• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Serious Questions Time:

1. When taking on Fox, it's a pain to get him off once he's got his utilt to dair crap going. After I decide to try to dodge, what then? He's gonna chase me down, and camping game isn't so useful vs that reflectzorz. Tilts? Aerials? I'm not sure where Fox really has a disadvantage. I feel nervous going to the skies since Fox has gorgeous underbelly shots for moves, and we all know how ROB loves those. (*Sarcasm*) Help?
Good questions! :D

Fox can be pretty good if you don't DI out of his stuff or shield properly, so make sure you learn to do that! I'll have a video up eventually that'll help.

Remember that Fox can't float around like super sonic! If he jumps to do a dair, just walk out of the way and f-tilt him. Fox isn't that deadly if he's not comboing, so focus on not letting him combo you. He hits you with the nair or bair every once in a while, no big deal. Just avoid his combo attacks and try to get him off the edge. That's where ROB shines!

2. Falco's are annoying. I get nervous over that stupid Down-B, and it even screws up our gyro if it was a full charge. That makes me lose a projectile unless I get rid of him, which tends to be a hastle. I know most suggest take it off the edge early for a gimp, which I've done a few times, but how am I to actually set up such a good combo.
Grab the edge. Sit there. Let him come to you. If he doesn't, jump off the edge and laser him by angling it into the ground. If he shoots his reflector, it still won't hit. Falco can be irritating, but ROB has the advantage. Just grab the edge, make Falco come to you.

3. Stages. I don't know how to counterpick at all. I just let the other person pick a stage, and it seems to always go out of my favor. Yoshi's Story is one that comes to mind. I wish you guys would make a page or something explaining counterpicks for certain characters because of playstyle etc.
Frigate Orpheon is a good stage against just about everyone, especially tether recoveries.

Luigi's Mansion is another really good one.

That covers most of your bases. JJapes can be good against some like Snake, Rainbow Cruise is great against Olimar and Snake, etc., etc.

4. Snake edgeguards. I cannot for my life get back on the stage. On all of my Snake matchups, they manage to do superbly well keeping me off the edge. I don't have any clue how to get back on without grabs, tilts, or shield to grabs/tilts ripping my face. Then I get the good Snakes that could Bair/Nair my face when I get back on. Tilts are evilll! Lasers and Gyros don't do me too well. Well, my laser isn't fully charged (in this fight at least). Should I wind it up for those needy occasions?
Grab the edge, or float back to the center of the stage then air dodge. Snakes shouldn't be edgeguarding you well at all! You may need to focus more on the basics rather than ROB specific things.

5. Glide Tossing, when is it a good or bad idea? I never seem to know. I feel like some fights it's a bad idea. Is it a good idea to throw up or back on specific character fights? I'm trying to make sure I use things when applicable and can set-up.

Any help here, by any of you ROB pros, would be appreciated greatly.
Glide tossing is always a good idea. Sometimes glide smash, sometimes glide grab. Always good when you can do it though.

If you're not comfortable with it, glide toss AWAY from the opponent. This hits them with the gyro, propels you away, and allows you to laser.

Btw... battlefield is ROB's worst stage. Keep that in mind. o_o

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Btw... battlefield is ROB's worst stage. Keep that in mind. o_o
whaaaattttt????????????????????? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? that's like, my best stage as ROB haha...maybe it's just my favorite in Brawl and I don't keep track of my record on that stage? I dunno...I like it and I love the platforms. Maybe I just have a strange ROB? of course, some matchups suck *** there (MK, probably G&W if I ever get to face one) I also do best against Falco there. the best thing about the platforms is the great number of uairs/utilts/usmashes I can land...esp SH-uair when tech chasing under a platform

It's always served me well in tournament...why do you guys say it's the worst ROB stage? [obviously, staying on the platforms is bad because of the weakness ROB has below him]
maybe you'll jog my memory and I'll realize I suck there? haha

Also...OS:
Thank you for bringing up spot-dodge-->utilt a while back. It helped immensely.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Is it true OS that R.O.B. purrs like a kitten while he's charg'n his laserz?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Umm... maybe BF or Yoshis? Small and Platformy sounds like Oli's advantage, at least to me. If not, maybe Ville or Lylat. I would stick with the small ones being my guess, personally.
Yes, the platforms are advantageous for Olimar. Stick to FD and SV.

Informant

Smash Apprentice
California....just like every one else silly!
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
Hey Overswarm, I didn't get an answer for "Is doing fsmash while holding the gyroscope useful at all?". Also, do you dash a lot? I don't dash for fear of tripping so much, but is there a trigger to tripping?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If you f-smash while holding a gyro, I guess you could hit them with it after they get knocked back from the f-smash. That's 'bout it.

noodles

Smash Champion
DanGr is right. I haven't given information out of thin air in a while.

Here goes:

ROB's auto-setups!

These are situations that happen all the time, especially if you look for them. They all lead to multiple hits or an amazing advantage for ROB... so if you don't do these already, look out for them! I'm keeping them simple, but you can realize through plug and play that they go together somethings. So you can back-air to d-tilt, and you can also d-tilt to grab? You can d-throw to u-air? Combine them if need be!

D-smash to u-air combo

D-throw to u-air combo

U-throw to u-air combo

Dash attack to u-tilt (until correct height or they jump) to u-air combo

Bair to Fair combo

Bair to D-tilt

D-tilt to Grab

F-tilt to Gyro to laser

B-throw (low %) off the edge to f-tilt (works wonders on snake, grab his cypher)

Single Jab to d-tilt

Single Jab to d-smash

Single Jab to just about anything

Fair to Fair to Fair....

Dash attack to u-smash (invaluable against Dedede)

Footstool to dair

Dair to U-smash

Glide toss to any smash or grab

Dropping gyro to any aerial to throwing gyro

Thrown gyro to laser

Laser to glide toss (good to keep your opponent shielding)

THat's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more... but if you are looking for things to practice, look at that list and make sure you can do everything there on cue. If you're losing a lot in a certain matchup, try picking out combos from there and focusing on them.

I used to have a lot of trouble with Metaknight until I realized that I could d-smash when he was at 0% and automatically get a u-air off. That knowledge, combined with spaced fairs (which outrange all his aerials) allows me to get the extra damage I need if I force these situations to occur.

D3 has been a lot easier since I started doing dash attack to double u-tilt to double u-air. Sometimes all it takes is one combo to really put a game in your favor!
short hop fair, fair, ftilt

whaaaattttt????????????????????? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? that's like, my best stage as ROB haha...maybe it's just my favorite in Brawl and I don't keep track of my record on that stage? I dunno...I like it and I love the platforms. Maybe I just have a strange ROB? of course, some matchups suck *** there (MK, probably G&W if I ever get to face one) I also do best against Falco there. the best thing about the platforms is the great number of uairs/utilts/usmashes I can land...esp SH-uair when tech chasing under a platform

It's always served me well in tournament...why do you guys say it's the worst ROB stage? [obviously, staying on the platforms is bad because of the weakness ROB has below him]
maybe you'll jog my memory and I'll realize I suck there? haha

Also...OS:
Thank you for bringing up spot-dodge-->utilt a while back. It helped immensely.
yea battlefield is like my favorite too, expecially since fd sucks in this game.

toasty

Smash Hero
If you f-smash while holding a gyro, I guess you could hit them with it after they get knocked back from the f-smash. That's 'bout it.
wait, fsmash while holding the gyro? is that even possible? did I miss something? and if it IS possible, then you could Fsmash->glidetoss->whatever

but yeah if you actually mean you can fsmash while holding it, how?

noodles

Smash Champion
wait, fsmash while holding the gyro? is that even possible? did I miss something? and if it IS possible, then you could Fsmash->glidetoss->whatever

but yeah if you actually mean you can fsmash while holding it, how?
someone posted that earlier so i checked it out. if you grab the gyro with a, hold the a button and use the c-stick you can fsmash, however you cant up/down smash. if you press down ROB goes into his "crouching" animation, pressing up doesnt do much, and since your holding a it'll charge. i suppose you can let go of a early though.

R.O.B.O.T.

Smash Cadet
someone posted that earlier so i checked it out. if you grab the gyro with a, hold the a button and use the c-stick you can fsmash, however you cant up/down smash. if you press down ROB goes into his "crouching" animation, pressing up doesnt do much, and since your holding a it'll charge. i suppose you can let go of a early though.
Wow I have to try that out.

Sudai

Stuff here
You could always do the smash with Z too so you don't have to convult your hand to reach the c-stick. I meant to try this yesterday, but I forgot. Could you like...Up-B + Aerial (cause you can't throw the gyro while in your up-b), continue holding A after aerial and then smash like that? I tried after picking up the gyro, but completely forgot to try that one.

Also, BF against snake is a horrible idea. A good snake has better stage control than a good ROB, and I feel battlefield is all about stage control. Pick somewhere that has some distance to it so you can take advantage of your range. (Close and long)

Sudai

Stuff here
DanGR, I think you mean Brinstar Depths? Or were you referring to Frigate Orephon.

I like the Frigate vs Snake, but I'd try to avoid the other two. It's hard to see mines/nades on Brinstar Depths and when the Lava's up, you're kind of screwed if the Snake is good. C4 on the far right platform means you have to be on the left or top, where he can be and tilt **** you.

Snake has such great stage control on Norfair it's not even funny. C4 on either middle platforms makes it so he has about 2/5ths of the stage under control. UTilt ***** the platforms. FTilt ***** when you're sharing a platform. He has tons of ledges to ledge cancel his aerials. He can SH NAir from the top of one platform and DI to the bottom. He's pretty safe the whole way down and if you get hit by one, you're screwed unless you can SDI well.

Sure, there's no mortar slide, but the mortar slide really isn't that great anyway. Not VS ROB anyway.

Basically, anywhere that the majority of the space is small platforms, you don't want to take Snake.

Edit: I just thought about Lylat and how you should avoid it if at all possible against a Snake!! He can mortar slide AND he has 3 low platforms for great stage control. The C4 explosion reaches the ground from those 3 platforms and the mines/nades/C4 all kind of blend into the stage as well.

Sudai

Stuff here
So, I heard the MidWest got rapped by water.

Anyway, yeah, RainbowCruise is -always- my counterpick against a Snake. It's way too easy to gimp him like hell. Just make sure you know the path and you stay further ahead on the path than him.

SlutMachine

Smash Journeyman
Wooooow.... Omg I finally finished reading the ENTIRE thread in two days...I feel like my head is about to explode now...anywayz...Thanks OS and Chozen and all u other guys for all that useful information. I main ROB (a. because hes the **** and b. because his name is cool) and I can't find a secondary that I like so I want to be a real good ROB player to help represent the east coast and other ROB players. I've been doing pretty decently in friendlies, and when I really concentrate, I can do some good stuff..however I had my first real big match a week ago against Dark Peach (OUCH) and I got crushed. This leads to my first question...

What do I do against a peach that is extremely good at floating right at my head level and has really good spacing? And he really knows what to do against spam a.k.a the shield button plus turnips, so that plan went out the window quick... help me plz

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
peach is a ***** when played right. her float cancel or w.e its called makes it so she can do an aerial to a jab combo which puts pressure on rob. she can glide toss to anything and hee utilt is a great killing move.

i find it easy to block her aerial to jab combo and either jab or grab and right after hit her with a laser. peach is also very easy to hit with your fair 2-4 times before she up+b. and save your nair or fmash those will kill her around 90% or earlier if your close to the edge or mid way from the ceiling

Sudai

Stuff here
I've played peach twice and all I know about the fight is catch her turnips. More shiz to glide-toss with. Also, her glide toss is nothing too special, so don't worry about that.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
it should be noted that you should spam the tiny laser whenever she floats to make her fall. If she falls close to you, she will often dash attack; from here you can do a number of things, like shield grab or spot dodge to whatever.

Also, WoPing with the bair is an awesome thing against Peach when she doesn't have much room to move.

SlutMachine

Smash Journeyman
the main problem with that peach was not necessarily a float cancel to jab combo, but it was that she would float there and use dair over and over...either until i got hit or it shield poked me. So I thought to myself "I'll just outprioritize her with any of my moves"...that's when either her dair would be too quick for my move to come out or I would get a pointy tiara to the face.

SlutMachine

Smash Journeyman
edit-WOW I can't believe I double posted...I'm an *******. I didn't even notice I was doing it.

WoPing with the bair is an awesome thing against Peach when she doesn't have much room to move.
Oh yea I meant to ask you about WoPing with the bair...i'm kinda confused about doing it...like which way should I face and where should I land...may I please have a link to a good video of u WoPing with bair a lot? Also, I have a problem camping on Frigate...I feel like the platforms on the sides don't stay there long enough for me to camp on...can I have a video example of that too??

toasty

Smash Hero
REALLY good Peach players [I've only played against one Peach and that's Forte, and his is REALLY good...so I'm not certain less-than-pro Peach players do this but I'm sure it'll catch on soon enough if it hasn't already] will do throw this in, as well:

float-cancel --> jab-jab-->dash grab [about as good as Ness's] and when you stop shielding because you're expecting the dash grab, they'll do dash attack instead of the grab which stays out forever :(

they will also do float cancel-->ONE Jab -->SH-backward while starting the fair and go forward when the hitbox comes out...they'll also do this when they can read/bait shield-grab attempts. like if you shield the first jab, they'll jump back and do this to punish your missed grab...

if you want to be really REALLY safe against Peach [and if she doesn't have a turnip], I stick to the advice Doll gave me in Melee against Peach: Roll. There are VERY few times you can truly punish Peach upclose and that's if she misses a SideB or misuses her neutralB [in Brawl, you can also punish a missed fair because she can't float cancel it].

The problem with this is that in Brawl, her sideB is a **** good move to tech chase with. The good thing? The times when it's most crucial to get away from Peach [like when she is floating with her dair to **** your shield], you can roll away before her second dair comes out....................I think. You should be pretty safe.

I've said this before: fair trades hits with a LOT of things...more than you would think. And her fair is NOT something you want to trade hits with at high damage. It's one of her most reliable killing moves.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have a question for you OS. I found a really useful tactic for edgeguarding. You run off the stage and dair, and you carry your momentum back to the stage and you can immediately dtilt or fsmash if you can't get the spike. Should this be used over fair woping?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I have a question for you OS. I found a really useful tactic for edgeguarding. You run off the stage and dair, and you carry your momentum back to the stage and you can immediately dtilt or fsmash if you can't get the spike. Should this be used over fair woping?
I do this sometimes, but it rarely works and it leaves you open quite a bit.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
hows it leave you open...you can attack directly after the dair. I'm confused...

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah unfortunately the extreme edge warp in brawl makes it kind of useless. It's worth using against Snake and Wario though, if they put themselves in that position.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
hows it leave you open...you can attack directly after the dair. I'm confused...
You can't. There is considerable lag after the dair in which they cna roll behind you, or do an aerial. Especially since they are invincible when they start rolling, so they can start when you start the dair.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
You can't. There is considerable lag after the dair in which they cna roll behind you, or do an aerial. Especially since they are invincible when they start rolling, so they can start when you start the dair.
You have enough time to dair them while they're on the ledge, and you'll have enough time to get over to the spot they'd roll and you can dsmash. You actually kinda "float" over to the place where they'd end their roll. If they roll, you don't have to attack anyways.

Top Bottom