• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Sudai

Stuff here
I play a lot of ****.. Lead, Bass, Drums, Synth. Hell, I can even vocal if the song calls for something monotoned (I speak in near-monotone..lol). Also play Trumpet, Sax, and I'm trying to get my hands on a Hangdrum..(This thing) Those *****es are so expensive though...and I'd have to fly out to Sweden...I think Sudai just loves music.

Oh, and yes Leads are more sought after, but the girls I talk to are usually aren't fan-girls and they prefer the added hand dexterity that comes with being a bassist. Music can impress but nimble hands can do so much more.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
That hang drum thing is crazy o_O. Did anyone else get a Chrono Trigger vibe from that song? Start listening right around 0:45.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
mannn I love all the recent music talk ^_^ makes me wanna get back into it. not being in high school took me away from my jazzband buddies, my old conductor moved away so no jamming with him. I moved away from my old bass teacher. My band died when everyone went to different colleges, Gastroesophageal reflux disease (Chronic heartburn...it's hereditary :() and poor maintenance killed any future as a screamer for other bands...and then Halo/Billiards/Girlfriend/working out filled the void...and then Smash/Girlfriend/Acting took over...and that's kind of where I'm at now...though, different girl, and different Smash :)

Also...you can't even talk about bass solos without bringing in Victor Wooten =D

Nimbleness isn't the issue...there's a certain added quality of strength to the hands/fingers of bassists.

In the SIMPLEST of Smash terms...

Guitar = Marth

Bass = Ike

Make sense?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yeah. Bass is low tier.

HEYOOOOOO

If I ever go to the East Coast and have room in my car, I'll bring my acoustic and some bongos and we'll have a ROB jam session.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Weird, it seems like all the ROB names are musicians. I play a lot of instruments, although I'm not a good vocalist ^_^
That's actually funny you say that, I'm a singer. Various chorus's and my own band. We should start a ROBOT band.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
hopefully I'll have my hookah by then (This thing, hah)...if I win some money this upcoming friday, I might get it and take it to MD 4th of July weekend =D!!!

EDIT: the other ROB main in SoVa [though he stopped playing because of girlfriend, smash buddies were all Out-of-the-area kids and he was a commuter, so they're home for summer..........and he didn't know, at the time, how to beat Snake and he kept losing tourneys to Snakes] is a sick guitarist/bassist as well ^_^

Sudai

Stuff here
Meh, I really don't care what girls chase after between guitarist and bassist, cause I'm gonna have a hang drum and steal all the chicks away. That thing is like..the best instrument ever. If you go look at youtube vids with it, there's so many different things it can do. It's like...the instrument of instruments. An entire band in your lap.

I'll be the hangdrum player for the ROBand (that's my proposal for our name) once I get it, until then I can just do vocals and synth? : o

Edit: Is Nacker the only non-musical type so far? lol

bossyjellyfish

Foxes Mate for Life
Nimbleness isn't the issue...there's a certain added quality of strength to the hands/fingers of bassists.

In the SIMPLEST of Smash terms...

Guitar = Marth

Bass = Ike

Make sense?
Bassists must do better online.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are you going to bestow knowledge or what? I'm waiting...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
DanGr is right. I haven't given information out of thin air in a while.

Here goes:

ROB's auto-setups!

These are situations that happen all the time, especially if you look for them. They all lead to multiple hits or an amazing advantage for ROB... so if you don't do these already, look out for them! I'm keeping them simple, but you can realize through plug and play that they go together somethings. So you can back-air to d-tilt, and you can also d-tilt to grab? You can d-throw to u-air? Combine them if need be!

D-smash to u-air combo

D-throw to u-air combo

U-throw to u-air combo

Dash attack to u-tilt (until correct height or they jump) to u-air combo

Bair to Fair combo

Bair to D-tilt

D-tilt to Grab

F-tilt to Gyro to laser

B-throw (low %) off the edge to f-tilt (works wonders on snake, grab his cypher)

Single Jab to d-tilt

Single Jab to d-smash

Single Jab to just about anything

Fair to Fair to Fair....

Dash attack to u-smash (invaluable against Dedede)

Footstool to dair

Dair to U-smash

Glide toss to any smash or grab

Dropping gyro to any aerial to throwing gyro

Thrown gyro to laser

Laser to glide toss (good to keep your opponent shielding)

THat's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more... but if you are looking for things to practice, look at that list and make sure you can do everything there on cue. If you're losing a lot in a certain matchup, try picking out combos from there and focusing on them.

I used to have a lot of trouble with Metaknight until I realized that I could d-smash when he was at 0% and automatically get a u-air off. That knowledge, combined with spaced fairs (which outrange all his aerials) allows me to get the extra damage I need if I force these situations to occur.

D3 has been a lot easier since I started doing dash attack to double u-tilt to double u-air. Sometimes all it takes is one combo to really put a game in your favor!

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
thanks, I'll look over the list and practice those. Are most of them character specific?-like footstool to dair. That would require a character that doesn't fall fast correct? Has anyone discussed this?:

you have a gyro in your hand and you're in the air. z>bair. You bair and you grab the gyro. I got a sweet lookin kill from it today. My opponent didn't expect an attack other than the gyro. :)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Panflute cant handle aggressive pressure from Electric Guitar? :(
Guitar hit rhythm and lead at once. Top tier. Pan flute could not accomplish this feat.

BACK TO ROB

edit: Dangr, some of those combos only work on specific characters. Dair to U-smash only works on larger characters like D3,and even then only at certain % unless they don't air dodge. Just something to keep an eye out for.

Also:

It's really good :D

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
oops. didn't see it. :p yeah, it's like dropping bananerz into a fair for the kill with diddy.

MarthIsMyHero

Smash Apprentice
Serious Questions Time:

1. When taking on Fox, it's a pain to get him off once he's got his utilt to dair crap going. After I decide to try to dodge, what then? He's gonna chase me down, and camping game isn't so useful vs that reflectzorz. Tilts? Aerials? I'm not sure where Fox really has a disadvantage. I feel nervous going to the skies since Fox has gorgeous underbelly shots for moves, and we all know how ROB loves those. (*Sarcasm*) Help?

2. Falco's are annoying. I get nervous over that stupid Down-B, and it even screws up our gyro if it was a full charge. That makes me lose a projectile unless I get rid of him, which tends to be a hastle. I know most suggest take it off the edge early for a gimp, which I've done a few times, but how am I to actually set up such a good combo.

3. Stages. I don't know how to counterpick at all. I just let the other person pick a stage, and it seems to always go out of my favor. Yoshi's Story is one that comes to mind. I wish you guys would make a page or something explaining counterpicks for certain characters because of playstyle etc.

4. Snake edgeguards. I cannot for my life get back on the stage. On all of my Snake matchups, they manage to do superbly well keeping me off the edge. I don't have any clue how to get back on without grabs, tilts, or shield to grabs/tilts ripping my face. Then I get the good Snakes that could Bair/Nair my face when I get back on. Tilts are evilll! Lasers and Gyros don't do me too well. Well, my laser isn't fully charged (in this fight at least). Should I wind it up for those needy occasions?

5. Glide Tossing, when is it a good or bad idea? I never seem to know. I feel like some fights it's a bad idea. Is it a good idea to throw up or back on specific character fights? I'm trying to make sure I use things when applicable and can set-up.

Any help here, by any of you ROB pros, would be appreciated greatly.

waks

Smash Journeyman
Lol, enough of Guitar top tier~ness (although it really is top tier because aside from beating up other instruments, it also attracts females :D)

Was it Z to drop the gyro from the air?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
3. Stages. I don't know how to counterpick at all. I just let the other person pick a stage, and it seems to always go out of my favor. Yoshi's Story is one that comes to mind. I wish you guys would make a page or something explaining counterpicks for certain characters because of playstyle etc.
I think FD is one of the best stages for Rob. horizontal recovery is a plus. big space to work with is a plus. no platforms is a big plus. As for the other characters, you just have to memorize which ones are good for what characters. Otherwise, Try to think about what traits the character has and what you think would hurt him. Example: Olimar, my main. He has a great aerial game, good air pressure from below and disjointed hitbox on his upsmash and upair. Great ground defense. What do you think would be a good stage NOT to CP against him and what do you think would be a GOOD stage to counterpick against him given his traits and why? Please let MarthIsMyHero answer everyone.

MarthIsMyHero

Smash Apprentice
I think FD is one of the best stages for Rob. horizontal recovery is a plus. big space to work with is a plus. no platforms is a big plus. As for the other characters, you just have to memorize which ones are good for what characters. Otherwise, Try to think about what traits the character has and what you think would hurt him. Example: Olimar, my main. He has a great aerial game, good air pressure from below and disjointed hitbox on his upsmash and upair. Great ground defense. What do you think would be a good stage NOT to CP against him and what do you think would be a GOOD stage to counterpick against him given his traits and why? Please let MarthIsMyHero answer everyone.
Umm... maybe BF or Yoshis? Small and Platformy sounds like Oli's advantage, at least to me. If not, maybe Ville or Lylat. I would stick with the small ones being my guess, personally.

Top Bottom