• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sweet tapdancing Jesus...I remember a period where people believed Waluigi's AT reveal was a hint that ATs would secretly be playable. You know, despite the fact that the opening line of the update was "The fact that he's appearing as an Assist Trophy means he won't be a playable character."

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
A lot of people seemed disappointed Saki wasn't playable. I'll admit I was too, even though I had never heard or seen him before that update.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Assist Trophies in general cause a bit of disappointment, don't they? It's like a note saying that "this character isn't worth bothering with, suck up losers"

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Assist Trophies in general cause a bit of disappointment, don't they? It's like a note saying that "this character isn't worth bothering with, suck up losers"
Yeah, when Deoxys, Lyn, Little Mac, etc. were Pokeball'd and AT'd I was disappointed, but by the time Ray MK and especially Isaac were confirmed as ATs I was just relieved they were in the game at all (IIRC they were revealed after the final roster was leaked, though I could be wrong), because I thought they missed the game entirely.

I had played S&P before Brawl came out, but even when Saki was revealed it took me a minute to remember who he was. :embarrass::laugh:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, to be honest, I think Sakurai believes that including a character in any way, shape or form is a way to please fans of that character. While he didn't make Ridley playable, he bumped him up from a brief Pokemon to two bosses, knowing that the character was rather beloved. Though most Assist Trophies appear to be meant as "fun" cameo appearances from characters who don't really have a fanbase, putting in the likes of Little Mac and Samurai Goroh was probably a way to satisfy their fans when playability wasn't an option for whatever reason.

This is, of course, not to say that the characters who weren't ATs weren't even looked at as popular.

JPW

Smash Ace
I find Ridley to be an interesting choice because all Smash characters actually stand on their feet. There is a stance they have. Can you imagine Ridley trying to stand on his feet. It could work but it be very weird considering he's a bat.I guess you can look at that Melee intro and see it can be possible. I'm not against Ridley getting in, i would love it. But I can see why Sakurai thinks it could be impossible. I think Ridley will end up as an assist first, and if they see the chance for more moves and a unique way then definitely they'll try and to do something.

One thing i could see is he has automatic flight, he'll never fight on the ground he'll always be above by an inch or something.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
In the last couple Metroid games (Other M and Prime 3) the majority of his fighting was on the ground, actually, and he walked on his 2 feet in both of those. Him walking on all fours like Ivysaur as he's done on occasion could also be an option, though.

JPW

Smash Ace
i still haven't played Other M, and i kind of grew out of Metroid Prime 3. I should get back into them though seeing as there is a new drought in gaming.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Here's my personal wishlist:

Mario Series:
[Striker]Daisy - Daisy is a tomboy. Anyone familiar with her or even cares about her should know that. If she's in SSB4, I would hope she is represented wearing something sporty to highlight her persona. Moveset can be alterations of Peach, but Daisy should punch rather slap.

Waluigi - No brainer. He can be one of those wacky characters like G&W and ROB... Even Wario.
Maybe he should carry around a tennis racket like he did in Brawl?

Donkey Kong Series:

King K. Rool - I'm not sure what type of moveset he'd have but slashing and biting seems plausible. He'd somewhat be like a tank just as Bowser. And seeing these two duke it out would be awesome.

Dixie Kong - Pseudo clone of Diddy Kong. Quicker, floatier and lighter. Can use her hair to "glide" and used to attack.

Kirby Series:

Prince Fluff - Would definitely be a neat character to have to represent the fantastic Kirby's Epic Yarn game. Would be a character you should keep in the battlefield and not out the ring especially when his recovery is likely to be to latch onto ledges. Will be very light but have strong attacks- similar to how light G&W is but his attacks pack quite a punch.

Knuckle Joe - I was so excited when I saw a picture of Knuckle Joe on the DOJO. Damn, if only he was playable. He should be one of the Assist Trophies who makes it to the playable roster. Also, would give us a chance to play as Fighter Kirby too!

Zelda Series

Lord Ghirahim - He has to be in the playable cast. Agile, light and tricky.

