• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
About your hidden segment there, I did that all the time with Mewtwo in Melee, but honestly a lot of that was weird habitual things like what I mentioned above in conjunction with L-canceling. The only problem with Mewtwo doing that in Melee is that after you tech after recieving a major hit, such as Marth's tipper, it literrally propelled him ACROSS THE STAGE because the momentum was insane. It's really really silly seeing a Mewtwo basically tech a tipper and perform what is visually similar to a Samus super wavedash and end up safely, albeit awkwardly, at the edge.

Sometimes it sent me off the level too, depending on percents. Crazy stuff. Sadly, like I said, it was mostly a coincidence that occured due to l-canceling, so I don't pull that stuff off in Brawl even randomly :-(, but for the life of me I don't think that intentionally performing that technique is a good idea, because to be able to pull that off intentionally you would have to be able to predict the hit, and if you did that you would be better off ground dodging, would you not?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
hey overswarm, you demonstrated how to gimp DDD's upB, but will that apply to ike as well?
No. They are different, and Ike never will up+b onto the center of the stage. It is better to shield and punish, or grab the edge and punish.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I guess that clears it. Rob, here I come!

Seriously though, about the dair. Ok, Rob can spike Ike and Mk. Why is this a big deal y'all? Every character can spike them...

Sudai

Stuff here
OS, the hidden thing. It was done with SDI in Melee (SDI into ground + tech), though I'm fairly sure that while you're already on the ground, you can't SDI to the ground in brawl. I read that somewhere, but forgot where. Anyway, it might have worked because you were on a slant like that. SDI sideways to the slant + tech. Only way I could think to do it.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
LOL @ Hidden Text...
I bet i just mindgame'd you all b/c you assumed i would write something important..
Hidden within this oddly blacked WALL OF TEXT....

Unfortuntaly i am behaving more like T0MMY and posting worthless info that means nothing

LOOL

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
Reading this thread takes forever. Took me three days (with sporadic reading) to finish the thing. Lemme see if I've got it down alright.

So, the suggested AT's:
Glide tossing, gyro-cancelling, and RAR'ing are the ones I remember the most. I dunno if I'm going to start b-sticking if the only reason if wavebouncing. If we could try to find a decent way to wavebounce without b-sticking, we'd all benefit.

I'm pretty satisfied with most of my normal play, like following off the edge, not being predictable with my spot dodge/d-smash, and I'm learning to ff my bairs (such a good move). I'm a surgeon with the gyro, and I'm getting pretty decent with angling the laser correctly.

Is there any other aspect of my play that I should be working on to improve my game, other than AT's?

Also, what kind of control schemes do people use/suggest? I've got tap to jump off, and that's the only variation on the default. I know b-sticking for wavebouncing is done; what other variations on control schemes are used?

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
im reading this on a wii people wtf is up with the black txt -_- that is all
You Wise You Could Read My Sexy Hidden Text Don't Cha Son...
Too Bad You NEVER Will..
Without Help from someone else..
Like a blind man with a seeing eye dog...

You handicapped *******.

Funny Story.. Chozen's Fox>Nacker's EVERYTHING

Mr Swarm is a Sexy Devil.

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
You Wise You Could Read My Sexy Hidden Text Don't Cha Son...
Too Bad You NEVER Will..
Without Help from someone else..
Like a blind man with a seeing eye dog...

You handicapped *******.

Funny Story.. Chozen's Fox>Nacker's EVERYTHING

Mr Swarm is a Sexy Devil.
ha all i had to do was quote you lol and no your fox is bad xD

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The hidden text was a mindgame... it makes everyone think it is super important, then they read it, realize it is at least slightly important, and then because it was hidden makes it SUPER important. DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNN

Also, ROB is B rank according to Ankoku's ranking system using only tournament results. Step it up, ROB players!

Sudai

Stuff here
Louisiana has more Melee tournaments than Brawl tournaments, but I'll try. No homo

You have to use black text with no background because it's less noticeable than the black background and still invisible. : )

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
good **** @ 1st

also the ground teching thing...I don't have much of an understanding about it either, but I mad good at it in Melee and so my muscle memory made me essentially do the same thing [like a Magus tech...look it up on youtube, for those who don't know] but I usually don't use the Cstick to assist in DI. It was strange though, did that mess like the 1st week it came out and all of us just stopped and went @_@ because we thought/knew crouch canceling was out so we wondered how I pulled off the tech. [note, I was at 150ish, got hit by a KO move, and didn't go ANYWHERE. I just teched in place...and it was on a flat stage]

My reasoning is that ROB is so large that even when he's launched, the "contact bubble" of space around him with which you can tech is big enough to touch the ground, even if it's slight. I don't know how much DI helps because I don't know if you can DI downward...but just try it? You gotta be disgustingly fast, though.

EDIT@Sudai: that messed with my eyes...I was scrolling up and down and it seemed like there was text somewhere but I only saw the white text [before actually reading your post] but it threw me off enough to highlight everything to make sure haha

Sudai

Stuff here
lmao. Win.

Toasty, your teching on flat stages, were you landing from the air at the moment? So long as you're not actually on the ground when the move starts, you can SDI into the ground and tech. If you were just chilling and teched...then hot ****...ROB will become a true life-tank. Also, you can DI anything down so long as it's not a perfectly vertical KO move. DI in any direction works so long as it's not in the exact opposite direction you're being sent. The further from the normal trajectory you DI, the more effect it has as well.

Could you give more info on the flat-land teching? (IE: move used or a video)

toasty

Smash Hero
oooh...well I did that when I was just about to fall or maybe I was juuust above the ground [I mean barely above...way shorter than a short hop]. I have teched NEARLY in place while grounded but I was in hyperfocus mode and...yeah that's kinda what it would require. Extreme Cactuar-like reflexes.

as for actual information about the incident, it was so long ago that I don't even recall what happened. A lot of my amazing incidents of DI/teching...I have a lot of trouble recalling exactly what I did. But in Brawl I think I tend to SDI perpendicularly downward to the typical 30-45 degree trajectory for horizontal KO moves.

no clue if that helps. I'll comb through my recordings when I get a chance to see if anything similar occurs so I can cut it and post it.

Now that I think about it...it was a Wario Fsmash [the one when I was barely in the air]

_Mar_

Smash Cadet
I have just really started using ROB, and I usually play with one of my friends that plays with pikachu. Unfortunately I don't have a video of us playing eachother but I do have a video of his strategy. So does anyone have tips on how I could beat a pikachu that uses these tactics?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=08orVEALkr0

I also found a vid of overswarm facing a pikachu with the same tactics my friend uses

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s7hIYYI9T8k

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I have just really started using ROB, and I usually play with one of my friends that plays with pikachu. Unfortunately I don't have a video of us playing eachother but I do have a video of his strategy. So does anyone have tips on how I could beat a pikachu that uses these tactics?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=08orVEALkr0

I also found a vid of overswarm facing a pikachu with the same tactics my friend uses

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s7hIYYI9T8k
Go to the video thread in this forum and watch me beat Anther in that set as well as the other one :)

R.O.B.O.T.

Smash Cadet
Hey Overswarm, do you ever jump into the air with a gyro and just drop it? This can set up some pretty good combos sometimes.

_Mar_

Smash Cadet
Wow that helped a lot, I just have to master a few things and I could get close to beating him. My tactics are usually to get the other person off the stage but that strategy didn't really work because the pikachu was really hard to hit.

DMK.

Smash Journeyman
As a new ROB player, how should I start using the Bair in my game? I've got a fair grip of lazer/gyro spam, grab to uair combos, dodge/dsmash and the weird timing of nair. But I can't figure out how to start using bair effectively except for the occasional opponent that is stupid enough to stay hanging on a ledge long enough to stage spike him.

Sudai

Stuff here
oooh...well I did that when I was just about to fall or maybe I was juuust above the ground [I mean barely above...way shorter than a short hop]. I have teched NEARLY in place while grounded but I was in hyperfocus mode and...yeah that's kinda what it would require. Extreme Cactuar-like reflexes.
I've seen a few things similar (really close to the ground + SDI into the ground to tech). Sadly, it's not very useful. If you know you're gonna be hit and have that kind of reflexes, PowerShield > Jumping just to SDI and tech. Of course it's useful for if you're doing an aerial and can do nothing else, but still..it's not nearly as useful as ground teching was in Melee if this is the only way to do it.

as for actual information about the incident, it was so long ago that I don't even recall what happened. A lot of my amazing incidents of DI/teching...I have a lot of trouble recalling exactly what I did. But in Brawl I think I tend to SDI perpendicularly downward to the typical 30-45 degree trajectory for horizontal KO moves.
I know how that goes. I do that a lot. x.x

no clue if that helps. I'll comb through my recordings when I get a chance to see if anything similar occurs so I can cut it and post it.

Danke~ : D

Now that I think about it...it was a Wario Fsmash [the one when I was barely in the air]
Well, that's not nearly as important now that I know you're in the air. XP

waks

Smash Journeyman
As a new ROB player, how should I start using the Bair in my game? I've got a fair grip of lazer/gyro spam, grab to uair combos, dodge/dsmash and the weird timing of nair. But I can't figure out how to start using bair effectively except for the occasional opponent that is stupid enough to stay hanging on a ledge long enough to stage spike him.
Walking off the ledge and doing Bair, anticipating your opponents recovery usually works. Use it also to save fuel / 2nd jump when going back to the stage.

But I bet OS has a better answer, XD

toasty

Smash Hero
also note that when you do the bair, it propels ROB forward and almost all of his body becomes a hitbox. his face, and even the rear though the flames aren't visible. so it's great to approach someone making them shield or try to attack, but you short-hop backward and bair...they'll miss their shield-grab or attack or whatever, and you'll be rocketing into their face [don't spam this...it's good for getting people off the stage or just angering them]

you can edgeguard with this move no matter which way you're facing, which is nice.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
But I bet OS has a better answer, XD
OS posted a huge post about ROB's bair IN THIS THREAD. Either comb through it to find it, or go to the "Guide Overswarm wrote without realizing it" thread and check it out under ROB's moveset.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
The hidden text was a mindgame... it makes everyone think it is super important, then they read it, realize it is at least slightly important, and then because it was hidden makes it SUPER important. DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNN

Also, ROB is B rank according to Ankoku's ranking system using only tournament results. Step it up, ROB players!
No Jones.

BUT
hones
T
ly
S
urley
EX
perienced ROB players can use our XTREME
skills
to get first... EVERYWHERE....
PS- Nacker ur still going to be destroyed by me Foxzorz...

OS no jones come to Md/Va

Overswarm

is laughing at you
No Jones.

BUT
hones
T
ly
S
urley
EX
perienced ROB players can use our XTREME
skills
to get first... EVERYWHERE....
PS- Nacker ur still going to be destroyed by me Foxzorz...

OS no jones come to Md/Va
Every time there is a big tournament over there, PM me the link. I wanna go at least once, but they're all either at bad times or are shown to me only a week in advance. I gotta know this **** early!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
OS you gotta come to crit hit 3 dammit. It looks like toasty, DieSuperFly, and InterimofZeal are staying at my place so far, and I just started offering housing 3 days ago. It's gonna be sweet, and we're probably gonna be smashing all day Sunday too.

Top Bottom