• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Hi. I want to main Rob and I have been using him a lot recently. Are there any bad habits for Rob that I should try to prevent from happening?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
spotdodge -> dsmash (noob robs spam it, because its the easiest punish in the game. but everyone knows noob robs spam it, so watch out)
sh -> double fair (landing with fair is very punishable, robs fair cant work like marths)
always using ftilt when someone is at the edge of ftilts range -> because it reaches so far out everyone has learned how to counter it because it used to be spammed all the time, so when you're using ftilt make sure not to ALWAYS use it when someone is at the edge of its range (mix it up a little bit u know, not saying to never do it because the moves still godlike, but, you cant ALWAYS do something, you feel me?)

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Just because you're ROB doesn't mean you can't save your 2nd jump. Especially against MK. A lot of ppl will blow their jump right after getting launched. It's very important to hang onto.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou. I will try using tilts more and I usually save my jumps when I dont need to use them because I also use lucario and falco.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Also, a lot of ROBs want to fire both projectiles one after the other out of habit. Unless you see this actually paying off, the opponent usually sees this coming.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
What is the best way to Di kill moves as Rob? I tried Uair, Fair, and they both dont slow me down when im hit at all.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
His sideB is a slight momentum cancel. I always see KiraFlax use fair and then airdodge, I don't think the airdodge does anything though.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
ROB has very little momentum cancel. Your best option imo is to fair, then jump -> airdodge, or jump -> side B. His jump actually makes him lose momentum more than anything else, though its not always the best idea to be without a jump offstage.

:phone:

stingers

Smash Obsessed
thats not true about his jump zwarm. jump is a good option but only when you don't DI into the very topmost corner of the blastzone and your jump will give you height to get there. sadly jump actually acts as a momentum accelerator by a little bit, so just doing it when you're right next to the side of the blastzone can potentially kill you.

fair -> [jump] + side B or item toss -> [jump] + side b is best, but the side b barely helps at all, only helps you live 1% longer IIRC. still you never know if 1% will save you or not. I think it might help a little more when you throw a gyro or something instead of fair because you can activate side b a little quicker which can help stop your momentum a little bit more.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Is rob good at forcing air dodges and then punishing them? I did that today.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
ROB is good as being deceiving by making people think they can air dodge and spot dodge to avoid ROB's aerials. And I mean, sure they can dodge them, but if you use bair or nair which stays out for days it can usually eat through their dodges.

Bouffaloof

Smash Rookie
Hey, i know i'm bumpin' this, but i would like to know what makes the MU vs ZSS really bad? With exception of the infinites?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I feel as if I shouldn't be speaking for the ROBs about the ZSS MU. Maybe 8bit or someone who lives in a region with good ZSS can speak on the MU's behalf.
IMO tho, the MU isn't terrible. Just 40:60 at worst.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
How do I be less predictable with Rob?
I feel like the things I can do with Rob are very little compared to what I can do with metaknight, my other main.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
that's probably because meta knight is meta knight
and rob is not meta knight

condition your opponent to make them think you will always do one thing in a particular situation then start doing something else

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
that's probably because meta knight is meta knight
and rob is not meta knight

condition your opponent to make them think you will always do one thing in a particular situation then start doing something else
Thankyou but the problem is I don't know new things I can do with Rob.

Bouffaloof

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,
Quick question about d-tilt. I know it's a good move, but every time I try to use it, I get punished for it. When is the best time for it?

8Bitman

Smash Master
Don't use DTilt as an approach/stationary move. ONLY use DTilt as a punish. It sets up for Grab and at High %'s gives us stage control.

Hey, i know i'm bumpin' this, but i would like to know what makes the MU vs ZSS really bad? With exception of the infinites?
I never read this, sorry if you don't care anymore.

If the opponent knows how to do the Infinite then it is 30:70 ~ R.O.B:ZSS. However if the opponent does not know it, it is 40:60 ~ R.O.B:ZSS. As much as I would like to say otherwise it will be in ZSS's Favor. This is because our punishes involve a Gyro/ a Grab/ a FTilt/ Fair/ Jab/ or a DTilt. These are our fastest and only punishes that work.

ZSS's moves end far to fast for us to do anything else. Yet ZSS's punishes involve Uair/ DSmash/ UTilt/ FTilt(But it will prob never be used)/ and Bair. While we have more options, they simply do petty damage. While every single one of ZSS's punishes lead into Frame traps, stage control, or the infinite(If applicable).

We can gain stage control very easily, and ZSS's SideB is easily prevented with Gyro/Laser/FTilt but all of ZSS's other options and Kill potential reign's over ours.

Either way, regardless of skill ALWAYS expect them to know the infinite, getting too cocky can end in kills.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I just played a ZSS as Rob. I definitely hit the ZSS more than she hit me, but I still lost the match. Most of my hits were from ftilt and gyro.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
I find she can juggle you super easy, which sort of sucks. If you get the chance to gimp her, thats always good :p. But yeah, Its one of the matchups I dont feel comfortable with. She just feels like shes in control more, or I'm probably just not very good at the game :p.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
When I get hit far offstage vs Kirby, how can I get back to the ledge or stage safely every time? I tried a lot of different things against the last kirby I played and sometimes I made it back, and other times I got hit and died.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Probably heavily dependent on the stage, but:
If I got hit high up, I would either UpB way up and fall back onto the stage, mixing up my descent by Gyrobouncing, or turn around and threaten to Nair/Bair every time Kirby gets near me.
If I was sent low (somehow... I don't think any of Kirby's moves send at any kind of a low angle except for his Dair) I would probably Uair on my way up or just get to the ledge ASAP.
I think our Fair might even outrange Kirby's Bair, but I haven't played the matchup seriously before (the only Kirby player in my state is more a ROB player ;P) so I don't have much experience in it.

Sudai

Stuff here
I wold recommend recovering from the side instead of high or low. You can turn around so you have BAir to push him away but FAir works well too. You won't have to worry about UAir since ROB is weak when being attacked from below and you avoid the low recovery problems.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
B-reversals really help the whole "being above someone" scenario. Only person I rly struggle against now is Marth

:phone:

Top Bottom