Vaati - We should have him represent the 4 Swords Series at least. And coming up with a unique moveset for him wouldn't be too hard for the team at Sora considering the powers he posses. Maybe a mix of Zelda's moveset (alterations, obviously) with some sword attacks? That's different, at least.

Kid Icarus Series

Palutena - Loved her role in Uprising. The fight with her was fun and she seems capable of fighting. She should be the first character in Smash Bros. to fight with a staff besides Krystal.

Medusa - An Alternative to Palutena. Would use her claws to slash at opponents and Staff for long-reach attacks. The snakes she has on her head could be part of her moveset.

Hades - Have him. Please... He's too awesome not to be a fighter. He'd be a quick strong fighter but who isn't good for those long-range battles. Similar to Ganondorf. If Medusa doesn't make the cut, at least Hades!

Magnus - With Ike potentially being cut or even changed considering his new look in the new 3DS game Fire Emblem Awakeing, Magnus would be a nice alternative to Ike's past moveset if Ike gets a change. Magnus however would be a tad slower in his attacks and recovery short. Best keep in grounded.

MOTHER series

Poo - Unlikely, but would be nice to see the master of PSI Starstorm arrive with his sword in hand. Would use a mixture of PSI attacks with sword play mixed in.

Kumatora - If Poo doesn't make it, how about this princess? She'd use variations of PK Fire, PK Freeze and PK Thunder. So, her side-B would be PK Freeze B, recovery (up-B) PK Fire B [She's covered in flames and launches upward- similar to Fire Fox but you can curve and change direction like Lucario's recovery] and Down-B would be PK Thunder B- a bolt of lightning flash in front of her. Neutral B would have to be PSI Magnet Ω where any projectiles that can be absorbed get drawn in and absorbed in close proximity. So, if ZSS shoots a Paralyze Beam at Kumatora, pressing B will draw that attack in even though it isn't charged completely to reach Kumatora. This PSI Magnet cannot be held onto and only lasts for 2-3 seconds upon pressing the B button compared to holding Down-B with Ness and Lucas.

Masked Man - Uses mixture of PSI Attacks through sword play- similar to what was suggested with Vaati with Magic/Sword and Poo with PSI/Sword.

Fire Emblem Series:

Krom - To represent the latest Fire Emblem title. A variation of Marth and Ike's moveset with alterations to make him unique

Lyn - Pulled from the Assist Trophy, lots of attacks require charging and timing compared to other FE combatants.

Pokemon series

Mewtwo [returning] - Keep the same moveset from Melee- maybe alterations?

Zoaroak - Very physical. Quick attacks but really light. Neutral B could be Dark Pulse where a small wave a dark energy bursts from it's body. Doesn't cause opponents to flinch however. Can hold B-button to cause greater damage and slightly increase the radius of impact. If opponent is closer to it, the more damage they take with a small chance and being sent flying if percentage level is above 60%.

Pokemon Trainer B/W - Team consists of Snivy, Pignite and Samurott. Interesting thing about Samurott is that it's dash in movement produces some trail of water as if it's sliding. Side smash would be a nasty sword slash it pulls from it's arm. The more it's opponent is in the "middle" of the slash, the greater the damage.

Warioware Series:

Kat and Ana - Quicker and slightly weaker version of Ice Climbers. Neutral B would be throwing stars and recovery would have them shoot a knife at the ledge to pull them back to safety in unison. If two are together, the reach will be greater. If it's just only Kat or Ana by themselves, the reach will be shorter. You don't need both of the characters alive to use the recovery move. If one is by themselves, they get a slight attack boost to balance things out (think of them being vengeful).

Ashley - Use magic to attack. Will not physically attack opponents. Red could be incorporated into her moveset for some physical attacks.

Sin & Punishment Series

Saki Amamiya - Take movesets from Brawl. Obviously nerf some projectile moves.

Isa Jo - Alternative to Saki. Reach is shorter but stronger. Attack patter different- Luigi-fied or similar to Ness vs Lucas style of having totally different attacks besides special moves.

Custom Robo Series:

Ray MK II - I know what you are thinking. "He's too small!" but that did not stop Olimar who's a few centimeters shorter than a Gamecube disc from popping up. Or Kirby being a few inches tall. How about Pikachu who can climb onto Ash's shoulders? He can't do that in Brawl. He's fat! Size doesn't matter. Bowser is supposed to be FAR bigger. Look at him- scaled down. Even Ganondorf is huge in the Zelda games.. Anyhow, back to Ray- moveset mostly borrowed from Assist Trophy. Good ranged character. Physical attacks on the weak and short side. Speed is adequate though.

Star Fox Series

Krystal - Very different from current cast of Star Fox fighters. Will use staff from Star Fox Adventures. A little heavier than Fox but somewhat quicker than Falco.

Golden Sun Series

Issac - Single handed sword play with Psyenergy attacks mixed in. A bit heaver than Marth in terms of weight class. Felix from The Lost Ages could also take his place.

Matthew - Similar to his father Issac but slightly weaker attacks. Sword has longer reach and is much more agile than Issac- also lighter. Uses different Psyenergy to differentiate from Issac/Felix.

Metroid Series

Adam Malcovich - Uses weapons such as a "ray" gun and is a heavy classed character. Recovery similar to Zero Suit Samus. Strong attacks. Slower than Samus.

Ridley - Quick and Strong. But easy to knock out (classed as light)

That's all I can think of right now.. at 12AM as I type this. I may have missed some suggestions I wrote up awhile ago, but these kinda stand out. I went in depth with some to describe their moveset- like Kumatora. And the amount suggested as new is somewhat feasible and realistic.

JPW

Smash Ace
Tingle definitely needs more love to warrant a place on my roster. He also needs to be more likeable by me. The only way i would accept Tingle is so he could be my punching bag.

D

Deleted member

Starphoenix said:
Sakurai finally discussed Solid Snake and Sonic the Hedgehog a little bit. I'm getting the impression there is a good chance they might be returning.
Good to hear that's the case. I was very worried about Sonic and Snake being cut, but it's nice to see Sakurai think positively of them after all of these years. This gives me a good feeling about them. Perhaps cuts will be avoided after all?

That said, one part of me really makes me want to hate Sakurai for throwing a curve ball at me just as I had a roster that I had locked down. As such, I'm dropping a Mario newcomer from my prediction roster and adding Sonic and Snake back. Also bringing back Saki and dropping Mii's since Sakurai thinks positively for Saki whereas there's nothing that states him changing his negative opinion on Mii's being in Smash (although definitely not ruling them out, still think they have a good chance). Seriously, predicting this roster is a *****.

Still keeping my Toise betting roster the same, though, just to see how it does.

Edit: Speaking of which, would it be against the rules for someone to post a massive analysis topic? I'm going to start work on it very soon (and going to try to finish it before Nintendo's Spaceworld conference in September) and I want to know if I should make a thread for this or make a YouTube video.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Toad is already part of Peach's moveset so i don't think he will be his owb character
People still use this as a detractor? Easy solution: make Toad playable, give Peach Toadsworth.

D

Deleted member

Or make Toad playable and recolor Peach's Toad.

Edit: Just realize that the definitions for relevance and importance were different. Ignore what I said here.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Saki from "Sin and Punishment" is gonna be mid/high tier when smash 4 comes out. :smirk:

Oh and whoever haven't played sin & punishment yet....go play it, it's good.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Toad would be a neat addition. Charizard was a Pokeball character and turned playable. Toad moving from a moveset to a playable character is feasible. Especially his gain in popularity in NSMBWii. I can see his moveset based off Wario's Woods and Super Mario Bros. 2. He can pick vegetables up quicker than Peach. Very nimble, too. How about a chance of picking out one of the enemies from Wario's Woods, a severely under rated and underappreciated game.

And that's a neat suggestion about Toadsworth. Most logical choice especially since he's very protective and stuck on Peach in the games.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Has Toad really gained popularity because of NSMBW? Last I checked, most people were angry he was playable instead of more intriguing characters like Peach or the Wario Bros.

New appearance =/= more popular

D

Deleted member

Has Toad really gained popularity because of NSMBW? Last I checked, most people were angry he was playable instead of more intriguing characters like Peach or the Wario Bros.

New appearance =/= more popular
He was likely referring to how Toad's acceptance within the Smash community grew as did his supporters due to the game. I think the NSMBWii factor is overrated, but I see where he's coming from here.

Onto another topic, I've noticed a certain user on GameFAQs been talking about how Sakurai stated he tries to keep bias away from his works. Could someone find that quote? Not that I don't believe that's the case.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Good to hear that's the case. I was very worried about Sonic and Snake being cut, but it's nice to see Sakurai think positively of them after all of these years. This gives me a good feeling about them. Perhaps cuts will be avoided after all?
Already said that in the Iwata Asks. To tell the truth, the more recent news just confirms what a lot of us have already knew/speculated.

Onto another topic, I've noticed a certain user on GameFAQs been talking about how Sakurai stated he tries to keep bias away from his works. Could someone find that quote? Not that I don't believe that's the case.
Bias? Well that depends, he has said that he tries to put other people's series higher in priority than his, hense no Kirby newcomers until Brawl.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Now that M.Sakurai has stated that he's narrowing down I guess the number of third party characters expected to join, with the exception of Sonic & Snake which are staying

I can live without Ryu & Viewtiful Joe.
Banjo & Kazooie seem real unlikely, but if they can pull it off I'd be happy, & Bomberman, I just don't know, Not sure how Hudson would handle it, If they were to ask to include him in Smash...Pac-Man & Megaman should be a given for Sakurai. & Shadow still seems very likely
This may mean no Spyro :( or no ?? ??? ????????? which didn't make me final list, & may not make it at all.
In the case where I would have to get rid of most of my 3rd parties, these would replace them:
Little Mac
Krystal
Resetti/K.K Slider
Impa/Ghirahim
Brian (Quest 64)
Claus/Masked Man
& Lyn (Fire Emblem)

D

Deleted member

Bias? Well that depends, he has said that he tries to put other people's series higher in priority than his, hense no Kirby newcomers until Brawl.

That being the case, would it affect Kid Icarus in any way, do you think?

It's not really his series, yet Uprising was his project.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Regardless of what Sakurai thinks about the series, he could foresee that, if he adds too much Kid Icarus content, people will blast him for being biased. Because of this, I don't think he will include an excessive amount of material from Uprising.

D

Deleted member

Already said that in the Iwata Asks. To tell the truth, the more recent news just confirms what a lot of us have already knew/speculated.
I understand that he did speak positively of his experience with Sonic and Snake just after Brawl was released, it just that I wasn't sure if that same attitude would carry on four years from now and may see Sonic and Snake as disposable due to being third-party. Thankfully, the recent article seem to confirm that he sees them more than just your typical guests, which is why it restored my hopes in them returning.

And that's all I'll say on this topic, since I have nothing else to add.
He definitely wants to avoid being too biased with Kirby, especially after all the criticism he got with Brawl for SSE. I'm not sure if his fear of bias would extend to other series, though. That said, I think with Saki and Palutena, Sakurai could justify potential bias for them, especially given that he didn't create these series and they both have good reasons to be in.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Pretty much the only reason a KI newcomer is so questionable.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Why not? There is going to be a Sin and Punishment stage in the next game, probably better odds for it to happen than not.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
[citation needed]
It's going to happen. Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is not only one of the ciritically best received games for the Wii, as a stage it brings unique gameplay opportunities that Sakurai typically gravitates towards. Plus, being on the Wii versus the DS also makes implementation easier.

The only problem is much like Animal Crossing, Hanenbow and Pictochat it could wind up a stage without a corresponding character. The same is true of the future Xenoblade stage, but that is not quite on the same level as the inevitable Star Successor stage.

Trust me, I've studied this stuff to an unhealthy degree...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's going to happen. Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is not only one of the ciritically best received games for the Wii, as a stage it brings unique gameplay opportunities that Sakurai typically gravitates towards. Plus, being on the Wii versus the DS also makes implementation easier.

The only problem is much like Animal Crossing, Hanenbow and Pictochat it could wind up a stage without a corresponding character. The same is true of the future Xenoblade stage, but that is not quite on the same level as the inevitable Star Successor stage.

Trust me, I've studied this stuff to an unhealthy degree...
I think it's a very big assumption to make that S&P will receive a stage no matter what, even if it doesn't get playable representation. Sure, there is a pretty decent chance of S&P getting a character (probably Saki) and then getting a stage to reflect the series, but firstly I think the chance of getting a stage without a playable character to correspond to it is unlikely (I'll expand on that in a minute) and secondly, I think that assuming a stage from an unrepresented series such as Sin & Punishment (which has alot of points for it, but also has alot that hinders it) is inevitable is a fairly big hyperbole, even considering Sakurai's bias.

As for my first point, I think Sakurai bases the stages off the roster, for the most part. The only times there have been a stage without a corresponding character for it is when Sakurai believes the characters in whatever series it might be will not work in Smash, for whatever reason (such as Animal Crossing). So far there hasn't been a stage from an unrepresented series with a viable candidate, and there really is no evidence this will change. So since Sakurai views Saki as a character that could very well fit into Smash, I believe the options will be to include both Saki and a S&P stage, or neither. I believe the same can be said for Xenoblade, but I believe music will get in no matter what. As there has been no precedent for stages from unrepresented viable series, I very much doubt we will see any in SSB4. Now stages like Wuhu Island or Nintendo Land (if Sakurai deems Miis unworkable) or a Rhythm Heaven stage, I could definitely see without a playable correspondent.

Regardless, I think classifying a stage from any unrepresented series with viable candidates as inevitable is an unrealistic assumption.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
[COLLAPSE="Stage Discussion"]
I think it's a very big assumption to make that S&P will receive a stage no matter what, even if it doesn't get playable representation. Sure, there is a pretty decent chance of S&P getting a character (probably Saki) and then getting a stage to reflect the series, but firstly I think the chance of getting a stage without a playable character to correspond to it is unlikely (I'll expand on that in a minute) and secondly, I think that assuming a stage from an unrepresented series such as Sin & Punishment (which has alot of points for it, but also has alot that hinders it) is inevitable is a fairly big hyperbole, even considering Sakurai's bias.
It's not a big assumption at all. If I said that about Saki, then yeah you'd have a point.

It isn't about points against it or what have you. When Sakurai selects stages he looks for two things; stages that bring something different than any other stage, and reflect the overall series it represents. Sin and Punishment: Star Successor was very well received by reviewers and most everyone who played it, it's only problem was being a niche series on a platform that does not accommodate those type of games. That, however, is beside the point.

As for my first point, I think Sakurai bases the stages off the roster, for the most part. The only times there have been a stage without a corresponding character for it is when Sakurai believes the characters in whatever series it might be will not work in Smash, for whatever reason (such as Animal Crossing). So far there hasn't been a stage from an unrepresented series with a viable candidate, and there really is no evidence this will change. So since Sakurai views Saki as a character that could very well fit into Smash, I believe the options will be to include both Saki and a S&P stage, or neither. I believe the same can be said for Xenoblade, but I believe music will get in no matter what. As there has been no precedent for stages from unrepresented viable series, I very much doubt we will see any in SSB4. Now stages like Wuhu Island or Nintendo Land (if Sakurai deems Miis unworkable) or a Rhythm Heaven stage, I could definitely see without a playable correspondent.
There was a time before Brawl back during the days of Nsider where no one believed that a stage would ever not be associated with a character, so when Smashville was revealed on the DOJO it led to a great many arguments and debates. We all found out it could happen. Just because something was true for Brawl does not mean it won't happen in the next game. Yes, precedent is always the better leg to stand on, but it isn't the only one. Just because something hasn't happened does not mean it will not.

Regardless, I think classifying a stage from any unrepresented series with viable candidates as inevitable is an unrealistic assumption.
Like I said previously Sakurai looks for stages that bring unique atmospheres and gameplay mechanics. Star Successor definitely brings that to the table. Since graphically fidelity is going to be a bigger deal with the Wii U, such a stage makes sense. The Sin and Punishment stage likely fill the F-Zero stage role in being a futuristic-y stage that will, probably, follow along some kind of on-rail path. How exactly Sakurai will do that? Have no clue.

The only problem that may prevent a Sin and Punishment stage from happening is the overall consistency of the game's design. Post-apocalyptic may not work out if all of the characters take on a slightly more illustrated look, but hey, Brawl made a Metal Gear Solid stage work.

Bleh, sorry for filling the roster thread with stage discussion. If need be this convo can be continued at the stage thread on the other board.[/COLLAPSE]

*snip snip*

So it's been leaked that Jin, Kazuya and Ryu Hyabusa are in PSABR. Guess we can write them off of the list too right? lol

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It isn't about points against it or what have you. When Sakurai selects stages he looks for two things; stages that bring something different than any other stage, and reflect the overall series it represents. Sin and Punishment: Star Successor was very well received by reviewers and most everyone who played it, it's only problem was being a niche series on a platform that does not accommodate those type of games. That, however, is beside the point.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to downplay Sin & Punishment as a series, the fact that it would make an interesting and appealing stage, or its character chances, I just think it's not on the same level as something like Animal Crossing or the Nintendo DS, which even without playable representation, still has enough popularity and importance to warrant a stage. Sin & Punishment really doesn't have the audience capacity that the two others do, so if a stage without playable representation was to be included, it would most likely be due to Sakurai's bias (unless for some reason precedent changes and Sakurai includes stages from multiple unrepresented series). While Sakurai's bias is a good way to increase the chances of something (it might have been why we got an Electroplankton stage, which I'm still not sure why we got, and honestly weakens my argument here :awesome:) I don't believe it is enough of a factor to cause something like a Sin & Punishment stage to become inevitable.

There was a time before Brawl back during the days of Nsider where no one believed that a stage would ever not be associated with a character, so when Smashville was revealed on the DOJO it led to a great many arguments and debates. We all found out it could happen. Just because something was true for Brawl does not mean it won't happen in the next game. Yes, precedent is always the better leg to stand on, but it isn't the only one. Just because something hasn't happened does not mean it will not.
You're right. Technically it could happen, there might be a chance we will receive a stage from a series that doesn't have a corresponding viable character to go along with it. But I think it's just that, a chance, not a guarantee, as you seem to think. While precedent can change, I believe the fact that it hasn't so far in the Smash series proves that even though there is the possibility of it changing, without any evidence yet in that favor, it is still a large assumption to make that it, without doubt, will change.

As for the rest of your points, I pretty much agree with them, a Star Successor stage would be a really cool stage, and I would love to play on one. I personally liked the game and would be happy seeing it in Smash, I just think it isn't as likely to be a stage without a corresponding playable character as you do. I'm not against the idea of S&P representation though, if anything, I'm advocating for more. :laugh:

And I wouldn't worry about Sakurai getting it to fit in Smash style, after what he managed to do with a series like Metal Gear, like you said, I'm confident he'd be able to get pretty much anything to fit if he really tried. ;)

------------------------

Also, I'm not into all the Tekken characters in PSABR, though they do fit among most of those characters more than among Nintendo ones. Ryu Hayabusa I could go either way on, but it's both funny and sad to see how much they're relying on 3rd parties.

edit: It's also hilarious how much the game's roster is leaking.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I've been following this man for seven years. I've learned his habits and patterns as far as development goes. Anyways.

As for the Tekken/PSABR, hopefully this keeps those awful Tekken characters away from Smash Bros. If people want to play as them, go get that game and leave Smash Bros be.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
And I wouldn't worry about Sakurai getting it to fit in Smash style, after what he managed to do with a series like Metal Gear, like you said, I'm confident he'd be able to get pretty much anything to fit if he really tried. ;)

------------------------

Also, I'm not into all the Tekken characters in PSABR, though they do fit among most of those characters more than among Nintendo ones. Ryu Hayabusa I could go either way on, but it's both funny and sad to see how much they're relying on 3rd parties.
Probably, though with Metal Gear he focused on the humorous aspects of series (cardboard, !, and talking with teammates). So it really depends on the series.

Tekken would probably be like Metal Gear, serious but has the humor there as well. Ninja Gaiden, as much as I'd hate to say, wouldn't fit that, the series doesn't have any really lighthearted moments even in the original NES series (although the DoA games do have their moments... :awesome:).

Maybe it's because I haven't played the 2nd game yet to get a broder range of the series, but with the amount of content it'll most likely get, fitting in shouldn't be much of a problem. Definitely going to bet that Sakurai plays Saki (if playable) off as a sterotypical Shounen Manga hero (certainly has the hair for it).

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Yeah, but congruency between all of the various styles within the Nintendo universe is a extraordinarily daunting challenge, and part of a credit to Sakurai for having been able to pull it off for three games. Sin and Punishment is a much different feel than many of the other series in Nintendo's catalogue, and could pose a problem to that continuity. Though really it's no different than Mushroomy Kingdom or Port Town.

Someone said it a while back, but the key to the overall design within each Super Smash Bros title lies with the Zelda series. That one series, with all of it's changing art style, steers the direction Sakurai takes in designing the other characters. As I've thought about it I'm inclined to agree.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I've been following this man for seven years. I've learned his habits and patterns as far as development goes. Anyways.

As for the Tekken/PSABR, hopefully this keeps those awful Tekken characters away from Smash Bros. If people want to play as them, go get that game and leave Smash Bros be.
Me too. ;)
It's only recently that I've decided to discuss Smash with people who actually know what they're talking about though. :laugh:

I agree about the Tekken characters also. Although for me it's not that I hate them, it's just that I don't want them anywhere near Smash. If Namco needs a rep, I hope it's one that actually seems like they belong (or at least doesn't stick out) instead of anything from like SC or Tekken.

@Designing Smash after Zelda
I've noticed this too and I've wondered how much of it is Sakurai's decision and how much is Nintendo refusing to let the Zelda characters have anything but their most recent look and Sakurai just adapting by styling the whole game around it.

Probably, though with Metal Gear he focused on the humorous aspects of series (cardboard, !, and talking with teammates). So it really depends on the series.

Tekken would probably be like Metal Gear, serious but has the humor there as well. Ninja Gaiden, as much as I'd hate to say, wouldn't fit that, the series doesn't have any really lighthearted moments even in the original NES series (although the DoA games do have their moments... :awesome:).
Yeah, him being able to fit anything is a bit of an exaggeration (something I just argued with Star about doing :embarrass::awesome:) but I think most of the characters and series that actually have a chance Sakurai would be able to make fit pretty well, or at least decently. Honestly, aesthetically I thought the Metal Gear stuff fit even better than some of those 8-bit ATs. And although I'm really against it, he probably would find a way to get a Tekken character to fit in at least decently with the rest of Smash.

I can see your point with Ninja Gaiden though, even though just personally I never thought Ryu Hayabusa would clash that badly in Smash (though I still don't want him to ever be included). I'm guessing that if Ryu ever did end up being included somehow, Sakurai would draw largely with from the NES titles for his method of representing Ninja Gaiden.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Thinking about it now, the Playstation All Stars game probably has it even tougher, not to mention they're also fusing stages between multiple series. I'm having even less doubt about fitting a series in now, of course, Sakurai does have a different perpective though.

Zelda? Well that would explain Mario's pokerface in Brawl. Definitely hope we go back to the more brighter color scheme like we had with 64 (with a bit of Melee thrown in for some of the more realistic series).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom