• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rollout IS a good move

Flob

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. What is your guys oppinion about Rollout? I think it is a pretty good move: It has great KOing power and it is relatively easy to hit with, this combined with the fact that it stabs shields and doesn't need very long to get to the KOcharge makes it a quite good move. Actually I think it is one of my best killing moves.

Please give your guys opinion about this move, that is, in my opinion, greatly underrated.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yes, the trick is using it at good times. However, if the try to dodge it, a good player will anticipate that and have a tight turn so it will hit them (with less power though) on the way back.

Flob

Smash Cadet
Totally agrees. It is quite easy to dodge, but if you learn a bit how to counter these dodges and how to pressure them when that doesn't work it is a hell of a killing move. Besides, it is more difficult to dodge then you would think, cause if stabs shields and punishes rolls. Rollout is a much better (KO)move then any of his smashes imo.

Tyser

Smash Champion
You get punished for using such a useless move. If anything, use it over wifi. It's full of win there.

Flob

Smash Cadet
You call a KO move useless? Strange... And what do you mean with 'get punished'? If you hit your opponent they are the one who gets punished and in pretty every other case you just roll through them (e.g.: when they shield, airdodge or sidestep). But you're right off course. You're prolly a better jiggs then I am. But I don't say you should spam the move, but in some cases it is just useful to get an easy low percentaged KO with it.

Flob

Smash Cadet
That's just plain dumb :p. No, but serious. It is not that you can do it all the time. It IS a situational move. But each move is situational. Only the situations for some moves happen to occur much more. You do have to seek your opponents 'vulnerability' and stuff.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
If you aren't going full speed, you can shield-grabbed, so be careful. Its a very situational move thats less useful than the WoP or drill resting. Only use sharp turns if you KNOW they will not shield grab you, because it kills your speed making you vulnerable to that. Great but situational. Good if they B-Up standing on the stage.

TheStig

Smash Lord
besides rest, rollout is her second most powerful kill move. it can be use effectively in certain situations. I like to use it after f-throwing my opponent then hitting them with rest before they touch the ground.

Ulevo

Smash Master
There are two reasons people don't like my Jiggs. This is one of them. If properly inserted into a game, this has the potential to win games. It has great uses. Tech chasing, edge guard set ups, abusing recoveries onto the stage, combining it with B Turnaround, even poking shields. If you spam it, it will never serve you justice.

Blauw

Smash Cadet
I can see it being used effectively in FFA when the attention is not always directed to you, but it's too easily dodged in 1v1

KillaBunneh

Smash Rookie
Rollout adds great mind game. Jigglypuff is usually a slow character but she has a move like rollout that makes her quick and deadly. Especially if you get knocked off stage, an edgeguarder will get punished for being there, just dont make it noticable or just dont charge it for a long time. It is still deadly when charged for a second.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Rollout adds great mind game. Jigglypuff is usually a slow character but she has a move like rollout that makes her quick and deadly. Especially if you get knocked off stage, an edgeguarder will get punished for being there, just dont make it noticable or just dont charge it for a long time. It is still deadly when charged for a second.
This is mostly what makes it dangerous. People assume it is like it's former counter part from Melee where it was garbage on anything but Mute City. This version of Roll Out not only has a huge power buff but it charges ludicrously fast. I would actually wager that I could KO with this move better and faster than it takes time to use most Smash attacks, not just slow ones.

Flob

Smash Cadet
Again I agree with you. Rollout is stronger than a smash, faster than a smash, more mindgamable than a smash and it has much more range than a smash. Rollout > Smash (Jiggly's ones at least :p)

orochijes

Smash Journeyman
One of my fav attacks. Use it sparringly, and it usually catches people off gaurd.

Glick

Smash Lord
Rollout kills most at around 80% on FD.
Rest kills at about 65-70%

I think rollout is a great alternative when you can't land a rest. I think.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Good application to get rollout to hit: Whenever an opponent lands from a jump, there is a split second where they can't shield or dodge. If you time Rollout so that you catch a jumping opponent just as they land, it will hit.

