• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You have enough time to dair them while they're on the ledge, and you'll have enough time to get over to the spot they'd roll and you can dsmash. You actually kinda "float" over to the place where they'd end their roll. If they roll, you don't have to attack anyways.
No, you don't.

As for ness.... knock him off the edge, hit him out of his jump, then float down with him. when he uses his up+b, he dies. GG.

If you grab him on the stage, mash Z, then dash grab him again. You can do this all the way to the edge, then forward throw. then laser/gyro him. If you hit him out of his 2nd jump, hover above him so you use up his pk thunder. If you can't, just grab him again and repeat.

I don't do that in friendlies, but it works in tournament! :D

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
As for ness.... knock him off the edge, hit him out of his jump, then float down with him. when he uses his up+b, he dies. GG.

If you grab him on the stage, mash Z, then dash grab him again. You can do this all the way to the edge, then forward throw. then laser/gyro him. If you hit him out of his 2nd jump, hover above him so you use up his pk thunder. If you can't, just grab him again and repeat.

Overswarm. You dirty dog you. you're messed up. i likes.

waks

Smash Journeyman
No, you don't.

Pros do everything they can to win :p

waks

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but Ness got it worse than Lucas, right? Or is there no difference at all?

Sudai

Stuff here
For the grab-releases: Yes. Ness has it worse overall. It really doesn't effect the ROB one though. No one I've played has been able to DI away + Jab like Lucas can do on Marth.

waks

Smash Journeyman
Thats good.

Also, I dont know if this has been mentioned, but I kinda did a Bair WoP the other day on Snake. Using ROB's front hitbox of bair and chased the opponent off the stage and killed him. You think its plausible? This was at sorta low %s too, so the knockback wasnt great.

And it certainly killed Bair's killing power after, lol.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Bair as an approach is great for snake, since he normally f-tilts out of shield. This makes him turn around, giving you a few extra frames and making it more difficult for snake.

waks

Smash Journeyman
Yeah thats true. But what I was meaning to get your opinion on, was WoP'ing with bair. What do you think of it?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yeah thats true. But what I was meaning to get your opinion on, was WoP'ing with bair. What do you think of it?
It's very situational. It autospaces, so it can be pretty easy to do and very effective. Just gotta know when to stop. It's not so much to do damage as it is to make your opponents change up your approach so you can surprise THEM.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
also, if you're quick enough with your fingers, you do the WoP bair until they think your bairs have pushed you too far away to be effective [and your opponent knows this], you jump toward them, turnaround-gyro-cancel ->bair

not the fastest thing, but it has its uses.

waks

Smash Journeyman
also, if you're quick enough with your fingers, you do the WoP bair until they think your bairs have pushed you too far away to be effective [and your opponent knows this], you jump toward them, turnaround-gyro-cancel ->bair

not the fastest thing, but it has its uses.
Sounds really good. Situational but still good.

And Ive been using ROB more than Snake now, I better change my sig soon. XD Been looking at those "mini-robs" thread :laugh:

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing a lot of good sonics online. Now when I play a good sonic in person I usually stand a good chance. Yet I've been getting my *** kicked online. Even with barely any lag I get my *** comboed. Maybe I just suck but he puts up a good fight. ANy1 have suggestions against him on and offline?

Sudai

Stuff here
I posted in the Oli thread since I actually want to make other people better. OS, I know, I know. Soul crushing, less opponents, blah blah blah. I just want to help make people better faster. Oh wait, didn't you make a thread in tactical discussion for that very reason? XP

Edit: Copypasta

So, after playing on YS and Lylat a -lot- and getting angry at my gyro not letting me grab it (along with other people complaining about not being able to grab it), I did some testing. Turns out ROB's base has to be level with or below the gyro's position. If you know that, it makes grabbing the gyro so much easier on those two stages and you can use it to your advantage against people that don't know that. : )

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
So, after playing on YS and Lylat a -lot- and getting angry at my gyro not letting me grab it (along with other people complaining about not being able to grab it), I did some testing. Turns out ROB's base has to be level with or below the gyro's position. If you know that, it makes grabbing the gyro so much easier on those two stages and you can use it to your advantage against people that don't know that. : )
SH, Z right away or right before you hit the ground.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
That Ness/Lucas grab trick isn't worth it, imo.

Sets up good for f-smashes at higher percentages, though. Good times.

