• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Community Guide

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Ok, I'm loading up brawl with debug mode now. I'll post my results here.

edit: Stopped editing at get-up attacks so you guys can see the info I'm getting so far. Not done yet.

edit2: Turns out we didn't have data on ROB's sourspot Ftilt. It does 5%.

edit3: WAT! Pivot grab grabs 1 frame slow, but ends 6 frame slower than standing grab and 4 frame shorter than running grab.

edit4: Taking a break for food.

edit5: Frame data done, what do you think?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Bumping because I'm adding a real treat in a few minutes (like an hour)

I added three gifs under advanced techniques. I'll add more at a later date because it's 2:30 AM now. Make sure you don't stop submitting ideas and other stuff for the guide. It is a COMMUNITY guide after all.

Shress

Smash Rookie
I think you left out the fact that you can renew your second jump without using the ground. (Not sure, I only skimmed through the guide, sorry.)

It's the Roboburner > aerial > second jump. Like I asked you before in the Q&A thread, I guess you can do it with tap jump on because you're just so pro. =O

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
you can't renew it. After you use it you must hit the ground. However if you don't use it and you go from roboburner > Aerial, you CAN use your second jump after that. As far as we know now, ROB has no second jump renewal.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Thanks! And since this is a community guide, it will never get outdated either, it will get revised and new additions added as needed.

TheMike

Smash Lord
There's a newest Direcory. :]

Well, for tips...

EDGEGUARDING

Against some characters, edgeguarding is essential. Gimps are also part of the Edgeguard game and it's where ROB may win the match. He can gimp the characters below:

- Bowser
- Captain Falcon
- Donkey Kong
- Ganondorf
- Ike
- Link
- Mario
- Marth
- Olimar
- Ivysaur
- Wolf

There're some other characters that suffer with this, such as Diddy, Falco, Lucario, Lucas and some others. But ROB needs more edgeguard on them after Fair > Fair > Fair > .... I'll list what ROB can do:

- Diddy: Bair his Side B and don't let him to use a charged Up B hitting him with Fairs.

- Falco: We don't really need to do much on his Up B, just continue using Fairs until he can't get back to the stage. And the same as Diddy's Side B and his'.

- Lucario: He need to use his Up B to stick under the stage and that's the time that you'll try a Stage Spike.

- Lucas: When he tries to Up B, throw a Gyro or shoot a laser.

There're some that it's impossible to go off-stage, and those are most of ROB's worst Match-ups because going off-stage in too essential for him. Don't go off-stage against(they're better than you there):

- G&W
- Jiggly
- DDD
- Kirby
- MK

NEVER!

Tin Man

Smash Hero
U can try to go offstage against D3 cause his air speed and fall wait is terrible, therefore, Fairs can help somewhat, its the best way to get good damage, and possibly an early kill.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I go offstage against Jiggs as well. Jiggs can't do diddly to kill me if I go offstage unless I go on the opposite side.

TheMike

Smash Lord
U can try to go offstage against D3 cause his air speed and fall wait is terrible, therefore, Fairs can help somewhat, its the best way to get good damage, and possibly an early kill.
DDD off-stage against ROB > ROB off-stage against DDD

About Jiggly.. well, it isn't a bad Match-up. Therefore i edited my post saying that most of those characters are bad MUs. And we can't rack up much damage off-stage vs Jiggly. So, i prefer campiering ^.-

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
That inequality is situational. DDD > ROB offstage when DDD is edgeguarding ROB. ROB > DDD offstage when ROB is edgeguarding DDD.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I said that analyzing the MU in general, not in specific situations. In short, i wanted to say that DDD has more advantage than ROB when he goes off-stage. And he has :(

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I agree with you Mike, just pointing out (and GW got it) that when rob is edgeguarding, he has a chance at an early kill, what makes rob goog is gimpimg, he has to use it whenever possible. thats all

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff is a bad matchup for R.O.B.?

News to me.
Once she starts with the WOP a sweetspotted fair could be curtains for the bot, and our massive hitbox makes this tough to avoid. The Jiggs matchup is a giant battle for air control, she will SH and dance in and out of our range poking at us with her little feet, making it not necessarily a 'bad' matchup... but.. different.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
It's like fighting Wario except without a ground kill move, a once-a-minute bomb, and survivability.

Peppers

Smash Apprentice
What about putting a section on doubles? ROB is very useful at doubles so wouldn't a doubles "partner" strategy be good? For example: How to play ROB with Olimar in doubles. etc etc for each effective doubles character.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
dont camp a lot, ur teammate will eat it as well. The laser is great for combo kills, and for saving ur team mate. Use the gyro coutiously, u will still need it, space well, be a bit more agressive, and make sure ur back is to ur team mate when u decide to camp. U can't ignore his moveset, so u just have to know when to use it. When u grab the opponent and grab release them into ur team mate, let ur team mate do the smash attack, ROB's Usmash wont hit them, D smash isnt good, so Fsmash is all he really has out of the grab release trap, but there are better options, ur teammate will probably have a better option anyways. Don't do double rob :laugh:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
My partner is usually bad that I partner with (friendship johns), so it's always me vs. the two other guys. I actually pull the win off 50% of the time and I enjoy it so much.

Bandit

Smash Lord
People need to learn to aim projectiles around their team mate. I did and they're even better than they were in 1v1s.
Not if you have a Zelda friend :)

Something about having a Dinslinger behind you is comforting.

-----

When I haven't used Zelda and I have teamed with JCaesar, he keeps the lasers high and uses the gyro as his main projectile.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
People learn to aim themselves at their teammates when they're hit so they don't die until like never.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
partner with a character that has a reflector, then use em epic physics mind games, think or creative angles to fire the gyro, and fully charged laser, and make ur opponents **** themselves

=]

Tin Man

Smash Hero
on battle feild, i aim a non charged gyro by shorthoping while facing the center, while standing near one of the edges. I short hop, the fire it, it stays on the platform, screws up characters like marth and wario, now I then concentrate on a ground game under the gyro, knowing they cant hop over me, and be gay :p

stingers

Smash Obsessed
lol I hit a meta waiting to up b me with a full charge gyro by bouncing it on the wall and killed him...it was so ****ing sexy

Top Bottom