• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
THERE ISN'T AN ISSUEcaps.
Hence the quotation marks. It's just a thing to lure detractors on to the correct line of thought, or something.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You'd still be giving them... credence? You're saying there is an issue, and that this is the way to fix it, when really there isn't an issue. Again, like Ridley's size. Unless you want to define every design decision as an issue. Like, Ridley would be resized anyhow, like every character, not because there was some greater issue specifically for him.

Just call them dumb next time. Saves time.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I remember he even brought up Fire Emblem in his response as something that would be appealing to everyone, even an international audience. Sukapon... maybe he's just "too Japanese."
The only reason the Starfy series was never brought to America sooner is because Nintendo deemed it "too Japanese" for international tastes. Sometimes their localization philosophies' perplex me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You'd still be giving them... credence? You're saying there is an issue, and that this is the way to fix it, when really there isn't an issue. Again, like Ridley's size. Unless you want to define every design decision as an issue. Like, Ridley would be resized anyhow, like every character, not because there was some greater issue specifically for him.

Just call them dumb next time. Saves time.
They're dumb.

yani

Smash Lord
Probably Psycho because he kept repeating it after I repeatedly tried to tell him to stop repeating it. I'm guessing it was just a theory thrown around in the Brawl days by people that didn't know any better. Then people just picked it up because it's convincing if you don't think about it.

Like how "Ridley's too big" got so popular.
Ahh that must be it. I recall Sukapon and Rayman being "shut down" for that same reason. I'm glad I know the truth now :cool:

It would be great if Sakurai used his own reasoning as a scapegoat to revive him. Sukapon is easily the best retro/omgwtfbbq character you could put in Smash.

So far gut feeling for retros are Takamaru/Muddy..but I have this tingling sensation for Sukapon now...

Sukapon..Heropon.. it all makes sense now.

Rif-Raf

Smash Rookie
Refering to my roster post (Which I'm glad people comented on http://www.smashboards.com/images/smilies/smile.gif ) I've considered alot of the character ideas and suggestions, but I just see some problems with them:

I didn't hear much dispute over Kamek...good haha

I suppose I could scrap Demise, he'd be too close to Ganondorf and the big guy could always reappear. Maybe an alternate color scheme or something, we'll see.

Why not? The character would be different and cool, plus Toon Zelda has been around enough, like 2009 was her last game inclusion, the Phantom armor-guys have been around for like 2 or three games too.

Yes. Nuff said.

So far we're good on Little Mac.

Please? Krystal would be the only UNIQUE character from Starfox. And it's not a gender thing, I just think she's a better choice than Slippy or Pepper.

Mhm, no dissagreement.

So look, Gen1 is my fav too, but there's been enough: Pikachu, Mewtwo, Red, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Jigglypuff. I think we're okay for Gen1. Plus Gen2 had Pichu and Gen4 had Lucario, so why not this idea?

Gen3 isn't dead, it's a middle series, but not dead and neither is Deoxys. Everything about it says SSB to me. Mewtwo is still awesome and Lucario is killer too, but the chances of them coming back are slim, times r' chang'n.

Granted she isn't famous, but Sacred Stones was the first GB Fire Embem, just sayin. Now Marth is too cool to quit, and Ike and Roy are cool too, but I see a pattern to Fire Emblem characters in SSB, Marth stays and gets a NEW friend to join him. I know she only has two game inclusions, but so did Ike and Roy had one, so isn't it fair? Lyn, I'm saying no.

Medusa and Palutena are gods people, GODS. Overpowered. The only reason Pit could beat them (main story wise) is cuz he had the Treasures fighting Medusa and fought the Choas Kin against Palutena. Thanatos is a lesser-god and can beat without magic armor.

A two formed psychic and a main character of Mother 3 replacing Lucas, why not? Don't act like your not curious.

Aww yea.

His F-Zero bio reads mercenary, he kills for a living. Black Bull is another C. Falcon/Ganondorf copy and Samurai Goroh? Ehhh.

Thats a tall, hairy yes.

Thats a short, metal yes.

We all know they're coming...

Questions? Concerns? Go ahead.
Also I'm having a debate with myself: Keep Sonic ad Snake or include other 3rd party like Slime or Pac-Man or other Namco Bandai character?
And one tiny newb question, how do I get pics onto my posts, all I've done is put links :/

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Ditch Snake, keep Sonic, add Megaman and Slime. Although if you're going to talk about the latter be prepared for the inevitable rain of fire.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Also, as a quick tip, put
at the end to have them show up more easily. Anyway, if you're looking for a Fire Emblem character other than Eirika, why not Zoidberg Krom?

