• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Mischief Makers? It was published by Nintendo in America and Europe, but by Enix in Japan, so I'm not sure if it counts as third party or not...
I don't consider Mischief Maker remotely possible mainly because very few people are asking for her (or any N64-only rep).

Unless you consider Saki Amamiya a N64-only character, I believe that there will never be a N64 retro rep.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
it's Mew-like stats would make it stick out like a sore thumb as those are of a peaceful nature that have to be brought screaming and crying to a fight (it especially hurts Victini in that anime personality is used in Smash).
?????

Mew is extremely powerful in both the anime and the games; in the anime, it had an even fight with Mewtwo, while in the games it has good stats in every category and the ability to learn any TM (Or, using Smeargle, any move in the game).

If Victini has Mew-like stats, it isn't exactly hurting, especially compared to the likes of Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pikachu, and Jigglypuff.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think SSBF meant to say "Mew like Status," but it was a typo. Basically he means that since he's essentially the 5th Gen's Mew equivalent, and based in how those are handled in Smash thus far, it would be a Poke Ball more than a playable fighter as far as likeliness.

I think. SSBF, please correct me if I'm wrong.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
No I think Victini Mew status thing is correct for the most part. There might be an exception to the rule this time around, but it's not very likely.

:phone:

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
I think SSBF meant to say "Mew like Status," but it was a typo. Basically he means that since he's essentially the 5th Gen's Mew equivalent, and based in how those are handled in Smash thus far, it would be a Poke Ball more than a playable fighter as far as likeliness.

I see. That makes more sense. Manaphy kind of broke the pattern of not having an effect on the fight, but all of them have still been Pokeball Pokemon.

I'm not a Victini fan (If any of the legendary pokemon with all base 100 stats appeal to me, it's probably Celebi or Manaphy), but I feel that the power level of a character should not affect their power level in Smash; otherwise, Mewtwo, Ness, Samus, and Ganondorf would just dominate the cast. :p

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Glad to see that you responded.

In regards to Sakurai's four criteria, I think I'm seeing where you're coming from here. For example, someone like Mewtwo easily fulfills all four criteria. It's easily one of the most wanted characters for Smash, obviously has great potentials to be unique (duh, Melee showed us that), and can mesh in well (it screams fighting-ready). Then you have someone like Victini which has weak (and worsening as time goes on) reception among the Smash community, not much unique potentials (move sets that are made shows similarities to what other Smash characters have; the only truly unique move I can think of is V-create), and it's Mew-like stats would make it stick out like a sore thumb as those are of a peaceful nature that have to be brought screaming and crying to a fight (it especially hurts Victini in that anime personality is used in Smash). That's why Victini's fan base collapsed and why Mewtwo's fan base has only kept growing. It's also why Mewtwo is among the most likely additions to the roster while Victini is doomed to a Pokeball.

Going to another subject related to this are characters with mostly made-up move sets and how they could fulfill Sakurai's four criteria. We've seen this with Captain Falcon in the original game. Before Smash 64, Captain Falcon was almost entirely seen inside his Blue Falcon and he was never seen fighting. Yet he was in Smash and his move sets reflected the fast nature of the game. Samurai Goroh works because he can reflect his move set from his home stage (Red Canyon). I believe Master Rapier made a move set for him.

It's also why I've been thinking of Mach Rider as a potential retro candidate (replacing Duck Hunt Dog on my prediction roster). He would work great with a mostly made-up move set and can reflect how the game is much better than can the Duck Hunt Dog (thought I am not saying he would be similar to Captain Falcon). What I'm saying is, as long as the character can be made into someone that is popular and stand out from the rest of the cast without being a sore thumb (like Victini), they can fit in and work as characters. That along with other reasons is why I feel Mach Rider is an underrated candidate for this game (I'll go more into detail later).
Looking good. I think you made a good assessment with Victini. One thing I will point out is that criteria 1, that it is not just characters that are popular but those who are likable. They need to get people interested even if they were not wanted. Look for that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't consider Mischief Maker remotely possible mainly because very few people are asking for her (or any N64-only rep).