Sudai

Stuff here
How is it not worth it, max? Chain grab-release across a stage, let them get released again, drop off FAir, Laser their double jump and you win. lol.

goodkid

Smash Lord
I feel like I'm not thinking enough during my matches. This may be a complicated question, but how can I get better at my prediction skills and reading my opponents?

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
ugh...**** Olimar. I think i'm just really bad against him (except on Luigi's Mansion raperaperaperape). Anyway...here's to lifting up the spirit of ROB players:

I just got 2nd in a tournament.

Beating the best Snake/Marth/Metaknight in our region (they're different people).

Oh and...Ice Climbers??? Yeah, **** those soulless Inuit death babies >_<

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Olimar is gay, but if you use your gyro well, you can consistently and systematically get rid of his pikmin.

I pretend I'm peach when I play me some Ice Climbers. DSmash works like a charm. Or a well oiled machine?

Sudai

Stuff here
Oli is meh. I don't really care about him. Icys are -too freaking easy- Gyro splits them, DSmash splits. It's ********.

Sudai finally got a video recorded. It's against MK. Just so happens to be Lee, best in Louisiana. Chyeah. Poor DI killed my last stock on Animal Crossing and then I barely lost on Skyworld (my CP). You guys'll see so I'll shut up now. Oh, and it's on a digital camera..so it might be a while before it gets uploaded..just wanted tho share that you guys finally get to see a Cajun ROB.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
Oli is meh. I don't really care about him. Icys are -too freaking easy- Gyro splits them, DSmash splits. It's ********..
against Olimar, I just turn into a dumb player. That's the bottom line, really. His practice partner is a ROB main so he's got tons of ROB practice whereas I have none against Olimar. The whole set of both Winners/Grand Finals was me saying outloud "oh...okay. I guess you can never be above Olimar. *moments later*...and don't let him camp you with pikmin just run in...*moments later*...bad idea." of course, it was really more like "*gets upsmashed out of stupidity* TOASTY GOD****IT WHAT DID I SAY! DON'T ****ING APPROACH FROM ABOVE!" and that invisible forward range of the yellow-pikmin usmash @_@

ICs...never played against em really. The chain throw [where they just pass you to eachother] is toooo good. ICs who abuse freeze are hard to really get to. Granted, my knowledge of them are limited to basically one match, but still. God****it.

Anyway.

Is the video posted yet?

Sudai

Stuff here
No, video isn't up yet. A bunch of us (including the video recorder) went out to IHoP around 4ish (we did teams after singles. Tourney started at 7, ended at 3. lol) And then the recorder left for home around 5 to go sleep. I'm just getting home (posted earlier from a friend's comp). It'll probably be 3 days minimum, sadly.

ICs: Don't approach and you won't get grabbed. They have to get -close- to grab. Laser goes through freeze. Spot-dodge > DSmash usually splits them up, at which point you **** Nana to hell doing reverse lasers and gyros to keep the popo away. Once popo is alone, good sh*t. I play against ICs a good bit.

Oli: Its really one of those matchups that just make me go "bleh". Not cause it's hard, it's just a stupid fight in my eyes. Gyro on the ground beats most pikmen (save for yellows...*******s), and Lasers snipe them out of the air. SH it so you can hit the Oli too. Like, really though, just approach on the ground or make them approach you and the game is yours. Once they're off stage, laser and FAir makes them dead. Don't bother chasing him out far, just smack him once after he double jumps and bee-line for the edge (I still don't get the term bee-line though..cause bees definitely don't fly in straight lines...).

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
thanks for the tips against Oli...the ICs player approaches with freeze so that nullifies most chances for me to spot dodge....gah, basically he's really good at making me feel cornered. I just need to be a smarter player in general against him...

(I still don't get the term bee-line though..cause bees definitely don't fly in straight lines...).
it's because bees, when loaded up with nectar, travel the shortest distance possible back to the hive.

Sudai

Stuff here
thanks for the tips against Oli...the ICs player approaches with freeze so that nullifies most chances for me to spot dodge....gah, basically he's really good at making me feel cornered. I just need to be a smarter player in general against him...
Desynched SH Freeze approach? If it's not desynched and he just SH Freezes, roll behind him. Roll behind works again. lol

it's because bees, when loaded up with nectar, travel the shortest distance possible back to the hive.
Oh ****. Thanks.

Top Bottom