• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Paper Scissors! (Edmonton, AB) - NEW LOCATION - April 27th, 2013 - Edmonton, Alberta

lilseph

Smash Ace
kk sorry keith. i was exaggertateing a bit to just get my point across.

i mean honestly, who can pick up (from around here) a new a char and place consistently in the money.

kelvin had 2 months (while working and ****) to pick up a completely new char from scratch, while everyone else had their mains to play with. i think that is was a huge disadvantage to him and considering how we invested time and money into this community, i hardly think thats fair.

i shouldnt have said that i would boycott these tournies if mk wasnt reinstated. i dont mean to threaten. it s just that i dont feel i can compete anymore.

as of rite now, i am forced to play MU's with chars that i am not comfortable with, which is a huge disadvantage considering i have to play against ppls mains (whom they have have been playing for close 2-3 yrs)
i
i feel that u guys went along with the unity ruleset and thought that kelvin and I would be ok with it. i tried to adjust and play, but the more tournies i went to, the more i had considered quitting the game. Just try to put yurselves in our shoes, what if sonic or wario or GW would be banned tomorrow, wouldnt u think that would put u at a disdavantage? wouldnt u feel that yur not at yur best? cuz thats how i feel.

if the vote fails and mk is not brought back, its cool and i will respect the decision of the community but we wont be coming to these tournies.

honestly, for us, without our main this game isnt fun anymore and thats what the essence of a video game is about. we just dont have fun, its almost like going to these is a chore. i dont feel competitive without mk. i am essentially handing my money to jack/luke, whereas before i felt as though i could win.

i realize that we are having this vote because of what we said yesterday and i appreciate that u guys are considering this. it means alot that u guys care enough to try and keep me and kelvin around.

thats my rant. i will rebuddle to comments. ty
Wow that pretty much sums up exactly how I feel on the subject. Good **** man:):):)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
You nerds just need to pick up a new character or gtfo. Don't need people who qq about mk being banned.

Japan stage list + MK ban mite b cool

EDIT: Oh, we only have 2 choices? Well ****. I'd rather take Japan stage list with mk than unity cp bull**** anyday.
Are you implying that you'd come back (to singles as well) if MK was legal + japan ruleset?

ganonlink

Smash Journeyman
5. No scrooging (player may travel under the stage only once from the ledge)
* "Traveling under the stage once from the ledge" is defined as dropping off the ledge on one side of the stage and reaching the height of the original ledge on the other side of the stage.
I dont think I like this rule :glare:. if it was put in place I would definitely start playing a decent character :scared:

Frio

Smash Champion
Just saying, if we actually want out community to expend we need to involve ourselves with Edmonton gamers more =/

ganonlink

Smash Journeyman
I know its not likely that it is that game changing but it still could POTENTIALLY make a difference. but im not really opposed to changing the rule set, just saying I would probably pick up a sub at the very least

ganonlink

Smash Journeyman
Im not sure about the 17th for myself, I think there is going to be an edmonton gamers tourney the same day. also Im all for random teams... just sayin... :p

Cathy

Smash Cadet
I say we ban Snake for next tournament. I'm not coming to another tournament until Snake is banned.

KillLock

Smash Lord
I dont think I like this rule :glare:. if it was put in place I would definitely start playing a decent character :scared:
It's to help prevent things like timeouts. Take Smashville for example where you can glide from the platform from one side, and by the time you're on the other side the platform is there with you where you can land safely. Rinse and repeat.

T-block

B2B TST
anyways, i'm in a bit of a reflective mood, so real talk:

Admittedly, we switched over earlier than many other communities. This was part of my above strategy as a TO to prepare AB players for major tournaments. Mike W. can post on why he made the change if he wants to.
not sure what change you're referring to really... the decision to ban MK by november? partly to get a headstart on the MK-banned metagame (i did ask if any of us were thinking about going to apex iirc), and partly to address overall dissatisfaction with the game in the community. that's why i literally removed myself and my views and looked at the community vote.

anyways, do feel free to ask me anything about past decisions.

The Arsenal

Smash Cadet
everybody knows how I feel about the mk ban. its not a secret. my vote is japan ruleset wih mk reinstated.

I still plan on playin/ maining lucario and gettin better with him but it is nice to have mk as a counter pick option. when i played luke and lost game 1 with lucario, i honestly did not know what to do.

its like you are a right handed shot in hockey but you are forced to play with a left handed stick.

oh and those past results that keith posted (mk overcentralizing debate) are kinda flawed and misleading imo... jack and luke only used mk pretty much against eachother in winner finals and GF at these tournies. i am assuming the rest of the times they used marth/gw/falco/snake etc...

unless i am forgetting a time where they mained mk, if so my bad and disregard my statement.

if we stay with the unity ruleset i think i will hold off on entering tournies for a good while. the scene might lose 2-3 players which is the exact opposite of what we are trying to achieve. i think that having mk banned or unbanned doesnt really effect new players coming into our scene. we did not see a significant rise in new players once mk was banned. when mk was legal and i played new guys i did not even play with mk just so they couldnt complain about him.

dan and (everyone else) are right when they say i am qq'ing about mk. but i feel that with mk reinstated everyone will get better. my experience is that if you can outspace and outplay a good mk, you can pretty much beat the rest of the cast. the goal is to get everyone better and establish our scene as a strong region and i think that having mk back with japan ruleset will do that.

whatever you guys decide i will respect.. thanks to keith and everyone for considering a possible change in ruleset... it means a lot that you are trying to cater to essentially me and alvin

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Are we car pooling to BC, if so I want in.
I think we are. So far I think Brandon, Jack, Luke, you, and me are interested. Luke flies though. Keith will probs go to cuz he's the boss lol

Anyways, I want in on the car pool as well.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
Two things:

Does March 10 work for everyone? A couple people can't make the 17th, so we might do that instead.

Finally some interest in the car pool. I'll be driving down for sure. Brandon, Jack, Mark, Darren, and myself - that's a full car (assuming Luke is flying with his hot stewardess mom).

Can someone link the Phoenix 7 thread again? I keep losing the link.

MeSSi

Smash Ace
I don't oppose MK with a Japan ruleset. I oppose MK with the unity ruleset otherwise though because blatantly put, MK almost gets a free win because, let's face it. He can play like a real ****** if he's got the tools of the stage to use it. The stagelist for Japan though reduces this by a fair amount.

Also, I can't put myself in Alvin or Kelvin's shoes because I don't play MK. But if Sonic were ever banned for, god forbid, being broken with a ruleset that favors him? It's my personal thing in which I put up or shut up. I like this game for more then just Sonic, and I'd have taken my move to the likes of Yoshi, Wario, Snake, whomever I had to. If MK remains banned, I still think that Alvin and Kelvin, you guys should still come. I know you're all trying, but you're focusing way too hard on Meta Knight as an excuse for losing and not looking at yourselves. If Meta Knight really is the reason why you guys are winning, is that your skill with him? Are you nothing without him?

I don't mean to sound rude about it or anything, but Alvin. You outright ragequitted against me before the match wasn't even close to done. You've fought me Snake vs. Sonic when I thought I had the match won before and your damage output and outplaying me took you to whipping my ***. That wasn't lack of MK. That was you. This tournament was entirely different. I almost want MK to remain banned because I want to prove that you and Kelvin both still have what it takes once you've gotten that damn character out of your heads and realize its you as the players that need to reassess.

I've got no problem fighting Meta Knight. Straight-up, ask anyone and I'll say that I'd much RATHER fight an MK then someone like say, Ice Climbers or Snake or something (even if Snake is still cool to fight). If Meta Knight is unbanned and we embrace the Japanese ruleset? Awesome. If I suddenly see Alvin and Kelvin at 3rd and 4th because Meta Knight is back, all the more power to them. The important thing is that you guys stick around, but I think that having MK gone does more good for you two as players to grow.

With all due respect, you guys did put up. You did try, and if it's not cutting it for you guys, pick MK again if we unban him. It's just disappointing that you guys are so discouraged otherwise. I do not want to beat either of you on the account of a loss of confidence.

I kinda wanna make a point of it even by asking for Sonic to be banned, just to see what I'd do. Or how I'd do even. Something's gotta give to inspire a real competitor to keep going regardless of what's thrown their way.
brandon, its not about me qqing about mk... its that i dont have fun without him. the most fun i had at the tourney on sat. was when i was playin mk dittos with jamie.

my placings dont really change cuz i have gotten as high as 2nd with mk and as high as 3rd without him. so this isnt issue for me. i just dont feel comfortable. i dont think i can compete with luke/jack without him. their mains will always trump my randoms.

lilseph

Smash Ace
brandon, its not about me qqing about mk... its that i dont have fun without him. the most fun i had at the tourney on sat. was when i was playin mk dittos with jamie.

my placings dont really change cuz i have gotten as high as 2nd with mk and as high as 3rd without him. so this isnt issue for me. i just dont feel comfortable. i dont think i can compete with luke/jack without him. their mains will always trump my randoms.
Or that tourny when you, me, Jamie and Mark were playing MK FFA's. That was hella fun.

Limeee

Smash Champion
dumb **** always happens in my MK dittos haha.

i really want japan stagelist (does it really have those counterpicks? i thought it was just the 3 neutrals) but im unsure on whether i want mk or not (obvious bias because i just won money)

i'm undecided right now

:009:

lilseph

Smash Ace
Yeah BTW I know this doesn't really mean much because its not like I'm this driving force in the community or anything... but if MK comes back I'll make a serious effort to get better. Not having him around really opens my eyes to the situation and I now understand what its like to have something taken away from you. I really miss him :(

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
• **** with the best character in the game
• Character gets banned
• Vows to get even better whenever the character is unbanned
• ???
• wut?

Top Bottom