP Ganondorf is weird. They need their own villain.

The "latest things" are usually what influences most of the choices, especially the look of each character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just get right to the point and don't beat around the bush/tell people things to their faces that I wouldn't say behind their backs. Shouldn't we all?

@Sniper. Saying that Micaiah has more of a chance than Roy due to completely biased opinions isn't really helping your case. Roy is, at the moment, the second most requested character in Japan after Mewtwo, and is definitely in the Top 10 for the West as well. That puts Micaiah to shame.

Still waiting on the Suda is friends with Sakurai source...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom