• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
when coming up from a ledge, and the opponent isn't far away, your besty approach is a ledgehop into two fairs. (I always get people on the second one) A ledgehop is pressing down and then jumping to make kind of a erally small jump. Here you should be just over the edge and you can do any attack you want. However, you get no invincibility frames. And if they're holding A like the falco was, Iether press A wich should give you invincibility frames and often hits. And if they're close enough they'll go a good distance behind you. If you roll, it will take them a while to stop even after they've removed their thumb from A. you can follow up with an F smash.

Also never approach from the air with a dair. your reaving yourself open. the best time to use it when not spiking is faking a fast fall when your high up. the people who jump after can sometimes get hit with it, but never try to hit with it here, because that's when it will mess up.

And what he means by follow up is, when you get hit, approach sooner. Usualy a dash attack or D-tilt works just fine.

_Mar_

Smash Cadet
Some of the dair's were on accident. I had a really hard time approaching falco because he has that stupid laser that basically stuns you. I will work on some of the things you said though and I have been watching tons of vids in the video thread.

I have one question though, what are good ways to set up a grab with ROB?

noodles

Smash Champion
DTilt > Grab
Jab > Grab (This works well if they're already slightly in the air)
Ledge Hop > FAir > BAir > Grab (Only works at really low percents. I'm not quite sure on the percents, but I know anywhere below 20% this works. After 20% I always go for a tilt/smash.)
Anything that leads to DTilt > DTilt > Grab

As for throws:

UThrow until 30%.
DThrow has less knockback after that, though and it's better to save the UThrow to KO anyway.
i guess these are some

Sudai

Stuff here
when coming up from a ledge, and the opponent isn't far away, your besty approach is a ledgehop into two fairs. (I always get people on the second one)
Unless their right on the ledge, this is a horrible idea. If the first FAir doesn't connect, they can punish you very easily between the FAir hits. If they're right up on you though, this and FAir to BAir are great options. I prefer the FAir to BAir because at lower percents it has more follow-up options and at higher percents it has more of a "Get the hell off my ***" factor (aka knockback.)

And if they're holding A like the falco was, Iether press A wich should give you invincibility frames and often hits. And if they're close enough they'll go a good distance behind you. If you roll, it will take them a while to stop even after they've removed their thumb from A. you can follow up with an F smash.
Rolling up would be the wrong option here. If the Falco is fast enough, he CAN stop the rapid jabs and punish you with any smash or tilt. Tell your Falco friend not to do that though, as it's a pretty bad idea. You can beat it with ledgehop FAir > BAir or ledgehop FAir > FAir, you just have to space it so you hit with the disjointed-ness of your FAir. If you feel like helping your friend, tell him he shouldn't rapid jab and instead should wait just outside of your ledgehop FAir range and react to what you do.

Also never approach from the air with a dair. your reaving yourself open. the best time to use it when not spiking is faking a fast fall when your high up. the people who jump after can sometimes get hit with it, but never try to hit with it here, because that's when it will mess up.
DAir is a horrible idea 90% of the time. This man is correct. Actually, even using it as a fakeout is a really bad idea unless you're pretty high up already.

And what he means by follow up is, when you get hit, approach sooner. Usualy a dash attack or D-tilt works just fine.
These are follow-ups for low percents. Your follow up is obviously going to be different for every situation, but even if it's just shooting a laser or a gyro, you want to be doing -something- to keep pressure on them.

Also at low percentages Up throw into Fair can be a perfect combo.

Then usuly followed up by another fai and uair.
The can DI + Airdodge after the first FAir. best option would be U/DThrow > Multiple UAirs. Yes they can get out after the first UAir just like they can get out of the first FAir, but would you rather 7% or 20% with an easier follow-up? :p

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
Unless their right on the ledge, this is a horrible idea. If the first FAir doesn't connect, they can punish you very easily between the FAir hits. If they're right up on you though, this and FAir to BAir are great options. I prefer the FAir to BAir because at lower percents it has more follow-up options and at higher percents it has more of a "Get the hell off my ***" factor (aka knockback.)

If they are far away first fair misses (usualy intentionaly) and second one hits while they come towards me. a bair also works, but (I think) you have more hurt boxes open for that. (on the head end anyways.)

Rolling up would be the wrong option here. If the Falco is fast enough, he CAN stop the rapid jabs and punish you with any smash or tilt. Tell your Falco friend not to do that though, as it's a pretty bad idea. You can beat it with ledgehop FAir > BAir or ledgehop FAir > FAir, you just have to space it so you hit with the disjointed-ness of your FAir. If you feel like helping your friend, tell him he shouldn't rapid jab and instead should wait just outside of your ledgehop FAir range and react to what you do.

DAir is a horrible idea 90% of the time. This man is correct. Actually, even using it as a fakeout is a really bad idea unless you're pretty high up already.

The can DI + Airdodge after the first FAir. best option would be U/DThrow > Multiple UAirs. Yes they can get out after the first UAir just like they can get out of the first FAir, but would you rather 7% or 20% with an easier follow-up? :p
Well you don't get any invincibilty frames for a ledge hop. You ahve to DI backward a little bit, And that's all that I haven't done, so i guess that makes sence,a nd I don't ahve anyone to practice with so It's a trial and error thing in real matches. Also havn't played that many falcos but usualy what I did there works.

And if the first Fair after the throw works or doesn't work, the second will accordingly to however the first one did. It works on people who are anctious(spelling) and want to follow up with a dair, and at these low percentages, most people (I play) don't DI out of it. Easy to chase someone from it though.
Really most of his arials flow out of grabs and into other arials. if youg et a fea good hit s in your golden.

And when I say low I mean 0 % :p OK not a perfect comboe, but if it isn't DI'd it is.

Like I said in another topic, I'm not new to the scene, jsut the site. (mostly on Brawl Central and a real little AiB) So I'm working my way up, but form who i've played so far, I beat 95 - 90 percent of the people I brawl.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
*sniff*

At first you were just nuts and bolts but now you are all grown up and answerin' questions on yer own.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
hahaha..and again.

OS: was there a matchup that, in the early days of these ROB forums/archives, seemed difficult or easy but now it's the opposite or at least considerably different? Anything noteworthy? Example: MK is getting easier for me and more ROBs are picking up what to do [not like it's a cakewalk, but it's not impossible like most of us originally thought]

Sudai

Stuff here
OS, I wouldn't be the ROB I am if it weren't for the forums, so I try to contribute as much as I can. I'll probably never be a great ROB because I suck at execution, but I'll be ****ed if I don't know the most Robotic theory or at least as much as possible.

Plus, I figured you were tired of answering questions after 1400 post and us other ROBs should slowly start to take over. ; P

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Nothing has really "killed" this thread. It's less useful now that most of the questions have been answered for the good players and there are a bunch of noobs in here now asking the same ones or just acting silly.

There will be a time when this thread becomes useful again... I'll let you know soon.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The only people that don't take me seriously are those that haven't played me; that's reason enough for me not to care. :)

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
There seems to be a bit of conflicting data surronding stale moves, so I was wondering if you knew anything definitive about them. Does hitting the stage count as a hit (pillars, balloon, shy guys)? Does fairing pit's arrows or any other projectile count as a hit? Does hitting a waddle-doo or turnip count as a hit? Does hitting a shield (whether it be a normal shield or say pit's down b) count as a hit? Is it always 9 seperate hits to fully regenerate a stale move (assuming you don't use the stale move in those 9 hits)?

After throwing a gyro, if someone runs into it, does that count as a hit? if someone reflects laser/gyro, does it count as a hit?

If you could provide any sort of insight on diminishing returns, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I know hitting stage elements counts as a hit. Hitting a regular shield doesn't count as a hit, not sure about special move shields. :[

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
There seems to be a bit of conflicting data surronding stale moves, so I was wondering if you knew anything definitive about them. Does hitting the stage count as a hit (pillars, balloon, shy guys)? Does fairing pit's arrows or any other projectile count as a hit? Does hitting a waddle-doo or turnip count as a hit? Does hitting a shield (whether it be a normal shield or say pit's down b) count as a hit? Is it always 9 seperate hits to fully regenerate a stale move (assuming you don't use the stale move in those 9 hits)?

After throwing a gyro, if someone runs into it, does that count as a hit? if someone reflects laser/gyro, does it count as a hit?

If you could provide any sort of insight on diminishing returns, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Stage elements = yes
Projectiles = no i think
9 hits = yes unless you respawn then all moves are fresh

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
HO SNAP UNDEAD CHOZEN

Where the hell where you?