Unless you consider Saki Amamiya a N64-only character, I believe that there will never be a N64 retro rep.
Well, it's probably because there weren't really any noteworthy new IP's that debuted on the N64 other than Animal Crossing. Sure, we got Doshin the Giant, Custom Robo, and Sin & Punishment but they aren't as popular as Animal Crossing. That, and those three franchises weren't exclusive to the N64 as they had games on Gamecube, Wii, or DS.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Looking good. I think you made a good assessment with Victini. One thing I will point out is that criteria 1, that it is not just characters that are popular but those who are likable. They need to get people interested even if they were not wanted. Look for that.
Sakurai has a knack for choosing those kind of characters. Everything ties together.

D

Deleted member

?????

Mew is extremely powerful in both the anime and the games; in the anime, it had an even fight with Mewtwo, while in the games it has good stats in every category and the ability to learn any TM (Or, using Smeargle, any move in the game).

If Victini has Mew-like stats, it isn't exactly hurting, especially compared to the likes of Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pikachu, and Jigglypuff.
That's an unfair comparison.

Pikachu, Ivysaur, and Squirtle are more than willing to fight, they enjoy it. Jigglypuff is fragile, but is willing to fight when need be. Victini shows severe hesitant to fight, even when the circumstances requires it.

That's correct.
I think Mach Rider can be that character that meets the first criteria while being an infrequent request. I see potential for Mach Rider to be the next Captain Falcon or Ice Climbers because he leaves so much room for an interesting and enjoyable play style that hooks people into him.

Speaking of criteria, I am currently making my own character possibilities pool. All I am saying is that by possibilities pool, I don't just mean plausible addition, I literally mean that if they are not in the pool, they are not getting in. And that the pool we're looking at is pretty slim.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
That's an unfair comparison.
I assumed you were talking about stats. Victini clearly wins in the stats department against those four mons.

Pikachu, Ivysaur, and Squirtle are more than willing to fight, they enjoy it. Jigglypuff is fragile, but is willing to fight when need be. Victini shows severe hesitant to fight, even when the circumstances requires it.
This is an argument based on Victini's character, not his stats.

I'd say that Peach's existence in Smash proves that a character who is rarely willing to fight can be implemented. It'd be nice if Peach could actually try to defend herself half the time she gets kidnapped.

That said, there are way more interesting and popular Pokemon, so Victini shouldn't be in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

Ta-da, my prediction roster. The only character I have real difficulty leaving off is Krystal. Everyone else have reasons for being on the roster (or not).
I think you left off Mii.

Don't you consider it to be a very likely possibility?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I think you left off Mii.

Don't you consider it to be a very likely possibility?
Even though Mii's are arguably the biggest "character" since Mario, I've recently been observing the massive amount of people opposed to them. Heck, I don't even like the idea, but when I couple this with Sakurai's hesitancy to include them in Brawl I've been changing my opinion on he/she/it/them being playable. Now, is that to say they will not be implemented into Super Smash Bros. in some fashion? No, but I don't believe it will be in the traditional sense many of us have been thinking.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Speaking of criteria, I am currently making my own character possibilities pool. All I am saying is that by possibilities pool, I don't just mean plausible addition, I literally mean that if they are not in the pool, they are not getting in. And that the pool we're looking at is pretty slim.
That seems pretty interesting. How slim are we talking? Like, in the 20-35 range? Less? More? Either way, I'll look forward to it. (What can I say, I like character pools :p)

D

Deleted member

DarkSouls said:
I'd say that Peach's existence in Smash proves that a character who is rarely willing to fight can be implemented. It'd be nice if Peach could actually try to defend herself half the time she gets kidnapped.
At least Peach did get her own game eventually in Super Princess Peach and she did show willingness to fight in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Which is more than you could say for Victini.

I'll stop here since there's nowhere else left to go.

Edit: My character pool is up:

These characters meets Sakurai's four criteria needed in order to get in and as such, makes my pool. Anyone who failed to make this pool have slim to no chance of getting in (as far as I'm concern).

Granted, I do have doubts about quite a few of these characters, but I believe because they meet Sakurai's four criteria that they have a shot.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
At least Peach did get her own game eventually in Super Princess Peach and she did show willingness to fight in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Which is more than you could say for Victini.

These characters meets Sakurai's four criteria needed in order to get in and as such, makes my pool. Anyone who failed to make this pool have slim to no chance of getting in (as far as I'm concern).

Granted, I do have doubts about quite a few of these characters, but I believe because they meet Sakurai's four criteria that they have a shot.
Personally I think a couple of characters could be added onto that list, especially one, but for the most part I think this is pretty spot on.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Pretty good. Although, if Ray can be justified, I feel Starfy could as well...that's personally what's bugging me most. Care to explain?

That and I feel Muddy is justifiable, personally. He does fit the 4 criteria...

For the most part, it's pretty accurate.

D

Deleted member

Opossum said:
Pretty good. Although, if Ray can be justified, I feel Starfy could as well...that's personally what's bugging me most. Care to explain?
The reason why Ray made the list is because while he is currently not a popular request, he has the potential to be a very popular addition. Ray's irrelevance eroded his popularity badly, but had that not been the case, he would be the second most popular misc. series addition, above Little Mac and below Isaac. If Ray were to become relevant and had a retail game, his popularity will receive a big increase. And given that Noise did express interest in a Custom Robo game for the next gen console, we could very well be seeing that popularity rise sometimes in the near future. He's one of those characters that I doubt will be in SSB4, but I could see him showing up in SSB5 if a new game helps his popularity considerably.

The way Sakurai treated Starfy in Brawl mostly ruined him ever getting in a Smash game. Remember that Starfy was treated as a joke character and people who have not played a Starfy game nor visit these boards will likely not support his inclusion whereas they are more likely to support Ray's inclusion because he was treated relatively well with Sakurai showcasing some of his abilities. If Starfy were to get in, he would be looked down by most people and be one of the least popular choices due to the joke AT status he was downgraded to.

In the end, Ray simply has more appeal to people and more potential to be popular. That's why he's in this pool and why Starfy is not.

As for Muddy Mole, I need to take a look at the support thread before deciding whenever or not to add him.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can see where you're coming from with Starfy, but weren't most of those issues resolved when Starfy's game went international? I mean, it was fairly known and sold decently, and even rectified what happened with him in Brawl. Not to mention, didn't Chrono's findings find him a relatively popular choice in Japan, on par with Waluigi? Correct me if I'm wrong.

D

Deleted member

I can see where you're coming from with Starfy, but weren't most of those issues resolved when Starfy's game went international? I mean, it was fairly known and sold decently, and even rectified what happened with him in Brawl. Not to mention, didn't Chrono's findings find him a relatively popular choice in Japan, on par with Waluigi? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Not really. Even when being relevant, Starfy still falls behind Saki, Isaac, Little Mac, and now Shulk in popularity, all of whom like Ray, have more potential to be popular characters in Smash that'll attract people to the game.

As for ChronoBound's finding, that was only one site. In other findings by ToiseofChoice, Starfy rarely came up. So we can't say for sure that Starfy is a popular request in Japan.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
All I'm saying is that this was supposed to be for characters that stand a shot, and if not listed, do not stand a ghost of a shot, correct? Starfy by all means has a shot. He's got nice moveset potential, decent popularity, and a devoted, albeit rather small, group pushing for his inclusion. And while this doesn't mean much, the Starfy series has more games than Punch-Out!!, Golden Sun, Sin and Punishment, and Xenoblade Chronicles, and is even in amount to Custom Robo, I believe, both having five.

JPW

Smash Ace
I also decided to drop my latest roster:

Young Link is actually supposed to be MM's link. I really like the idea of switching between the 3 main masks(Deku, Zoran, and Goron) and having different moves for each mask. It wasn't my idea so i wont take credit for it. But i remembering hearing it being discussed in the past and i quite like it.

Bring up anything else and i'll be glad to offer my thoughts.

JPW

Smash Ace
Does anyone think Wreck it Ralph has a chance. This movie he's got coming out. He's bound to get quite popular and i can see a few companies trying to cash in on it.

I already see a remake of the original game fro consoles and a game based off the movie.
Plus he will have a guest appearance is Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing: Transformed.

Now i know what you're thinking "but he was created in movieland". No he wasn't. The arcade machine we see him on is a real game. He started off on a game.

I'm not sayng he's 100% in i just want to see your thoughts. Nintendo might always want to cash in on the vibe.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Wreck-It Ralph gets his own video game, then it's possible. However, I'm not really betting that it'll make much of a difference.

D

Deleted member

Question, can someone confirm whenever or not Sakurai has picked up a Starfy game? (Opossum, I will get back to you soon, just need to get this question answered as it does relate to this discussion we're having)

Young Link is actually supposed to be MM's link. I really like the idea of switching between the 3 main masks(Deku, Zoran, and Goron) and having different moves for each mask. It wasn't my idea so i wont take credit for it. But i remembering hearing it being discussed in the past and i quite like it.

Majora's Mask Link, as cool as he would be, is a poor addition. This would alienate fans who enjoy Toon Link and spit them in the face. I know a lot of people wants an unique Link, but that is only going to cause more problems.

Any Pokemon roster that leaves Mewtwo out and replaces Lucario with a 5th/6th gen Pokemon is an atrocious one. While I may not like Zoroark, Mewtwo, Lucario, and Zoroark can co-exist and they have almost no similarities together. Not to mention that Mewtwo by all means should return and Lucario has no reason to be replaced (the only reason why Lucario would even be cut is due to time constraints, which is less likely than one would think). I will go more in detail as to why they should stay if you wish.

Especially bad is that you put in two Pokemon Trainers. Why should Hoenn Pokemon Trainer get in other than to rep a new gen?

Finally, Pac-Man has got to be one of the most overrated suggestions on this forum. The primary reason why he's given so much benefit of a doubt is because of the assumption that Namco Bandai is going to push for the inclusion of a Namco rep. Problem being is, there is nothing about this partnership that point towards more third-party characters.

Basically, swap Majora's Mask Link for Toon Link, drop Hoenn Pokemon Trainer, add back Mewtwo and Lucario, and drop Pac-Man.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I was doing some more size comparisons, and I've noticed that Porky looked unusually big, being taller than Ness when one doesn't involve the Spider Mech. Aren't those two supposed to be the same size?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I was doing some more size comparisons, and I've noticed that Porky looked unusually big, being taller than Ness when one doesn't involve the Spider Mech. Aren't those two supposed to be the same size?
As far as I know they are outside of weight.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But in theory, wouldn't being that old cause him to...deteriorate? If anything I think he'd be shorter.

@SSBF: I don't know if he has, actually. I don't think I've seen it in any of the pictures of games he's had. If he hasn't, then it would explain why Starfy was how he is in Brawl. Perhaps now that he sees some requests for him he'll look into it more? Although if it helps, he may possibly like Starfy. The dojo did sort of imply he was "charming," or something.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman

Shooot, there's a whole discussion thread about him, that you should take a look at :) He seems unopposed/generally agreed upon in terms of addition although also agreed on that he has a relatively small chance..

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324322

BTW, here's a roster image if you want him in your roster :] :

Majora's Mask Link, as cool as he would be, is a poor addition. This would alienate fans who enjoy Toon Link and spit them in the face. I know a lot of people wants an unique Link, but that is only going to cause more problems.
As much as I LOVE Toon Link and his games (wouldn't mind three Links, but we all know that's overboard and we know Sakurai knows it). His inclusion in the next game his HEAVY on four factors.

1. The next 3DS handheld game. If the next original Zelda title, which would be the 3DS one, has a the "Cel-Shade" style of Link, He's in hands down.

2. If it doesn't have the Cel-Shade style, that makes things a lot more blurry. That means his last appearance as a "Cel-Shade" character goes back to 2009's "Spirit Tracks". But he still has an incredible chance, if no "Smaller Link" is in the new 3DS game.

3. If there IS a new "Young/Small Link" in the next 3ds game, he's going to have a decent chance of replacing Toon Link.

4. Majora's Mask 3D. If Miyamoto, and Aonuma decide to head in the direction of Majora's Mask 3D remake akin to "Ocarina of Time 3D", I personally think that will breathe life back into the chances of a "Majora's Mask" moveset Masked Link.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
@SSBF

I believe that Pac-Man will be in the game because of this.
And knowing how much Sakurai respects Miyamoto, I think Pac-Man's a shoe-in.

JPW

Smash Ace
I believe PacMan is a shoein. Because he's the most well known Namco rep. And he fits Smash bros. more than Tekken or Soul Calibur characters do. And if Namco they're bound to put one of their characters in. And PacMan has been in Mario Kart Arcade Editions and he's also had a few games in the past on a Nintendo console. Yeah it was a bumpy history during the early 90's but that's even more reason. Rivals make good sales. Sonic lifted the hype for Smash Bros. PacMan can too.

I think 3rd parties will come back, it's a good investment and you can do a lot with it.

I've heard rumours of people moving on from the Toon Link look and trying to create a new look for future Young Links. And i thought it be wrong to knock Zelda reps back down to 3. So i put a Young Link there. Who knows what the next Young Link will look like i heard they were done with Toon Link though. I guess i could of thrown Grirhaim but it looks like he'll only ever be in one game.

I'm not going to put Mewtwo back in just because you guys want him back in. Or because people keep on saying he's the most popular, and he was only cut because of a mistake. I always see them replacing the former with the newest. I understand you're upset because you had fun with him and such. And yeah he's probably a popular character. But i see his time as over.
I like Lucario too, but i think he has possibly one of the least chances of coming back. He will be replaced by new generation out of all of us in 4 or 5 years who's going to remember Lucario?

I guess you could argue this for Ike too. Ike is the only other character besides Marth to be a lord in more than one Fire Emblem game.
And Ike also has a son in the new Fire Emblem game.
I think Ike could still have a chance.

This is my roster though. This is my attempt.

I'm actually feeling it needs some tweaking lately i've been thinking Krystal wont get in. My only reason for this as of late is because of Namco. They made Kilik and he has a Rod, and probably one of the best movesets in SC. And the Staff is very much like a Rod, imagine what they could do with Krystal. I even see this massive beam coming out of it.

And Snake's chances may not be good but now that he's in Brawl i kind of can't imagine a smash game without him.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Question, can someone confirm whenever or not Sakurai has picked up a Starfy game? (Opossum, I will get back to you soon, just need to get this question answered as it does relate to this discussion we're having)Majora's Mask Link, as cool as he would be, is a poor addition. This would alienate fans who enjoy Toon Link and spit them in the face. I know a lot of people wants an unique Link, but that is only going to cause more problems.
Very true. Cel-shaded/"Toon" style Links have appeared in no less than 6 (counting Four Swords, FSA, and Minish Cap), so he's a big part of the franchise and not having him would be insulting to a number of us TL fans.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Doesn't count. A small flash game to advertise the movie is not going to be enough for Sakurai. There is also the fact that third parties are limited anyway. We may not even get one.
That problem is exacerbated when you consider Wreck It Ralph is a property of Disney.

D

Deleted member

Taking this from the Rundas thread since this is more General Roster Discussion material
GoldenYuiitusin said:
This is part of the reason why the "criteria" is a bunch of BOLOGNA [/heavy]. Since there are numerous counters to them and people interpret them in their own way.
It's true, we do have our own interpretation of Sakurai's criteria and there isn't a concrete way to interpret these criterias (dumb off-topic question, but is this how you spell criteria with a plural?). But the input that matters the most is the man himself and he's the one that ultimately decides the characters. He did not just throw these criterias out there for kicks, he made those criterias to help with the character decision process. I can assure you that he will be following those criteria again because those are what make the best choices for a newcomer. How he interprets those four criteria we can't say for sure, but it does explain why we have the choices we have.

At the very least, it judges the value of the characters and keeps absymal suggestions like Dunsparce out of the roster. Which already gives it more credential than the villain and female argument.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Criteria is plural. Singular is criterion, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom