• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I think the design that got the shaft the most was Ike.

It seems like all of the other designs are ether hated or indifferent, but Roy seems to be the only one that got notable praise.
Ephriam looks boss as **** man. Marth's is ok too. Cecil and Leaf are decent too. Lyn's would have been ok if not for the stupid coat thing. Elincia is cool too, I actually really like hers. Ike's is barf worthy. Micaiah I'm indifferent. Roy's is cool, although a bit too edgy, it's certainly a step up though. Eirika's waifu redo was a bad idea, but it's well drawn at least. Who'd I miss?

The Monado also gives him access to a bunch of skill arts(I think that's what they're called, haven't played much). Check the Shulk thread, I'm sure they have examples there.
I think I read it a while back, precisely for that reason, but I still find it hard to picture him without having played the game...

Can you compare him to other fighters from other games? Soul Calibur maybe?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
People should really support a character for the character itself as opposed to recent appearances. It feels more satisfying to have a character people would truly like as opposed to expecting some sort of expectation because of promotional reasons. It's probably the reason I felt a lot more excited over Pit, King Dedede, and Diddy Kong then Lucario, Ike, and Lucas.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, what's-

Great, the whole "Smash needs more females" excuse for why female FE characters are better.

I'll come back later.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really, really hope SSB4 is properly announced at E3 2013 with a trailer that shows some veterans and newcomers. It would really, really put some debates to rest and put peace in our minds pertaining the confirmed characters.

People should really support a character for the character itself as opposed to recent appearances. It feels more satisfying to have a character people would truly like as opposed to expecting some sort of expectation because of promotional reasons. It's probably the reason I felt a lot more excited over Pit, King Dedede, and Diddy Kong then Lucario, Ike, and Lucas.
My main reason for supporting Micaiah is because I like the character.

Same goes for Shulk, Isa, Andy, and Ghirahim.

All the other stuff is after that, not before.

:cool:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hey guys, what's-

Great, the whole "Smash needs more females" excuse for why female FE characters are better.

I'll come back later.
The people who generally want more females Smash Bros. for the sake of having more females in Smash Bros. are usually bonkers from my experience. The only two characters that I think have enough merit within their own series to warrant becoming playable are Palutena and Dixie Kong.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The irony is that Palutena and Dixie Kong supporters are a lot less obnoxious then pretty much every other female choice out there, which is probably because there are reasons for inclusion as opposed to waifu pandering.

D

Deleted member

The people who generally want more females Smash Bros. for the sake of having more females in Smash Bros. are usually bonkers from my experience. The only two characters that I think have enough merit within their own series to warrant becoming playable are Palutena and Dixie Kong.
I have to agree with this. Aside from possibly Dark Samus for the Prime Trilogy, if we can really call it a she.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Chrono: My bad, I completely forgot about him. I'm also going to toss Alm's artwork in as well.

Characters: Marth, Roy, Ike
Alternate Costumes: Lucina, "Insert something for Roy," Paris,
Stages: Gimle (with Chrom & My Unit in the background), and Castle Siege as a past stage,
Assist Trophies: Lyn, Triangle Attack,
Music: Stuff from FE13, and the SNES games, plus Brawl stuff.

Honestly this is what I want to see happen with FE representation in Smash 4, that and a wider selection of trophies.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
To some extent, you have a mix of the two with fans of C-List protagonists, whose series have uncertain futures. They love the characters, but also want to solidify their places within Nintendo's lineup through a Smash appearance.

Heck, it's a contributing factor, like Chronobound said a few pages back, to people's support of K. Rool.

EDIT: I guess we should count our blessings that Palutena and Dixie aren't hypersexualized within their source material, or else their fanbases could very well be similar to those of literally every other female character.

:phone:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yes, but I'm more referring to how franchises like Pokemon and Fire Emblem creates new content and then suddenly the content in question becomes expected but not wanted. There is a reason why people are hardly enthusiastic over Chrom or Zoroark, but supports them anyway because it's expected.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, what's-

But that argument hasn't been thrown out
yet
. It's just a Micaiah fan giving his/her two (biased) cents.

I really, really hope SSB4 is properly announced at E3 2013 with a trailer that shows some veterans and newcomers. It would really, really put some debates to rest and put peace in our minds pertaining the confirmed characters.
Hahaha, nah man. When that trailer comes out speculation if only gonna get more ridiculous. Enjoy this minor peace while it's still here. Japan-Time is gonna be chaos.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I agree with this. I knew there was a reason why I added only those two as the only female newcomers in my new wishlist.

[COLLAPSE="SSB4 wishlist"]All this talk about first-party and second-party got me thinking about which first-party newcomers we might see in SSB4. I came up with a neat little way to categorize possible newcomers and group them in pairs. Most of them are popular choices but I threw in some interesting surprises for a good measure. :awesome:

Villain Newcomers
1. King K. Rool
2. Ridley

Female Newcomers
3. Dixie Kong
4. Palutena

Sidekick Newcomers
5. Toad
6. Waddle Dee

Casual Newcomers
7. Mii
8. Villager

New Flavors of the Month
9. Chrom
10. Zoroark

Retro Newcomers
11. Balloon Fighter
12. Hunting Dog

Revived Newcomers
13. Little Mac
14. Takamaru

Modern Newcomers
15. Mallo
16. Shulk

Third-Party Newcomers
17. Mega Man
18. Pac-Man

10 new series, 8 from Nintendo and 2 from third-party companies? Yeah, no, it's probably not going to happen. :embarrass: It's nice to dream though... ;)[/COLLAPSE]

D

Deleted member

Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but what's Japan-Time and why is it so important to know about it?
BKupa666 said:
I guess we should count our blessings that Palutena and Dixie aren't hypersexualized within their source material, or else their fanbases could very well be similar to those of literally every other female character.
This. The Fire Emblem female characters bandwagon is laughable.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
At this point, though it wouldn't bring any new blood into Smash, it would be in Sakurai's best interest to bring back Roy/Mewtwo and cut no one. He would receive far less of an outcry leaving out Zoroark/Chrom than he would by cutting Lucario/Ike, who would then go on to become SSB5's top character choices.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but what's Japan-Time and why is it so important to know about it?
I think that's like 3AM in the eastern US coast... it's around the time when Sakurai updates the Dojo at whatever time it is over there in Japan. Hence the term "Japan Time".

But that argument hasn't been thrown out
yet
. It's just a Micaiah fan giving his/her two (biased) cents.

Hahaha, nah man. When that trailer comes out speculation if only gonna get more ridiculous. Enjoy this minor peace while it's still here. Japan-Time is gonna be chaos.
Sure want her in, and will debate forever, but I am fine if she is not in.

It is just that she just seems as likely as a Roy and Lyn though and there are people out there just counting her out.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
At this point, though it wouldn't bring any new blood into Smash, it would be in Sakurai's best interest to bring back Roy/Mewtwo and cut no one. He would receive far less of an outcry leaving out Zoroark/Chrom than he would by cutting Lucario/Ike, who would then go on to become SSB5's top character choices.

Nope, they wouldn't. The next flavors of the month after Chrom and Zoroark would be some of SSB5's top character choices because the reasoning is that they missed their boat with SSB4.

D

Deleted member

4 AM CST? Dang.

I'll see if I want to do that. Althoug that'll mean sleeping in my chair so I don't miss out on all the action.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I never thought of it like that, really good point though. Toise Tokken worthy in fact. lol

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Oh Japan Time was pretty hectic during the days of Brawl speculation. It was like getting front row seats to see the ****storm happen, whether it's because of a good thing or a bad thing.

When a new character was revealed in particular, people started going absolutely bananas because of it. Sonic was arguably the one that caused the biggest stir, not surprisingly.

D

Deleted member

To some extent, you have a mix of the two with fans of C-List protagonists, whose series have uncertain futures. They love the characters, but also want to solidify their places within Nintendo's lineup through a Smash appearance.

Heck, it's a contributing factor, like Chronobound said a few pages back, to people's support of K. Rool.

EDIT: I guess we should count our blessings that Palutena and Dixie aren't hypersexualized within their source material, or else their fanbases could very well be similar to those of literally every other female character.

Palutena isn't hypersexualized, she's just Moe:

Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but what's Japan-Time and why is it so important to know about it?This. The Fire Emblem female characters bandwagon is laughable.
Japan time is just a way of referring to Smash Dojo season. Everyone else already explained it better than me.

Sure want her in, and will debate forever, but I am fine if she is not in.

She just seems as likely as a Roy and Lyn though and there are people out there just counting her out.
We'll you're gonna have a lot of people disagree with you, myself included. Micaiah, as it stands, just isn't relevant anymore. Finish FE10 and you'll know why.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

I mentioned this as well. I am glad someone else caught on to this.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh Japan Time was pretty hectic during the days of Brawl speculation. It was like getting front row seats to see the ****storm happen, whether it's because of a good thing or a bad thing.

When a new character was revealed in particular, people started going absolutely bananas because of it. Sonic was arguably the one that caused the biggest stir, not surprisingly.
When this happened, I think the Internet crashed down for a little while... maybe it was 502 bad gateway or something.

Palutena isn't hypersexualized, she's just Moe:

Japan time is just a way of referring to Smash Dojo season. Everyone else already explained it better than me.

We'll you're gonna have a lot of people disagree with you, myself included. Micaiah, as it stands, just isn't relevant anymore. Finish FE10 and you'll know why.
Wouldn't that count for Roy and Lyn as well if it counts for Micaiah? I mean they haven't had a game in years. Yet all 3 are DLC now. :awesome:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
im overall a fan of including Zoroark and Chrom and leaving out Mewtwo and Roy. more so Roy than Mewtwo but hey i didnt like either

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I mentioned this as well. I am glad someone else caught on to this.
As did I, Chrono, as did I.
But wouldn't Chrom and Zoroark "miss the boat" when it comes to SSB4? The new flavors of the month from future Fire Emblem game and the 6th or 7th gen Pokemon game would have gotten all the attention/popularity from them by the time SSB5 is announced.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Rewatching those Palutena anime shorts make me want Palutena in SSB4 even more... it's like they are giving me an idea of how Palutena might be animated in the game if she gets in.

D

Deleted member

Wouldn't that count for Roy and Lyn as well if it counts for Micaiah? I mean they haven't had a game in years. Yet all 3 are DLC now. :awesome:
It does, that's why I said they all have a very low chance of getting in. I support Lyn despite the fact that she most likely won't get in. If she DOES then that'd be cool. But to be honest, if she officially gets in, it would unlikely be under the same fighting style I want her to have (which is the reason I want her in the first place). The main reason I support her is to make people aware of her potential, and maybe someone with more talent and time than me, can work on a PSA for either Brawl or SSB4, with my proposed idea (who knows I may do it myself in the future if I ever have the time and inclination to learn how to make PSAs).

Likewise for KOS-MOS, another impossible character with great potential. It's not because they're female, it's hardly because I'm a fan of their character/designs, it's mostly because of their potential as fighters.

im overall a fan of including Zoroark and Chrom and leaving out Mewtwo and Roy. more so Roy than Mewtwo but hey i didnt like either
Same here dude. I would prefer if the older characters stayed out. Mewtwo would be cool coming back, if he was revamped completely. But as I've said before I prefer new fresh faces than characters we've already played as before. I think the community is split on this issue, with our stance being in the minority (or maybe they're equal, but the opposing opinion is more vocal, who knows).

@Habanero
Palutena; fanservice; SHAFT animation
Mai Waifu

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
But wouldn't Chrom and Zoroark "miss the boat" when it comes to SSB4? The new flavors of the month from future Fire Emblem game and the 6th or 7th gen Pokemon game would have gotten all the attention/popularity from them by the time SSB5 is announced.
Yeah, most likely by the time Smash 4 is released and if Chrom/Zoroark don't get in, no one will care about them for Smash 5. Hopefully by then, GameFreak makes a generation poster-Pokemon that is not another anthropomorphic canine, and IS makes a new Fire Emblem lord that is not another mercenary-like blue-haired sword wielder.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Chrom easily has it worse then Zoroark no matter how you look at it. Zoroark at least has the benefit of claws, dark powers, illusions, speed, and still being notably different in appearance to differentiate her from Lucario and Mewtwo. Chrom doesn't really stick out as much and generally has the risk of being overlooked far more because of it.

However, Zoroark may also be overlooked too for something else like Victini, Genesect, or something else completely out of the left field.

It does, that's why I said they all have a very low chance of getting in. I support Lyn despite the fact that she most likely won't get in. If she DOES then that'd be cool. But to be honest, if she officially gets in, it would unlikely be under the same fighting style I want her to have (which is the reason I want her in the first place). The main reason I support her is to make people aware of her potential, and maybe someone with more talent and time than me, can work on a PSA for either Brawl or SSB4, with my proposed idea (who knows I may do it myself in the future if I ever have the time and inclination to learn how to make PSAs).

Likewise for KOS-MOS, another impossible character with great potential. It's not because they're female, it's hardly because I'm a fan of their character/designs, it's mostly because of their potential as fighters.
Yes, I see.

And the main reason I support Micaiah is basically the same thing.

:bee:

So, cool.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Chrom easily has it worse then Zoroark no matter how you look at it. Zoroark at least has the benefit of claws, dark powers, illusions, speed, and still being notably different in appearance to differentiate her from Lucario and Mewtwo. Chrom doesn't really stick out as much and generally has the risk of being overlooked far more because of it.

However, Zoroark may also be overlooked too for something else like Victini, Genesect, or something else completely out of the left field.
Zoroark could very well become obsolete if next week they do indeed reveal the first major Pokemon of Generation 6. I agree on the rest of what you wrote though.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So, in essence, Generation 5 could be Generation 3 all over again.
Which kinda reminds of the time during my early days of Brawl speculation where I really wanted Blaziken, mainly because of that coolness factor and being my favorite of the fully evolved starter Pokemon. Gen 4 came out roughly around the time, but I completely overlooked Lucario because I thought of it as just another Pokemon.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
But are they going to support the 6th gen Pokemon because they like the character or are they going to support the 6th gen Pokemon because it is the new flavor of the month? :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom