• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Community Guide

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Please, if you know anything about ROB that isn't noted in the OP already, techniques, tips, move data, matchups, stages, anything, please post it.

Alright RaZer, added your post. That was a very very very nice bit of info to add. I'm thinking we should also add the characters that we should take there and who we should avoid there. I'm also going to split your quote up by stage so that I can add my own and others can add their own too. Thanks!

Sounds fine. I'll edit mine as I go with chars to take there... well, chars *I* normally take there and have success with... and a few "obvious" choices and bans and such. Again, feel free to snip out stuff that's completely backwards.

Additionally, I'll reply with: "Bumped for..." if I edit something in the stage section.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Finished the stage + & -

Still need to add chars... someone else do that, lol & GW can just copypasta them into the quotebox

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
I would rly, rly like to get my hands on some *COMPLETE* frame data

like...

"Total Frames"
"Start-up Frames"
"Hits on Frame"
"Hitbox duration"
"cooldown frames"

It would make me bewwy bewwy happy, as it would compliment the synopses (and this guide) incredibly well.

Sudai

Stuff here
Mmmm, this is turning out nicely. Keep it up guys. ^_^

If you find anything I said that you want to quote in the OP, feel free. I doubt that you have/had/will find anything of mine to quote, but I figured I'd let y'all know in advance just in case. XD

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Please, if you know anything about ROB that isn't noted in the OP already, techniques, tips, move data, matchups, stages, anything, please post it.
Here's something. Add smash boosting. People hardly ever smash boost with R.O.B. in the videos I see here.

Another one: While we are falling to stage with a gyro in hand, throw it down and it'll bounce once, and when we're still falling, Z-pick it up before hitting the ground. It's faster than falling all the way to the floor and picking it up there. A good mindgame before glide tossing to a smash.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Here's something. Add smash boosting. People hardly ever smash boost with R.O.B. in the videos I see here.

Another one: While we are falling to stage with a gyro in hand, throw it down and it'll bounce once, and when we're still falling, Z-pick it up before hitting the ground. It's faster than falling all the way to the floor and picking it up there. A good mindgame before glide tossing to a smash.
I considered making a Boost Smash section, but ROB's boost smash goes as far as his regular hyphen smash so I'm not sure if I should even bother. What do you guys think?

As for the gyro tricksy, I'll add that after I get home from mini-golfing in a few minutes.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
ROB's "boost smash" doesn't do anything. I propose you guys just ignore Commander_Troll entirely from now on, you should have noticed by now he never actually says anything useful.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Regardless, I added it. It's still an AT that the community should at least know about. I did mention however that it is basically useless.

Sudai

Stuff here
Leave it since it's there. I'm sure some day some time someone's gonna go "HEY! I wonder if ROB's DACUS is good?! Lemme check the guide!! *ctrl+f* ****..it's not. Okay."

Better than the same person asking in the Q&A thread. Though...$20 says some one ask some time in the future anyway. :p

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Long enough to get a new Mag!c or Muro in here.

:091:

edit: **** it, it'll probably happen tomorrow.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
How about you charge nothing, still write about something, and get the satisfaction that you helped the community as a whole as your payment?

HURRRRRR

Is ROB's DACUS useful?

jk

Lol Stongers, I help out for FREE!!!! Sooooooo, I'm going to google Debug soes I can start on the frames and crap.

Muro

Smash Lord
Long enough to get a new Mag!c or Muro in here.

:091:

edit: **** it, it'll probably happen tomorrow.
hah, as far as Muros go i'm the only one :p

regarding the layout of the guide, i think it would be better if you took out all the quotes, post it as regular text, and then if you want put some credits/ special thanks or whatever, and get some pics :p, i think it will be easier to read. we're missing an Edge Guarding section, (obviously i wont do it cuz im such a noob lol, wouldnt be reliable to say the least) it plays a really important part in robs game cuz of the lack of a good, reliable killer. Another thing, in the guide you talk about gyro canceling yet you dont explain how its done... other than that this guide is looking good.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Pics are coming soon.

speaking of which, if anyone wants to diagram a technique, how a move works, anything, go right ahead.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Added a pic for Boost Smashing to show the difference in distance.
I think I'll do the laser next.

Mag!c

Smash Apprentice
Throws-

F Throw
ROB's F-Throw does not look like anything special, but there lies it's beauty. It is good for supplanting the opponent's "rhythm" with your own, that is- it is good for taking back the initiative from your opponent. The animation for the throw is almost nonexistent, sending them flying with a quick 10%. From here you can follow up with a laser and your camping game, or push forward to try and press the initiative. The last option is particularly relevant when the F-Throw puts them off the ledge, presenting the opportunity for a gimp. Overall it is a solid tool that you can use to mix up your throwing game.

B Throw
ROB's B-Throw is extremely similar to his F-Throw, that is- ROB will turn around and perform the same almost nonexistent animation to throw them. The difference is that ROB's B-Throw kills a bit earlier, making it useful if kept fresh on stages with closer edges. As said with F-Throw, B-Throw is useful for quickly taking the initiative back, or giving yourself some breathing room and a little time to think. It's quickness and relatively high strength in killing as far as throws go make it a useful tool.

I'll have to look more into U-Throw and D-Throw, unless someone else wants to do those, since I'm not 100% familiar with the followups and I wouldn't want to be misleading.

Mag!c

Smash Apprentice
I felt our D-Tilt and D-Smash writeups were a little strange, with the urge to call them "godly" so I made a more realistic rewrite.

D-Tilt
ROB's D-Tilt comes out very quickly, and serves as a sort of poke at the legs. The animation is that ROB will sort of look at the opponents feet and thrust both arms quickly at the opponent's kneecaps. This move is a good choice for many reasons- for one it's very fast. The low damage is offset by the speed at which it comes out, often letting you land a second D-Tilt if the second trait does not come into play. This second trait is that it often trips the opponent. I cannot stress enough that you must not mindlessly spam D-Tilt. This is because if you do and the opponent trips, you will sometimes waste the golden opportunity to land a more powerful attack by just D-Tilting them again. There are several followups to a D-Tilt, such as F-Tilt to get some distance, and D-Smash to rack up some damage and throw them in the air. A good tool to poke at your opponent and create opportunities, but one that must be used carefully.

D-Smash
ROB lowers his arms and spins rapidly with them outstretched for multiple hits and to send his opponent in the air. This move is quick, and often will be stale as hell before the match is over. It deals excellent damage, comes out extremely quickly, and is a useful weapon all around. If your opponent is of a certain quality, they will SDI upwards out of it, so the move is not infallible. Another negative is that it is rather punishable if the opponent correctly shields it, so don't spam the D-Smash as a safety net. Rather, use it as an excellent punish, followup from a Spot-Dodge, and to surprise your opponent at close range.

Mag!c

Smash Apprentice
A typo on my summary of N-Air is "point" instead of "points". Could that please be fixed? Also, triple posting to give a quick summary on Advantages/Disadvantages. I probably could have edited my first post, but I am kind of lazy.

Advantages:
-One of the, if not the best, recoveries in the game.
-Strong range and good projectiles make ROB an excellent camper.
-Excellent offstage game that produces gimp opportunities due to an extremely flexible recovery.
-Very good poke game with strong priority that make ROB good at brickwalling.
-Individual moves have many useful or flexible applications, such as:
F-Air being a kill move when fresh, but a combo move when stale, as well as ROB's momentum cancel.
B-Air giving extra distance in recovery, while also forming a wall and auto-spacing.
Gyro (Down-B) serving as both a feint (Gyro Cancel), as a turn-around similar to the Shine or Cape (Reverse Gyro), and a mobility tool (Glide Toss).
-Excellent glide toss makes for increased mobility and varied followups.
-Good survivability, fairly heavy.
-Overall a well-balanced character that appeals to people who enjoy a safety, stability, slaying fleshy meatbags, and butthole.

Disadvantages:
-Difficulty killing. ROB's N-Air and/or B-Air must be actively conserved to land crucial kills if his offstage game fails to produce gimps. This is a problem, due to N-Air's useful properties as a punish and all around useful aerial, and the B-Airs application as a brickwall and auto-spacer. U-Throw does not kill until the opponent is very high in percents.
-Awkward blind spots. Refer to other sections of the guide on where they are, and potential ways to deal with them.
-Strange Footstool animation leads to some characters having an infinite on ROB. Some of these characters are relatively laughable (Captain Falcon) while others can be quite dangerous (Zero Suit samus). I couldn't resist.
-Somewhat large body leaves ROB vulnerable to characters who can string together multiple hits well, such as Metaknight.
-Projectiles can be powershielded and are not "infinite" like Falco's laser, reducing ROB's effectiveness at camping against some people. Not to say it is completely ineffective, just that you cannot expect to sit on the edge of Final Destination and chuck projectiles all day.
-Some characters may not like butthole, reducing your friendship and available amount of conversation with other character mains.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
D-Smash
ROB lowers his arms and spins rapidly with them outstretched for multiple hits and to send his opponent in the air. This move is quick, and often will be stale as hell before the match is over. It deals excellent damage, comes out extremely quickly, and is a useful weapon all around. If your opponent is of a certain quality, they will SDI upwards out of it, so the move is not infallible. Another negative is that it is rather punishable if the opponent correctly shields it, so don't spam the D-Smash as a safety net. Rather, use it as an excellent punish, followup from a Spot-Dodge, and to surprise your opponent at close range.
One thing that I rarely see anyone mention about the D-smash is that its just as good OoS as it is out of a spot-dodge, essentially. If you get an opponent conditioned to expect it after a spot-dodge, just drop the shield at the end of their attack (if they attacked, if they didn't... drop it whenever). They'll be expecting the spot-dodge, a defensive maneuver and get hit. Its not gamebreaking, but- its just another little tidbit to maximize the usefulness of your D-smash chicanery, as well as add another option to your OoS game- another thing for them to worry about.

Mag!c

Smash Apprentice
Oh, yeah, forgot to add that bit. I started realizing that just a week or two weeks ago, so I guess I'm behind, but it works really well. I'd rather you get the credit for that bit, because I'm starting to feel awkward with my name written under a bunch of writeups.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
In addition, I'd really like to see a section on ROB's "ledge game". Since he has a less than spectacular "getting up from the edge" game, and sometimes you just can't go 'over the top' of people to land safely, a breakdown of common tactics and the best time to implement them would be great to see in a comprehensive guide.

Mag!c

Smash Apprentice
I'll start writing it, but it feels more like a collaboration project. Some things are great to have multiple angles to look at it on (attacks, etc,) but some things we should really just have one comprehensive look at (ledge game, other big things).

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
When i say "I'd like to see" that's more or less a cue for something that should, imo, be put in there. Whoever *wants* to write it can, or whoever wants to contribute bits and pieces can.

Also, GW... update the OP with the completed stage +/-

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Oh, you updated? Ok then, coming right up.

edit: Ok, I added the stages. I'll add everyone else's stuff later. I have to make pancakes then wash my mom's car for her.

Top Bottom