Rif-Raf

Smash Rookie
But Krom's too new. I know he's important and stuff but he's only in one game and still not in US, yet.
BTW thx for the tip.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
But Krom's too new. I know he's important and stuff but he's only in one game and still not in US, yet.
Roy was in Melee, even though his game was released after Melee's release. His game appearances have been Japan-only since then.

Rif-Raf

Smash Rookie
Thats part of the reason I think he wasn't in SSBB and wont be in SSB4. Brawl set a rule, if you haven't seen it in a international game, you won't be playing as it. I figure all character in SSB4 will be known by Japan and everywhere else, thats my explanation.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Thats part of the reason I think he wasn't in SSBB and wont be in SSB4. Brawl set a rule, if you haven't seen it in a international game, you won't be playing as it. I figure all character in SSB4 will be known by Japan and everywhere else, thats my explanation.
That's a pretty arbitrary rule to decide, considering Lucas was in Brawl and he never had a western release (also Marth didn't have one yet either, unless you count Melee, in which case Roy would also count). Plus Claus is on your roster, which would break your rule.

Refering to my roster post (Which I'm glad people comented on http://www.smashboards.com/images/smilies/smile.gif ) I've considered alot of the character ideas and suggestions, but I just see some problems with them:

[COLLAPSE="Kamek"]
[/COLLAPSE]
I didn't hear much dispute over Kamek...good haha
Kamek has an outside shot, but isn't nearly as requested as Bowser Jr, Toad, Waluigi, Paper Mario, K. Rool, or Dixie (and Sakurai counts Mario, DK, Yoshi, and Wario as a whole), I wouldn't say his chances are good. The only reason I didn't comment on him last time was because he was still technically more likely than some of your other choices.

[COLLAPSE="Demise"]
[/COLLAPSE]
I suppose I could scrap Demise, he'd be too close to Ganondorf and the big guy could always reappear. Maybe an alternate color scheme or something, we'll see.

The big guy will reappear. Trust me. I guess your Demise-themed color scheme idea would work. Not as an alternate costume though.

[COLLAPSE="B&W Trainer"]
[/COLLAPSE]
So look, Gen1 is my fav too, but there's been enough: Pikachu, Mewtwo, Red, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Jigglypuff. I think we're okay for Gen1. Plus Gen2 had Pichu and Gen4 had Lucario, so why not this idea?
It's not like they'd be adding any more gen 1 Pokemon. Plus, they are the most popular starters, and aren't likely to be replaced even if you think gen 1 is overrepresented. Gen 1 is the most recognizable and popular gen overall, with Pikachu, Mewtwo, the three starter evolution lines, and Jigglypuff (in Japan) being the most popular Pokemon from it, so their inclusion is all warranted. By your logic, Pokemon trainer should've had 4th gen starters in Brawl instead of Lucario getting in. And it's not that I don't want the fifth gen represented, it's just that it's almost definitely going to be by a single Pokemon, not a trainer.

[COLLAPSE="Deoxys"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Gen3 isn't dead, it's a middle series, but not dead and neither is Deoxys. Everything about it says SSB to me. Mewtwo is still awesome and Lucario is killer too, but the chances of them coming back are slim, times r' chang'n.
Gen 3 isn't dead, you're right, but it's no longer the generation that Sakurai and Game Freak will want to represent in Smash. Nothing against Deoxys, but the chances of Mewtwo and Lucario coming back are much higher than him being included. And there has been no precedent to use Pokemon not from the most current gen in Smash (other than Gen 1, which is obviously different), and there are several current 5th gen Pokemon that currently out-popularize and have more demand than Deoxys, such as Zoroark. Plus if Brawl is anything to go by, Game Freak will want a rep from the 5th gen (or whatever the most recent gen is by SSB4's release) who probably won't be a trainer, which will overshadow any likely chance of a 3rd gen being added. Especially since Sakurai will probably try to re-add Mewtwo and keep Lucario as well.

[COLLAPSE="Eirika"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Granted she isn't famous, but Sacred Stones was the first GB Fire Embem, just sayin. Now Marth is too cool to quit, and Ike and Roy are cool too, but I see a pattern to Fire Emblem characters in SSB, Marth stays and gets a NEW friend to join him. I know she only has two game inclusions, but so did Ike and Roy had one, so isn't it fair? Lyn, I'm saying no.
First of all, the Sacred Stones wasn't as well received as most other Fire Emblems, and Eirika and Ephraim aren't especially popular. Second of all, the pattern you've observed seems to be correct so far, but you've interpreted incorrectly. Marth is joined by a rep from the NEWEST Fire Emblem game, which in this case would be Krom. However things might be different this time around, since Ike and Roy have also gained some serious popularity. In any case, Eirika really doesn't hold up to any of them (she is also out-popularized and out-requested by Lyn and Micaiah). And since when did she have two game inclusions, unless you are counting Awakening, in which case you should also count two for Roy and three for Ike.

[COLLAPSE="Thanatos"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Medusa and Palutena are gods people, GODS. Overpowered. The only reason Pit could beat them (main story wise) is cuz he had the Treasures fighting Medusa and fought the Choas Kin against Palutena. Thanatos is a lesser-god and can beat without magic armor.
Smash obviously doesn't use canon power. They do use popularity, which Palutena and Medusa have in spades over Thanatos. You can keep thinking he's likely, but truthfully Magnus and Hades would get in over him.

[COLLAPSE="Claus"]
[/COLLAPSE]
A two formed psychic and a main character of Mother 3 replacing Lucas, why not? Don't act like your not curious.
Because main characters don't get replaced by supporting ones. There's a much greater chance of him being added as a 3rd Mother character, and even that's a pretty small chance for SSB4.

[COLLAPSE="Tom Nook"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Aww yea.
He's cool and I like him and everything, and he would be great in Smash IMO, but Sakurai pretty much said that there wouldn't be a playable AC character, so don't get your hopes up.

[COLLAPSE="Pico"]
[/COLLAPSE]
His F-Zero bio reads mercenary, he kills for a living. Black Bull is another C. Falcon/Ganondorf copy and Samurai Goroh? Ehhh.
I think you underestimate how much popularity and relevance to the overall series matter in roster decisions. Just because he kills for a living doesn't mean the other two don't know how to fight. Plus once again, Goroh and Black Shadow are much more requested, likely, and popular, which plays a much larger impact than being able to fight (which most characters can do), looking cool, and being one of your favorite characters.

Also I'm having a debate with myself: Keep Sonic ad Snake or include other 3rd party like Slime or Pac-Man or other Namco Bandai character?
People here don't seem to agree, but I would keep both Sonic and Snake over adding another 3rd party (since you already have Megaman). However Namco has a good shot at getting some representation with Smash 4.

Rif-Raf

Smash Rookie
Well you give me a lot to think about, I'll give you that. I try not to make many changes to my SSB4 wish list, theres alot I could try to defend, but I'm not an agro guy. So change wise: Ganondorf stays, Sonic and Snake stay, everything else is good. After all, I'm sure they'll be more SSB games in the future to grant my wish. Thank you for your opinion N3ON.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well you give me a lot to think about, I'll give you that. I try not to make many changes to my SSB4 wish list, theres alot I could try to defend, but I'm not an agro guy. So change wise: Ganondorf stays, Sonic and Snake stay, everything else is good. After all, I'm sure they'll be more SSB games in the future to grant my wish. Thank you for your opinion N3ON.
No problem, glad to have helped even a little. ^_^

I didn't know it was a wishlist though, otherwise I probably wouldn't have debated it. I have alot of less-than-likely characters on my wishlist too. There's not much point over arguing over someone's personal opinion of and affinity to a character, lol. Sometimes it's hard to tell between a roster prediction and a roster wishlist. :embarrass:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
NOTE: Some of the characters (i.e. Ridley) are actually supposed to be unlockable characters. I am going to fix that later today.

I updated my roster.

The first roster is a Realistic Prediction roster so I left the number of characters low. The second roster is a Prediction/Wishlist roster with characters I think can make it and characters I personally want to see in Smash 4.

Realistic Roster

Newcomers: Bowser Jr., King K. Rool, Takamaru, Ridley, Little Mac, Shulk, Palutena, Samurai Goroh, Mewtwo, Krom, Saki, Mii, Mega Man, Pac Man

Number of Newcomers: 14

Cuts: Snake
Reason: Snake, in my opinion, should be a Brawl only character. I don't think we will return (any guest character is not exactly guaranteed IMO)

Number of Characters: 49 (53 with transformations)

Wishlist/Prediction Roster

Newcomers: Bowser Jr., Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Andy, Toon Zelda/Tetra, Dark Samus, Ridley, Prince Sable, Zoroark, Krom, Palutena, Black Shadow, Saki, Shulk, Isaac, Little Mac, Mii, Mega Man, Chrono, Kos Mos

Number of Newcomers: 20 (21 with transformations)

Cuts: Lucario, Snake
Reasons: I cut Lucario to make room for Zoroark. I know that is a fairly controversial decision but Zoroark is newer than Lucario and represents the 5th generation.

Number of Characters: 54 (59 with transformations)

D

Deleted member

With the exception of maybe Pac-Man, I could legitimately see all of your prediction choices happen. There are some that I feel are questionable in odds, but still could see them. Definitely one of those rosters I feel could be somewhat close to the real deal.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I've been wrong. Series does matter to Sakurai. To a degree anyways.

NP: How did you go about choosing which characters to include in the final roster? Were there any characters that you could have included, but weren't able to for what-ever reason?

MS: Of course there were some characters we couldn't include, but we've decided that we're just not going to talk about them. [Laughs] As far as choosing which characters, we had to really look at the series that would be represented in the game and create a balance that would make fans of all the series happy. We didn't want to have all Mario characters, all Pokémon characters... We looked at each series and tried to pick the characters that would have the widest appeal to the largest fan base. And of course, we looked at games like Animal Crossing and Nintendogs, where there aren't really any characters that lend themselves to fighting, and we decided not to include characters from those series as fighting characters. One thing that is kind of a challenge is that we haven't had a lot of new characters from Nintendo since Captain Olimar [that could work well in a fighting game]; a lot of games have been Mario titles or new iterations in existing series.

D

Deleted member

I've been wrong. Series does matter to Sakurai. To a degree anyways.
I think people are going to mis-construct this as "over-representation" to mean that Sakurai wants to stop at a certain point so that it's in line with how "big" a series is. Rather, I consider his fear of "over-representation" to be that of not wanting to add unworthy characters to the roster. In short, more qualitative than quantitative.

I still feel as we will get at least two more Mario characters (counting Mario, DK, and Wario in this since Sakurai does as well) and one more Pokemon character (with two being a realistic option, thought I feel as if there is only one more Pokemon, they'll keep Brawl's roster and add Mewtwo). Kid Icarus I also expect to see Palutena out of.
Waluigi said:
I'm mainly advocating impa as a replacement for sheik so zelda can be her own individual character. by the way but i would be more than happy with the zelda reps staying the same as brawl perhaps cutting toon link but the same overall. I just don't see the point we have the 3 that are absolutely OMG need to be in.
Except that why would Sakurai consider cutting Sheik for Impa and a Chibi Link altogether?

Sakurai likes the idea of having two Links in a Smash game, saying it's important. I seriously doubt he is going to remove a chbi Link from Smash and if he does cut Toon Link, he'll simply replace him with Young Link (Majora's Mask Link is not coming to Smash).

As for replacing Sheik with Impa, this idea seriously needs to die. Sakurai will never do such a thing because it goes against his philosophy.

Under no condition does Impa fufill the first criteria because very few people want to play as her. All Impa replacing Sheik would do is cause an uproar among the community.

Rif-Raf

Smash Rookie
Don't you think if Nintendo added more Mario characters like Toad, Bowser jr and Waluigi in it would be I dunno too much? The only Id go with is Paper Mario, Kamek or King K. Rool, only cuz they can put under different series. I don't understand the whole Mewtwo thing really, I'm meet he great but with pokemon characters i predict theyre gunna keep changing, it wuld be kinda boring to just make every brawl and melee character a veteren, for me at least. And adding them with new characters wuld seem too much. If they wanna bring classic characters back, just go with Little Mac and end it there. I'm sure theyre are factors like history, popularity and content that apply to each character. I already have my wish list, but Im sure I won't get everything I want. None of us will.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Don't you think if Nintendo added more Mario characters like Toad, Bowser jr and Waluigi in it would be I dunno too much? The only Id go with is Paper Mario, Kamek or King K. Rool, only cuz they can put under different series. I don't understand the whole Mewtwo thing really, I'm meet he great but with pokemon characters i predict theyre gunna keep changing, it wuld be kinda boring to just make every brawl and melee character a veteren, for me at least. And adding them with new characters wuld seem too much. If they wanna bring classic characters back, just go with Little Mac and end it there. I'm sure theyre are factors like history, popularity and content that apply to each character. I already have my wish list, but Im sure I won't get everything I want. None of us will.
I see what you mean with the Mario thing, and I agree that there is a point that we should stop at, but I don't believe that point has been reached yet. Toad, especially, can at least offer a lot in terms of fighting style, and is the only major character left from the original Super Mario Bros., and if you want to get technical, the only one of the "Mario Eight" not yet playable in Smash.

As for Mewtwo, it is mainly because his cut cut the deepest. He's also arguably the most wanted "newcomer" worldwide, being the most popular in Japan and one of the most in the USA.

Not to mention, Sakurai did say that he likes reviving series through Smash, and it was hinted that he would do so with a new character in SSB4. Little Mac has already had a revival, and as such is no longer retro.

Just my input, take it as you will.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Probably Psycho because he kept repeating it after I repeatedly tried to tell him to stop repeating it. I'm guessing it was just a theory thrown around in the Brawl days by people that didn't know any better. Then people just picked it up because it's convincing if you don't think about it.

Like how "Ridley's too big" got so popular.
I only said it once, and I stopped when I learned that wasn't the reason.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You know, the funny thing about Ridley is that when you think it over, Medusa can actually be bigger than him. Of course, that's a moot point, as Medusa is a deity, while Ridley is a mortal being.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd switch Shulk and Megaman to the left and Black Knight, Ray, and the Villager to the right. I'd also remove Chaos and Shy Guy entirely, replace Funky with Dixie and Rosalina with either Toad, Bowser Jr, Paper Mario, or Waluigi. It's also interesting that both Midna and Skull Kid are there (neither have a good chance at all) and Ghirahim (who has a better chance) isn't. I'd also suggest putting a KI character at least on the right. Lastly, I wouldn't get my hopes up for Bomberman, Sukapon, or Deoxys, but at least you've got them on the right. Just my opinions on how to make it more realistic, though. ;)

Since the right is mostly your wishlist though, I suppose you should leave that part as it is (other than Rosalina, Midna, Shulk, and Megaman).

D

Deleted member

Seems to be a prediction list of some sort, so some suggestions:

- Remove Black Shadow from your list. F-zero does have a good chance of getting a second rep, but it probably won't be Black Shadow. Most people only want Black Shadow so that Ganondorf becomes unique, so it's basically "Ganondorf should be unique!" in disguise, not exactly what I call legitimate support. The people who do want Black Shadow as a character are few and far in between (though that's not to say they don't exist). Samurai Goroh is much more requested as a character anyway, so if you're aiming for a more realistic roster, your best bet for a F-zero rep is Goroh.

- Masked Man needs to go as well. Not many people are requesting a third Earthbound rep so demand is low. Plus given that the franchise is finished, I doubt Sakurai is going to see an incentive to add another Earthbound characters.

- Why is Black Knight on this list when we have the much more probable Roy and Krom up for contention? His moderate-sized fan base collapsed post-Brawl and very few nowadays want him in. He had his chance and he missed. Replace with either Roy or Krom.

- Animal Crossing is never getting a rep. Sakurai shot him down and there isn't any reason for him to change.

- It breaks my heart to say this, but Ray probably isn't getting in. He'd make a great addition, no doubt about it, but his fan base has mostly collapsed as well. He'll probably have a better shot in SSB5 since Noise does want to make another Custom Robo game, but I think he missed his shot for SSB4.

- I would suggest adding another retro rep (Takamaru and/or Mach Rider), a more likely misc. series (Little Mac, Saki, or Shulk), Palutena and I would consider adding Dixie Kong to the list as well.

- This is a pet peeve of mine, but I hate it when people call characters a "shoo-in". Nothing is guarantee and any potential newcomer/returnee could miss one way or another. I could easily explain why Ridley and Zoroark just might not make it in this game, despite both being realistic possibilities.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Seems to be a prediction list of some sort, so some suggestions:

- Remove Black Shadow from your list. F-zero does have a good chance of getting a second rep, but it probably won't be Black Shadow. Most people only want Black Shadow so that Ganondorf becomes unique, so it's basically "Ganondorf should be unique!" in disguise, not exactly what I call legitimate support. The people who do want Black Shadow as a character are few and far in between (though that's not to say they don't exist). Samurai Goroh is much more requested as a character anyway, so if you're aiming for a more realistic roster, your best bet for a F-zero rep is Goroh.

- Masked Man needs to go as well. Not many people are requesting a third Earthbound rep so demand is low. Plus given that the franchise is finished, I doubt Sakurai is going to see an incentive to add another Earthbound characters.

- Why is Black Knight on this list when we have the much more probable Roy and Krom up for contention? His moderate-sized fan base collapsed post-Brawl and very few nowadays want him in. He had his chance and he missed. Replace with either Roy or Krom.

- Animal Crossing is never getting a rep. Sakurai shot him down and there isn't any reason for him to change.

- It breaks my heart to say this, but Ray probably isn't getting in. He'd make a great addition, no doubt about it, but his fan base has mostly collapsed as well. He'll probably have a better shot in SSB5 since Noise does want to make another Custom Robo game, but I think he missed his shot for SSB4.

- I would suggest adding another retro rep (Takamaru and/or Mach Rider), a more likely misc. series (Little Mac, Saki, or Shulk), Palutena and I would consider adding Dixie Kong to the list as well.

- This is a pet peeve of mine, but I hate it when people call characters a "shoo-in". Nothing is guarantee and any potential newcomer/returnee could miss one way or another. I could easily explain why Ridley and Zoroark just might not make it in this game, despite both being realistic possibilities.

Lol, I know, I know, there is no such thing as a shoe in. I am just a fervent ridley supporter, so I always call ridley a shoe in. As for Zorark, he is probably the only character I would actually bet on being in the game.

Also, this was more of a wishlist roster than what I thought would happen. I agree that gorah is the most probably Fzero character, I just kinda don't like him for no particular reason.

As for black knight over any other FE rep, it was just another personal bias. I understand his chances are much lower, but, hey, I liked him alot xD.

However, you do change my mind with the Earthbound rep, i didn't realize the series was finished, that changes things.

And I don't remember sakurai shooting down animal crosser, but after a quick google, I find the source. yeah, I'd probably replace animal crosser with another classic rep, sakurai loves throwing those in there.

And I know there hasn't been a Custom Robo game in a while, but I do love the series, and it is one of the more recent game series that nintendo could consider. I do consider RAY MK a lower chance, but as i stated, this is closer to a semi realistic wish list than a what I think will happen sort of dealie.

I would like to think that either funky kong or k rool will be in over dixie, so I usually don't consider her. I have no bad opinion of her, just, I like the others better :D

and I really doubt palutena will appear as a playable character. I just don't see why so many people think sakurai is going to bring in another kid icarus rep. Pit was clearly a classic character revival, like ice climbers and G@W. the classics haven't gotten second reps. I own the new kid icarus. I like palutena's character a lot. but as a personal opinion, i just don't think she'll appear playable in sm4sh. Who know, maybe I'll eat those words later, but for now, I'm standing by them.

Thanks for the input :D I'll prob replace animal crosser with shulk (because the more I read about him the more I like him) and masked man with the promise of another misc mario or zelda rep, or maybe some other series representation.

Did you read my explanation post of it though?

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
I really hope Sakurai changes his mind on an Animal Crossing rep. They have such an obvious moveset using the tools and items from the games. The fishing rod could be used as a grab and tether recovery, the shovel and axe can be short range attacks, the slingshot can be a projectile, the parasol can be used to slow your fall, etc.

JPW

Smash Ace
I'm actually a fan of the WarioWare costumes. I prefer it to the classic look. So i'm hoping he keeps both. And Wario has an awesome moveset, perhaps one of the best in the game.

I'm starting to feel Krystal could end up as an Assist. It really depends on her popularity next time round and where the starfox series is heading.

for a F-zero rep i reckon it'll come down to a Black Shadow vs Samurai Goroh. Blood Falcon is already a shade anyway. And Blood Falcon will most likely be a clone of Falcon anyway.

Also i noticed someone taking offence to us saying certain characters are shoe ins. There will always be people who you can make a good bet on and an obvious choice.
To be honest when it came to brawl i felt there were aways 4 definites ie shoe ins. I felt if Sakurai missed any othe these then seriously there was something wrong with him.
From day 1: Before Brawl trailer:

Diddy Kong: I felt there was no way he was going to miss out on Brawl. He was definite. He had the popularity and he was DK sidekick and has been in numerous spinoffs.
Wario: Gaining a lot of popularity at the time and I always thought he'd be a fun addition. Good to see Sakurai and co. thought the same way.
Ike: I totally saw Ike replacing Roy. Ike was the new FE lord and the flavour of the month for FE reps and at least he wouldn't end up being a clone.
After the third party announcement:
Sonic the Hedgehog: Took me a while to believe he would get a shot considering he was a rival to Mario. And Nintendo at one time. Yeah it was the selling point, but it could of actually been a controverisal move if not done right.
When i saw the Olympics crossover though and saw how popular it got, i started to feel. "How could Sonic not have a chance? He was in.

