• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

KaShank

Smash Apprentice
OverSwarm I have strong doubts that you don't already know this, but since essentially I stole your ROB (Bout 60% way there to becoming a MicroSwarm) anyway I thought I might be able to help your ROB possibly. A sick combo that I feel you should start implementing is the GyroDash (whatever it's called) into a forward smash. Basically, if your gyro is fully uncharged as many times it is in your gameplay you can do a perfect gyrodash and hit them with a follow up forward smash. This works till about 120 damage or enough till they can DI out of it or something. I don't actually know. I've only gotten it off in gameplay twice and killed with it both times :D. This can get some use out of your forward smash which many times feals useless in battles because the forward tilt has like twice the range.

BTW: The first day I took your ROB strategy I beat someone in the top 120 in gamebattles and now is currently ranked 50 something in teams. Would be higher but you know gamebattles.

KaShank

Smash Apprentice
BTW, how do you get rid of a double post because that is what I accidentally did.
Oh and anyone that wants to try it: Make sure you get the full slide out of the gyrodash and c-stick the f-smash.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OverSwarm I have strong doubts that you don't already know this, but since essentially I stole your ROB (Bout 60% way there to becoming a MicroSwarm) anyway I thought I might be able to help your ROB possibly. A sick combo that I feel you should start implementing is the GyroDash (whatever it's called) into a forward smash. Basically, if your gyro is fully uncharged as many times it is in your gameplay you can do a perfect gyrodash and hit them with a follow up forward smash. This works till about 120 damage or enough till they can DI out of it or something. I don't actually know. I've only gotten it off in gameplay twice and killed with it both times :D. This can get some use out of your forward smash which many times feals useless in battles because the forward tilt has like twice the range.

BTW: The first day I took your ROB strategy I beat someone in the top 120 in gamebattles and now is currently ranked 50 something in teams. Would be higher but you know gamebattles.
I'm unsure what my "ROB strategy" is, but I don't think you'd get it without watching my videos. I glide toss to f-smash all the time ;)

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
I'm most certainly posting some DDD Vs. ROB rapage relatively soon.. also, none of my ROB dittos will every be posted up.. b/c they're all more than 3 min >_<

Mr. Swarm for Prez *pound*

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Well TICO, I'm not OS, but getting him off the ledge in general seems easy for R.O.B. After that, it's a few f-airs combined with a ledge-hogging.

I dunno, I don't have anything specific against Olimar since he's the only short dude I haven't had trouble with when using R.O.B.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
i would love for you to tell me, what do i have to do to beat a well played olimar.
i cant seem to win against one
f-tilt if he spams over B. you kill his pikmin and then get close.

Save your laser, spam gyro all day.

When your laser is full, get olimar off the edge then wait for him to jump, then laser him. Then grab the edge. Let him hit you with his up+b if he wants, he still won't grab it.

That's about it. WoPing with bairs works wonders too.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Has anyone mentioned the PivotGyroThrow yet?

I'm assuming most of you are aware that during the first few frames of your gyro charge you can pivot, and change your facing... this will get you infinitely more gyro hits during matches..

INFINITELY.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion

I'm assuming most of you are aware that during the first few frames of your gyro charge you can pivot, and change your facing... this will get you infinitely more gyro hits during matches..

INFINITELY.
Yeah, I think I've been intrinsiclly been using that a lot as I jump off the ledge, hehe.

Overswarm

is laughing at you

INFINITELY.
You mean just directing your down+b move? Why call it "pivotgyrothrow" and be all fancy? :p

You're just directing a down+b move XD

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Dude, I just read your thread (from the beginning) and I must say that I like the cut of your jib. My favorite part was your excerpt on Brick Walls; that **** was dope.

I seem to have a problem facing Peaches and Warios. Pikachu gives me trouble too.

Would you elaborate on some useful tactics to use on these matchups? Thanks.

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
Does any1 know how long it takes to get ROB's fully charged laser?

I just started playing ROB last night, and in 1 night he became my Secondary main.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Does any1 know how long it takes to get ROB's fully charged laser?

I just started playing ROB last night, and in 1 night he became my Secondary main.
Read thread!

Also, 20 seconds.

Maxx, I'll get back to you :)

I suggest watching my matches vs. Toga to see what I do against Wario though.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Dude, I just read your thread (from the beginning) and I must say that I like the cut of your jib. My favorite part was your excerpt on Brick Walls; that **** was dope.

I seem to have a problem facing Peaches and Warios. Pikachu gives me trouble too.

Would you elaborate on some useful tactics to use on these matchups? Thanks.
For Wario... it is all about being patient and edgeguarding properly. Wario HAS to get inside, so you can projectile all day and then try to face him when he rushes you. Your best bet is to get a grab off and use an f-throw or b-throw and then get him off teh edge. His recovery is SUPER predictable, so abuse it. You can get some nasty edgeguards off on Wario at really low %.

For peach... I've got nothin. I don't play many Peach players around here.

Pikachu is a beast. He can theoretically out-spam you (best spam matches ever are ROB vs. Pika!), and he has a theoretical 60% KO combo.

Theoretical.

Learn to out spam him by learning when you just need to shield his shocks and when you need to laser. You can ALWAYS powershield into laser for massive effects, and you can double jump laser and then stall with up+b if you want to get fancy.

Pika's Thunder out of d-smash / u-throw is the big thing.

Avoid thunder by watching Pika when you are in the air. He will ALWAYS throw out that thunder, so wait for him to start the animation, then air dodge. Throwing out bairs can also make it difficult for him to aim, but if you find yourself getting thundered out of a bair, your timing sucks and you should just focus on the air dodge.

D-smash and u-throw become nothing more than damage moves if ROB holds left or right whenever he goes "on the inside" or gets trapped by one of the moves. You have TONS of time to DI, so do it.

If you want to make d-smash even more useless, you can just DI up to get out of it! Depending on when you are sucked in you may need to smash DI, but that shouldn't be a problem either.

The worst part about pikachu is how he has multiple chances to KO you while you have to build up his damage and get off a good nair to kill him. This makes the matchup dangerous, but do not be fooled! It is in ROB's favor, because ROB has an immediate and active counter to everything Pikachu can pull out. Pika does not have this option, and therefore a smart ROB will always beat a Pika unless that Pika plays exceptionally well.

how do i beat rob with luigi? please help ty (if u resond of course)
You can't. ROB can just stall the edge as long as he wants and projectile you forever, and Luigi going off the edge is suicide.

Don't ask me how to beat my character, I don't want to SABOTAGE myself. I just want good ROB's so maybe someone can teach me something someday. Plus, I like the idea of a lot of mini-overswarm style ROBs counterpicking Jungle Japes and Luigi's Mansion and camping all day. Makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
You neglected to mention that ROB's gyro should always be on the ground between yourself, and Pika... it will [generally] soak up his Sparks, and force him to QAC toward you inorder to approach.. also Nair is extremely good at causing some massive damage during Pika's recovery.. just be careful... his SkullBash is made out of fricking Teflon so unless your hitting him w/ a Bair/EXTREMELY well timed Nair your probably going to be knocked back, and also be unable to continue to edgeguard him.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
For Wario... it is all about being patient and edgeguarding properly. Wario HAS to get inside, so you can projectile all day and then try to face him when he rushes you. Your best bet is to get a grab off and use an f-throw or b-throw and then get him off teh edge. His recovery is SUPER predictable, so abuse it. You can get some nasty edgeguards off on Wario at really low %.

For peach... I've got nothin. I don't play many Peach players around here.

Pikachu is a beast. He can theoretically out-spam you (best spam matches ever are ROB vs. Pika!), and he has a theoretical 60% KO combo.

Theoretical.

Learn to out spam him by learning when you just need to shield his shocks and when you need to laser. You can ALWAYS powershield into laser for massive effects, and you can double jump laser and then stall with up+b if you want to get fancy.

Pika's Thunder out of d-smash / u-throw is the big thing.

Avoid thunder by watching Pika when you are in the air. He will ALWAYS throw out that thunder, so wait for him to start the animation, then air dodge. Throwing out bairs can also make it difficult for him to aim, but if you find yourself getting thundered out of a bair, your timing sucks and you should just focus on the air dodge.

D-smash and u-throw become nothing more than damage moves if ROB holds left or right whenever he goes "on the inside" or gets trapped by one of the moves. You have TONS of time to DI, so do it.

If you want to make d-smash even more useless, you can just DI up to get out of it! Depending on when you are sucked in you may need to smash DI, but that shouldn't be a problem either.

The worst part about pikachu is how he has multiple chances to KO you while you have to build up his damage and get off a good nair to kill him. This makes the matchup dangerous, but do not be fooled! It is in ROB's favor, because ROB has an immediate and active counter to everything Pikachu can pull out. Pika does not have this option, and therefore a smart ROB will always beat a Pika unless that Pika plays exceptionally well.

You can't. ROB can just stall the edge as long as he wants and projectile you forever, and Luigi going off the edge is suicide.

Don't ask me how to beat my character, I don't want to SABOTAGE myself. I just want good ROB's so maybe someone can teach me something someday. Plus, I like the idea of a lot of mini-overswarm style ROBs counterpicking Jungle Japes and Luigi's Mansion and camping all day. Makes me warm and fuzzy inside.
You neglected to mention that ROB's gyro should always be on the ground between yourself, and Pika... it will [generally] soak up his Sparks, and force him to QAC toward you inorder to approach.. also Nair is extremely good at causing some massive damage during Pika's recovery.. just be careful... his SkullBash is made out of fricking Teflon so unless your hitting him w/ a Bair/EXTREMELY well timed Nair your probably going to be knocked back, and also be unable to continue to edgeguard him.

Good stuff, guys. Thanks for the advice. I'll try out what you said.

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
you know, when the pika does a thunder, just move slightly away from it and then do a side B, it reflects it and hits the pika, then he'll be more cautious of spamming that move, but do it as a surprise when pika is at a higher percent so that you get the kill for the unsuspecting rat.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Don't go off the edge after pika unless you've got good timing. Generally just safer to stay on the stage and shoot stuff.

bobjamesbob

Smash Rookie
Meh, please help me
My friend plays Olimar, and he just stand in the middle of FD spamming pikmin
if can't lazer because it's just enough distance for pikmin to reach me
i can't keep dodging (shield + down/direction) cause eventually they get on me, and they do damage like crazy, which then i have to do nair to get off, which is terrible cause sometimes they take two hits, and that is my favorite killing move
Then if i jump over him, he does an up smash , and if i airdodge that, he counters with a fmash

Gahh... can you please help me with this campy olimar?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Meh, please help me
My friend plays Olimar, and he just stand in the middle of FD spamming pikmin
if can't lazer because it's just enough distance for pikmin to reach me
i can't keep dodging (shield + down/direction) cause eventually they get on me, and they do damage like crazy, which then i have to do nair to get off, which is terrible cause sometimes they take two hits, and that is my favorite killing move
Then if i jump over him, he does an up smash , and if i airdodge that, he counters with a fmash

Gahh... can you please help me with this campy olimar?
Walk towards him and just f-tilt repeatedly. It kills his pikmin when they come out.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Got any tips for ICs? I played a very good one on wifi last night, and while I didn't get trashed by him, I didn't really know how to fight him either. His blizzard seems harder to deal with in brawl (hard to shield, freezes you very often), and his bairs are hard to get through. That's not even to mention the ridiculous grab combos, though I think I can avoid the grabs if I just dsmash more.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I haven't played a good ICs, so no. :(

As for Lucario... I've played Azen's a few times and it is pretty beastly.

Lucario, at low %, will combo you to kingdom come. At higher %, he can KO you easily.

In this matchup, you HAVE to go for gimps when you can, or Lucario wins. If you projectile spam him above 120%, he can forward-air to n-air combo you for a KO, or just throw out dairs to kill you. That's dangerous. It's much safer to play the edge game (edge, not ledge; Lucario doesn't let you ledge camp due to his dair) and just keep trying to get Lucario off the stage. Once you know the distance of his up+b, it isn't too hard to understand how to gimp him, and that's basically going to be your game.

Lucario is best killed that way. On the stage, I would suggest hitting him with a fully charged gyro to get him off the stage, or a fully charged laser, and then going from there. It is not a good idea to let Lucario approach you, nor for you to approach Lucario. That doesn't mean ROB doesn't have options! He can still do the same things he does against most other characters. It is just more dangerous, so there are better strategies.

As for teammates...

I enjoy having Snake as a teammate. He can help spam, knock people away easily with his f-tilt, and he has the wonderful ability to KO vertically easily with his u-tilt. Most people can't do that, so he helps ROB's weaknesses out a lot.

orintemple

Smash Lord
This is sweet. Your such a nice guy telling people how to beat you OS :laugh:

There is a lot of stuff about spacies vs ROB here that helped me out. Maybe someday I can beat you ;)

Oh, btw, do you know a guy named Ian Beckman? Cause he thinks there is a chance that he knows you IRL cause he knows a lot of people from NKU. I told him its probably a shot in the dark but I figured I'd ask.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This is sweet. Your such a nice guy telling people how to beat you OS :laugh:

There is a lot of stuff about spacies vs ROB here that helped me out. Maybe someday I can beat you ;)

Oh, btw, do you know a guy named Ian Beckman? Cause he thinks there is a chance that he knows you IRL cause he knows a lot of people from NKU. I told him its probably a shot in the dark but I figured I'd ask.
My real name is Evan Downing. I am unsure if I know an Ian Beckman, but if he plays smash he is welcome to play me.

Also, I'm not telling people how to beat me. I'm a step ahead of everything I say; this just gets people up to speed. I can't improve if the people around me don't show me something new, now can I?

Might as well help ROB players out and maybe see a few good ROBs appear elsewhere. They might have a cool new counterpick, an awesome gimp or combo, or maybe just show me how a matchup is meant to be played. I'm good, but I'm not superman.

orintemple

Smash Lord
My real name is Evan Downing. I am unsure if I know an Ian Beckman, but if he plays smash he is welcome to play me.

Also, I'm not telling people how to beat me. I'm a step ahead of everything I say; this just gets people up to speed. I can't improve if the people around me don't show me something new, now can I?

Might as well help ROB players out and maybe see a few good ROBs appear elsewhere. They might have a cool new counterpick, an awesome gimp or combo, or maybe just show me how a matchup is meant to be played. I'm good, but I'm not superman.
I will ask him if he knows someone by that name and give him your challenge.

I figured you were a step ahead, still it is nice that high level players give advice rather than be jerks who just rub it in everyones face.

Top Bottom