• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

TEECO

Smash Ace
Already learned something new today.
Well dang, thanks for tellin me.

Edit: Pivot grabbing with ROB is NOT worthless Sudai!!!!!

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
It does. The range is also rather negligible. Pivot Grab for ROB is basically worthless. Sure you can grab MK's tornado and drill-rush, but FSmash achieves the same thing and is easier. Only real use for it is running away and grabbing as they chase you or running past a shield and pivot grabbing to punish spot dodges.
F-smash also does more damage, obviously. After watching Holy's tourney matches with...can't remember but they were from a week ago...I'll be chargin ma laser randomly too. lol

Sudai - We should really talk ROB sometime.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
So, i did some fooling around with that reversed up+b while running without tapjump on.

Basically, from what I can tell, its possible to do it with tap jump on, but almost impossible to get the full "momentum boost" without it. It IS possible without it on (but with a bit of a diminished momentum boost), but you have to do one of three things.

Press the jump and up+B (angled to the position between the top and upper right/left notches) at the SAME TIME. Apparantly, its one of those things that carries the momentum of your jump into the move, so doing them both at the same time maximizes the momentum/drft/whatever you get. Considering that the standard jump button is far away from the B button (not that far, just so far that I dont think its possible to do so the game registers it at "the same time")

So, you can :

1) change a button that you don't have to use your thumb to press to a jump button. (Z/L/R). Then, you can press jump & up+B at the same time. Its not that hard to get used to, I have "L" changed to jump for chars that have tight auto-cancel windows (Ganondorf, Wolf) or multiple jumps (DDD, Jiggly, Kirby, MK). Problem is, I use "L" as my primary shield button to glide-toss with, and R to shield with as ROB & Diddy. I can't glidetoss with anything other than L. LoL.

2) Don't change any buttons and try your best to jump & up+B at the same time (results in diminished momenum/drift/whatever)

3) Change the way you hold your controller to execute the move so you can press jump & up+B at the same time.

So... ya... those are the only ways I can come up with.

On an unrelated note; did you know that you can instantly pivot grab by running and Shield+Cstick opposite direction at the same time?

Edit: On a semi-related note... would anyone like to see a ROB instructional video? Like... just a vid to show some ROB-oriented AT's and their applications/variations? If so, lemme know what you'd like to see. :)

TEECO

Smash Ace
Im deffinatley going to change my L button to jump. I had it like that a while go when I played Fox to jump and shoot the lasers but figured I wouldnt need it for anything else.

To your semi-related note, Dull, I think that would be a cool idea. I would like to see it.

SpartanX123

Smash Cadet
Ok, i have many questions..

1. How many R.O.Bs here play Wifi?

2 .FCs?

3.ATs and how to do them

4.Good mindgames?

Sudai

Stuff here
Ok, i have many questions..

1. How many R.O.Bs here play Wifi?
Not many of us play Wifi, but I'll let the people that do speak for themselves. (Read as: I don't play but don't want to be rude. :p)

2 .FCs?

3.ATs and how to do them
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=232327

There's links to all the useful threads on the ROB boards including our AT guide and the friend finder.

4.Good mindgames?
That's not really something that can be taught. I'd recommend watching videos of good ROB players (these can be found through the ROB video thread) and trying to pick up on the little things that these ROBs do. Overall though, the way you apply these little tricks and when you use them are something you're going to have to come across yourself.

Edit:

Best approach for Peach and.............................................Link? :(
Force them to approach you. You outcamp both of them.

Also, for future reference, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Shush people, I'm in a good mood. lol

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
There's a friend finder thread. For AT's, just read this thread. It's long, but take breaks.
We can't tell you mindgames, because then they aren't mindgames, they're AT's.
I'll let someone else take approaching, or I will later. I'm busy right now.

buenob

Smash Lord
rob does NOT out-camp link... Link is pretty beastly if you let him set up properly... if it wasn't for the epicly easy gimps, I'd favour link in this matchup, as any char. that can actually out-spam rob I find really hard to deal with...

against link, I would approach like I would falco... power-shield the projectiles and advance smartly... watch out for his DACUS 'cause it travels really **** far and fast (same goes for falco, only his doesn't go as far)...

peach is hard too... ****ed NikoK gets me to +60% with comboz every time... the key is to relax and DI the best you can, but if you stay out of her fsmash, fair, (bair), and usmash range (which is relatively the same thing) you can live to rediculous percentages.... to approach, quick fair's and angled usmashes cover the air really well, and ftilt is still a beast

hope this helped a bit

joebot

Smash Rookie
Hey Dull, thanks for the tip with the reverse up-b. My R button wasn't getting much use, and now I can do it from the ground pretty consistently (changed R to special). Now I just have to work it into my game...

Oh and hey everyone :) I'm joebot (aka joe if you want) - I play in the New England area. Been going to a few tournaments, doing okay I guess. Haven't gotten top 3 minus except for doubles though.

TEECO

Smash Ace
It all depends on the match up theo.
There really is no best stage for ROB, its situational and preference.

IF I were to say what stage it is, it would be Rainbow Cruise.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Nah dude. In general, it's Frigate by a fair margin. Certain matchups have better CPs though.

DiZmY??

Smash Cadet
Question: How exactly are you suppose to outcamp an olimar...those pikmin get me everytime making this a frustrating match-up

*For example look at Ally vsDdabuz playoffs* thats how it was for me =(

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Since we're playing the personal preference game, my best stage is Luigi's Mansion... But where that isn't allowed, Rainbow Cruise. I've only recently began to even use Orpheon as a CP and I really like it too. I hate JJ, that klaptrap is rarely my friend. :/ JJ is also bad if they CP G&W. *cough*

Oh yeah, I'm always good for rambling on way too much.

Sudai

Stuff here
If we're looking at banned stages too..

SkyWorld has to be ROB's best stage hands down. :x Well, maybe Hanenbow if you know how to use it right, but I think it's more of a good stage for ROB in teams than in singles.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Frigate against most of the cast who either has a tether recovery, or a recovery that leaves them vulnerable unless they hit the ledge. Rainbow cruise for those with sub-par recoveries. Can alternate depending on which the person bans. Japes for anyone who dies off the sides easy/kills off the top/totally gets wrecked by camping.

Sudai

Stuff here
FYI, RC shouldn't be CP'd versus characters with poor recovery. It should be CP'd versus characters with poor mobility. The only time recovery seriously comes into play is on the pendulum between when the left platforms have disappeared and the right platforms have not fully formed.

I'm sick of people saying "Oh, poor recovery? Take them to RC" because that's just not the case. It's all about a character's mobility on this stage... It just so happens a lot of characters with poor mobility also have bad recoveries. Let's look at a few examples.

Wario:
ROB gimps Wario pretty well if he's forced low. Taking Wario to RC is a bad idea. You get to capitalize on his poor recovery during one segment of the stage. All the other time you're just forcing yourself to move around and he obviously has better maneuverability than ROB. Don't take Wario to RC.

Ganondorf
Ganondorf gets gimped hard by anyone. Ganondorf also has poor mobility. This is a great stage to take a Ganon to.

Donkey Kong
DK has a great recovery, but he lacks mobility. RC is a good CP against him because you can keep running away and make him deal with the stage -and- your projectiles. I'm not saying RC is the best CP against DK, but it's still a good CP due to his low maneuverability.

TL;DR:
Recovery plays a small role in deciding to CP RC vs somebody while maneuverability plays a large role.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
FYI, RC shouldn't be CP'd versus characters with poor recovery. It should be CP'd versus characters with poor mobility. The only time recovery seriously comes into play is on the pendulum between when the left platforms have disappeared and the right platforms have not fully formed.

I'm sick of people saying "Oh, poor recovery? Take them to RC" because that's just not the case. It's all about a character's mobility on this stage... It just so happens a lot of characters with poor mobility also have bad recoveries. Let's look at a few examples.

Wario:
ROB gimps Wario pretty well if he's forced low. Taking Wario to RC is a bad idea. You get to capitalize on his poor recovery during one segment of the stage. All the other time you're just forcing yourself to move around and he obviously has better maneuverability than ROB. Don't take Wario to RC.

Ganondorf
Ganondorf gets gimped hard by anyone. Ganondorf also has poor mobility. This is a great stage to take a Ganon to.

Donkey Kong
DK has a great recovery, but he lacks mobility. RC is a good CP against him because you can keep running away and make him deal with the stage -and- your projectiles. I'm not saying RC is the best CP against DK, but it's still a good CP due to his low maneuverability.

TL;DR:
Recovery plays a small role in deciding to CP RC vs somebody while maneuverability plays a large role.

You make a valid point, and as you said the two often times go hand in hand. However, there are times that someone may ban Frigate, or Japes and your left with a decision between RC (in terms of "the three" that ROB users CP most often) and the remainder of the two (maybe just RC depending on who the char is). There are a few maneuverable characters that I don't see a problem taking to RC (Mario, Olimar, ICs) based solely on what you can do to their recovery.

Essentially, I'm agreeing with you, but saying that recovery is a bigger factor than you give it credit for, imo.

TEECO

Smash Ace
About Frigate...
I take Snakes to this stage, thinking its a good idea.
I lose. On this stage. A lot...

Is Frigate even a good stage to take Snake to? Or is there a better option..

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
About Frigate...
I take Snakes to this stage, thinking its a good idea.
I lose. On this stage. A lot...

Is Frigate even a good stage to take Snake to? Or is there a better option..
Since Snakes have wised up and have started recovering high IMMEDIATELY, the grabless edge really isnt a factor. Plus, it has a low-ish ceiling. I personally prefer japes. The ceiling is impossibly high, you can EASILY outcamp snake there. Its my personal preference vs them.

TEECO

Smash Ace
Yeah, a Utilt will kill at around 110 on Frigate.
Japes seems like a very good option. The only thing that bothers me on that stage is the difficulty to tell where the grenades are sometimes.

Thanks DuLL, I'm deffinatley going to start playing on Japes more.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Japes is THE best CP for Snake and DDD. Frigate is the best for anyone with a mediocre recovery. FD is the best for MK.

TEECO

Smash Ace
I agree JCaesar, well put.

I have a question guys..
You know when you're running one way, and you jump and switch directions charging your gyro?
I can't controll the wave bouncing doing this. Like, sometimes the momentum goes in the direction I was running, and sometimes it changes to the complete opposite direction.

Does it work the same way as reversing a grenade pull in the air with snake?

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Sory for the lack of updates/posting these last few days. Ive been under the weather, and am slowly pulling out of it. Should be back with some updates to various threads and the like soonish.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I usually go FD for the Kirby match. I'm a bit wary of BF and Smashville because of the smaller blastzones and Kirby's hammer, so as long as Kirby doesn't get your laser, you're well off on Final Destination.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Massive International tournament in australia weekend after next.

Surprisingly i'm having difficult with a kirby. Tips? and what to CP and ban.

Against diddy? Obviously ban FD. But what to CP Japes?

Check out the matchup synopses, as Kirby is one of the matchups in there. It should tell you about everything you need to know for the matchup.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
New To The Boards

Hey fellow ROBOTs! I'm nova1163 and i'm new to smashboards. However, i'm not new to the game of smash or my main, ROB. Judging myself, i'd say i'm an above average ROB player, buti can always use work. i've spent like all weekend reading all this info about ROB (only on page 45 of Q &A thread) and have learned a lot. But besides introducing myself, i had a few questions to ask:
1. Is there an easy way to make ROB hover in place during his up-b? i usually mash B while doing it to save gas while edgeguarding but if i could hover in place i could b-air a lotta recoveries and gimp them.
2. I play a moreso aggressive ROB but it seems that a lot of ppl camp with ROB. As a result,i dont choose Japes often as a counter (lost to a snake once there due to the klap :() Should i change up to become more campy or is going rambo style suitable?
3. How do u wave bounce with ROBs gyro without B-sticking lol?
I appreciate the insight by anyone here and i look forward to learning alot and overall becoming better with my ROBOT.:chuckle:

Top Bottom