• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Paper Scissors! (Edmonton, AB) - NEW LOCATION - April 27th, 2013 - Edmonton, Alberta

T-block

B2B TST
are you going through splitters?

not really sure what your problem is... just plug in the cables like you're plugging them into a TV and it should be fine

if you have splitters, maybe there's something wrong with your splitter?

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
okay, all i need is the program name otherwise idk its going to get ugly haha I don't to stream with no sound, although i guess i could just go google dazzle and adobe and find out myself

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
p.s BRANDON PLEASE REMEMBER TALES OF SYMPHONIA THANK YOU VERY MUCH <3

:009:
edit: good luck to everyone tomorrow
you're gonna hate me for this one but I forgot Tales of Symphonia when I was out the door getting to Stephan's. But if I hafta, I could get it from home after the tournament or whatevs and drop it off at your place. I don't mind.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
If anyone can bring compinint cables I will love you for ever

ganonlink

Smash Journeyman
shiro. i think stphan owns one

dan, do you want me to bring my 64 set up?

also. might be a bit late. working till 11, but hopefully i have time to bring all my stuff

:phone:

Limeee

Smash Champion
you're gonna hate me for this one but I forgot Tales of Symphonia when I was out the door getting to Stephan's. But if I hafta, I could get it from home after the tournament or whatevs and drop it off at your place. I don't mind.
im not gonna hate you lol you dont owe me anything youre just being nice ^^

if you're willing to do that, that would be sick.

:009:
also hungover luke real terror

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
um, what lol... this is like a tenth of the size of anything significant by cbc standards, at least thats what I was told during a dance thing where cbc showed up

also what I meant to say, is there MELEE going on??? cause that would obviously be the reason cbc would call.

uhh, and I'd bring melee if melee people show up.

dont mind my posting style atm.

I just like editing and stuff

ganonlink

Smash Journeyman
i had fun getting wrecked. i was hoping we would have had a bigger attendance but gg's all around... so tired

:phone:

brningpyre

Smash Lord
This has been discussed a few times over the last few tournaments, so I'd like to bring it up again - the MK ban, and the Japanese ruleset. I'll be polling everyone to see what our community wants to do from this point forwards, and consider that in the decision.

I would like everyone to PM/text me their response (this is a private poll). If you have some arguments you'd like to add, please post them as well.

[collapse=Choice 1: Unity Ruleset]http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301032[/collapse]

[collapse=Choice 2: Japanese Ruleset]Rules
1. 3 stocks
2. 10-minute timer
3. Best-of-3 sets (WF, LF, and GF will be Best-of-5)
4. Double elimination
5. All items off
6. Team attack on
7. Changing controls allowed
8. Pause is turned off

Limiting Rules/Bans
1. No using infinites for stalling purposes
2. No bugs/glitches of any kind
3. No Infinite Dimensional Cape (incidental use of IDC is tolerable)
4. Ledge grab limit of 50 (I would like to have this as 35, though)
5. No scrooging (player may travel under the stage only once from the ledge)
* "Traveling under the stage once from the ledge" is defined as dropping off the ledge on one side of the stage and reaching the height of the original ledge on the other side of the stage.
Exceptions to Rule 5:
When the scrooging player is attacked by the other, and takes damage.

Stages
Starter:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville

Counterpick:
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1[/collapse]

---

Before you vote, I'd like to add something. My strategy for rulesets (this differs a little from T-block) has been to prepare Alberta players for major tournaments, and to promote a metagame that won't get stale with a small community.

One reason I made the switch was because many upcoming tournaments that AB players would travel to would likely use the Unity ruleset. Phoenix and WHOBO are both Unity tournaments that AB players are planning to go to. Using the Japanese stagelist will screw AB players over on CP's in Unity tournaments.

