• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
yep he's also been working on Smash since the beggining it looks like

@Scoliosis Jones no one claims to be the creater of Zoroark but Sugimori was the leading character designer for Black and White so maybe
He let someone create the trash that is trubbish

:phone:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
That seems reasonable i like the intiative.

But hey i gotta good question what series outta these in your opnion deserves another rep the most (you have to chose one even if you dont wanna)
and i dont mean replacements im talking additional add ons from brawls 35.

Mario
LoZ
Pokemon.

I agree with DragonSuperNintendo. These are some of the most legendary series in history and they all deserve equal representation on the roster.

And as much as I would like to see more slots for all series as well as the inclusion of many new series, Sakurai did state that the roster has reached its limit. So unfortunately my initial stances are still going to revolve around a roster of 40 slots. (I do have a secondary roster that consists of 45 however.)

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
I agree with DragonSuperNintendo. These are some of the most legendary series in history and they all deserve equal representation on the roster.

And as much as I would like to see more slots for all series as well as the inclusion of many new series, Sakurai did state that the roster has reached its limit. So unfortunately my initial stances are still going to revolve around a roster of 40 slots. (I do have a secondary roster that consists of 45 however.)
I seriously doubt we are only gonna get 3 characters, and while Pokemon has many characters, Mario's got about 3 or 4 characters you can add while Zelda has one shots and the hated tingle, so I can see Pokemon with 6 slots, Mario with 5 and Zelda gets 4

D

Deleted member

If there's going to be five slots, it will most likely (and should) be:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokémon Trainer
Mewtwo (returnee)
Lucario

Also, when Sakurai stated the roster has reached its limit, he was probably referring to SSB4's roster, not Brawl's. Still think that we'll get 47-56 characters (transformation included).

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
If there's going to be five slots, it will most likely (and should) be:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokémon Trainer
Mewtwo (returnee)
Lucario

Also, when Sakurai stated the roster has reached its limit, he was referring to SSB4's roster, not Brawl's. Still think that we'll get 47-56 characters (transformation included).
Now perhaps I interpreted this completely wrong: http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/03/super-smash-bros-roster-has-hit-the-limit-of-whats-feasible/
Also @Lobo: I also think the probability that not a single cut made to the Brawl roster is also extremely unlikely.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ultimately realisticly i feel 100/ the same as long as Mewtwo returns i wouldnt care at all really what happens Lucario stay or leave etc.

But if you think about it if the Original 8 or 12 Smashers are Stickied in to every smash i understand but if Jigglys still bootable not be mean but truth is Jiggly and Mewtwo have had there spot like back when the anime and movies were fresh and everyone was a pokeholic in the team rocket days BUT... Mewtwo is more relevant then Jiggly right now and since the past 5 or so years Mewtwo has made more fame either it be cameos or marketing or what ever.

Jigglys a char that alotta people want scrapped when i look at other sites/forums wishlist cutlist etc: but i would miss her no doubt..just the funny and cuteness like the ultimate funny underdog char.

But chars that if they get scrapped i wouldnt give a damn what so ever is

Ice Climbers
R.O.B

but them beimg retro's gives em some sorta godly power apparently..

But Sakurai did say he loves adding retros and will continue in his eyes they probly coexist with 1st party in terms of priority and importance to get in.

Who knows i gotta feeling that Sm4sh may have the most Retro Newcomers of all Smash games but imo i see retro's are best limited..thats a key to them being special like 3rd parties but we cant has like..

R.O.B
G&W
Ice climbers
Little Mac (hes retro right?)
Takamaru (is he retro too? if hes not ignore him)
Mach Rider
?????
????

If they decide to keep all brawl's 35.. it be like..come on..i know you gotta respect the dead the all-fathers but living in the past much?

Expecially when the rosters not gonna expand much this time around..you get my point?

I never wanna see G&W cut though i like him.

Also i hope they dont add more twin chars like ice climbers even though there could be a slew of em that could be possible it would feel really gay like

Ice climbers
Dixy and diddy combined..
Minun and plusle
Sonic and tails...

And im sure theres a few more i just cant think right now..

Yh long post with all my main points in em Happy new year sm4sh peeps!!

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Also, when Sakurai stated the roster has reached its limit, he was probably referring to SSB4's roster, not Brawl's. Still think that we'll get 47-56 characters (transformation included).
I kept hearing about that but I swore that Sakurai were referring to Brawl. Please link me to original source so I can read it for myself. I know I did long time ago but I forget how it stated.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
My current concision on the whole retro character thing is that it should be limited to create a unique vibe of sorts. Again, like your meeting a new friend for some but also being reintroduced by others.

Sakurai did say there would be a lot of newcomers, so unless they cut a ton of the Brawl roster the roster will improve past that.

I see 45-48.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
What we do knows is that new characters are coming, a retro character is going to be revived, third party content will be in limited supply as usual, and that new characters will not be a high priority and there will instead be a focus on balance.

Source on that. I haven't heard anything about Sakurai claiming that.
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/...os-4-regarding-new-characters-and-techniques/

"Magic Box: Masahiro Sakurai from HAL Laboratory, producer of Kirby and Smash Bros. series had an hour of keynote speech at CEDEC developer conference, he mentioned that in the upcoming Smash Bros title, all characters will have new skills, there are many new characters, and it is fun to work on these features."

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/...os-4-regarding-new-characters-and-techniques/

"Magic Box: Masahiro Sakurai from HAL Laboratory, producer of Kirby and Smash Bros. series had an hour of keynote speech at CEDEC developer conference, he mentioned that in the upcoming Smash Bros title, all characters will have new skills, there are many new characters, and it is fun to work on these features."
I'm sorry but it was pretty bad translation. Here is correct translation.

Actually, as most had expected, Sakurai's speech was mostly a retrospective of his history in the game industry. He did manage to slip in mention of the new Smash Bros., though. As quoted at Famitsu.com, Sakurai mentioned the new title just once, saying "It's fun making new skills for new characters."

Sorry to damp your dream. it was very bad translation.

Even if so, I still see it quite a bit. He said that 50 would be the highest he would ever go. In the 40s, namely 45-48, sounds very likely.

Best way to get a good amount of newcomers in the game. We should expect at least as many as what Brawl got AT LEAST.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Even if so, I still see it quite a bit. He said that 50 would be the highest he would ever go. In the 40s, namely 45-48, sounds very likely.

Best way to get a good amount of newcomers in the game. We should expect at least as many as what Brawl got AT LEAST.
I always want to play it safe for myself, so I would predict 42-45 characters for SSB4.

D

Deleted member

@IntelliHeath1: From here.
Nintendo Power: With so much content packed into the previous Smash Bros. games, what difficulties do you encounter when creating a new one?

Sakurai: It isn't a matter of "if the next game has 50 characters, that'll be enough." There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance, and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and make them feel distinctive... In terms of quantity, we've probably already reached the limit of what's feasible. I think a change of direction might be what's needed.
At the time Sakurai stated this, SSB4 was in the first few months of development, at the time when the roster was being decided. Had he said before back before development began, then yeah, I would have definitely agreed on a 39-44 character roster being most likely, but this was when development was starting and it's likely that the roster for SSB4 has been mostly finalized by the time he stated this.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I used to think a new Pokemon was mandatory because they would bring a new moveset to the table. But if Mewtwo came back with a new moveset instead, it's essentially gaining a newcomer and a veteran for the price of one. He's not a 'new guy,' per se, but let's be honest: he's far more popular now than whatever new character the Pokemon Company could shell out, and undoubtedly much cooler to boot.

The thing that gets me that is SOOO bloody damn remarkable about Mewtwo is these points and please tellme if anyone in Smash history and has filled these points to because i swearrr no ond has

Was added in Mewtwo and Lovedd by everyone everyone jaws dropped when mewtwo was discovered in melee. Hate to say it but no denying ''HE SUCKED!!''

Should Have been be abit faster
Should Have been considerably more heavier
Should have been Considerably more powerfull
Should have had better Smashes and Side (B) and down (B)

Face facts thats ALOTT of negatives he sucked well compared to other chars in melee.

Thennnn..Got Scrapped/Replaced/Cut/Removed what ever then..the holy appocolaypse of bashing flaming backlash goverment mule that was Sakurai.

Goes to Smashboards and sees mewtwo being the highest voted char to RETURN! more then the most wanted/popular new chars

Beating the like off

Yours truly Ridley
All Hail King K.Rool
Megaman
Waluigi
Bowser J.R
Paper Mario
Krystal
Issac
Shulk

No doubt there the hottest Sm4sg Chars and a to make it sound more realistic (forgive me mewtwo its a example..)

They all got beaten by some crappy weak 3/4 Tail whip moveset has been!

My god bo denying that is Truly Remarkable..

Hey guys you know when everyone said the worlds gonna end in December 2012 but yet we still here?

Errr..ya i think theres a better chance of the world ending on the day everyone finds out Mewtwo didnt return to Sm4sh xD well Sakurai's world is over that is..

All Hail Mewtwo the most powerfull Pokemon of all.

(**** you darkrai/arceus..lol)

I always want to play it safe for myself, so I would predict 42-45 characters for SSB4.
Well, that is a good guess I assume.

The original had 12, Melee had 25, and Brawl had 35.

Somewhere in the 40s is a guarantees now. But mid to high 40s sounds like a good number as well.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
50 is actually just a general number for speculation purposes, for an actual number wasn't specified. 50 is the magical number at this point since we're guaranteed to get at least 10 new characters.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
@IntelliHeath1: From here.At the time Sakurai stated this, SSB4 was in the first few months of development, at the time when the roster was being decided. Had he said before back before development began, then yeah, I would have definitely agreed on a 39-44 character roster being most likely, but this was when development was starting and it's likely that the roster for SSB4 has been mostly finalized by the time he stated this.
Thanks. It does sound like he were talking about SSB4, but I'm concerned that it might be something lost in translation if Sakurai meant to talk about Brawl. I guess it will be wait and see game for me. I am trying to contain my hype for this game because I burned myself pretty bad for Brawl.

Well, that is a good guess I assume.

The original had 12, Melee had 25, and Brawl had 35.

Somewhere in the 40s is a guarantees now. But mid to high 40s sounds like a good number as well.
more than 40 are pretty much guaranteed.

50 is actually just a general number for speculation purposes, for an actual number wasn't specified. 50 is the magical number at this point since we're guaranteed to get at least 10 new characters.
Yeah, it's possible but I'm worried who would get cut from Brawl to SM4SH. Again, I don't want to get riled up again just for 50 characters. I really want 50 characters to happens but chance of that happening is very low.

D

Deleted member

@DragonSniperNintendo: I'd suggest including transformation when including characters. Melee had 26 when including transformation and 39 in Brawl when including transformations. Sakurai uses transformation when discussing characters as well.

@DragonSniperNintendo: I'd suggest including transformation when including characters. Melee had 26 when including transformation and 39 in Brawl when including transformations. Sakurai uses transformation when discussing characters as well.
I knew about those but just didn't say it. I was refering to actual roster spots.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also before anyone mentions it, there isn't a pattern for character selection.

People may say so, but it can easily be defied.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Hmm..I was speculating about this a few night back but i tried a different method how i done it was i only countered the Additional Slots.

Its abit complicated i will explain.

I didnt count transformations basicly because Sheik never got scrapped and i highly Doubt ZSS will reguardless of whst happens to Metroids Reps in Sm4sh.

Nor did i count replacements for series like IE: Ike replacing Roy but Still Fire emblem having 2 Reps in Melee and Brawl

I personally think its a more cunning and maybe more better way of predicting

Sooo it goes like THIS!

SMASH64 (0) > Because all the chars made it into melee

MELEE:

Zelda/Sheik
Peach
Bowser
Marth
Roy

Pichu
Ganondorf
D.R Mario
Falco
G&W
Ice Climbers

Young Link
*Mewtwo*

Ok Thats (13) in Total for Melee And in this case there all Newcomers Because Melee expanded on Smash64

BRAWL:

Diddy Kong
Wario
Pit
R.O.B
Metaknight
Dedede
Olimar
Wolf
Lucas
Snake
Sonic

Ok Brawl is (11)

Hmmm....

So my Conclusion is That

Going by my fairy Sm4sh ''Could have'' 11-13 New Characters With No Series losing there ammount of playable chars but Veterans could be replaced.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There's absolutely no pattern there. You don't get bragging rights. What you are saying is entirely incorrect. No patterns can be made to be foolproof, since no such pattern exists.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
theres no pattern there at all man.
I dont think you lot understand it and i dont think i can even explain it to you guys..

But i do agree what you lot saying that there could be no pattern but the only way to be certain of thatt is wait to Sm4sh comes out.

The roster number and reps will tell us everything because there hasent been enough smashes for there to be a legit formula thats if there is one..we dont know if veterans can rise from the dead and fight again because Melee took all of Smash64's char then some melee Chars got Scrapped/Replaced in brawl and we dont know if they will or most importantly CAN return untill we wait for Sm4sh.

But come on guys theres rules for everything even Sakurai must follow some sorta rules even if there his own!

Because if there was no Rules at all like someone else stated before somewhere else saying that the roster will be just full of

Mario
LoZ
Pokemon...

Sm4sh will give us answers and we will truly be have enough past installments to look back and pretty much see what Sakurai has been doing and why he has been doing it since Smash64

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Nobody said there wasn't rules, but there isn't a pattern.

Simply put, relying on a pattern is not reliable since it can be easily destroyed with the next installment. However there are still rules, for example we are not going to get flooded with too many Mario or Pokemon characters and we are not expecting a boatload of third party characters.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I'm a bit late:glare:but here's my prediction.

Stays:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Wario
Samus/ZSS
Ice Climbers
Pit
R.O.B.
Mr. Game and Watch
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Olimar
Captain Falcon
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Marth
Ness
Lucas(kinda; I'll explain later.)

Leaves:
Sonic
Snake
This is because Snake was requested for Melee or Brawl, it didn't matter when. But he has little to no chance of returning. Sonic already has a spinoff series with Mario, which is what stopped Mario from being in SaASR.

Sheik
Toon Link
Sheik is most likely going to be replaced by Impa, but don't quote me on that. Toon Link's days are numbered, with his last game having came out last year.

Pokemon Trainer(Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard)
Lucario
Pokemon Trainer was just filler to me, like Wolf and Jigglypuff. He's also most likely going to be replaced by a 2nd, 3rd, or 5th gen trainer. Lucario was the flavor of the month; he's obviously not anymore.

Ike
Ike is not the new Lord, thereby he recieves the axe.:awesome:
(Fire Emblem joke. Laugh with me.)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I actually think Sonic has a solid chance of returning i hope he does because his moveset sucked im brawl it was rushed so it wasent full sonic potential not even half..

As for Snake..should be cut for Megaman.

Im almost certain Snake wont return.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Out of curiosity, can anyone make an argument for cutting/replacing a character that's not subjective or revolves around adding someone new because they're more recent? Ignoring the time constraints and priority of course.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The only reason to cut a character is if copyright complications came up, like hypothetically Banjo being in Super Smash Bros. but being cut out in Super Smash Bros. Melee onward due to Rare being bought out by Microsoft.

Of course this is discounting the time constraints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom