• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If I had to pick 4 characters form the third party side of thing, I guess I'd go with the generic route of Sonic, Snake, Mega Man, and Pac-man.

Personally unlike several people here, I would actually like to see Pac-man if we get Mega Man involved. I kinda want a proper appearance of the two after the bull that was pulled in Street Fighter x Tekken. In fact I'd say that Mega Man, Pac-man, Mario, and Sonic would create this square of iconic faces that'd we probably would never see ever again. I mean they have meet each other before in several iterations of varies media, but never all together under one roof.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If I had to pick 4 characters form the third party side of thing, I guess I'd go with the generic route of Sonic, Snake, Mega Man, and Pac-man.

Personally unlike several people here, I would actually like to see Pac-man if we get Mega Man involved. I kinda want a proper appearance of the two after the bull that was pulled in Street Fighter x Tekken. In fact I'd say that Mega Man, Pac-man, Mario, and Sonic would create this square of iconic faces that'd we probably would never see ever again. I mean they have meet each other before in several iterations of varies media, but never all together under one roof.
I could envision the bolded portion dramatically narrated as part of a Smash trailer.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I could envision the bolded portion dramatically narrated as part of a Smash trailer.
Like in a vein to Don LaFontaine?

"In a world, where only the strongest survive. Many faces across the globe come together to battle to the death, but only one may claim the title of Ultimate Warrior. A plumber, hedgehog, robot, and yellow head must settle their differences... to survive. With the power of love, strength, and wisdom they will discover each other and the truth behind the conspiracy of the very war they've fought. Will they triumph, or get their last Game Over?"

My 3rd Party choices are:

-Sonic
-Travis Touchdown
-Mega-Man
-Simon Belmont

And IF there had to be a 5th, I would say either Lloyd Irving, Rayman, or Bomberman.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
if i could only choose 4 3rd partys

it would pretty much be the mascots to the respective company
Sonic
Pac Man
Megaman
and Cooking Mama:awesome:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

The generic route is a dream i've had since i was young. My favorite retro arcade character (Pac-Man), Favorite Console heroes (Megaman and Mario), and the rival character that i have a love/hate relationship with. (Sonic)

Now Snake is truly the odd one out. lol

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
In my opinion, a third party character should be designed to be both comparable and contractible when related to Nintendo's usual atmosphere and be iconic to Nintendo's history.

Sonic is probably the best example of this. Sonic the Hedgehog is famous for being the character that for a while actually bested Mario, and was the mascot for Nintendo's former rival Sega. After Sega made a lot of mistakes during the Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast eras, Sega became independent and became some sort of companion to Nintendo. Sonic in Super Smash Bros. fits into the universe because of the former rivalry between Sega and Nintendo, but at the same time Sonic the Hedgehog stood out among the crowd for the totally radical nature which included varies mocking quotes, break dancing, and the cheesy rock music.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace

I agreed. (10characters)

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
I'm a bit late:glare:but here's my prediction.

Stays:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Wario
Samus/ZSS
Ice Climbers
Pit
R.O.B.
Mr. Game and Watch
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Olimar
Captain Falcon
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Marth
Ness
Lucas(kinda; I'll explain later.)

Leaves:
Sonic
Snake
This is because Snake was requested for Melee or Brawl, it didn't matter when. But he has little to no chance of returning. Sonic already has a spinoff series with Mario, which is what stopped Mario from being in SaASR.

Sheik
Toon Link
Sheik is most likely going to be replaced by Impa, but don't quote me on that. Toon Link's days are numbered, with his last game having came out last year.

Pokemon Trainer(Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard)
Lucario
Pokemon Trainer was just filler to me, like Wolf and Jigglypuff. He's also most likely going to be replaced by a 2nd, 3rd, or 5th gen trainer. Lucario was the flavor of the month; he's obviously not anymore.

Ike
Ike is not the new Lord, thereby he recieves the axe.:awesome:
(Fire Emblem joke. Laugh with me.)
1. Sheik has been around since melee and is part of a unique fighting style doubt she gets cut
2. Sakurai likes kid links and considers him the true link, doubt he gets cut
3. PT was going to be implemented in melee, not to mention he's got the most popular Pokemon so you can argue it, but I think your just setting yourself up for disappointment

Ike and Lucario are only ones I can see being cut

I still don't think that zoaroak has reached the same popularity as lucario did (not sure about chrom)

:phone:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
1. Sheik has been around since melee and is part of a unique fighting style doubt she gets cut
2. Sakurai likes kid links and considers him the true link, doubt he gets cut
3. PT was going to be implemented in melee, not to mention he's got the most popular Pokemon so you can argue it, but I think your just setting yourself up for disappointment

Ike and Lucario are only ones I can see being cut

I still don't think that zoaroak has reached the same popularity as lucario did (not sure about chrom)

Mehh..im starting to not give a damn about Zoroak..
Genesect & Blazekin > Zoroak
Mewtwo > All

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You can get a free Zorua in Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2, so it shouldn't be a hassle to get a Zoroark. Alternatively you can simply get it from a friend since they can easily be obtainable through breeding.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That;s actually a shame because zorua was my go to pokemon for trading for any pokemon I wanted

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
You can get a free Zorua in Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2, so it shouldn't be a hassle to get a Zoroark. Alternatively you can simply get it from a friend since they can easily be obtainable through breeding.
But I don't have b2 or w2 and a wi-fi the ds can't access:urg:
I'll have to check with my friend

Edit: Happy New Year everybody

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
50 is actually just a general number for speculation purposes, for an actual number wasn't specified. 50 is the magical number at this point since we're guaranteed to get at least 10 new characters.
10? I'd say at least 12.

Also before anyone mentions it, there isn't a pattern for character selection.

People may say so, but it can easily be defied.
Nobody said there wasn't rules, but there isn't a pattern.

Simply put, relying on a pattern is not reliable since it can be easily destroyed with the next installment. However there are still rules, for example we are not going to get flooded with too many Mario or Pokemon characters and we are not expecting a boatload of third party characters.
No, there are patterns. Saying their aren't patterns is just as bad as looking all over for them. Gotta find a middle ground.

You do know the 3rd party cap is likely to be higher than two in SSB4, right? Logically both Snake and Mega Man could hypothetically exist together.

Plus, what proof is there that Snake won't return? Sakurai and Kojima still seem to be friends, MGS has appeared on a Nintendo plat after Brawl, Snake is still a popular character, and last time I checked Konami still likes money.
The Cap will not be higher. it's a faulty assumption because your assuming Sonic and Snake will come back at all and that Sakurai will pile on more third party characters. Neither are likely.

First, guest characters never return. Even a game like Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing which had a guest character (Banjo) didn't return despite having more guest characters (Wreck-it-Ralph and that one Nascar racer). Soul Caliber has guest all the time, all of which never return. This includes Heihachi who Namco even owns. Part of being a guest is that you are a guest. You not part of the main cast and your there because it's interesting. With a guy who has severely limited guest characters (with Sonic scraping by at the end despite being the most popular character ever), I don't he would load up the roster with third party characters. Heck, it's not unreasonable to think that they wouldn't even do them at all.

Basically, Sakurai is not one to stuff the game with guest like other games do so 4 is very unlikely. For the record, common knowledge for Brawl was that there would be 3 third party characters.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think 12 is the magical number.

SSB - 12 slots (12 x 1 = 12)
Melee - 25 slots (12 x 2 = 24 + 1 = 25)
Brawl - 35 slots (12 x 3 = 36 - 1 = 35)
SSB4 - ~48 slots (12 x 4 = 48 but will there be exactly 48 slots? We don't know but I think it is a good guesstimate)

Personally, I would be happier with Simon Belmont instead of Snake. I had fun playing as Snake in Brawl but I'd like another Konami character in SSB4 and I think Simon Belmont is an excellent choice. Several Nintendo Castlevania games usually feature Simon Belmont as a playable character, unlike Playstation Castlevania games.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord

That's more or less what I'd want, as well. All four characters are well-regarded and important to video game history in general and all four have appeared on Nintendo consoles (and Mega Man and sort-of Snake actually debuted on them).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The Cap will not be higher. it's a faulty assumption because your assuming Sonic and Snake will come back at all and that Sakurai will pile on more third party characters. Neither are likely.

First, guest characters never return. Even a game like Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing which had a guest character (Banjo) didn't return despite having more guest characters (Wreck-it-Ralph and that one Nascar racer). Soul Caliber has guest all the time, all of which never return. This includes Heihachi who Namco even owns. Part of being a guest is that you are a guest. You not part of the main cast and your there because it's interesting. With a guy who has severely limited guest characters (with Sonic scraping by at the end despite being the most popular character ever), I don't he would load up the roster with third party characters. Heck, it's not unreasonable to think that they wouldn't even do them at all.

Basically, Sakurai is not one to stuff the game with guest like other games do so 4 is very unlikely. For the record, common knowledge for Brawl was that there would be 3 third party characters.
Aren't you always saying how Smash isn't/shouldn't be like other fighters? Not to mention that Sakurai actually liked how Snake and Sonic turned out and Konami and SEGA still like money. It's entirely likely that he'll make the effort to bring them back.

In addition, say that we get at most four third party newcomers. For arguments sake, Sonic, Snake, Mega Man, and Pac Man. Assuming there will be about 50 characters, the third parties would only be about 8% of the roster, at most. The other 92% would consist of first and second party franchise characters. Considering three is even more likely than four, that's even less than 8%, only being about 6% of the entire roster. I highly doubt that 6-8% of the roster is "stuffing the game" with them...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mega Man (Capcom)
Simon Belmont (Konami)
Pac-Man (Namco)
Slime (Square Enix)

I could live with this even without Sonic and Snake.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Aren't you always saying how Smash isn't/shouldn't be like other fighters? Not to mention that Sakurai actually liked how Snake and Sonic turned out and Konami and SEGA still like money. It's entirely likely that he'll make the effort to bring them back.
You misunderstand. I say that it shouldn't be like other fighters because they appeal too much to a small hardcore fanbase and not to a greater majority. Were that not the case, I wouldn't say that.

Guest characters not coming back are expected. A big thing people forget is the integrity of the game. If Saklurai would keep throwing in third party characters for the sake of it, you'd have a lot of out of place characters. Additionally, the "fun" of these characters would grow old quickly. They age like milk. Snake was cool because he was different. He will not be liked a second time.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yet again, did anyone actually complain about Super Smash Bros. Melee being way too hard? Seriously did ANYONE ANYWHERE actually state in bold black ink that Super Smash Bros. Melee was not accessible at all and it was way too brutal to actually learn and were thankful that Super Smash Bros. Brawl pretty much watered down everything?

From what I've read, it's pretty much inverted actually. Even the casual side of things disliked how Super Smash Bros. Brawl turned out.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Out of place? Sonic and Snake did not seem out of place at all in Brawl. They made them work. I'm not advocating going overboard. No, not at all. The two that I would personally advocate would arguably fit in better than they would, and that's saying something, what with the long history that Mega Man has had on Nintendo systems, and Pac Man being Miyamoto's favorite video game character.

And the last part about Snake is entirely subjective. Can't the same be said for all veterans? I don't see what makes Snake so unlikable a second time around...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If anyone from Konami is going to be in (as much as I would personally like Sparkster the Rocket Knight), it's Snake. Kojima is buddy-buddy with Sakurai. That's the reason that Snake got in, and the reason that he will likely return in my opinion.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Personally I would of liked Simon Belmont (or any of the Belmont's) more so then Snake if we had the choice of a Konami character of any sorts, mainly because Castlevania would be the more appropriate franchise for a Nintendo crossover and I kinda would of liked the more gothic/horror theme. But at the same time Snake is perfectly fine too from the perspective of surprise and humor.

(I kinda wished Sonic was first revealed instead of Snake sometimes)

D

Deleted member

Since it's limited to 4, by logic, I'd go with Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.

Though if I could choose anyone I want, I would have Agumon instead of Pac-Man, and as much flak I'd get for this, Wreck-It Ralph instead of Mega Man. He technically is elligible due to the Fix-It Felix Jr. arcade cabinet coming out months before the movie.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd go for Sonic, Megaman, and Pac Man

If I'd want one from Konami, I'd go for Bomberman...since they technically own him now. Kinda. Even though I don't believe he'll ever resurface...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
and as much flak I'd get for this, Wreck-It Ralph instead of Mega Man. He technically is elligible due to the Fix-It Felix Jr. arcade cabinet coming out months before the movie.
So wait, Sora is not eligible because he is owned by Disney, but Wreck-it Ralph is eligible despite being owned by Disney?

I smell some sort of double standard here...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not that he's not eligible, but Sora being in would likely result in many Disney references, as it is a part of the game itself. With Ralph, he is a video game character with no ties to other Disney characters, so I think it would be less of a problem.

Just the way I see it.

D

Deleted member

So wait, Sora is not eligible because he is owned by Disney, but Wreck-it Ralph is eligible despite being owned by Disney?

I smell some sort of double standard here...
It's not that he's inelligible. It's that Disney is anal about their characters.
Same applies to Ralph, only Ralph is not ghey like Sora and would be frigging sweet to have in Smash. :troll:

It's like this:
Characters like Mickey Mouse and Simba debuted within their animations. They are inelligible by Sakurai's ruling.
Characters like Sora and Wreck-It Ralph debuted within video games, Kingdom Hearts for Sora, Fix-It Felix Jr. for Ralph. They are elligible by Sakurai's ruling.
However, all of them are owned by Disney, making even the elligible ones unlikely unless Disney makes an exception for them (which is quite possible, given that both Sora and Ralph are no strangers to video game violence, Ralph especially).

EDIT: And when I say possible, I don't mean it's likely. Just that it CAN happen.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You guys know Disney doesn't allow their characters in fighting games.

Dissidia was suppose to be a Kingdom Hearts fighting game, and was designed as such, but Disney wouldn't allow their characters in it specifically because it was a fighting game

They feel fighting gives their characters too much of a violent view

D

Deleted member

You do know I covered that issue, right?

However, all of them are owned by Disney, making even the elligible ones unlikely unless Disney makes an exception for them (which is quite possible, given that both Sora and Ralph are no strangers to video game violence, Ralph especially).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I thought the background information on Dissidia was important to add

Also the fact Disney didn't make an exception for Sora in the past

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's kinda ironic that Disney wouldn't like any violence with their characters, considering that Disney got away with a lot of really dark imagery over the years.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's kinda ironic considering that Disney gets away with a lot of really dark imagery over the years.
Case in point: The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Great movie, but the G rating is stretching it...quite a lot.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hunchback is a movie that was almost good, but ruined by the gargoyles.

It would have been more interesting if the gargoyles turned out to be "imaginary friends" or the likes, only existing in Frodo's head

Of course, Hellfire is still one of the best, if not the best, Disney villain song

D

Deleted member

I thought the background information on Dissidia was important to add

Also the fact Disney didn't make an exception for Sora in the past

Except that a non-Final Fantasy canon character like Sora would only work for a Kingdom Hearts fighting game, not a fighting game exclusively for Final Fantasy continuity.
The only way that a KH fighting game can possibly be done is if it only incorporated the OCs and possibly a few FF reps, even though they've been severely downplayed as of late.
That's taking a big chunk out of KH, the Disney Universe aspect, so what would be the point of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom