• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I was talking about a hypothetical. If Dixie Kong were to have a major appearance in another game before Smash 4 and K. Rool does not, and if Dixie Kong has a surge in requests and popularity. I expect an intense rivalry between Dixie Kong and K. Rool, because there will be Dixie Kong fans thinking Dixie may have a shot at being next in line for a DK spot.

D

Deleted member

The main problem with Saki being supported is that it feels like more of a secondary thought more then true passion, which kinda feels shallow in general. At least with Issac there was a feeling of caring since people were concerned with the franchise being in a dormant state.
You can argue the same for Pac-Man, Chrom, and even Zoroark because all of them have a lot of people supporting them because they think they're likely (especially the former two). I've seen more genuine support for Saki than those three.

You can argue the same for Pac-Man, Chrom, and even Zoroark because all of them have a lot of people supporting them because they think they're likely (especially the former two). I've seen more genuine support for Saki than those three.
Now the question is, are they supporting Saki because?

A. They believe he will get in
B. They have played the game
C. Only know of him because he was an AT
D. Others keep saying him

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I dunno but I know some people support Kat & Ana and Knuckle Joe because of the reason C.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

I think you should replace option B. with

''Are you a fan of him''

Also people obviously support a char they like some base it of realisticly having a chance but some dont..

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Actually I think of it as more Micaiah and Ike were duo main characters. I may not have finished yet, but I have seen a part where they work together. So they do become co leaders and whatnot.

Micaiah has a chance regardless, I think she is one of the top choices.

I even see that she is more likely than Lyn. Micaiah was in a game during the Wii and DS generation, Lyn was not. She is only still around being DLC in Awakening. Since we would only get one Awakening character most likely, why use it on a DLC? Why not a character from the actual story? Like Chrom?

And besides being more recent, I would believe Micaiah is more popular now. Lyn has pretty much lost popularity since her game and missed her shot with Brawl, which was based off of Gamecube and GBA mainly. The latter where her game was. She was thrown to the AT side when they were actually looking at her game, what is so different now that she is DLC? Being DLC should make her DLC while character choices like Micaiah and Chrom get on the roster.

It is more of believing that Fire Emblem should have a totally different class to diversify it, and not another type of sword user. More sword users can be in Smash Bros but no more than Chrom for Fire Emblem. Leaving room for Micaiah. I would rather have sword users like Isa (Gun-Sword), Matthew (Sword User with Psyenergy and Djinn), Shulk (Monado), Ghirahim (Magic Sworduser), Takamaru (Samurai Sword) and Travis Touchdown (Beam Katana w/ Wrestling Moves). Ones you know can be totally different and rep other necessary franchises.

I have played other Fire Emblem games. The only one I have beaten has been Path of Radiance though. I am getting back to those sooner or later. It is just I am playing other games now.

I am holding out for exciting and diverse characters. I posted most wanted, realistic, characters and choices here. A lot of them would have different movesets. Making them unique. That is how I am speculating for the game. Something with more new franchises repped. More with diverse character movesets.
Ok, fair enough, I just wanted to hear your opinion.

Check out the Lyn Support thread I made a while back:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=329084

Coming from a competitive fighter background, I see a lot of potential in her character (If you've played other fighters think Baiken minus the extra weapons mixed with Hakumen, but much faster), a counter heavy character focused on Speed and combos. What kind of fighting style do you suggest for Micaiah, one that can differentiate her from the other mages we already have (Zelda and the guaranteed Plautena)? Clearly, she'd be a long range Zoning character, but as it stands those characters currently don't do too well in Smash (hopefully this is finally fixed in SSB4), but I feel Zelda (and Palutena) can fill that role just fine. As it stands, there NO character like Lyn in Smash, not even if Takamaru gets in would he be like what I propose. He uses weapons and Magic, so he seems like he would be a slower character with many diverse mid-long range options (like GG's Baiken actually). When looking at character diversity, you need to look beyond how their specials play out. You gotta look at the WHOLE character concept, and envision what archetype they would best fall under:
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/list-of-fighting-game-archetypes.156294/, and how they compare to the rest of the cast.

Anyway, one question, I still haven't played Xenoblade, but what exactly IS Modado? Is it like... Magic?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I still need to get Xenoblade Chronicles. Smashchu's support thread about Shulk was inspiring. Oh, and Shulk's sword, the one seen on the front cover of the game's box art, looks pretty cool.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Huh. If this Diddy Kong Racing reboot turns out to be true, and Dixie returns in it, she'll have some degree of relevance again, an actual advantage over K. Rool in that regard. Whether or not this will boost requests for her...time will tell. A single game boosted Palutena to shoo-in status but did virtually nothing for Funky Kong.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Huh. If this Diddy Kong Racing reboot turns out to be true, and Dixie returns in it, she'll have some degree of relevance again, an actual advantage over K. Rool in that regard. Whether or not this will boost requests for her...time will tell. A single game boosted Palutena to shoo-in status but did virtually nothing for Funky Kong.

Difference is, Palutena is actually an important NPC to the Kid Icarus storylines and Funky Kong is just a shopkeeper NPC in the Donkey Kong Country games. At least Dixie Kong was actually playable in two of the main games.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion

I say c and d mostly. S&p as a whole isn't a remarkably popular series and most people really just know about saki thx to brawl. Then when looking at other peoples rosters most people have one of either saki, isaac, starfy, and shulk and all for pretty much the same reasons. None of these series are really popular by any means but people will gravitate to whomever they like more. Hell I only put Isaac on my roster because if I could only choose between those 4 it would b him.

D

Deleted member

I never did see the appeal of Golden Sun that much compared to pretty much everything else; Golden Sun felt kinda generic in general. Then again it's probably my gluttonous appetite for RPG's speaking to me, which probably tainted my vision of Golden Sun being anything notable.
You're not alone bro... I felt the same EXACT way about Golden Sun, a friend of mine kept telling me to play it (this was like 5 years back), telling me it was the best game ever. I gave it a shot, but wasn't interested enough to keep going past the first dungeon. I've been meaning to give it another shot recently, but with the 30 other games I'm playing atm, I'm hesitant to add another.

E. He has a unique and interesting fighting style that would make for a great character period.

Out of the 3 blondies (Saki, Shulk and Isaac), he's my most prefered.

Monado is the sword on the cover, and Shulks primary weapon.
How is that different from a normal sword? What kind of fighting style would he have to separate him from Roy, or Isaac, or Takamaru, etc...? I mean, from a Fighting game stand point, what would you compare him to? Not that I don't want him in, I just don't KNOW what he would play like aside from "he uses a sword." Can he boost his stats? Change stances? What?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

That was because the last appearance for all the Rare DK characters not named Diddy and Cranky made their last appearance in Mario Super Sluggers which was released a few months after Mario Kart Wii.

Also, Dixie Kong always had more importance and popularity within the DK series than Funky has.

I strongly doubt an appearance in Diddy Kong Racing Wii U would boost Dixie to shoe-in status, but it might make many people start to more seriously consider her.

D

Deleted member

I think Diddy Kong Racing Wii-U with Dixie would help increase Dixie's popularity, but I do feel as the roster has been mostly decided so I doubt this means much of anything. Forbidden 7 status helps her more than anything.

Ok, fair enough, I just wanted to hear your opinion.

Check out the Lyn Support thread I made a while back:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=329084

Coming from a competitive fighter background, I see a lot of potential in her character (If you've played other fighters think Baiken minus the extra weapons mixed with Hakumen, but much faster), a counter heavy character focused on Speed and combos. What kind of fighting style do you suggest for Micaiah, one that can differentiate her from the other mages we already have (Zelda and the guaranteed Plautena)? Clearly, she'd be a long range Zoning character, but as it stands those characters currently don't do too well in Smash (hopefully this is finally fixed in SSB4), but I feel Zelda (and Palutena) can fill that role just fine. As it stands, there NO character like Lyn in Smash, not even if Takamaru gets in would he be like what I propose. He uses weapons and Magic, so he seems like he would be a slower character with many diverse mid-long range options (like GG's Baiken actually). When looking at character diversity, you need to look beyond how their specials play out. You gotta look at the WHOLE character concept, and envision what archetype they would best fall under:
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/list-of-fighting-game-archetypes.156294/, and how they compare to the rest of the cast.

Anyway, one question, I still haven't played Xenoblade, but what exactly IS Modado? Is it like... Magic?
Micaiah would be a long range mage character that uses books and staves. Zelda is just a "princess" that knows magic (wouldn't be a princess in 4 since I believe Skyward Sword will overtake the Zelda roster, like TP in Brawl, and she wasn't a princess in that game) and Palutena is a goddess. Micaiah is an overall Light Mage. You can still go up close and use her book/stave to attack, but it would be minor damage. In order to really do well with her you have to work on and master mid to long range fighting. Charging spells and what not.

I am not denying Lyn's chances but I see her more of a 4th character alongside Marth, Micaiah, and Chrom. Those 4 would make a great Fire Emblem roster. I just think Micaiah's chances are a little better now.

I would like to look at both, and we should, but I think the type of moveset they could have is important. Like a sword that can be a gun (Isa) or a person that doesn't only use sword fighting (Matthew, Ghirahim, and Travis).

The Monado is an ancient sword that has magical abilities, like telling the future. The entire games revolves around it and Shulk being the "chosen one".

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I say c and d mostly. S&p as a whole isn't a remarkably popular series and most people really just know about saki thx to brawl. Then when looking at other peoples rosters most people have one of either saki, isaac, starfy, and shulk and all for pretty much the same reasons. None of these series are really popular by any means but people will gravitate to whomever they like more. Hell I only put Isaac on my roster because if I could only choose between those 4 it would b him.

Technically, Golden Sun sold pretty well outselling Pikmin and Pikmin 2 in their first 2 installments.

@DragonSniperNintendo I don't see 3 reps from any series being added this time around.

D

Deleted member

@DragonSniperNintendo: Thoughts on Roy? He and Chrom are pretty much the most likely additions.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Looking at your avatar, DragonSniperNintendo, I still don't like Micaiah's new look. The hentai-like outfit and the nose-less anime face. Ugh!

Technically, Golden Sun sold pretty well outselling Pikmin and Pikmin 2 in their first 2 installments.

@DragonSniperNintendo I don't see 3 reps from any series being added this time around.
I believe it would be two, not three. marth alongside Micaiah and Chrom. Pretty diverse there. Three different styles, three different games, and three different systems.

Two is realistic

Edit: @Arcadenik: If Micaiah were to get in, she would be her Radiant Dawn self anyways.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
How is that different from a normal sword? What kind of fighting style would he have to separate him from Roy, or Isaac, or Takamaru, etc...? I mean, from a Fighting game stand point, what would you compare him to? Not that I don't want him in, I just don't KNOW what he would play like aside from "he uses a sword." Can he boost his stats? Change stances? What?
The Monado also gives him access to a bunch of skill arts(I think that's what they're called, haven't played much). Check the Shulk thread, I'm sure they have examples there.

D

Deleted member

Looking at your avatar, DragonSniperNintendo, I still don't like Micaiah's new look. The hentai-like outfit and the nose-less anime face. Ugh!
Me neither. The old look was much better and didn't reak of sexualization.

This is also why I dislike Krystal's Adventure outfit, way too revealing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I believe it would be two, not three. marth alongside Micaiah and Chrom. Pretty diverse there. Three different styles, three different games, and three different systems.

Two is realistic
If two is realistic, then it's just Marth and Chrom.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Agreed, it's the one FE13 redesign(aside from Erikia's) that I really hate.

If two is realistic, then it's just Marth and Chrom.
He means newcomers, not reps overall.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I concur that Micaiah had a terrible re-design in FE13. One of the few awful ones.

Also, Micaiah has basically no shot at getting. She missed her chance with Brawl. If Brawl started development in 2006 as opposed to 2005, maybe Micaiah would have gotten in over Ike.

D

Deleted member

Micaiah would be a long range mage character that uses books and staves. Zelda is just a "princess" that knows magic (wouldn't be a princess in 4 since I believe Skyward Sword will overtake the Zelda roster, like TP in Brawl, and she wasn't a princess in that game) and Palutena is a goddess. Micaiah is an overall Light Mage. You can still go up close and use her book/stave to attack, but it would be minor damage. In order to really do well with her you have to work on and master mid to long range fighting. Charging spells and what not.

I am not denying Lyn's chances but I see her more of a 4th character alongside Marth, Micaiah, and Chrom. Those 4 would make a great Fire Emblem roster. I just think Micaiah's chances are a little better now.

I would like to look at both, and we should, but I think the type of moveset they could have is important. Like a sword that can be a gun (Isa) or a person that doesn't only use sword fighting (Matthew, Ghirahim, and Travis).

The Monado is an ancient sword that has magical abilities, like telling the future. The entire games revolves around it and Shulk being the "chosen one".
Ok, I still don't see how Michaiah separates herself from the likes of Palutena (can't she use a staff too?) Anyway, you're suggesting something that sounds a lot like Dizzy, which would be cool, but I think Zelda could use a nice buff/revamp instead of getting a whole new character, but that's just me.

I never liked her design to begin with, which is a shame coming from a series that has so many good looking girls (looking forward to Seriya in FE13), but I agree, her and Ike got the short end of the stick when it comes to re-designs.

D

Deleted member

I concur that Micaiah had a terrible re-design in FE13. One of the few awful ones.

Also, Micaiah has basically no shot at getting. She missed her chance with Brawl. If Brawl started development in 2006 as opposed to 2005, maybe Micaiah would have gotten in over Ike.
More like she never had a chance in the first place since a big amount of support for her didn't start until Lyn was deconfirmed.

@DragonSniperNintendo: Thoughts on Roy? He and Chrom are pretty much the most likely additions.
Chrom I see, sure. But I don't see Roy and I can't understand why everyone keeps requesting his return. Micaiah and Lyn both stand better chances IMO.

Roy's only recent because of DLC. Why should that help him get in over an actual Awakening character? Or Radiant Dawn character? Shadow Dragon and Heroes of Light and Shadow character?

Would he only get in because of popularity? Is that the only reason?

I loved playing as Roy in Melee, I really did, but I don't care for his return. He was a clone of Marth then and I feel he would still be similar because of being a light sword user like Marth.

At least Chrom is a semi heavy sword user, Micaiah is a mage, and Ly is a double sword user.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Roy was planned for Brawl, is one of the two most wanted newcomers in Japan, and Intelligent Systems is contemplating remaking his game. He also the most wanted Fire Emblem character in the West.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think the design that got the shaft the most was Ike.

It seems like all of the other designs are ether hated or indifferent, but Roy seems to be the only one that got notable praise.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So recentness is the only reason a character should be included?

Most people who want Roy back want him back because they enjoyed how he played in Melee.

Also, what ChronoBound said.

Brawl was based off of Gamecube and GBA mainly. Not the Wii. They typically pull from the previous gen mostly, based off of looking at past rosters.

It was too late for her then, it is not too late for her now. When they are actually looking at the Wii. The game came out like a year before Brawl and they were looking at Gamecube and Path of Radiance, where they got Ike. How did she have a shot then?

Micaiah has a better shot in 4. She would also be her Radiant Dawn self if she got in.

@Shinpichu: Recentness isn't the only thing, but it helps.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Brawl was based off of Gamecube and GBA mainly. Not the Wii. They typically pull from the previous gen mostly, based off of looking at past rosters.

It was too late for her then, it is not too late for her now. When they are actually looking at the Wii. The game came out like a year before Brawl and they were looking at Gamecube and Path of Radiance, where they got Ike. How did she have a shot then?

Micaiah has a better shot in 4.
I like how you ignore the fact that Brawl had Radiant Dawn content. Radiant Dawn was released in February 2007 in Japan. It had a song, trophies, and stickers.

Compare that to Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime which technically were released before Brawl, but received no content.

I think Phantom Hourglass, DK Bongo Blast, and DK Jungle Climber were the most recent games to receive content in Brawl.

D

Deleted member

Chrom I see, sure. But I don't see Roy and I can't understand why everyone keeps requesting his return. Micaiah and Lyn both stand better chances IMO.

Roy's only recent because of DLC. Why should that help him get in over an actual Awakening character? Or Radiant Dawn character? Shadow Dragon and Heroes of Light and Shadow character?

Would he only get in because of popularity? Is that the only reason?

I loved playing as Roy in Melee, I really did, but I don't care for his return. He was a clone of Marth then and I feel he would still be similar because of being a light sword user like Marth.

At least Chrom is a semi heavy sword user, Micaiah is a mage, and Ly is a double sword user.
The reason why Roy has a good shot of returning is because of various reasons.

One of which is of course his huge popularity. He was one of the most popular characters in Melee and still remains highly popular to this date. He is the most wanted character in Japan and is a popular request to return in the West, putting him as among the Top 10 most wanted characters.

Another thing is that Roy was also planned to return from Brawl (as part of the Forbidden Seven), meaning that Sakurai has interest in his inclusion.

It's going to be Roy or Chrom. Lyn and Micaiah don't have a chance because they were never planned for Brawl (Lyn was an Assist Trophy) and have few requests. The fan base for Fire Emblem female character are a lot smaller than you think.

D

Deleted member

Oh boy... You sure did it now. Don't get me wrong. I totally agree with you (minus the whole Lyn and Micaiah having a better chance
I say they all have an equally impossible chance of getting in, with Roy being a possible DLC addition
), but I can already tell this is gonna cause a huge ****storm.

Anyway, I'm not taking part in this, I'll just sit back and watch the fireworks... Where's my popcorn...?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Honestly only Marth, Roy, and Ephriam got proper artwork. I'm not going to call them re-designs anymore after realizing they're just wearing the standard clothes for the classes you recruit them as. Either way they don't matter all that much.

I'm also seeing a bit of a flashback with all of this unique/new weapon/female stuff, reminds me of support I gave/still give Caeda back when I joined the speculation group. lol

I like how you ignore the fact that Brawl had Radiant Dawn content. Radiant Dawn was released in February 2007 in Japan. It had a song, trophies, and stickers.

Compare that to Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime which technically were released before Brawl, but received no content.

I think Phantom Hourglass, DK Bongo Blast, and DK Jungle Climber were the most recent games to receive content in Brawl.
But they didn't receive a character. Ike was his Path of Radiance self, not Radiant Dawn.

And I was mainly talking about the roster (and stages). Wii got in but not based off of the roster.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
But they didn't receive a character. Ike was his Path of Radiance self, not Radiant Dawn.

And I was mainly talking about the roster (and stages). Wii got in but not based off of the roster.
That was because people were more familiar with Ike's Path of Radiance design, especially in the West (Radiant Dawn did not get released in the West until November 2007). Ike stood in represent both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

The stage Fire Emblem got was also a generic one for the entire series, not from a particular game in the series.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion

Micaiah has a better shot in 4. She would also be her Radiant Dawn self if she got in.

@Shinpichu: Recentness isn't the only thing, but it helps.
Well yeah of course thats how they have to do it. And If we simply go by Recentness than chrom would be the numbe one pick. But it's also popularity and relevancy. Admittedly she is very relevant in her given game, but overall micaiha isn't that important to the franchise and not really that high in demand for an inclusion over chrom, Roy, or even lyn. Not saying she wouldn't be a good addition either but overall I don't see her as being the best choice to rep the series

Oh boy... You sure did it now. Don't get me wrong. I totally agree with you (minus the whole Lyn and Micaiah having a better chance
I say they all have an equally impossible chance of getting in, with Roy being a possible DLC addition
), but I can already tell this is gonna cause a huge ****storm.

Anyway, I'm not taking part in this, I'll just sit back and watch the fireworks... Where's my popcorn...?
Yeah, I expect that too :awesome:

But still, I like Roy but I don't want to see his return when he is potentially the same class type as Marth. He would be changed up now, but how much exactly would he be changed up.

Does he still have a chance? Oh yes. Do I think he could get in? Possibly. Do I feel he is the best choice? No. The two women would be better IMO.

Just saying.......(waits for Roy fans to decapitate me now :( )

@3Bismyname: I know popularity and revelency matter too, but so does being recent. It all matters. I am not saying I don't see Chrom. I am just saying he shouldn't be the only newcomer. Especially since I can't see him AND Ike.

Not guaranteeing she would get in but I still believe she is a good choice.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Honestly only Marth, Roy, and Ephriam got proper artwork. I'm not going to call them re-designs anymore after realizing they're just wearing the standard clothes for the classes you recruit them as. Either way they don't matter all that much.
Leaf's artwork was good too. However, I think the reason why Marth, Leaf, and Ephraim had good artwork was because their art was done by series veterans (Ephraim's artist was done by the artist for the FE6 manga). Though that does not explain why Ike's art was so bad (it was done by artiste for FE6/FE7). Roy's art was done by the designer for The Last Story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom