• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Against DK, it's very easy to get a spike. Focus on that... try short hopping off the edge and shooting a laser, then stalling with the up+b until you can spike him. He has a very predictable pattern.

Noodles and Robot, stop spamming my thread. Use PMs.

R.O.B.O.T.

Smash Cadet
Against DK, it's very easy to get a spike. Focus on that... try short hopping off the edge and shooting a laser, then stalling with the up+b until you can spike him. He has a very predictable pattern.

Noodles and Robot, stop spamming my thread. Use PMs.
Really sorry about that.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
How are you so cool? also we should play some. you owe me for those BXRs I still have recorded
Haha... See, I'm a celebrity wherever you find me ;)

I don't have the internets capable of wifi just yet... gotta wait til I move back in to my apartment in August. But if you head down to a big tournament, sure. :)

FierceFox

Smash Apprentice
Anyways, when does ROBS laser have knockback power? I've tried to test it against my brother multiple times but it seems unpredictable. I watched a few games from HUGS and you and it seems you like to use it flat on the ground. Only time I've KO'd with it is when I tilt it downwards and it bounces of the ground and it seems to have more knockback power, but if so why do the pros not use it to edgeguard? Idk, I'd appreciate if you could help clear that mess up for me. Lol.

I saw you answered a question about the Gyro earlier, but what's its best use? When exactly do you know when to shoot it? I saw HUGS playing earlier, he actually used it to edgeguard and place it on the side. He never hit with it though, is it actually useful in edgeguarding? (in what ways if so)

I'm just starting to take this game seriously after watching many videos of ROB & others. I thought SSBB was still just a joke until watching. Now I'm inspired to start playing. :) I'll probably have more questions later.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You've probably answered these questions before, but I don't feel like running through all the pages to find the answer.
What a coincidence!

I don't feel like answering your question.

Weird how that works.

Overswarm

is laughing at you

I have no problem answering questions that people want answers to... I have no problem answering questions that are complex, or are even slightly different than previously asked questions...

But really now. When you start off your post with "I didn't feel like reading the thread" and then give me a paragraph of questions already asked, that just shows you are being lazy. Lazy people don't get anywhere; I'm trying to help out other ROB players so ROB gets good, and gets good fast. Helping people that can't bother to at least check the first few pages is self-defeating. It's like pushing someone on a bicycle that refuses to pedal.

There is SO much more information given out by me and other ROB mainers in this thread... if you aren't interested at all in the information and your question is "how long does it take to charge the laser", you need to start pushing the pedals.

Sliq

Smash Master

I have no problem answering questions that people want answers to... I have no problem answering questions that are complex, or are even slightly different than previously asked questions...

But really now. When you start off your post with "I didn't feel like reading the thread" and then give me a paragraph of questions already asked, that just shows you are being lazy. Lazy people don't get anywhere; I'm trying to help out other ROB players so ROB gets good, and gets good fast. Helping people that can't bother to at least check the first few pages is self-defeating. It's like pushing someone on a bicycle that refuses to pedal.

There is SO much more information given out by me and other ROB mainers in this thread... if you aren't interested at all in the information and your question is "how long does it take to charge the laser", you need to start pushing the pedals.

Informant

Smash Apprentice
California....just like every one else silly!
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
Hey Overswarm, I haven't seen it mentioned here, but has it been mentioned already that after holding the gyro, R.O.B. can still fsmash and do aerial attacks as the unsuspecting enemy will be expecting the gyro to be thrown?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Hey Overswarm, I haven't seen it mentioned here, but has it been mentioned already that after holding the gyro, R.O.B. can still fsmash and do aerial attacks as the unsuspecting enemy will be expecting the gyro to be thrown?
ROB can do aerials while holding the gyro. He cannot do ground attacks without a glide toss.

To do aerials while holding the gyro, hit Z (this will "drop" the gyro), then immediately do an aerial attack. There is no delay in this, and you pick up the gyro automatically.

Informant

Smash Apprentice
California....just like every one else silly!
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
No, I meant that R.O.B. can ONLY do fsmash (I can't do down or up smashes) with the yellow joystick (when the fsmash animation starts let the A button go or it will charge all the way, then immediately hold A again before the attack ends or you will have to do the Special attack method mentioned further) while holding the gyro if you kept the A button held down when you picked up the gyro or if you are holding the gyro alredy, use a special attack then immediately hold A while the special attack is being executed. You can do an aerial attack while holding the gyro if you just do Up B first, while the Up Booster is in effect still (You can tell by the little spikes sticking out from R.O.B.s base) you are able to freely do any aerials without worrying about tossing the gyro. Have you done this before?

Oh yea and also, I did this to a spamming link. He picked up on my trick because it worked so well on him, and he was also able to do this using his bombs, but my own trick didn't work on me and I won.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
yeah, you can't throw items during the up+b animation.

Didn't know about the holding "a" to keep the gyro thing... I'll have to see.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
To do aerials while holding the gyro, hit Z (this will "drop" the gyro), then immediately do an aerial attack. There is no delay in this, and you pick up the gyro automatically.
you can also upB while holding the gyro and do an aerial without having to let go of the gyro. you can upB again after/during the aerial to do another aerial while STILL holding the gyro, OR you can throw the gyro after the first aerial which is sweeeeeet....like if you're edgeguarding someone, you upB out there holding the gyro, fair, and then immediately throw the gyro at them, in the right situation it could gimp them, KO them, or just make it easier for you to **** them off the side.

this just hurts peoples feelings [though it's quite rare], upB while holding gyro, fair, throw gyro, laser, win :)

noodles

Smash Champion
overswarm what do you suppose about the PT match up? not really PT mainly ivysaur, i just lost a set 2-1 on gamebattles to one and ivysaur was by far the hardest next is squirtle.

toasty

Smash Hero
I don't get to play PT much, the only thing I can say about Ivysaur is a gimp I learned like...my first week of playing ROB. if you jump out at a recovering Ivysaur, they will maybe airdodge if necessary and then tether...either way, they're going to go below you because they don't want to risk trading hits, and then they'll tether. so you just jump out from high above WHILE HOLDING THE GYRO and then throw it back at the stage. it should hit the edge and go straight down [on most stages, maybe not Yoshi's or something] where it will hit the tethering Ivysaur, and you'll have more than enough time to upB to the ledge

noodles

Smash Champion
thats how i won the first match minus the gyro edge guarding, i lost 2nd one then on the third match i went snake. i didnt win but i was fighting squirtle he sent me off stage and switched to ivysaur that way when i killed him he would be charizard which didnt allow me to get the gimp. the main problem i had (no idea move name or button input) was ivysaur shooting seeds upwards. i DI'd out of it but it left be open and i had damaged racked up.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Just powershield Ivysaur's razor leaf, shield grab him, throw him off the stage. Hit him after he jumps, grab the edge, he dies.

noodles

Smash Champion
you make it sound easy as hell. power shielding in lag is hard but i never asked about the match up in lag so whatever. but wouldnt a good player know to save their save jump?

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
What about when the matchup's on Norfair? I don't think it's possible to gimp Ivy when they have 3 ledges to grab on each side all within close proximity to each other. Is there anyway to outplay Ivysaurs in general besides going for a gimp? Normally my matchups with ivy involve me eating ~40% 'cause I fail at DI-ing bullet seed, and randomly getting upsmashed.

But Squirtle gives me far bigger problems. The aerials, they're everywhere!

toasty

Smash Hero
hah now that I think about it, ever since people learned how to actually play the game, I have NEVER done the gyro edgeguard thing against Ivysaur...I never even think to anymore.

OS: I was playing against a Marth the other day and I wasn't in my element at all, so maybe I just wasn't thinking right...but do you have trouble returning to the stage from high up against Marth? do you even bother airdodging his aerials or do you just bair away from him and get to an open part of the stage or an edge [which is also rough to return from against Marth] ?

>_> did the best search I could and I'm pretty sure you haven't talked about this...

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Toasty:

I've played a few pretty good marths, and I had the same trouble as you. And, admittedly, I am still not incredibly adept at returning to the stage against competant Marth's, but- I will offer what advice I can. Of course, anyone feel free to correct me if my reasoning is flawed!

What I've noticed against an intelligent Marth, is that they don't really do anything to totally KO you as you are coming back- aside from the occasional spike. But, I've cancelled their spike below stage level, at around 130%, and still lived to fight on. So, if they fail a spike or two, they might be a bit hesitant to do that again, which is good- because it gives you one less thing to worry about- or in the very least moves the straight up spike down the list of possibilities.

As I said, they don't really try to go for the KO... just annoy the piss out of you until you use all of your fuel up.

If you are recovering from above, don't randomly throw out a laser or gyro. Be meticulous about it. If they come off the stage with a jump to hit you, try to catch them in the jump animation. Their options: Airdodge, and therefore give you a second or so to make up some ground. Get hit, which gives you some time. Aerial through the gyro, wich again can give you more time. Dun worry about a spike here, as anyone can probably cancel it and get to the edge. Infact, its almost to your benefit if they do. It will force you down extremely quickly *closer to the safety of the ledge* while they are stuck in their cool-down.

Recovering horizontally and from below is the worst, IMO. Horizontally is bad- because you will be susceptible to an F-air chain, as well as ledgehopped B-airs. Same goes from below for the most part. My advice, time a gyro or laser to surprise them if they hang on the ledge for too long and lose their invincibility frames. Otherwise, stall and cancel ur recovery with f-airs and N-airs, thereby throwing off their timing at edgeguarding you, and giving you a narrow opportunity to get back.

As far as recovering from below: watch for the spike, the ledgedrop to Up+B stage spike to ledgegrab, ledgedropped B-airs. Your options are limited here, about the best you can do is fire a diagnal up laser. And, if your directly below them- try a rising U-air.

Hope that helps some.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
What about when the matchup's on Norfair? I don't think it's possible to gimp Ivy when they have 3 ledges to grab on each side all within close proximity to each other. Is there anyway to outplay Ivysaurs in general besides going for a gimp? Normally my matchups with ivy involve me eating ~40% 'cause I fail at DI-ing bullet seed, and randomly getting upsmashed.

But Squirtle gives me far bigger problems. The aerials, they're everywhere!
Norfair is an amazing PT stage and a horrible ROB stage. Know that going in!

However, one thing about this stage makes it bad for the PT: ledges.

Yeah, that's an advantage for them... but it is more an advnatage for ROB. Shoot a few lasers, throw a few gyros, and camp on those ledges. Jump fron the lower to the upper, or drop and bair to the ones beneath you. Keep up your camping for about 2 minutes, and then the pokemon get tired and can't do anything to you anymore. THen you destroy them. It's a long win, but a for sure win.

If you don't want to bother with that, get Ivysaur in the air and approach from below or behind, just like Ivysaur was ROB. It's dair is really slow, and it's bair is weak.

For squirtle, I highly suggest camping for 2 minutes. Squirtle becomes sucky when he's tired, and then they have to switch back to Ivysaur, who is easy. What's better, is that if they switch again, they go to Charizard. They switch again for Squirtle and... ta da! Squirtle is near tired already because fo the constant switching.

OS: I was playing against a Marth the other day and I wasn't in my element at all, so maybe I just wasn't thinking right...but do you have trouble returning to the stage from high up against Marth? do you even bother airdodging his aerials or do you just bair away from him and get to an open part of the stage or an edge [which is also rough to return from against Marth] ?
I generally attempt to throw a gyro on the stage and then land on the other side of it. This makes Marth move just enough to where you can get back safely.

Marth is hard to recover from, but just remember that your fair has range too! Throw it out sometimes and you can hit him away.

I'd also very much say "bair". Use the bair to create distance, and the moment he jumps, turn around and bair the other way and start falling. When he jumps, air dodge and OUT of that air dodge immediately fair or u-air, depending on where Marth is, then you can reach the ground.

The trick is to make Marth over commit to something so that he doesn't have the time to throw out two aerials. You can deal with one!

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
Another question:

On the numerous times you play on Luigi's Mansion, how come I never see you put anyone in a jab lock? You definitely have enough opportunities and I'm just wondering if it's just proper tourney ettiquette to not "gay" someone, but it's pretty much a guaranteed 30/40% if they miss a tech, which seems pretty significant to me when money's on the line.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wIP7QY0anuw <--Jab Lock Video

If you don't know what a jab lock is, just walk forward and dtilt after someone misses a tech and is just laying on the floor (cannot be someone who tripped), works off all diminishing returns and generally pisses them off. After some practice I can reliably get someone from one pillar to another in luigi's mansion, but I still eff up sometimes and do a dash attack =\

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Never really tried it, honestly. I've been meaning to, but I just never have had the initiative. It doesn't seem particularly effective (an f-tilt to a grab on a fallen opponent does as much damage if not more), but it does piss people off so I'll probably do it once or twice for the hell of it.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This is when htey are using their up+b, for those who haven't figured it out yet....

So that means my lil bro was holding up when he was spiked like that. ;)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
yo, should I secondary Rob? He's good against Olimar's weaknesses except kirby and MK. Are they small disadvantages though?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
OS, in that video, is there any particular reason you were always angling the forward smash downwards like that?

Sliq

Smash Master
OS, in that video, is there any particular reason you were always angling the forward smash downwards like that?
Just like in real life, he wanted to see if his head would reach his ****.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
There's never a time when a grounded opponent can't be hit by the forward smash when it is angled downwards as long as it is in range. This is not true for the non-angled f-smash or the up-angled f-smash, so I got into the habit of always angling it downwards save for when my opponent is in the air. They all have the same knockback and all have the same range horizontally... just some hit higher and lower.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Well that is quite nifty. Just to recap, the horizontal range of the angled down fsmash is the same as the standard fsmash? Since that is the case, I guess I don't have to get that old Melee habbit of always holding down when smashing (oddly it's a habbit i didn't realize I created in melee for crouch canceling while smashing, pretty funny what we do sometimes out of pure instinct) as it only helps me when using ROB's fsmash.
Just like in real life, he wanted to see if his head would reach his ****.
Sliq, mangz, it's good to see you yo. I saw your MURDER stuff for Ganon, badass naming scheme. Props.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Well that is quite nifty. Just to recap, the horizontal range of the angled down fsmash is the same as the standard fsmash? Since that is the case, I guess I don't have to get that old Melee habbit of always holding down when smashing (oddly it's a habbit i didn't realize I created in melee for crouch canceling while smashing, pretty funny what we do sometimes out of pure instinct) as it only helps me when using ROB's fsmash.
It's also dangerous because your DI will be off.

However, holding down allows you to tech the floor when hit with a powerful attack... this is one of the biggest risk/rewards in the game, and is a secret that few know. I won't explain to you exactly how to use it because I don't fully understand it yet, and really don't want someone to beat me to it... but if you do, all the better.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HuyNCyuhVdg&feature=related

1:32

Top Bottom