Another was that our region was centralizing around one character. The past top 5 results have been:
MK, MK, MK, MK, PT, MK (march)
MK, MK, PE, DI, MK, MK (early-may)
MK, MK, MK, MR, PT, MK (late-may)
MK, MK, PT, PK, FL, MK (august)
MK, MK, MK, SN, PK, DI (sepetember)
MK, MR, MK, SN, MK, MK (october)

I felt that this was making matches repetitive, with our metagame focusing on only one matchup.

The third reason was that AB players complained very often about the effect MK had on the game. This was especially apparent at Genesis, and especially from the players now opposed to the ban, who have since changed their minds. I had felt that the community in AB had largely supported the new ruleset, which is why I'm now polling everyone to see how they really feel on it, having had some time to digest the new metagame.

The twins had argued that there was only a week of notice that MK would be banned. This is not true. The notice went out Sept. 30. The October tournament was still played with MK allowed (on Oct. 15), and we switched over for the November tourney (Nov. 26). That's two months, not one week.

Admittedly, we switched over earlier than many other communities. This was part of my above strategy as a TO to prepare AB players for major tournaments. Mike W. can post on why he made the change if he wants to.

I had been planning to make a post like this for a while, and to ask after the March tournament. I've decided to do it early, because of how players have approached me on the issue.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
This is separate from the above post:

CHOOSE A MARCH TOURNAMENT DATE
3, 10, 17, 24, 31

I would prefer to do it on Mar. 10 or Mar. 17.

Please let me know if you can't make it ASAP, so I can have flyers ready for Steve on the EG stream, and for FB and Twitter anouncements. I had asked a couple weeks ago, but didn't get any response.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Lol twins did you really say you had only one week notice? If you did that was completely your fault.

I wouldn't mind MK back, but for selfish reasons. In principle I don't really mind either way, but I'd love to have MK back for marth lol.

T-block

B2B TST
bahaha look at the PT in those results

hmm... is the japan trip still happening? that tournament would use the japanese ruleset listed there i'd assume?

KillLock

Smash Lord
Okay, I casted my vote.

Anyway just so we're all aware even if this does pass just remember that the sole reason for MK being banned was over-centralization. But I can meet in the middle and agree with this decision because of the more limited stage list. However I will be picking up right where I left off before he was Banned because I solely believe he is the strongest character in the game and no one should go without him as a main or a secondary in any given situation.

Also I'd like to mention that it isn't worth having MK banned just to lose 2-3 valuable players who have been with the community and contributed to it for a long time. On top of this I believe that if we want to improve to top level play, following in Japan's footsteps is the right direction to go.

MeSSi

Smash Ace
kk sorry keith. i was exaggertateing a bit to just get my point across.

i mean honestly, who can pick up (from around here) a new a char and place consistently in the money.

kelvin had 2 months (while working and ****) to pick up a completely new char from scratch, while everyone else had their mains to play with. i think that is was a huge disadvantage to him and considering how we invested time and money into this community, i hardly think thats fair.

i shouldnt have said that i would boycott these tournies if mk wasnt reinstated. i dont mean to threaten. it s just that i dont feel i can compete anymore.

as of rite now, i am forced to play MU's with chars that i am not comfortable with, which is a huge disadvantage considering i have to play against ppls mains (whom they have have been playing for close 2-3 yrs)
i
i feel that u guys went along with the unity ruleset and thought that kelvin and I would be ok with it. i tried to adjust and play, but the more tournies i went to, the more i had considered quitting the game. Just try to put yurselves in our shoes, what if sonic or wario or GW would be banned tomorrow, wouldnt u think that would put u at a disdavantage? wouldnt u feel that yur not at yur best? cuz thats how i feel.

if the vote fails and mk is not brought back, its cool and i will respect the decision of the community but we wont be coming to these tournies.

honestly, for us, without our main this game isnt fun anymore and thats what the essence of a video game is about. we just dont have fun, its almost like going to these is a chore. i dont feel competitive without mk. i am essentially handing my money to jack/luke, whereas before i felt as though i could win.

i realize that we are having this vote because of what we said yesterday and i appreciate that u guys are considering this. it means alot that u guys care enough to try and keep me and kelvin around.

thats my rant. i will rebuddle to comments. ty

KillLock

Smash Lord
good post Alvin +1

Keith my vote is for Marth 17th as well.

One other thing I wanted to bring up. Me, Luke and Steve were talking about new ways to help keep new players to stay when they come to our tourneys and it got me thinking on a few methods.

1.(Socal did a no entry fee for new comers for their first event, in this case): No entry fee's for either Doubles or Singles bracket(Or both) for first event.

2.(Steve's Idea): Randomized Teams so we can pair up more experienced players with newer players to make them feel more comfortable/help them adjust to everything.

3. No entry fee at all for tournaments for a few months to generate interest?(dunno about this one)

Those are just a few off the top of my head right now, I'm sure we could figure some more things out but what do you guys think?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I don't oppose MK with a Japan ruleset. I oppose MK with the unity ruleset otherwise though because blatantly put, MK almost gets a free win because, let's face it. He can play like a real ****** if he's got the tools of the stage to use it. The stagelist for Japan though reduces this by a fair amount.

Also, I can't put myself in Alvin or Kelvin's shoes because I don't play MK. But if Sonic were ever banned for, god forbid, being broken with a ruleset that favors him? It's my personal thing in which I put up or shut up. I like this game for more then just Sonic, and I'd have taken my move to the likes of Yoshi, Wario, Snake, whomever I had to. If MK remains banned, I still think that Alvin and Kelvin, you guys should still come. I know you're all trying, but you're focusing way too hard on Meta Knight as an excuse for losing and not looking at yourselves. If Meta Knight really is the reason why you guys are winning, is that your skill with him? Are you nothing without him?

I don't mean to sound rude about it or anything, but Alvin. You outright ragequitted against me before the match wasn't even close to done. You've fought me Snake vs. Sonic when I thought I had the match won before and your damage output and outplaying me took you to whipping my ***. That wasn't lack of MK. That was you. This tournament was entirely different. I almost want MK to remain banned because I want to prove that you and Kelvin both still have what it takes once you've gotten that damn character out of your heads and realize its you as the players that need to reassess.

I've got no problem fighting Meta Knight. Straight-up, ask anyone and I'll say that I'd much RATHER fight an MK then someone like say, Ice Climbers or Snake or something (even if Snake is still cool to fight). If Meta Knight is unbanned and we embrace the Japanese ruleset? Awesome. If I suddenly see Alvin and Kelvin at 3rd and 4th because Meta Knight is back, all the more power to them. The important thing is that you guys stick around, but I think that having MK gone does more good for you two as players to grow.

With all due respect, you guys did put up. You did try, and if it's not cutting it for you guys, pick MK again if we unban him. It's just disappointing that you guys are so discouraged otherwise. I do not want to beat either of you on the account of a loss of confidence.

I kinda wanna make a point of it even by asking for Sonic to be banned, just to see what I'd do. Or how I'd do even. Something's gotta give to inspire a real competitor to keep going regardless of what's thrown their way.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
I'm down for banning Sonic.

loljk

1.(Socal did a no entry fee for new comers for their first event, in this case): No entry fee's for either Doubles or Singles bracket(Or both) for first event.
I had actually meant to do that for this tournament, but had forgotten. That's my bad.

We'll definitely do this, though. No entry fee for first-timers for either singles or doubles. I'll probably put money into the pot myself, or (if my money's tight) we'll just leave it with a slightly smaller pot.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
By the way, guys: I'm not going to assume anyone votes one way or the other. My assumptions that AB players supported it were one of the reasons I put it into place.

So you HAVE TO PM/TEXT ME. I need the attention~

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
You nerds just need to pick up a new character or gtfo. Don't need people who qq about mk being banned.

Japan stage list + MK ban mite b cool

EDIT: Oh, we only have 2 choices? Well ****. I'd rather take Japan stage list with mk than unity cp bull**** anyday.

Top Bottom