• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Hahaha yes, i play metaknight and beat a lot of the top players in the best smash region yet i will go to a far inferior region and lose to a pikachu/gaw who have no good players to play against.

yes thats likely

LOL

JJR.O.B.

Smash Ace
my favorite was airdodging over the spinning blade and wavebounce-reverse-gyro cancel to grab the ledge ^_^

that and running off with gyro in hand right as he starts upB, I jump, throw the gyro at the stage, and start my dair...gyro bounces off stage, hits Ike into my dair =D

easier/less-flashy gimps make me kinda sad :( [except in tourney, of course]
I do teh same thing except with bair instead of dair
Glide-toss down into usmash is unbelievably gratifying. wish it happened more than once :(
I have glidetossed into bthrow to charged laser before. I wish it happened more than once too

Overswarm

is laughing at you
glide toss trixxy I don't know if I told you:

glide toss down to dash attack towards gyro = hit with dash attack and pick up gyro.

Kinda like dribbling with Diddy, but less effective and you only hit with the dash attack or a laser

Wesley`

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty new to brawl (did play loads of Melee) and haven't played that many online matches yet so i have no clue how good/bad I'd do against others.. But what would be the first few things I'd need to learn to start becoming a decent R.O.B. player? And should I try to be very aggresive or just try and camp?

Oh and Another small request, if there's a R.O.B. player out there that would want to play some online matches with me and give me a little feedback on what I need to work on I'd really appreciate it :)

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
Those two will be the biggest improvements we can give you.

Develop your own style according to what you're comfortable with. I'd say that in general ROB plays moderately campy, but you can take it to the extreme or play without much camping at all. It depends mostly on the person you're playing and on what you're good at doing.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I really hope tourneys start making Port Town Aero Dive legal, since it's counterpick/banned on the SBR. I mean, the cars kinda ruin its competitive viability, but Brawl desperately needs a Mute City (plus I think it may be a decent MK counterpick o.O)

TeeVee

Smash Lord
Speaking of mk cps, which stage do you usually use against mks? (and what do you ban too?)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Mute City's big thing was that it had no ledges. The pass-through main platform is fine and all, but it's no substitute for ledgelessness. I think that could be a big unforseen MK weakness (not unlike Melee Sheik, who had the same weakness).

Anyway, I tend to try something different every time I counterpick MK, because I haven't found anything that works yet. Neutrals seem to be the best, especially FD, but most of the MKs around here are smart enough to ban FD.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
FD is the best (and probably only) mk counterpick

Ledges are good for mk, but not having ledges doesn't hurt much since there is teh tornado

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
A few reasons, one MK likes to be close to people and in their face so a big stage can be a pain. Two, MK is a beast on platforms (uairs/tornadoes from below, up+b's) and lastly if MK tornadoes and goes up high and the character smash DI's out of the top of it, MK has no platforms to fall down through to save him from being punished

noodles

Smash Champion
if a mk is below you getting ready to upb (so he'll hit you with the top part of the loop) a fair/bair (depending where hes coming from) can stop it easily

Overswarm

is laughing at you
FD isn't so much a counterpick as it is an inconvenience.

Yoshi's Island (Pipes) CAN be good... but Vidjo practiced it and baited me onto the sides where he up+b'd me and off the side where he gimped me... and that's a hard stage to come back on. :(

Sudai

Stuff here
In order of usefulness: Laser, Slightly charged gyro (only if charged before tornado starts), BAir, NAir, FSmash. Generally if I can't get a laser or gyro in time and I'm on the ground, I walk away as much as I can then shield. Only bother with the aerials if you're already in the air and in the right spot.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
In my experience, b-air seems to be the least effective of the list. I usually use f-smash as it's the quickest to get out.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
as for strategies on shielding it...I never thought about this but then I saw a ROB [DragonCharlz] do this to my teams partner multiple times in tourney: Shield [dunno if he powershielded or not] and if you know the length of Meta's tornado well enough, time a spot dodge so that it ends at the same time the tornado does. that way you won't get shieldstabbed/***** by it and you have a pretty good chance to dsmashing or at least shielding Meta's dsmash =D

I'll try this tomorrow if I face an MK in tourney...

Sudai

Stuff here
as for strategies on shielding it...I never thought about this but then I saw a ROB [DragonCharlz] do this to my teams partner multiple times in tourney: Shield [dunno if he powershielded or not] and if you know the length of Meta's tornado well enough, time a spot dodge so that it ends at the same time the tornado does. that way you won't get shieldstabbed/***** by it and you have a pretty good chance to dsmashing or at least shielding Meta's dsmash =D

I'll try this tomorrow if I face an MK in tourney...
Combo protection time: Walk away (take up tornado time), Angled Shield (prevent shield stabbing), spotdodge (epic dodge, go!), counter ****?

Sounds sexy..in a subtle way : x

Sudai

Stuff here
I say take tripping out, personally. I view it like items: Randomizations ftl. If not all Wiis at the tourney have it off, though, then I don't think any should.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
yeah thats what i thought, but people are trying to mess around with hit stun, that crud might make MK god

oh well, i'll just wait and see how all his unfolds before i go and untrip brawl

Sudai

Stuff here
I wanted to touch on the hitstun thing, but that's a lot more complex than tripping. Tripping is a purely random occurrence that serves no purpose other than being a nuisance. It has all the randomness of explosive spawning as you smash without any of the skill that could potentially be derived from items. I'm strongly against modifying hitstun or anything else that isn't random, though. If it can be viewed as and reasonably justified as something that does nothing other than detract from competitiveness, take it out, by all means. Hitstun mods don't fit that criterion and therefore shouldn't be bothered with in my eyes. That combined with the amount of time needed to test and properly employ modified hitstun...well...people would be used to brawl with its current hitstun by then.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
xD i destroyed my friend lol. I was ultra defensive. I wish i had videos @_@ I got him so upset xD. At early percent i got him with a couple bair to down tilt combos :3 It was truely epic. ROB is better then i thought, but i still like pit more. =P

Sudai

Stuff here
All or none is always my favorite card when I'm half awake and I can use it for some reason. Looking at my post, although I got my point across, I did it in a ******** fashion. XD

Half awake point making ftw.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
I think the no-tripping code should be used, but there's no way it'll be standard any time soon. There are too many people who are, for whatever reason, completely against it. I think that's silly, but so be it.

Pretty much like Sudai said, taking out tripping makes Brawl less random, which is good for competition. Changing around other factors, though, is basically redesigning the game. If someone wants to do that, more power to them, but it'll never be adopted by any kind of semi-significant tourney. This much more so than tripping.

Top Bottom