It's a lot harder to take a shoe in guess for Smash 4. I guess at this point in time. We are not ready. I don't really want to make that big of a claim yet.
To be honest I can't even think of a perfect prediction, because there are som many reasons for and against a characters, we're basically playing the part of Faith with any guesses.
Even with Little Mac it's hard to predict. As i recall in Australia we actually got Punchout Wii as a limited release. It was only exclusive to JB hifi, and it was a very rare find. if you could find it lol. Usually we only get limited releases as i recall on games that do very bad overseas first off right? It's a shame because i love the PunchOut Games.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Although I can understand people becoming annoyed when the term 'shoo-in' is thrown around liberally to characters who are, in reality, anything -but- shoo-ins, I find it strange when people say no character is a lock for this game. -Some- number of popular characters have to be locked into the roster, or else the game wouldn't be nearly as appealing as its predecessors. It seems, at times, people throw flawed or downright stupid arguments around against popular characters just to perpetuate the idea that they could realistically miss out.

Stuff like, "this character has everything going for him, but he miiiiight not have moveset potential," or "this character is popular worldwide, but a biiiit less popular in this region." There wouldn't have been any shoo-ins for Brawl either if comparatively bad reasoning was used then as well. "Diddy should be in, but Miyamoto hates DKC [the interview where he disproved this came after Brawl] and the Jungle Beat developers said he wasn't fresh, so..." "Wario can't have a moveset because he's just a generic slob in the Ware games, and Land is irrelevant, so..."

The three Nintendo shoo-ins at this point are, in my opinion, Ridley, K. Rool and Little Mac, probably in that order. Megaman can be added to that club if third-parties are confirmed to return.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly, I don't have a problem with the term shoo-in, I just don't think it applies to any of the SSB4 candidates, as it did for characters such as Bowser in Melee. Well technically a good deal of veterans are shoo-ins, but as for new characters, I believe the one to have the best chance is K. Rool, and even then I don't think he's guaranteed, although I can understand why some people do. There's just so much to consider when predicting characters, such as region-specific popularity, same series competition, Sakurai's opinions, unknown legal issues, and the fact that the characters are becoming gradually less prolific and popular, for the most part, as compared to characters added in the previous titles.

So for the time being, I believe there are no shoo-ins, just some characters with fairly good chances.

D

Deleted member

My problem with the term "shoo-in" is that, it's thrown out there too liberally. Even if a character seems to have everything going for it (like people assumed with Ridley pre-Brawl), it still boils down to one thing, if Sakurai thinks the character is worthy of an inclusion. That is something that we won't know until a character is confirmed/deconfirmed for the game. Granted, I can understand why people consider K. Rool, Mewtwo, and even Palutena to be a shoo-in since they have so much going for them and their problems are miniscule in comparison, but I have a hard time seeing anyone else under the same position. It's more of my problem, but that's how I feel.

As for whom I'm willing to bet on, I consider anyone I feel is 95% certain to be in the next game to be of a relatively safe bet, even though I feel there are no shoo-ins. Right now, I would say those two are K .Rool and Mewtwo (and I am seriously willing to bet on their inclusions, $20 for both).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sakurai's opinion is the one big gray area that has a massive impact over a character's chances, there's no denying this. That said, there are very few characters who Sakurai has made much of a statement about whatsoever...Ridley, a handful of retro characters back in Melee, and something about not knowing who Krystal was before Brawl, off the top of my head. Because we lack his opinion on pretty much everyone else, I don't think it can be used as an argument for or against them. Everyone is on even ground in this regard, so there's no reason to use his opinion as reasoning against popular characters (or for unpopular ones), since it's such a shot in the dark. Not having him discuss characters pre-Brawl didn't stop us from accurately determining their likelihood, and it shouldn't now.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I have a problem with the word "shoo-in" because it looks like it should be "shoe-in." Y'know, like a shoe in the door. I mean, since when do you shoo things in. You always shoo things AWAY, not in.

So dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom