• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

DonTe

Smash Cadet
Bruce Lee writes?

If they won't let you have a ROB Back Room here, we could use a free private forum somewhere else.

I'm really looking forward to this reinvention of ROB. I definitely feel like he can be on the predictable side sometimes, especially with his approaches and telegraphed aerials.

Edit: Here's an example of an aspect of ROB's game that I think should be looked at more in depth. When most ROBs, including myself, pick up our gyro, we tend to immediately glidetoss or throw it. I think it might be worth experimenting with holding on to the gyro for periods of time and waiting for an opening for a good glidetoss->f/usmash combo. ROB has lots of options left when holding an item, from laser spam to up-Bed aerials to mid-air drops, recatching it with an aerial or jab. If you can damage their shield enough so you know a glidetossed gyro will hit them out, then you can get off guaranteed combos. I think the best way to practice this and discover new strats is to play ROB dittos, because you already have a large incentive to hold on to an enemy gyro. It'll force you to fight with one in your hand until you find an appropriate place to fit in a glidetoss, instead of just spamming glidetoss at the first possible opportunity.

I think Caesar brings up a good point about better Gyro manipulation.

There are a few things you could do with Gyro Dropping. You can approach with gyro in hand and Z-Nair them unexpectedly. Z-Fair doesnt usually work, because you have to wait a bit in order to catch your gyro, and they will punish you.
It is also possible to double jump and approach them from above with the gyro in hand. Drop the gyro and watch how your opponent reacts. The direction they approach from is the direction you throw your aerial (..of course, if they approach from below, Nair not Dair). The most dangerous position for them to approach you is 5 o clock.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
Speaking of up tilt, something wierd happened to me a couple days ago. When I up tilt, I usually continue doing so until it sweet spots, then I follow with an u-air. Going against a Fox, I tilt locked him across lylat then f smashed him. I would have saved it but it was too long. This isn't the first time it's happened though; a couple weeks after the game came out I did the same thing against a level 9 computer fox, all the way across FD, and I have it saved.

I really don't know if this is common knowledge or something we should look into, but fox is the only one I have seen it done on.

Sudai

Stuff here
Teevee, I found this about two or three months ago. Upon further testing, it's useless. So long as they DI away, they keep getting hit, but the second the DI towards you, they get hit up into the real UTilt and go flying away. I think if they don't DI, the same thing happens too but I didn't test for no DI.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Also, just a teaser:

I have consistently 3 stocked and 2 stocked with low % my little brother for two days straight now. His Metaknight, Fox, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer... whoever he picks up. There are only a few changes based on matchup; the general philosophy is the same.

While I have beaten my brother consistently in the past.... he's never had this rough of a time.

This playstyle is very, very logic based. Not instinct or "fun" based. It's literally like I have to switch on and off different aspects of my game. ^_^
This sounds incredibly interesting. A playstyle that has no base in instinct? Overswarm, I believe ROB has overwhelmed your organic compounds.

null55

Smash Master
I was the first ROB to do anything worthwhile and have videos of it on the internet for other aspiring ROBs. The only ROB who has actually shown a "playstyle" that differs from mine is MaxxxPower; everyone else has shown tricks being implemented, but ultimately mimic the same playstyle I found to come naturally to ROB.
You forgot about HugS... Who is my R.O.B. idol.

PS: On this private Robot chatroom discussion, who would be invited?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The oldie ROBs that have added much to ROB's metagame that I believe would contribute in a solid fashion, be able to keep secrets, and would be willing and able to use new strategies against competent opponents.

null55

Smash Master
The oldie ROBs that have added much to ROB's metagame that I believe would contribute in a solid fashion, be able to keep secrets, and would be willing and able to use new strategies against competent opponents.
Well, that certainly seems logical, but the "keep secrets" part sounds a little... precarious...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It is often that I go to tournaments and people I play know exactly what I've learned; sometimes I'd like to polish something before releasing it to my opponent's eyes.

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
Bruce Lee writes?

If they won't let you have a ROB Back Room here, we could use a free private forum somewhere else.

I'm really looking forward to this reinvention of ROB. I definitely feel like he can be on the predictable side sometimes, especially with his approaches and telegraphed aerials.

Edit: Here's an example of an aspect of ROB's game that I think should be looked at more in depth. When most ROBs, including myself, pick up our gyro, we tend to immediately glidetoss or throw it. I think it might be worth experimenting with holding on to the gyro for periods of time and waiting for an opening for a good glidetoss->f/usmash combo. ROB has lots of options left when holding an item, from laser spam to up-Bed aerials to mid-air drops, recatching it with an aerial or jab. If you can damage their shield enough so you know a glidetossed gyro will hit them out, then you can get off guaranteed combos. I think the best way to practice this and discover new strats is to play ROB dittos, because you already have a large incentive to hold on to an enemy gyro. It'll force you to fight with one in your hand until you find an appropriate place to fit in a glidetoss, instead of just spamming glidetoss at the first possible opportunity.
Guilty of throwing or glidetossing the gyro right away.

From diddy baords
Forward Smash While Holding Banana

To do this, I recommend remapping "attack" to do the L trigger.
Pick up a banana using the L trigger. Continue to hold it. Press the C-Stick forward and you will start charging an Fsmash.
To release it, let go of L.

Maybe start doing something like this? Maybe try to eat at their shield with laser and smash attacks then go for the glide toss or just throw. Also if you do the above would that let you do your air attacks?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It doesn't let you use your air attacks, no.... but you CAN use aerials while holding a gyro. I'm not sure how, it has only happened when I just leave hitstun (which may be it).

I AM BESTOWING KNOWLEDGE!

If you grab Wario when he's off a platform or off the edge and his feet aren't touching the ground, when he escapes he will go straight up. Grab him again. Hit him once, then wait. He will go in the air. Grab again. Repeat for an infinite. You can also get an u-smash or f-smash out of this if you so desire. Long and boring, but effective.

You CAN'T hit him right before he releases though, so keep that in mind.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
We can't grab release him from anywhere though. His feet can't be touching the ground. :(

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
i dont play rob but how do u beat him.
You should probably ask the Ike (bowser?) boards about the match up instead. However there is an old thread with hilarious comments on bad matchups. Doesn't seem reliable.

So, from my admittedly limited experience, the characters that ROB has a tough time with are:
--Snake (Cypher makes for very good recovery, and he can make getting in on him a pain without using projectiles you can Gyrospin back at him.)
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152796&highlight=team

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Wow Overswarm I feel like an idiot. The new Social Group function of Smashboards provides all the tools you need to make a private, invite-only ROB Back Room.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Wow, that was an easy solution. Jcaesar, how do you be so smart?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It isn't made yet. I probably will soon.

Chozen, even though you haven't been going to tournaments I'd still give you the invite because you were one of the original sexy ROB mains. ;)

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Amount of time you have mained ROB is not the only factor. You also need to be all of the above.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Amount of time you have mained ROB is not the only factor. You also need to be all of the above.
The thing about those rules... is that I made them. ;)

Regardless, I'm choosing only those I believe will be beneficial.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
OS probably already has in mind who he's gonna invite, based on things like what they've contributed to the ROB community and how active and helpful and mature they are on the ROB boards (or just how good they are, in Nacker's case), so don't get your hopes up.

Edit: aw OS beat me to it.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
still auto-losing to mediocre metaknights with my rob. this is frustrating because i'm doing much better against them with my own medicore mk.

sigh.

Sudai

Stuff here
I've done that once or twice while playing as Squirtle. Always on accident too, hitting a on accident while trying to shield through the attack. It was a "WTF?" moment for us all.

As to all you people worrying about who's gonna make it into the ROB back room, stop worrying about it. Worrying won't do anything for your chances to get in there and at worst, it'll lower your chances. More likely than not, the list of people is mostly finished already anyway.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Plus, the list is small on purpose :p

The ROB forums are <3

But there are a few machines more oiled than the rest

WarranThad

Smash Ace
i know i should dig through pages and pages of thread to find this info out, but what youtube matches are up that you have against good mk's where you win? many of these guys seem really mediocre and the vids aren't being too helpful =/.

noodles

Smash Champion
i think the only overswarm vid i saw vs a mk was kel right? havent seen to many.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
No way that I'd be invited, seeing as how I haven't even been to a real tournament yet.... however, the ROB BRoom idea sounds promising. Anything that develops the ROB community deserves a cookie.

*cookie*

chckn

Smash Ace
serious **** right here, getting off the ledge against a good snake is almost impossible with ROB. I was playing Afro Thundah on Yoshis I think and it was literally impossible. I got him last stock, but I just took so much ****ing percent trying to get up off the ledge. I roll up and get grabbed. fair and get powershielded to ftilt. Come up high and get hit with nair. I know the whole throw a gyro to the other end and recover there theory, but on stages like yoshis and the ps's thats impossible. On top of that if youre low on fuel its extremely difficult to do. I need answers from someone with experience against GOOD snakes. OS, toasty, knacker, Jceas, sudai, anyone lol. Im desperate :[

Top Bottom