• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
EDIT: Personally I can't see an AW character getting in. Unlike FE characters, they don't actually fight. Then again, I've only played Days of Ruin.
What if an AW character fought like Peacock?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Its really exciting for me since I may be just a few months away from Ridley finally being confirmed as a playable character within Smash Bros.
Which is why I'll be feeling very miserable and sorry for you (and Oasis) if they won't add Ridley at THIS point.
It'd seriously break my heart to see fans THIS dedicated to still not be called back from the makers. I mean it, I don't wish to see you guys getting heartbroken, knowing it could just mean that Nintendo just doesn't give a damn about us following their series But Nintendo's not SEGA, after all... (-ú_ù-)

I have kinda hard time wondering what I wish to see in Smash Bros 4. To be honest, I think in means of regularly wanted (and not going-against-the-odds newcomers), I have mostly everyone I can ask for: Wario, Meta-Knight, Diddy Kong, Peach, Yoshi, Jigglypuff and King Dedede (to some degree). Pikachu I'm not a huge fan of, but he's kickass and I like to use him in Smash Bros.
Some of the new faves in the series I got to meet through Smash Bros (Kirby especially, then Ness and Pit).

Toad I support due the fact that I always saw him as the part of "Original 4" of Mario when I was a child. SMB2 was one of my first Mario-games I had ever played in my life (next to Dr.Mario and then Super Mario 64) and Toad was my second fave character in it next to Peach. After that came some exposing to Super Mario Bros-cartoons, further enchanting on my mentality of seeing Toad in this light.
In recent years I've also played SMBX, which had Toad as a playable, and it actually restored some of my fondness to him. He was amazing and still incharacter in that game. I really wished to see him in next Smash Bros with all these reasons.

Dixie again I'm still waiting to see due the fact that DKC3 was one of my childhood games as well, along with it contributing to the fact that her game's world really reminds of my own, being based partially in Scandinavian regions. I think she's one of my very personal and passionately awaited newcomers.
(-lul-)

Lastly Palutena I want to see in Smash Bros is mostly because her great character overall. (Witty, but gentle, or time to time... not.)
I think I don't care too much how she'd be like in the game, I think I just like her so much and would be thrilled to play as her in Smash Bros.

At this point I have little left to ask to Smash Bros which I can see likely to be added (that is, excluding the C-list protagonists), and only one of them does have almost nothing going against her: Toad, Dixie and Palutena. I personally think I would have dropped following Smash Bros after Brawl if it wasn't for the fact that during development of Brawl I played Stafy 3 in means of trying to experience Wario's quest appearance. Unexpectedly I fell in love with the main character instead, and decided to play his game to the end. (-ivi);;

I was really wanting to see Starfy being featured in Smash (hoping he'd be playable), but the day when I found out he's a pathetic Assist Trophy, I was left pretty angry and miserable. But Starfy's game made me actually become very interested to plunge deeper to Nintendo's other titles that weren't named Mario, Zelda, Kirby, DK or other games that were featured prominently in Smash Bros.

It was worth it. There were just so many games that were so unique and had a great quality to them to discover. Panel De Pon testamented most best on this, and I seriously fell in love with it's mascot, Lip. She's absolutely cute, but what a facade behind that was that her game's even harder to master than Puyo Puyo-series.
It was quite breathtaking to think that I was introduced to this series by Smash Bros, and I was bit thinking how many people were missing out for not wanting to find out about Lip Stick's origin. (Unless they played Tetris Attack).

And then there's Golden Sun which I found to have one of most unique and biggest fanbases for an underrated Nintendo-franchise after Mother. The game has it's glaring flaws, but it's enjoyable and remarkable (and as bland as some of the characters might feel, you're going to love 'em.)
The fanbase again is absolutely welcoming and modest, and they aren't crazy-whining type like Square RPG-fans (like Final Fantasy) and also the fact that the series lets us have so much liberties on things (SHIP EVERYTHING WITH EVERYONE.).

Right now one of my biggest reasons to follow Smash 4 is to see more recognition being given to these series, as unlikely as it might sound to some people here. Nintendo though is showing signs of polarizing and little bit of drop in quality (Looking at you Other M, Skyward Sword, as much as I love it's presentation and characters and countless recent Mario-spinoffs), which is why I'm even more wishing for them to look around to their underplayed franchises before their core ones will become cashcow zombies. And but this is why I dunno what to wish from SSB4. Some of my wishes seem bit paranoid at best, but personal wishes become then pretty low.

So yeah, Toad, Dixie, Palutena. Starfy, Lip and Isaac comes after that. Starfy due being a milestone character to help me get interested on Nintendo's lesser-known series, Lip due her testamenting how great they just can be and Isaac (or Golden Sun in general) due me really becoming fond of the series and meeting new friends through it. Pretty breathtaking.

Habanero: I myself am a huge fan of Ganbare Goemon (played most of the SNES titles) and also Pocky & Rocky (Pocky/Sayo-chan is as close fond for me as Pit is, and that's even before meeting the Icarus-guy himself)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Again, bull rumors shouldn't be trusted when it came from 4chan and GameFAQs.
The sources doesn't matter I think. A rumor is a rumor.

Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but what's Japan-Time and why is it so important to know about it?This. The Fire Emblem female characters bandwagon is laughable.
Basically, Sakurai announced something new for the day every weekday starting from Mid May to a year later when he finally stopped.

It was crazy because the updates would range from new characters to "Options," and "How to Recover." The delay made it worse. The game was suppose to come out early December but then got pushed back. Because of this, all of the updates between November and January weren't major. Then, at the end, they got better. It was a wild ride.

Wouldn't it be too early for a Geration 6 at this point though?

I mean we only saw Gen 5 start last year with a second game this year.

If anything gets announced, it could very well be a Gen 3 Remake.
The games come out about every 4 years, so It's just about time.

It's going to be a sad day when we split and go on our ways.
We could always just exchange codes and fight each other.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
LOL oh, no... 1st gen 3DS remake would only give me false hope for Meowth or Team Rocket with Meowth/Arbok and Meowth/Weezing teams. :awesome:

:phone:
You and me both!

I am curious about why Meloetta never took off in requests. It basically was a Gardevoir with the benefit of being a legendary, and was even a regular character for a season. Maybe the furverts of the Pokemon fanbase are no longer within the Smash Bros. fanbase?
I wondered that as well. Honestly, I think Meloetta is more popular in Japan than the US. I'm not saying she's more popular than Zoroark or Genesect, just the character in general. It would've helped if they had released the Meloetta event to the US instead of leaving it only in Japan.

I thought of Meloetta more as what Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik would've been. Aria Form would use psychic attacks in a similar fashion to Zelda, whereas Pirouette Form would rely more on fighting-based attacks.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
To address a comment made about Dixie in a potential new Diddy Kong Racing a few pages back, I understand not all characters reappearances are comparable. I used Palutena and Funky as examples, who have entirely different roles within their franchises and latest games. That's clear; they're at opposite ends of the importance spectrum. Using my example, what separates the two is that Palutena reappeared in a massively popular revival game, while Funky was a last-minute addition to a racing game, where characters are essentially glorified avatars.

While Dixie in Diddy Kong Racing Wii U would obviously have more magnitude than Funky in Mario Kart Wii, the support she would get as a result pales to what she would get with, say, a starting role in DKCR2. Simply existing in a new game does not automatically correlate to a popularity boost, and that applies to all characters. Most importantly, Dixie would benefit from a Diddy Kong Racing appearance because it would stop the naysayers who deem her irrelevant.

It's going to be a sad day when we split and go on our ways.

What amazes me is how we manage to stay together despite all the drama that occurs and all the vitriol that is thrown around the community (particularly the speculation scene). Normally, these magnitude of drama would pummel a community to bits until it's original shape was no longer noticeable and yet the Smash community, even with all of it's division, is still united by one thing; our love for the franchise itself.

Smash doesn't just unite Nintendo series, they unite Nintendo fans in general in a celebration of Nintendo's history. Our passion and dedication towards the franchises and characters we love so much (as well as the unique gameplay) is what keeps us coming back for more, even if the environment can be hostile. As such, we have formed a tight-knit community that no other franchises can repeat. I know that this community has helped changed me for the better.

I look at the GameFAQs board on the Wii-U and notice that there's constantly bitter battles going on between the ones who hate the system (or trolls) and ones who think the Wii-U is this perfectly system that can't have any flaws. The console community has lost its meaning and mostly spend their times fighting the other side. For all the horrible things we say about the Smash community there, at least we can say that there's a sense of community.

The dust will eventually settle on the Smash 4 community. As I take my last step outside the modern gaming community a few years from now (give or take 2-6 years), I will take a look at the utterly broken state of the modern gaming community (and it'll be no wonder why sales will be down this gen). Then I will look at how the Smash community manage to preserve itself despite all the drama that threatens to permanently damage this community. I will then smile, knowing that in the darkest days of gaming, I had some of my greatest memories right towards the end.

I'll be thinking of this community for the rest of my life, especially when playing Smash.
I agree with this. I mean, we have differences here in what we both want to see or expect to see but it never gets us all in an uproar (like other Smash Bros boards, such as GameFaqs). Especially since there are those things we can agree on and we all know it is mainly opinion, backing it up or not.

Judging by the fact we are all on this board, I can safely say we all love Smash Bros and Nintendo in general and like discussing that love for the company, franchises, characters, and whatnot. We explain why we like what we like and see how others respond, rinse and repeat. It can be fun most of the time.

I may be new here, but I can safely say so far that this is one of the better Smash Bros, and gaming in general, communities I have seen so far on the Internet. People talking about what they like and going back and forth debating it. Especially for this one franchise that we have looked forward to each generation since the N64.

2013 is going to be an INTERESTING year here and I look forward to it with all of you guys. :bee:

D

Deleted member

I'm afraid I can't share the same sentiment about characters as most of you. In the end, they are just fictional characters, so it's difficult to attach much emotion to them aside from what they may have contributed to my childhood or the like. But when it comes to that I've already had to deal with the bitter disappointment of watching Banjo get defecated on by Microsoft (and Rare), and likewise the Command and Conquer franchise get completely ruined by EA's greedy palms.

So most of my desire to see characters is simply because I think they would be incredibly fun characters to have, and the fact that most of them are impossible/unlikely further justifies why I would distance myself from their inclusion or not, still I keenly added ways of representing my personal desires with my Wishlist: Ike and Lyn, favorite FE lords, Masked Link, favorite Zelda (likewise I would be OK with having Majora/SkullKid instead), Diddy+Dixie duo, favorite DK game, etc...

@KumaOso
You lost me dude.

@SuperSmashFan
I think this community will stay intact after the speculation. I can definitely say I've found reasons to stick around after this whole thing blows over, the Melee and Fighting game general are great boards, with civil and intelligent posters, are my new favorite hangouts, despite being a bit slow. I think other users will probably stick around the Smash 4 general after release, of course that depends on how good the game actually is.

On another note, GameFAQs is a terrible community, I spent a whole... 3 hours there before saying "**** it" and taking my leave. It's daytime /v/ levels of ********, in fact, I'm sure most of the stupidity in /v/ stems from that board, as does most of the WiiU ****posting.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
This was basically mentioned a few pages back, but I'll summarize, basically, here are the "clues" that a new Pokemon generation is incoming, possibly with a release by the next Smash or with a close enough development time that Sakurai could have gotten a recommendation for a G6 pokemon to include in SSB4 as a "preview".

-Game Freak apparently included a message in a Japanese Nintendo magazine promising an "evolution" of Pokemon next year.
-There will apparently be a major announcement on the Jan. 6 edition of the "Pokemon Smash" TV program in Japan, where past announcements of new Pokemon have been made. Shigeki Morimoto, one of the main designers and programmers at Game Freak, is set to appear (this bit- about Morimoto appearing- is new information I just read about today). As Game Freak isn't heavily involved with the spin-offs games, it would only make sense that this would be about the main series.
-A poster for an upcoming Pikachu mini-movie indicates it will feature the Eeeveelutions. Each letter of part the movie's name on the poster is a different color. All of them match-up with Eevee or one of it's evolutions, except for the final letter, which is a purple color. In the past, the Anime has been used to provide first looks at new Pokemon, so it would not be surprising if a new Eeveelution was featured in this new mini-movie.
-The above mini-movie will be going alongside the Extremespeed Genesect film. With the introduction of Genesect, all of the Unova legendaries will have appeared in the Anime. The Anime Movies usually feature either legendaries or the designated "cool" pokemon of the upcoming generation (Lucario and Zoroark, for example). Therefore, it would make sense to believe that the movie after Genesect will be about a Sixth Generation pokemon.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's true. You are the forefather of all Ridley supporters. The rightful leader.

ReallyIwashopingthethreadwouldbeyours. *kicksdust*
Someone Stronger than Oasis, I never thought I'd see the day.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lots of sentimentality in this thread right now. Feels nice.

Anyway, in regards to a Pokemon reveal, I did see one theory that they may reveal a new Eeveelution.
Basically, in a poster for the new upcoming short for the Genesect movie, it shows that it features Eevee.

That's the logo. Now, in the title, the characters are designed like Eeveelutions. Flareon, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Eevee, Espeon, Umbreon, Glaceon, Leafeon, and something else. Note the stars, too. New Eeveelution shown in the short, perhaps?

EDIT: Semi-ninja'd

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Regardless of how great SSB4 actually is (and we have reason to believe it will be epic), the community will become even more tightly knit as development progresses. We'll undergo plenty of highs and potentially some lows as well, and in the end, reflect upon it all quite fondly. Now is just the tip of the iceberg.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@KumaOso
You lost me dude.
Peacock from Skullgirls. Picture a Nintendo Wars character that spams projectile assists all day. Peacock, for example, would wave flags for little planes to crash in.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Regardless of how great SSB4 actually is (and we have reason to believe it will be epic), the community will become even more tightly knit as development progresses. We'll undergo plenty of highs and potentially some lows as well, and in the end, reflect upon it all quite fondly. Now is just the tip of the iceberg.

Sounds Futuristic.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
One thing I've seen, Opossum, is some people claiming that the bow that everyone thinks is Espeon is actually nothing, just a bow, and that the last letter stands for Espeon.

But I don't see that: consider that the logo has the Eevees bunched by their introduction. The first four are the first three eeveelutions plus Eevee itself, for example. It would make no sense to have Espeon- introduced in G2- be at the end of the logo.

D

Deleted member

Peacock from Skullgirls. Picture a Nintendo Wars character that spams projectile assists all day. Peacock, for example, would wave flags for little planes to crash in.

Ahh, ok. I have not played Skullgirls yet, but it kinda sounds like Yugi in the Jump series, like a "Summoner" type character... That actually sounds kinda cool to be honest.

Dem Feels ;_;

Dawwwww
Lots of sentimentality in this thread right now. Feels nice.

Anyway, in regards to a Pokemon reveal, I did see one theory that they may reveal a new Eeveelution.
Basically, in a poster for the new upcoming short for the Genesect movie, it shows that it features Eevee.

That's the logo. Now, in the title, the characters are designed like Eeveelutions. Flareon, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Eevee, Espeon, Umbreon, Glaceon, Leafeon, and something else. Note the stars, too. New Eeveelution shown in the short, perhaps?

EDIT: Semi-ninja'd
Hmm, purple with Stars, new Pokemon type confirmed for Gen 6
Light or Cosmic
, you heard it here first bros.

This reminds me of the speculation for B2/W2 in /vp/ last year. Everyone kept looking for hints that Hoenn would be a post-game region in those games.

Red Ice = Ruby, Blue Ice = Sapphire, Steven is in the WC, HOENN CONFIRMED

People are jumping onto the gen 6 bandwagon way too quickly.
I think it's a given. Pokemon is the Call of Duty of Nintendo, it's pretty easy to predict what their next moves are.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One things for sure, even if it's some sort of new Pokemon, we're not going to get something on par with Lucario or Zoroark. We're talking more along the lines of Munchlax or Bonsly, because they don't want something too big to be a distraction for the next movie focusing on Genesect.

But of course people will still support it for Super Smash Bros. because hey, why not?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Especially if the Eeveelution thing is true. Then it is almost certainly not going to affect Smash, outside of a few random and uninformed supporters.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
One thing I've seen, Opossum, is some people claiming that the bow that everyone thinks is Espeon is actually nothing, just a bow, and that the last letter stands for Espeon.

But I don't see that: consider that the logo has the Eevees bunched by their introduction. The first four are the first three eeveelutions plus Eevee itself, for example. It would make no sense to have Espeon- introduced in G2- be at the end of the logo.
The last symbol is purple... is that color commonly associated with Poison type or Ghost type?

Eevee for SSB4 confirmed. :troll:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think Generation 6 is needed. I really don't like Generation 5. Something about it rubs me the wrong way and I just can't get into this generation.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The way I see it, if it is indeed a new Eevee, it is either Poison, Flying, Ghost, or Dragon. Well, in my opinion.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Haven't they made Eeveelutions only the types that were special in the first couple generations?

Which would mean the next Eevee is a Dragon

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ah, yeah, Steel too. It slipped my mind.

@Psycho. That's why one of my predictions is Dragon. It completes the "Special" types.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
BTW, here are the "first pokemon" revealed for each generation:

G2: Ho-Oh, by virtue of it being in the FIRST EPISODE OF THE ANIME.
G3: Kecleon
G4: Munchlax
G5: Zoroark

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They could call it Impereon, and it could be the king of the eeveelutions. It could have a subplot dedicated just to it

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Much better than the "Scaleon" idea that I've seen floating around.

Noxeon could be cool for Poison, or Aveon for Flying.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Basically, everything about people caring more about keeping Lucario than gaining Zoroark will apply to all G6 Pokemon as well, unless one just happens to be some stroke of creative masterpiece.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Gen 6 is probably going to be an expansion generation on par with Gen 2, if the whole parallel factor is still going to be played out.

Which means we're going to hypothetically get a lot of evolutions and pre-evolutions for the existing Pokemon that debuted in gen 5, and a lot of forgettable drivel in between.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
If we are getting new eevolution then that would make a lot of sense why they are pushing them right now.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Gen 6 is probably going to be an expansion generation on par with Gen 2, if the whole parallel factor is still going to be played out.

Which means we're going to hypothetically get a lot of evolutions and pre-evolutions for the existing Pokemon that debuted in gen 5, and a lot of forgettable drivel in between.
I do not want to continue Generation 5's storyline.

I didn't like Unova

Edit: Also, Drageon for a Dragon Eevee. Get it? It sounds like Dragon!

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I liked Unova. Seemed a bit more fresh than G4 and parts of G3.

Plasma probably was the best villain group since Rocket, and having them be a bit of a morally gray organization was inspired. And the designs of the new 'mons were pretty good as well, although, yes, there were plenty of stinkers (there ALWAYS have been some stinkers, even back in G1).

That said, I'd like to have a new region. Maybe with Unova showing up, at most, as a place to visit, like how Kanto was visited in G2.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I liked Unova. Seemed a bit more fresh than G4 and parts of G3.

Plasma probably was the best villain group since Rocket, and having them be a bit of a morally gray organization was inspired. And the designs of the new 'mons were pretty good as well, although, yes, there were plenty of stinkers (there ALWAYS have been some stinkers, even back in G1).

That said, I'd like to have a new region. Maybe with Unova showing up, at most, as a place to visit, like how Kanto was visited in G2.

What i really hate about pokemon is
1. too easy..
2. Never more then 8 Gyms.. (A big reason why HG/SS is best pokemon game ever made.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I love and enjoy pokemon played em all but if i had to choose it would go like this

*1.* HG/SS
*2.* FR/LG
3. R/S/E
4. B/W1
5. D/P/Plt
6. B/W2

MISC:

B/W1>R/S/E is debatable i like R/S/E but what brings it down hard is because imo it was the shortest and easiest pokemon game if all.

I liked D/P/Plt but i hate the pokes in that generation expecially the legends...

And scalling mount.cornet was a bloody pain..

Come to think of it i started hating legends After R/S/E i couldnt care less about the legends after that..dont appeal to me..not iconic not nothing..

Hmm for villians i would go..

*1*. Rocket
2.Plasma
3.Galactic
4. Magma/Aqua
:phone:,

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Sadly, it will be black and white 3. I recalled that I heard that they are doing Pokemon Black and White trilogy. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to held meloetta back for Black and White 3 release date DLC.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Meeeeeh @ the above idea. I just wouldn't buy it then, just like how I never got Black & White 2. For what it was worth though I could stomach gen 5 a lot more than gen 4 as it was pretty fresh in comparison, especially with some of the Pokemon designs. Depending on what gen 6 has to offer, could go either way as far as me "hopping on the bandwagon".

@ Dark Phazon: Glad to see someone who appreciates HG/SS as much as I. Sad that it's underrated compared to the FR/LG remakes, at least from what I've seen on other sites.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To address a comment made about Dixie in a potential new Diddy Kong Racing a few pages back, I understand not all characters reappearances are comparable. I used Palutena and Funky as examples, who have entirely different roles within their franchises and latest games. That's clear; they're at opposite ends of the importance spectrum. Using my example, what separates the two is that Palutena reappeared in a massively popular revival game, while Funky was a last-minute addition to a racing game, where characters are essentially glorified avatars.

While Dixie in Diddy Kong Racing Wii U would obviously have more magnitude than Funky in Mario Kart Wii, the support she would get as a result pales to what she would get with, say, a starting role in DKCR2. Simply existing in a new game does not automatically correlate to a popularity boost, and that applies to all characters. Most importantly, Dixie would benefit from a Diddy Kong Racing appearance because it would stop the naysayers who deem her irrelevant.

Yeah, read about this rumor of a new Diddy Kong Racing. Though, am still very skeptical about this. If it's coming out though, I need NO reasons to buy a Wii U, even if Smash 4 decided to suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom