• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rollout IS a good move

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Fortunately, Jigglypuff is not a popular character. I used Jiggly at a tournament (randomed) and my opponent kept getting caught off guard by the roll. The Roll and the pound are the only two useful B attacks imo.
How could you forget Rest? Anyways, rollout is okay, use it sparingly and not too predictably otherwise you're going to get punished, A LOT. Though I find using it against characters that are about to land is useful since there's a slight delay before they could do anything upon hitting the ground.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
nah, even though it got hella nerfed rest is still a decent move if you are able to combo into like Dair>Rest..... Rollout on the other hand is pretty much absolutely worthless, why would you hit them with a rollout during landing lag when you could start up an aerial chain instead.... sure it has kill power but thats about all it has... projectiles absolutely own it annnnnddd it leaves you hella open to pretty much any attack during its startup or right when you finish..... basically unless you feel like pissing off some noobs and spamming a dumb attack then you shouldnt use rollout.... there is FFA of course which then it can have its uses, but honestly who plays ffa

Flob

Smash Cadet
...sigh... It is not that you can use rollout anytime, but so can't rest but so can't a smash. You have to weave it in your play and hit them when they don't expect it. You shouldn't just use it when you and your opponent are standing both at the other end of FD. No. That's just plain stupid.

SilverSonic101

Smash Cadet
When I team up with my sister she uses Jigglypuff and uses Rollout a lot. She still needs practice because she falls off the edge but usually it hits. Often it KOs. Rollout is a good KO move.

Pai

Smash Cadet
NNID
Paestries
3DS FC
2036-7921-7608
I love rollout.
It's basically my new rest because I'm scared to try rest now since my opponents see it coming... And I just refuse to practice my rest.
Of course, my opponents see rollout coming too, but they can't dodge it forever. Usually.

Mittenkiss

Smash Cadet
Rollout is an amazing KO move. I tend to use it a lot of the times whenever I want to KO someone.
It is pretty easy to dodge, but many of the times the opponent gets fooled when you turn around and slam into them, imo at least.

TheStig

Smash Lord
i think rollout has higher priority than in melee. i remember in melee when rollout could be beatem by jabs and fairs? i like to break their shields by hitting them 3 times.

Peck

Smash Apprentice
Rollout has good Ko'ing power but using it also has big chances of Self Destructing.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
wow, suicide seriously should not be a problem what so ever. You know you can jump right afterwards if you're off the stage, right?

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
are you talking about that jiggs video where I suicided with a rollout on my last stock? Because I was messing around there.

Glick

Smash Lord
Rollout is amazing. I'm not going to stop using it and ditto everyone elses' jiggz just because you don't like it. This topic should say "how to use rollout effectively". Your negative opinions are pretty useless.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Wario boards: friendly and relaxed.
Jiggs boards: angry and depressive

It just doesn't make sense.

Peck

Smash Apprentice
wow, suicide seriously should not be a problem what so ever. You know you can jump right afterwards if you're off the stage, right?
yeah but you have to get out of Rollout first and by then you'll have self destructed.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Wario boards: friendly and relaxed.
Jiggs boards: angry and depressive

It just doesn't make sense.
Wario is good, jiggs is bad, whats not to get?

yeah but you have to get out of Rollout first and by then you'll have self destructed.
Then hold the opposite direction that your going near the edge so you don't fly off and kill yourself, it seriously shouldn't be a problem at all.

Glick

Smash Lord
The way you use it effectively is by not using it *******.
You're an idiot.

Anyway, you can use rollout effectively with a low chance of being punished. Its common for a Lucario to force you into using your second jump so they can hit you with aura sphere as soon as you hit the ground. You know why this is? Its because when you land you have a few frames of vulnerability. I find myself using rollout medium charged on someone who's landing. If I miss-time it, which can be common I just roll off the stage or turn back towards them. There isn't much lag if you don't hit anything. I save my rollouts for kills usually.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Its common for a Lucario to force you into using your second jump so they can hit you with aura sphere as soon as you hit the ground.
If you fall for that **** you suck. Rollout may be decent when the people you play against aren't amazing, but I play with amazing people so sit the **** down son.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
If you fall for that **** you suck. Rollout may be decent when the people you play against aren't amazing, but I play with amazing people so sit the **** down son.
The trick with rollout is not to abuse it, use it when your opponent is really defensive and you are close to them as a surprise attack. Also, you have to mindgame to use it well. If your opponent is trying to punish you with (lets say he's Marth) shieldbreaker by charging it after you released it (you released it at a bad time, a well or average timed shieldbreaker will hit Jigglypuff), you have to do a turn back right out of his range and do a sharp turn back afterwards. This will mess with his confidence in hitting you. Fianlly, if your opponent starts a long commitment attack (Falcon punch, for example, thinking it will hit you, or they are a bad player, use rollout and kill)

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Dude, you seriously aren't going to hit a good player with rollout, and even if you manage to not get punished, you gain nothing because you didn't hit them, so why not do something more productive.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Rollout is actually a good move. It's Jiggy's second best kill move. It's not that hard to hit with, and you can hit people who are good at the game. Most people don't know much about rollout anyways. If someone is sheilding too much, it will punish their sheild. If someone does an UpB onto the stage, it's a perfect hit for rollout. Using it on people who don't have good projectile attacks is also a good idea. Mind games and rollout are bacially a canon couple. Be creative, and you can get some good rollouts in.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
If you can hit people with rollout it means the people you play with suck, end of discussion boss.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
the only reason i use rollout is because my cousin mains kirby and uses cutter as a set up, and i use rollout to punish it. but he already found ways around it after i picked up using it in 1 sitting. soooo yeah.

Flob

Smash Cadet
Bowyer, weren't you 'back to melee'? If you are which I presume to be true, please don't mix the melee Rollout and the brawl Rollout up. I agree with you, melee rollout was only good for FFAs, but brawl's rollout has so much more potential that you shouldn't be flaming the move.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Bowyer, weren't you 'back to melee'? If you are which I presume to be true, please don't mix the melee Rollout and the brawl Rollout up. I agree with you, melee rollout was only good for FFAs, but brawl's rollout has so much more potential that you shouldn't be flaming the move.
Against some characters, rollout is Jigglypuff's only chance, if mixed with other moves. Against Metaknight and G&W, their aerial priority is os much higher than yours that if you do not use rollout, dash attack, side tilt, as well as shield grabs a lot more, you're done. The trick is to anticipate how they will punish it. Against a DK, they will likely try to do their 9' Punch or the like, so right before you get into range of the punch, do a sharp turn back and then immediately turn back so you will hit him. Against a G&W, he will try to D-Tilt you (F-smash leaves him too vulnerable if he charges it up, but a good option for himm otherwise, as well as D-smash being pointless) or shield and when you sharp turn, he will 1-2 punch you. Anticipate this adjust accordingly. Stagnate the release of the rollout (if you make it obvious, which you should avoid) on the D-tilt and once again, use sharp turns right out of his range for F-smash and D-tilt. However, if he is abusing 1-2 punch now, then just make it so you don't use sharp turns. This makes it so he can't hit you when you pass him with rollout. Turn farther away and try to give yourself enough room not to be vulnerable.

I think I should write a guide to rollout. If anyone else posts yes, I will write a guide lol.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
I'm not confusing the two. Sure, brawl rollout is a lot better and harder to punish, but its still bad to use and is still punishable. Like I said earlier, if you can hit your opponents with rollout, your opponents are doing something wrong.

Also, I played Wario for the 1st time today and wow, he is a god send jiggs clone :)

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
You're a *******. Rollout is way the **** too easy to dodge, especially in comparison to the other moves you could have been using.

Top Bottom