Expect the opponent to airdodge. You want to make it so that rollout's hitbox is overlapping them just as their feet touch the ground.

Blauw

Smash Cadet
Exactly. Finally someone who said something right.
Thank you sir

Rollout kills most at around 80% on FD.
Rest kills at about 65-70%

I think rollout is a great alternative when you can't land a rest. I think.
I don't think rest and rollout should be combared. They are two totally different moves, with different uses and different ways of using. The only thing they have in common is that they got the power. And in 1v1, if you can't land the rest, I doubt the enemy would get them hit with rollout.
In FFA, on the other hand, is rest not a smart move to use. You might kill someone, but you'll be open for attacks for some time and you'll probably get killed yourself. It's clear that rollout>rest in FFA.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Also consider that a half-charged rollout is more than sufficient in most cases. With this in mind, the move really doesn't have to be as slow as you'd think.

Tyser

Smash Champion
Bottom line is that this move is not very reliable. You'll get fu.cked up pretty well against someone who is not a noob.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
ARE YOU ****ING STUPID? A good player isn't going to use a move that is laggy enough to be hit by rollout.
Can you learn to read?

When a character lands on the ground at any time, there are about 2 frames of complete vulnerability. Even if the character air-dodges, if you have a consiatant or lingering hitbox touching them just as they land, that move will be unblockable by the opponent.

Rollout moves jigglypuff very fast and has a large hitbox. Time it right, and you'll be able to use it against any opponent who's landing after using their second jump.

If they use a momentum attack to try and avoid it or an up B, you can just turn it around because it's rollout.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Also, an example where a little...oh I dunno...creative application...will help is this:

Marth likes to space with his sword. Fsmash for example. Said attack takes 10 frames to start and has considerable lag at the end. Some Marths DO try to occasionally use Fsmash on its own. And if you don't like the fsmash analogy, use shiel breaker in its place.

Jigglypuff's jump starts in about 6 frames. Jumping backwards to avoid incoming attack and simultaneously part-charging a reverse rollout will hit during the lag of that whiffed move.

Do we have frame times for rollout? I think you'd be surprised.

Viktormoros

Smash Rookie
I agree that Rollout can be used for mindgames. You don't even have to hit people with this move to consider it useful. It can also be used for a quick spacing on recovery.

If the person you are playing against is trying to smack you around when you are off the stage floating around. You can fly up and quickly charge roll out, shoot right across to the other side of the stage and grab the edge over there, or just land on the stage if they are too far away to hit you at the end of the roll. Most people assume you are going to try and hit them with it, and don't think that you aren't even aiming for them.

If you just try it on the ground in a 1vs1 however. I can agree that is pretty useless.

KillaBunneh

Smash Rookie
I never played a pro before but rollout is an extreme fun move to rack up kills online FFA. I love using it most when players(noob players and theres plenty of them) nearly knock me off to my death, then i rollout either when im high enough or on the side of the map where the viewport of the game cannot see the character. Then I come back knocking the enemy's lights out. Its funny when I rack up enough kills and players start seeing rollout as a threat when used in the edge of the map, then they start to only aim for that ****ing jigglypuff. Then I see them charging their smash and I aim the rollout for the ledge, thus the opponent misses my jigglypuff and I see the frame lag after their smash and do an 11% unescapable ledge attack(where I drop down, jump, and double kick em to da face!).

The moral to this story is that not every player has catlike reflexes to dodge a fatal blow of the rollout. Even if they do, the game does not have the cheat code to reduce its frame rate of vunerability and magically dodge a rollout. When rollout is abused then the player has knoledge to use the reflexes to tell their character to jump, dodge, or attack the noobish jigglypuff player. When you get your enemy to be aware of the rollout, then your enemy will probably change way of approching your gameplay. Therefore, it opens up new ways of attacking your enemy because they are focused on rollout. Mindgame.

Trozz

Smash Ace
Fortunately, Jigglypuff is not a popular character. I used Jiggly at a tournament (randomed) and my opponent kept getting caught off guard by the roll. The Roll and the pound are the only two useful B attacks imo.

Top Bottom