• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Meeeeeh @ the above idea. I just wouldn't buy it then, just like how I never got Black & White 2. For what it was worth though I could stomach gen 5 a lot more than gen 4 as it was pretty fresh in comparison, especially with some of the Pokemon designs. Depending on what gen 6 has to offer, could go either way as far as me "hopping on the bandwagon".

@ Dark Phazon: Glad to see someone who appreciates HG/SS as much as I. Sad that it's underrated compared to the FR/LG remakes, at least from what I've seen on other sites.

I didnt mention it before but yh ima hugee poke fan i play competetive and everything.

I honestly cant beilieve people dont appreciate HG/SS.. they were truly masterpieces ima go through SS now only finished it once before that was HG i perfer Ho-oh over Lugia but i love em both.

And omg you serious that there gonna be a B/W3.. is it gonna be on DS or only 3DS?

I dont want a Gen6 just yet but i certainly dont want a B/W3 either..Unless it has like 12-16 Gyms and is better then B/W1..

a R/S/E 3DS remake would be the best option imo.

With a extended story with Like Steven Stone And Cynthia battling each over in competition or something would be sick.
:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pokemon MMO with being able to travel to all regions would be cool. Probably won't happen before the REAL apocolypse comes though. :rolleyes:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I know this is random but please i really wanna know and would appreciate you guys help.

Im tryna find the most requested Brawl Characters..

But its near impossible expecially because of the Dojo..

Do you guys have a link or you know yourself you could tellme?

I just wanna see how far off people were from the real roster and speculate.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think both Isaac and Starfy are very similar in a lot of respects. They were both characters that debuted on the GBA, and had extremely successful titles (both critically and commercially). They both had a lot of support for Brawl, though probably did not get in due to how many important characters from Nintendo's veteran franchises were still needed to be added. Both made it in as Assist Trophies.

When both of those characters/franchises arrived on the DS, they had an decrease in both sales and critical reception (Starfy 5 was the lowest selling installment in the series in Japan, though that was offset by its large success in North America). The low sales of the latest installments have put the future of both of those franchises in jeopardy (moreso Golden Sun than Starfy, though its very strange we are going on five years without a new Starfy game announced).

Its really sad how Nintendo had two very successful new IPs made on the GBA, but on the DS both of those franchises basically fell into disrepair. Its even more shameful considering how much more successful the DS was over the GBA.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
TOSE probably hasn't worked on a new Starfy game in a while because the company has been busy contributing with other products. TOSE is a company that has worked on many titles over the years (developed or co-developed), but rarely gets credit for any of them. It's currently suggested that they assisted with over 1,000 different titles.

D

Deleted member

I've heard people talking about Jam With The Band getting a 3DS game, and it got me to thinking. While her chances may not be too terribly great, Barbara the Bat would make an interesting character, no?
She's made quite a few appearances that involve
-making music (Jam With The Band)
-magic tricks (Master of Illusion)
-teaching Europeans and Japanese how to speak English (English Training: Have Fun Improving Your Skills!)

While the original Japanese-only game in the Jam With The Band series in 2004 and her secondary appearance in Master of Illusion (being currently her only non-Brawl appearance in the States) in 2006 was unlikely to have made her worthy for Smash, the fact that the Jam With The Band sequel in 2008 (after Brawl) was not Japan-only (though still not in the States) and there is an upcoming game in the series, is it possible Sakurai could find worth in her solely to introduce a new music and illusion style of fighting REGARDLESS of her lack of requests? Judging by her implied personality, she doesn't seem to be the type to shy away from a fight, even if the games she was in aren't particularly "violent".

Oh, and she's a 1st Party character, too.

Thoughts on this?

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
id except Barbara as a new series rep. she could have a very interesting moveset and it would be a pick not many people would see coming.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Sadly, it will be black and white 3. I recalled that I heard that they are doing Pokemon Black and White trilogy. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to held meloetta back for Black and White 3 release date DLC.
This is false, Gamefreak never said anything of the sort. Also, Meloetta was already released in Japan. There's really nothing left to do with Gen 5 at this point. Hoenn remakes aren't likely since the anniversary of Ruby/Sapphire's release in Japan recently happened and a special Groudon/Kyogre were given out to players of Black2/White2. Why would they have given out the cover mascots of upcoming remakes?

All signs point to Gen 6 of Pokemon being announced very soon. I have several reasons to believe so, but I won't make this post drawn-out. However, I'll make another post if anyone's interested in hearing the reasoning of this Pokemon fan...

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I think it is more likely than not Gen6 related. Gamefreak, at least to me and several others, has been trying to get through Gen5 as quickly as possible (presumably to get onto the 3DS). With the anime moving much more quickly than it usually does and getting B&W2 early compared to when we usually get second installments in Generations, it at least seems to point to that. And with no remakes planned, they really have nothing left to do with Gen5 since there's no need for a "third version(2)." Unless they're announcing a spin-off, which unless it's PokePark 3 Gamefreak wouldn't go out of their way to do, then it is Gen6. And it pains me to say that since I really want Ruby&Sapphire remakes.

I'm actually interested in hearing your reasoning, Chepe. Do have different reasons for thinking so?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Barbara would be the best idea of a playable music rep. She'd be the closest thing to having Rouge in Smash, though she lack wings.

Chepe

Smash Lord
I think it is more likely than not Gen6 related. Gamefreak, at least to me and several others, has been trying to get through Gen5 as quickly as possible (presumably to get onto the 3DS). With the anime moving much more quickly than it usually does and getting B&W2 early compared to when we usually get second installments in Generations, it at least seems to point to that. And with no remakes planned, they really have nothing left to do with Gen5 since there's no need for a "third version(2)." Unless they're announcing a spin-off, which unless it's PokePark 3 Gamefreak wouldn't go out of their way to do, then it is Gen6. And it pains me to say that since I really want Ruby&Sapphire remakes.

I'm actually interested in hearing your reasoning, Chepe. Do have different reasons for thinking so?
You mentioned some of them, but I'll post my theories based on various clues and bits of info. I'm warning you now that this will be a long post...

1) Okay, so it's known that GameFreak was one of the first companies to receive 3DS development kits from Nintendo. I believe Nintendo gave GameFreak the kits with a silent expectation of them to develop a main series Pokemon game on the 3DS soon. GameFreak seems to have been experimenting with it all these years through things like the Pokedex app.

However, GameFreak still released Black2/White2 on the DS more than a year after the 3DS was released. Notably, they included 3DS-exclusive content like the Kami Trio's Therian Formes and the Dream Radar. My theory is that these were only made to appease a Nintendo that was hesitant to allow anymore DS Pokemon games. Why do I think this? Because the coding of Black/White suggests that the Kami Trio (and Keldeo) were never planned to have new forms, while Kyurem was. There's something in Kyurem's data in those games that was also found on Rotom, Shaymin, and Giratina back in Diamond/Pearl, all of which got new forms in Platinum: http://pokebeach.com/2012/02/placeholder-for-kyurem-forme-found-in-black-and-white-coding

That bit in Kyurem's data isn't found on the Kami Trio or Keldeo, suggesting that their new forms were both conceptualized and created in the middle of development on Black2/White2. If they felt the need to make previously-unplanned content just for the 3DS, it probably means that they can't get away with any more DS games.

2) That takes me to my thoughts on Ruby/Sapphire remakes. I don't see them being made for the DS due to what I outlined above, but being the next games on the 3DS is just as unlikely in my eyes. If GameFreak was experimenting with the 3DS capabilities for the main series all these years, I can't imagine their first main foray into the 3DS being a remake because the 3DS requires a complete overhaul of the graphics, sprites, backgrounds, etc. Why would they go through all that trouble for Gen 5 games? Especially when they would become obsolete the next year with the advent of Gen 6 games on the 3DS that wouldn't be fully compatible with them. It makes far more sense in every way to release Gen 6 games first, and then potentially use the 3DS look for remakes and retain full compatibility between them. Not to mention having the full impact of 3DS capabilities on top of 100+ new Pokemon by having Gen 6 games first.

3) My last reason lies within the upcoming Genesect movie. The title was recently revealed as "ExtremeSpeed Genesect," but it's strongly implied to be an abbreviated title. As Serebii reported it:
"The sixteenth movie has been revealed to feature a shiny Genesect, showcasing the appearance it has in flight, and be called Extremespeed Genesect, with tradition dictating there will likely be an addition to the title in the Spring."

The tradition he mentioned is something that they've been doing with the movies for a while now: withholding the full title and/or details of the movie until around the February before the movie's release. This has included new Pokemon or new forms, but Serebii confirmed that the flight appearance is not a new Genesect form since the names of forms are specified a certain way in Japanese and the way Genesect flies is not referred to in that manner.

Coming back to the title, "ExtremeSpeed Genesect," it's much too short for a Japanese movie title. It's extremely likely that they're withholding the full title of the movie since it reveals something big. The last time they did this was with the Zoroark movie, first called "Ruler of Illusions: Z." When Zoroark was revealed, the Z in the title was changed to Zoroark. If the Genesect movie's full title includes the name of a Gen 6 Pokemon, it's definitely not going to be of the Munchlax sort as some theorize, but rather an important Pokemon that might fill a protagonist role against an antagonistic Genesect. Such a Pokemon could also fill a speaking role for interactions with Ash and co. since Genesect seems like it might not be entirely speech-capable (being cybernetic and all).

So there you have it. These are my reasons for believing that Gen 6 is coming, and all the recent teasing and hinting by GameFreak higher-ups as well as blacked-out merchandise related to the Genesect movie has only strengthened my belief that we'll be getting our first glimpse of the new generation of Pokemon very soon. Should Gen 6 be revealed in the next few months, we will have to rethink everything we expect for the Pokemon series in SSB4, especially when it comes to the roster.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
You mentioned some of them, but I'll post my theories based on various clues and bits of info. I'm warning you now that this will be a long post...

1) Okay, so it's known that GameFreak was one of the first companies to receive 3DS development kits from Nintendo. I believe Nintendo gave GameFreak the kits with a silent expectation of them to develop a main series Pokemon game on the 3DS soon. GameFreak seems to have been experimenting with it all these years through things like the Pokedex app.

However, GameFreak still released Black2/White2 on the DS more than a year after the 3DS was released. Notably, they included 3DS-exclusive content like the Kami Trio's Therian Formes and the Dream Radar. My theory is that these were only made to appease a Nintendo that was hesitant to allow anymore DS Pokemon games. Why do I think this? Because the coding of Black/White suggests that the Kami Trio (and Keldeo) were never planned to have new forms, while Kyurem was. There's something in Kyurem's data in those games that was also found on Rotom, Shaymin, and Giratina back in Diamond/Pearl, all of which got new forms in Platinum: http://pokebeach.com/2012/02/placeholder-for-kyurem-forme-found-in-black-and-white-coding

That bit in Kyurem's data isn't found on the Kami Trio or Keldeo, suggesting that their new forms were both conceptualized and created in the middle of development on Black2/White2. If they felt the need to make previously-unplanned content just for the 3DS, it probably means that they can't get away with any more DS games.

2) That takes me to my thoughts on Ruby/Sapphire remakes. I don't see them being made for the DS due to what I outlined above, but being the next games on the 3DS is just as unlikely in my eyes. If GameFreak was experimenting with the 3DS capabilities for the main series all these years, I can't imagine their first main foray into the 3DS being a remake because the 3DS requires a complete overhaul of the graphics, sprites, backgrounds, etc. Why would they go through all that trouble for Gen 5 games? Especially when they would become obsolete the next year with the advent of Gen 6 games on the 3DS that wouldn't be fully compatible with them. It makes far more sense in every way to release Gen 6 games first, and then potentially use the 3DS look for remakes and retain full compatibility between them. Not to mention having the full impact of 3DS capabilities on top of 100+ new Pokemon by having Gen 6 games first.

3) My last reason lies within the upcoming Genesect movie. The title was recently revealed as "ExtremeSpeed Genesect," but it's strongly implied to be an abbreviated title. As Serebii reported it:
"The sixteenth movie has been revealed to feature a shiny Genesect, showcasing the appearance it has in flight, and be called Extremespeed Genesect, with tradition dictating there will likely be an addition to the title in the Spring."

The tradition he mentioned is something that they've been doing with the movies for a while now: withholding the full title and/or details of the movie until around the February before the movie's release. This has included new Pokemon or new forms, but Serebii confirmed that the flight appearance is not a new Genesect form since the names of forms are specified a certain way in Japanese and the way Genesect flies is not referred to in that manner.

Coming back to the title, "ExtremeSpeed Genesect," it's much too short for a Japanese movie title. It's extremely likely that they're withholding the full title of the movie since it reveals something big. The last time they did this was with the Zoroark movie, first called "Ruler of Illusions: Z." When Zoroark was revealed, the Z in the title was changed to Zoroark. If the Genesect movie's full title includes the name of a Gen 6 Pokemon, it's definitely not going to be of the Munchlax sort as some theorize, but rather an important Pokemon that might fill a protagonist role against an antagonistic Genesect. Such a Pokemon could also fill a speaking role for interactions with Ash and co. since Genesect seems like it might not be entirely speech-capable (being cybernetic and all).

So there you have it. These are my reasons for believing that Gen 6 is coming, and all the recent teasing and hinting by GameFreak higher-ups as well as blacked-out merchandise related to the Genesect movie has only strengthened my belief that we'll be getting our first glimpse of the new generation of Pokemon very soon. Should Gen 6 be revealed in the next few months, we will have to rethink everything we expect for the Pokemon series in SSB4, especially when it comes to the roster.

Nice theory but is it possible that this Gen6 poke in the movie could be in Sm4sh? or it be too late i guess but damn Genesects is maybe more likely then Zoroak now.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Nice theory but is it possible that this Gen6 poke in the movie could be in Sm4sh? or it be too late i guess but damn Genesects is maybe more likely then Zoroak now.

It's hard to say. Lucario's movie came out in 2005 when Brawl was starting development, so Lucario was known for quite a while, though is game didn't release until 2006. SSB4 has been in development for anywhere between 9-11 months. It may be early enough to add the character, or it may be to late. Of course, Sakurai could get the inside scope from Game Freak. It could really go either way.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think it is safe to say Sakurai probably finalized the SSB4 roster (without clones, there's a reason they are added in the last minute) by now. Maybe we won't see a 6th gen Pokemon on the roster. It's probably too late for said Pokemon.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I've heard people talking about Jam With The Band getting a 3DS game, and it got me to thinking. While her chances may not be too terribly great, Barbara the Bat would make an interesting character, no?
She's made quite a few appearances that involve
-making music (Jam With The Band)
-magic tricks (Master of Illusion)
-teaching Europeans and Japanese how to speak English (English Training: Have Fun Improving Your Skills!)

While the original Japanese-only game in the Jam With The Band series in 2004 and her secondary appearance in Master of Illusion (being currently her only non-Brawl appearance in the States) in 2006 was unlikely to have made her worthy for Smash, the fact that the Jam With The Band sequel in 2008 (after Brawl) was not Japan-only (though still not in the States) and there is an upcoming game in the series, is it possible Sakurai could find worth in her solely to introduce a new music and illusion style of fighting REGARDLESS of her lack of requests? Judging by her implied personality, she doesn't seem to be the type to shy away from a fight, even if the games she was in aren't particularly "violent".

Oh, and she's a 1st Party character, too.

Thoughts on this?
Well to be honest, she has lots of competition compared to ATs (more requested and we're still not sure if being a 1st party's prioritizes you over 2nd parties or 3rd parties.) Also I can see Rhythm Heaven being more sensible and recognized choice for music-representing series for Sakurai. (Despite not getting a character as we're predicting.)

From what I've seen Barbara appeared in Master of Illusion as an menu guide. So far haven't seen her pulling the magic tricks herself. I can then see her being musically based in means of a moveset, but that seems to bit dumb down her moveset potential. (Illusionary tricks sounds awesome if mixed with something like that)

Her biggest obstacle so far now is that she's lowly requested as a C-list character and her series might get out-prioritized by Rhythm Heaven if looking for a music-based series.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also there is the fact that Barbara is probably one of the weirdest looking bats ever.

Don't tell me I was the only one that thought Ms. Batface the Rouge was a bulldog when I first saw her.

D

Deleted member

I think it is safe to say Sakurai probably finalized the SSB4 roster (without clones, there's a reason they are added in the last minute) by now. Maybe we won't see a 6th gen Pokemon on the roster. It's probably too late for said Pokemon.

I disagree, if Gamefreak has been working on Gen 6 for as long as we think, I think it's safe to assume they gave Sakurai the inside scoop on it long before he finished the roster. On the other hand last minute additions are not uncommon.

We've already said GF is hard to work with, so it's probable that they pressured Sakurai into adding their new Pokemon into Smash's new roster. A large part of what makes Pokemon sell so well is the diverse marketing, this is why Lucario got into Brawl. So this now begs the question. If the new Pokemon is getting it, I think it's safe to assume no Gen 5 rep will get in, but then will it be Lucario, or Mewtwo that gets in. I think that in GF's eyes Lucario is currently more important than Mewtwo.

I predict the Pokemon roster in Smash 4 will be te following:
-Pika
-PT
-Jiggs
-Lucario
-Gen 6 pkmn

Mewtwo might be DLC alongside Roy.

You may not like the idea of a Gen 6 Pokemon stealing the spotlight, but lets be reasonable now, what would you do if you were a multi-million dollar company? What sells more with the kids?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Just because I'd be used for promotional purposes, doesn't mean people will like it. Especially if it's the polar opposite of what we'd call cool.

D

Deleted member

I think if any newcomer is going to get in by advertisement, it's going to be a 6th gen Pokémon. Assuming what we do get is someone more important than a Munchlax-like Pokémon, I could see the Pokémon Company asking Sakurai to add the 6th gen mascot to the roster in order to promote the Pokémon for the 6th gen especially since if the 6th gen mascot is revealed soon that it's easy to assess that the Pokémon Company already had the Pokémon created a long time ago.

This would make a six slot situation plausible to occur; Brawl roster + Mewtwo and a 6th gen Pokémon.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'll just say it YET AGAIN that people are jumping onto the Gen 6 bandwagon way too early and are setting themselves up for disappointment.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You may not like the idea of a Gen 6 Pokemon stealing the spotlight, but lets be reasonable now, what would you do if you were a multi-million dollar company? What sells more with the kids?
Smash Brothers isn't an advertising platform, despite what people believe. The reason we have Lucario in the first place is because he was really popular. Sakurai wont add the 6th gen Pokemon unless he thinks people will like it.

I'll just say it YET AGAIN that people are jumping onto the Gen 6 bandwagon way too early and are setting themselves up for disappointment.
Maybe, but seeing as they come out ever 4 years, and B/W came out in 2010, it's not unlikely to hear something. Of course, people are going to believe what they want.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
And I'll say it yet again: expecting eight Pokemon characters in a game that will be taken "in a new direction" from roster expansion is just begging for disappointment.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I doubt 6th Gen will have any impact on smash by then because they either won't be out by Smash4 or won't have any time to actually put a character that recent into the roster. Besides, of all games, Pokemon doesn't need Smash to advertise their games as it's universally played anyways.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
And I'll say it yet again: expecting eight Pokemon characters in a game that will be taken "in a new direction" from roster expansion is just begging for disappointment.

It's not going an a new direction. Sakurai always de-emphasize characters during development because he sees the game as more than that. He did the same with Brawl and added a ton of new characters.

Pokemon is one of those series that always had a lot of new characters and is always really popular. It's going to have more characters than most of the series.

Just noticed something. The Diddy Kong Racing Wii U rumor I posted earlier had the wrong link. If anyone missed it, here it is.

This came out in December and there was a similar rumor on GameFAQs a few months prior. There was also a rumor that Nintendo was in talks with Rare over IPs. It was thought to be bogus, but it may be likely they were going after DKR characters.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
By the way for those who don't know, Monster Games is a company that specializes in racing games such as Excite Truck and Viper Racing. Logically it would make sense that they would be working on a racing game like Diddy Kong Racing, but at the same time don't believe it until it actually happens.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon gen 6 is going to be cutting it close if one does get in. SSB4 is still years away, and gen 6 is atleast a year & a half away as well (the games not individual Pokemon leaks)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I disagree, if Gamefreak has been working on Gen 6 for as long as we think, I think it's safe to assume they gave Sakurai the inside scoop on it long before he finished the roster. On the other hand last minute additions are not uncommon.

We've already said GF is hard to work with, so it's probable that they pressured Sakurai into adding their new Pokemon into Smash's new roster. A large part of what makes Pokemon sell so well is the diverse marketing, this is why Lucario got into Brawl. So this now begs the question. If the new Pokemon is getting it, I think it's safe to assume no Gen 5 rep will get in, but then will it be Lucario, or Mewtwo that gets in. I think that in GF's eyes Lucario is currently more important than Mewtwo.

I predict the Pokemon roster in Smash 4 will be te following:
-Pika
-PT
-Jiggs
-Lucario
-Gen 6 pkmn

Mewtwo might be DLC alongside Roy.

I rather it go (if i had to exclude mewtwo)

Pika
PT
Jiggs
*Charizard* ~ Gen 3 or 5 Rep
Gen6 Rep

imI dunno why just dont want Lucario to return..even though he was my main alongsids bowser in brawl...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Smash Brothers isn't an advertising platform, despite what people believe. The reason we have Lucario in the first place is because he was really popular. Sakurai wont add the 6th gen Pokemon unless he thinks people will like it.

Well if its down to popularity and recognition then Mewtwo should have been in brawl..or He absoultly has to be in Sm4sh then we could safely assume he really was intended to be in brawl in da 1st place...

I rather it go (if i had to exclude mewtwo)

Pika
PT
Jiggs
*Charizard* ~ Gen 3 or 5 Rep
Gen6 Rep

imI dunno why just dont want Lucario to return..even though he was my main alongsids bowser in brawl...

I think it should be:

-Pikachu
-Jigglypuff
-2nd Gen Trainer w/ Chikorita, Quilava, & Feraligatr
-Zoroark
-Gen 6 Pokemon

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Interesting stuff over the last 18 or so pages

-new eeveelution awesome

if we do get a new gen 6 revealed, it's got to be a lucario level reveal

I think it should be

Pika
Jiggs
PT gen 1
Mewtwo
Lucario

mainly because zoaroak hasn't reached a lucario popularity or a mewtwo importants

anyone who thinks a new PT is gonna replace red is setting themselves up for disappointment

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
for Pokemon im more partial towards

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer gen 1
Lucario
Zoroark

I seriously dont feel the need to have Mewtwo back

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
for Pokemon im more partial towards

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer gen 1
Lucario
Zoroark

I seriously dont feel the need to have Mewtwo back

Mewtwo>649 (is it?) pokes

but Magikarp is #1

You all know Lambs will be lead to slaughter if Mewtwo doesnt return ''Insert new solo poke rep here'' will get bashed to enternity AGAIN! lol but this time it would be completely stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom