• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robocop Poll: Bracket Formation

Should M2K be inserted late into the Finals Bracket?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
In terms of melee...

I don't want m2k to play through normally, because it highly effects someone like myself or the other slightly lower tiered players in aus.

Players like Kas, Cao and Dekar really don't have to worry because it'd be bad seeding to put m2k against them in early rounds, but they have to face off against someone and let's be honest, the competition at rocky is going to be pretty fierce all the way through the rankings, we have a bunch of players fighting for the top place and a few lower ranked players that would like a chance to prove themself.

It would just suck majorly to pay all that money to come down to rocky and have to face m2k in round 2. and then work my way back up in the losers bracket.

Sorry, that's my two cents

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
I'm kind of on the fence on this one. If we're serious about being a competitive Smash nation, seeding international talent just because they're too good seems pretty scrubby. On the other hand, one of the best things about majors like this having the chance for top Australians compete to see who the best players are, and I don't think any Melee players are delusional enough to think they have a chance of topping M2K - M2K's presence is basically making the tournament single elimination to anyone in his bracket path.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Although, the lowest ranking players in bracket would likely suffer the exact same complete loss facing some of Australia's top players anyway. (Brawl at least, not too sure on Melee)

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Melée is not set at all, anything could happen, and I think some upsets coul happen here and there also. But m2k would probably stop that from happening because he won't be seeded against the already "established" players.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
CAO can make it so that people don't get bracket ***** due to it, derp.
If M2K decided to sandbag to purposefully get a lower seed, there is nothing Cao could do to fix the bracket without ignoring the seeding.

Not saying he would, since in theory get a lower seed is a disadvantaged, but i'm saying if he DID, then someone WOULD be getting ****ed over.

EDIT: derp

Dekar289

Smash Hero
you're assuming the w/l from pools determines bracket placement
could be a mix of w/l and location and general knowledge

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Melée is not set at all, anything could happen, and I think some upsets coul happen here and there also. But m2k would probably stop that from happening because he won't be seeded against the already "established" players.
The way I see it is though, that If you get beaten by M2K, it's basically guarantee'd the stronger Aussies you're looking forward to playing will get knocked into losers soon after, where you'll meet them (if you're playing well enough. I don't think anybody should be saying they'll get bracket *****, as M2K WILL tear through all of us in the end.

you're assuming the w/l from pools determines bracket placement
could be a mix of w/l and location and general knowledge
You forgot the criteria, "Is your name Zxv?"

Dekar289

Smash Hero
that's true, i didn't want to reveal this but too bad cao, it's public knowledge now

zxv will have his own 4 man bracket alongside the main bracket, he picks 3 people who lost in pools to be in his bracket.
the winner of this zxv bracket goes straight into grand finals.

Zxv

Smash Lord
On the other hand, one of the best things about majors like this having the chance for top Australians compete to see who the best players are, and I don't think any Melee players are delusional enough to think they have a chance of topping M2K - M2K's presence is basically making the tournament single elimination to anyone in his bracket path.
I never thought about it this way. That is a very good point to consider. Nationals are not just another tournament, but bragging rights to the title of "Best in Australia", a title that the presence of non-Australians seems to greatly disrupt... Bracketrape johns will spread like wildfire.

that's true, i didn't want to reveal this but too bad cao, it's public knowledge now

zxv will have his own 4 man bracket alongside the main bracket, he picks 3 people who lost in pools to be in his bracket.
the winner of this zxv bracket goes straight into grand finals.
looooooooooool. Ily Dekar.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
being in losers sucks. you have to play way more matches. versing m2k means being knocked into losers. people are gonna get screwed over. as the bracket progresses, and only good players are left, unlucky ones will be forced into losers, and have a harder time than the luckier ones. this messes with our results pretty significantly.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Comment from Mister Eric regarding late insertion of the very best players: It does happen in America. Example: MLGs. In the 2006 series I spectated, the top 3-4 players got auto-byes right into the finals, leaving the rest (Amateurs, Pro-Ams) to fight it out for finals placements in separate brackets.

tibs7

Smash Champion
I'll admit I'll be annoyed if I get him 1st round......
But I reckon putting him against corpse first would be ok since he'll beat everyone else right?

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
Shadow Temple, trying to find the mirror shield
being in losers sucks. you have to play way more matches. versing m2k means being knocked into losers. people are gonna get screwed over. as the bracket progresses, and only good players are left, unlucky ones will be forced into losers, and have a harder time than the luckier ones. this messes with our results pretty significantly.
Yes, it would suck to verse m2k, but the same could be said about CAO/kas. Not many people in aus will have much chance of winning against them in brackets, but they have to play through the brackets just as everyone else does, and people get knocked out, and it sucks, but it's only fair to make them go through what everyone has to go through. People shouldn't get privileges because they are better than other players.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Cao and kas is hardly as comparable as m2k. They aren't THAT far ahead of the rest of us here, it is possible that they COULD lose. This is why I don't like m2k being here, people will keep cao and kas in mind as the pros and m2k will knock everyone else out reducing the chance of others provin themselves against cao or kas.

That was just an example.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Lol, no.
We are all pretty even and the tide could turn for any top aussie.
CAO/Kas/Dekar/Emily/Zac/Ryan/SD/ZXV, all of us can knock each other out (right?).
M2K is insta-lose, or at least, an impossibly hard to win match.
And it'll be the same in Brawl.
Tibs/Ted/Corpse/Shaya... Attila/Ama, etc, can all knock each other out.
But against M2K it's just ****.
BUT, again, it's not to say you might gimp him or he MIGHT do something dumb.
It's just, aussie against aussie is much more OMGOMG WHO WILL WIN!??!?! and with M2K it's more "oh, gl".
I don't mind, tho, if I had to go up against M2K and got knocked into losers early on it'll just mean I'll have to play better so as not to lose.
It does take out some fun of the game, but I suppose nationals arent meant to be fun like little tournies and meets and that, its srs biznz.

edit:

that was a reply to surgi, lol

to rob-
we are SO much further ahead you have NNNOOOO IDEA how much better are OHHH MYYY GODDD
just for that im going to **** everyone as hard as i can
ESPECIALLY YOU!
wub<3
prepare to be man handled c:

edit2:

and would people SERIOUSLY STOP ONLY USING ME AND CAO AS EXAMPLES OR ANYTHING!??!?!?!
dekar, emily, sd, zac, ryan, zxv, THEY EXIST, TOO, AND WE ARE ALL PRETTY EQUAL!!1
JESUS!

Dekar289

Smash Hero
cao kas dekar emily sd zac ryan zxv
8 man bracket, all sets bo5
yaaay
or just round robin
be so ****en fun

Sieg

Smash Champion
Kas you so good.

You so UNBELIEVEABLY GOOD.

MAN KAS IS SO AMAZING KAS.

KAS KAS KAS.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
There's still a bunch of other players besides them. Ben, turtle etc could compete with some of those players too, don't write them off. Even I could compete with some of them. Melée is more even than everybody thinks, should just pay m2k to not enter.

Jokes. Bracket will be tense as hell though.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I played Oats and Hall recently in Melee and they are generally around the skill level of us as well. Prepare to get ****ed Australia

Sirias

Smash Champion
Why floaties.
Srsly.

Also you guys are good, yeah (Ben, Rob, Turtle, Redact), but I just think you guys aren't really AS GOOD AS you can be. c:
Meaning you would still most likely lose against us.

And I was going to mention those 2, Hall and Oats. They'll wreck everyone as well, even the top players in Aus, too!
For all we know the only Aussie might come 4th.
That would suck. XD
Considering I have no experience against Luigi, Samus or Mario. XDDD
I'm so screwed. </3

Remastered

Smash Lord
Why are they being treated any differently. Put M2K in from the start and be done with it. I don't understand why this is even a decision to be voted on. He is a player like everyone else, therefore no special treatment, no mucking around, just play Smash.

If you get him first than bad luck. I have had tedeth first at every Queensland major I have been in and Amaterasu first at 2 out of 4 queensland tourneys I have been in this year. I won't complain because thats what this game is all about, trying to be the best and having the better player as the victor.

Is it just me or is this a way for some of the Aus players who always place well to save face and last that little bit longer by not facing an opponent who is better?

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
It's not the same though, you are in the same league as the other Aussies and they were local for you. M2k is a guaranteed loss basically, and we are paying lots of money to attend an ou of state tourney with every pro in qld.

Anyway the decision doesn't bother me, I'm only shedding some light on the matter. If I get m2k round 1 I'll just have to pull a clutch return in losers lol.

Remastered

Smash Lord
It's not the same though, you are in the same league as the other Aussies and they were local for you. M2k is a guaranteed loss basically, and we are paying lots of money to attend an ou of state tourney with every pro in qld.
We all know that M2K is there, so it's not like we are spending money without knowing what we are getting ourselves into when we put so much money forward. Which is why this sounds like a last ditch attempt for high ranking players to still come away with a place and money. As mentioned before, it should be something people are looking forward too, versing the best player in the world, and the main reason why people are going to RC. The whole reason it's double elimination is for this exact circumstance.

Pretty sad if he gets put in later and all these people have made it so far are fine except the one guy who has him inserted to their bracket. If one person is going to be hard done by, why shouldn't everyone just have to play him from the beginning. Making something pretty political when it doesn't have to be imo.

In saying that, I would love to see someone from Australia beat him ;)

Sirias

Smash Champion
Man, Matt, that's really offensive. =/
I mean, really.
Such shallow thinking and opinions of any top Aussie.
It's not about bragging rights, it's about getting better.
And if you had READ the posts, none of the top Aussie players want him put through? (i think lul)
Seriously.
It's a decision based on AUSTRALIA'S votes, not just the top 3 in each state.

Edit:

More slander!
Ouch!

Again it's not about MONEY or BRAGGING, god's sake.
Do YOU play only for that reason?
I hope not.
I play because I want to get better and beat everyone else.
But I never rub it in or brag. =/
Maybe some others would, like Zac and Dekar and Ryan, but even then it would only be because they earned it.
Now you don't listen to them cause they haven't proved themselves in a national (recently, Zac).
Point is...
People play to strive to get better, in anything.
Money is a nice touch but it's not necessary, but to make it more competitive money is used, from your own pocket(s).

So, honestly.
Do you think of any top person in anything like that?

Remastered

Smash Lord
There shouldn't be a vote, which is why I'm trying to find a reason for it, and why I said it 'sounds like' not 'it is'. There will be plenty of players not good enough to place top 10 at this tourney, all paying money to be there, so do they get to have everyone who is better than them inserted once they make it a certain length in the brackets?

There is nothing offensive in my post by any means.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
voted yes but reconsidered
i think what we really want ironically is an aus only melee bracket, with no m2k
but he's coming, so let's not try to compromise and instead take advantage of this great opportunity
put him in like the rest of us

Sirias

Smash Champion
Only if you do the Gee dance, flawlessly.

Fair enough, Matt.
Like I said, though, it's up to Aus, not a select few.
Keep an open mind. c:

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
With the way voting is going, there will be no auto-byes to the finals.

Top Bottom