• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Community Guide

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
Just a few random things to note:

Dtilt lock > 3 times in succession. Take a step forward after each dtilt, time it right you can go ALL the way across the screen into a fsmash to get them off the stage. Since Luigi's mansion is banned here, the most frequent time I see this is: usmash hits their shield while they're on a platform, they fall, don't manage to right themselves/tech, and you get a dtilt lock, which refreshes all your moves (except dtilt), racks up percentage, and gets them off the stage for edgeguarding. Definitely worth learning the timing for dtilt lock.

And dtilt infinite against walls sometimes doesn't seem to work. I tried it against a Marth and he up-b'd after like the third one, is there a timing for this or do I fail at pressing A? And it didn't work at all against toon link on Rainbow Cruise, could someone test it and tell me I suck at dtilting or if it just doesn't work against lighter characters? Please consider the effects of SDI and moves with invinicibility frames.

Ftilt outranges Marth fsmash and the first hit of snake ftilt, but extends your hurtbox so if you whiff it you can be punished.

ROB's pivot grab is a bit slower, but has more range, that is key.

Also, I'm not sure on this, but this is quite important. On the pummeling section, ROB has a decent speed pummel (not like Lucario or Wolf, but it's not awful), which means at least one pummel per grab. I've been working at 25% per pummel, but I would like some people to do testing to see roughly how many pummels you can get in before they break. Like at 50%, 3 pummels, or just some statistics/numbers on that. Each pummel adds up, and also unstales moves very very quickly. Think about it: 3 pummels, a throw, a laser followup is already 5 moves, throw some ftilt/gyro and your nair is back to killing potential THAT more faster.

Fair = MAD disjointed. It beats Meta Knight's GLIDE ATTACK. Hit box for this attack is quite large, and stays out for a fair bit, frame data on this move would be awesome.

I'm fairly certain I've done 11% with nair before, but that's just being pedantic and not really important.

I don't know where you got the frame data, but if you could get information on startup/cool-down time that'd be great, too. I'm really interested in fsmash's cool down in particular as it always catches me offguard how fast it can be spammed.

I think that's all I got from skimming it, please let me know if you disagree on anything. I'm not feeling particularly eloquent at the moment (too tired johns) so if there was anything you didn't understand about my post feel free to ask and I'll be glad to clarify. Thanks.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Added DTilt lock section and a few things from Wolydarg's post.

Also, could you add a description based on how you pummel? That's actually very interesting and would love to add that in.

Mag!c

Smash Apprentice
Grab Pummel
Once ROB has grabbed someone he can pummel them before throwing them. This is done by hitting A during the grab, resulting in a little tightening of ROB's arms to strangle the life out of the unfortunate meatbag in his grasp. The grab pummel is useful for two things- the first is that it will add on a bit of damage. For someone who carefully manages percents, this is important, as you can tack on 2%-6% on per throw. This may not seem like a lot, but every little bit counts. The second is that grab pummels will count towards stale move negation. Thus, every grab pummel that you perform will refresh your crucial moves such as N-Air, B-Air, and D-Smash. It is a safe rule to say you can tack on the first pummel at 20-30%, and then add another for every 40-50%. Any more and you risk them breaking out of the grab, removing that crucial 10%+ from the actual throw itself.

(I don't have the damage, frame data, etc, can someone get that for me?)

TheMike

Smash Lord
the damage in the first page is the correct one, 2% and in don't know anything about its frame data =[

just adding a little information...

... You can use Ftilt as a follow up after ROB's grab release and if you had used the pummel before, it will make an 8% combo(againt Luig it doesn't work). Also, the pummel can be used to help killing some characters that ROB can use Grab Release > Usmash, like MK and Wario. Obviously, using te pummel, you have more chances to take your opponent to the correct % to kill.

about the stage information, i am sure that the information is true as i use those counterpicks against experienced players. Also, i invite you guys to visit the brazilian boards, www.1upsmash.zip.net, created by Kizzu and you can see the last tournamente result at the right of the page. Kodama was the champioship and i got 3rd using those counterpicks

and i will correct some mistakes in my post about the stages =]]

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Can someone confirm that: Grab Release (not sure which kind, just tell me if any of them are) > FTilt is a true combo? Pretty sure it isn't.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
^ Yeah, that's what I've thought. I've tried it before, always gets powershielded. ****, ROB needs some footstool shenanigans.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'll do that when I get back from camp in a week. How do I get this debug mode everyone uses in Researchers?

TheMike

Smash Lord
Can someone confirm that: Grab Release (not sure which kind, just tell me if any of them are) > FTilt is a true combo? Pretty sure it isn't.
actully in characters like ness and lucas, that have a long animation, the grab release > ftilt is a true combo

not sure about the other characters, but i could check it out!

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Those are, in fact, the only characters that works on. ROB doesn't have anything useful out of a grab release against anyone else. The only time intentionally not-throwing the opponent is a good idea is if you have them at the end of the stage (facing outward) and grab releasing would drop them below the ledge off-stage. ROB can USmash some characters out of an air release too but that is rarely a factor since ROB doesn't force an air release by default.

So yeah who's whining... What do you fine gentlemen robots need my assistance with? Let's see what I can do to help? :/ Anyway, I decided I'd go and read through the thing finally. Maybe it's just a pet peeve of mine but lay off the whole "omg this move is godly" stuff. "Lazer" is spelled with an S. :(

I don't think the DTilt "lock" against walls is a true lock. Non-random trips don't seem to put people in the same helpless, "jab lockable" state that faceplanting on the ground does, else successive DTilts wouldn't un-trip someone and ruin a potential grab opportunity. It's just annoying for most characters to escape.

FAir doesn't beat a glide attack. Glide attacks clank with virtually everything, including aerials (which normally can't clank). It does illustrate the best way to avoid getting hit by a glide attack, however... Actually, the best way is to get out of the way, or punish from beneath. ;/ But what I meant was that, if you can't move away, just throw out an attack. Get a hitbox out there to clank with the glide attack.

Meteor Mash
What is this, pokemon? :081:

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Those are, in fact, the only characters that works on. ROB doesn't have anything useful out of a grab release against anyone else. The only time intentionally not-throwing the opponent is a good idea is if you have them at the end of the stage (facing outward) and grab releasing would drop them below the ledge off-stage.
Sometimes I just pummel instead of throw when there's a gyro right behind them. Grab>pummel>release into gyro>regrab>pummel>dthrow with extra gyro-racking damage is WIN

"Lazer" is spelled with an S.
Agreed. The only time a z should be incorporated into "laser" is when you're referring to the MANzer. A MANzer is the fully charged, much more manly laser. Man-laser...MANzer. Z is for pronounciation and manliness. "MANzer" should be shouted out after a MANzer snipes the opponent offstage for the kill.

The rest of the stuff E said I agree with too =)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I've just always spelt it with a "z". Not sure why, but if it bugs you, I'll change it.

Later that is.

His recovery is among the best in the game, can be used to make a WoP.
He has a reflector, albeit slow, but a reflector nonetheless that can also be used to aid his recovery.
His Gyro can be used to GT and can be dribbled.
His lazer is good at any level. Even the weakest level is good at close range for the knockback and flame damage.
His Bair can aid his recovery, and can be used to stop momentum.
Fair can be used as a kill move when fresh, and be comboed into itself when not.
Uair is beast with its damage-racking capabilities.
Dair is a reasonable Meteor Smash.

Sum up of ROB's advantages.

Don't worry bro, I'll get to that tommorow, and I'll do a list of possible remedies for said disadvantages. The Mother won't let me use the comp nao. On DSi Net, and it SUCKS.>.<

Ok, here goes......

SPECIALS

NEUTRAL-B: ROBO BEAM
Quick Summary- ROB's standard special. ROB shoots a laser out through his eyes.
Properties
*Cannot be spammed
*Has three power stages
*Can be angled up or down
*Every level, except the weakest one, pierces through opponents
*Every level, except the weakest one, can bounce off obstructions, but will weaken as they do so
*The MANzer (the strongest laser level) can cover the whole horizontal distance of any stage, extending into the Blast Line areas, and is a viable kill move
*Each one of the levels has the ability to deal flame damage and knockback if the opponent comes in contact with the hitbox surrounding ROB's head. On the higher two levels, this will usually lead to the opponent being knocked into the actuall laser for MOAR damage and knockback

Power Levels of the Robo Beam

MANzer: Robo Beam after being charged for 20 seconds. This is a viable kill move for ROB when his other options aren't fresh.
RANGE: All of the lateral distance of a stage, extending into the Blast Line areas.
ADVANTAGES: Good kill move when others aren't fresh, beast range.
DISADVANTAGES: None really, at this level, except for the fact that it can be easily spotdodged.
REMEDIES: All I can say is to quickly follow up with a Gyro Shot.
DAMAGE: With flame: 16% Without flame: 9%.
KNOCKBACK*: One third of Final Destination

Class Two: Robo Beam after being charged for 3-19 seconds. It is a thin beam at this stage. O.K. for breaking up approaches. Good for setting up a Gyro Shot.
RANGE: All of Final Destination, no more, no less.
ADVANTAGES: Comes out fairly quick, good for disrupting approaches.
DISADVANTAGES: Weak, low knockback, not a kill move, can be easily spotdodged.
REMEDIES: Same as above.
DAMAGE: With flame: 12%. Without flame: 5%.
KNOCKBACK: About one fifth of Final Destination.

Candle Beam: I call this the Candle Beam because the hitbox deals falme damage, and reminds me of the flame of a candle. Anyways, this is the Robo Beam if used directly after another laser shot or if charged for less than three seconds. This level is actually present in all the stages; it's that fuzzy, orb-y area of the laser in front of ROB's head.
RANGE: One character space.
ADVANTAGES: Surprising damage and knockback. Excellent option if the opponent is All Up In Yo Face. A very situational kill move.
DISADVANTAGES: Extremely short range, very hard to hit with.
DAMAGE: 7%.
KNOCKBACK: One fourth of Final Destination.

Overall Disadvantages of Robo Beam
The Robo Beam is a great move, but it has some flaws. It can be spotdodged to easily, only one of its levels is a viable kill move, and the other ones are only useful for disruting approaches. The best advice I can give for this is to follow up with a Gyro Shot. It doesn't even have to be fully charged. As long as it hits the opponent, it's good.

*NOTE: Knockback was tested on a normal weight character at 0%.

Moar to come later today.
So, please critique. This is my first time doing this kind of analysis and testing.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul

I'll read through and edit this post with thoughts, but I'm sure most of this will go in the guide.

Do you think that when I add, it should be in seperate posts, or should I just edit my above post?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I don't really care at all. I'd prefer separate posts so that I know when something new was added.

Ok, seperate posts it is. Next up is the Gyro. Oh, and, can I write up outlines of aerials, ATs, miscallaneous?
I saw there was already that stuff in the OP, but I want to contribute.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Absolutely. I'll add 5 different summaries of a section if I need to, as long as they're accurate and contain useful info.

NOTE TO ALL ROB BOARD REGULARS: STOP BEING LAZY ***** AND GET IN HERE AND HELP! YOU'RE ONLY HURTING THE FUTURE OF ROB BY BEING LAZY!

And I added the vast majority of your post, I just reworded a few things.

Again, here goes.....

GYRO

Quick Summary-ROB's down special. ROB pulls out a Gyro stand and a Gyro, and begins to charge it. Can be shot, then picked up and thrown as an item. Easily the most crucial move to ROB's gameplay.
Properties
*Can be charged then shot
*After being shot, it can be picked up and used as an item
*Crucial to ROB's gameplay, as it is needed to glidetoss, Gyro Cancel, and JCIT
*After it hits the ground, it continues spinning and will deal damage to anyone (save ROB, of course) that touches it.
*Takes two seconds to become fully charged
RANGE:
-Uncharged on ground: About half of Final Destination
---------Short Hopped Uncharged: About three fourths of Final Destination
---------Full Jumped* Uncharged: All of Final Destination
-Fully Charged on ground: About three fourths of Final Destination
---------Short Hopped Fully Charged: About seven sixths of Final Destination
---------Full Jumped Fully Charged: About three halves of Final Destination
-Grounded Normal Throw: About three fourths of Final Destination
---------Short Hopped Normal: Aaaaalllllmmmmooooossssst all of Final Destination
---------Full Jumped Normal: All of Final Destination, then about two character spaces
-Grounded Smash Throw: Aaaaalllllmmmmooooossssst all of Final Destination
---------Short Hopped Smash: All of Final Destination
---------Full Jumped Smash: Just enough to hit a ledge grabbing opponent on the opposite end of Final Destination
ADVANTAGES: It's a projectile, obviously. Has amazing range, is freakin' versatile, can be picked up and thrown, still deals damage even after it has hit the ground, eats up projectiles, or at least slows them.
DISADVANTAGES: Can be picked up by opponent, instantly dissapears if shielded, instantly disappears after it has hit the ground and stopped bouncing.
REMEDIES: Try to pick it up as soon as you shoot it. If the opponent gets it, be ready to shield, air dodge, or use the ROFLcopter.
DAMAGE:
-Uncharged Shot: 7%
-Fully Charged Shot: 18%
-Normal Throw: 8%
-Smash Throw: 10%
-Spinning: 2%
KNOCKBACK**:
-Uncharged Shot: About four character spaces
-Fully Charged Shot: About one fourth of Final Destination
-Normal Throw: About four character spaces
-Smash Throw: About one fourth of Final Destination

*NOTE: Full jump was tested by doing one full jump, not a double jump.
**NOTE: All knockback was tested on a normal weight character at 0%.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
In the glide toss section, maybe you'd want to add glidehugging (that lil trick I came up with a few months ago). Its not super useful, but its a good way to grab a ledge and setting the gyro down in front of you. if they gyro is fresh, it'll stay out a smidge past your ledge invincibility, protecting you a bit.

"Official Description"

As we know, a ledge cancels the gliding animation during the glide toss. Being near the edge, you can buffer a dash & quick ledgegrab out of the glide toss' glide (only works with your back to the ledge, gliding backward). The result is dropping the gyro onto the stage, sliding a bit away from it, and directly into a ledgegrab.

If you are getting pressured toward the edge, but don't want to risk just turning tail and snagging the ledge, its an option to give you some room. Works well against chars you want to be on/near the ledge against (DDD, Falco on FD, etc).

/officialdescrip

On the subject of glide-tossing, there is a boat-load of stuff to do/follow up out of it. For a "uniform" approach, and as a way of not typing so darn much, I'll use this format.

ROB= : The direction ROB slides in.
G=: The direction the gyro is thrown.
ROB= (x,y): Where x is the direction ROB is facing before the slide, y being the direction of the slide. f=forward (direction he was facing). B=backward, (opposite direction he was facing).
G(a)= Direction gyro is thrown. f= forward, b= backward, u=up, d=down

ROB(f,f)G(f)->
Typically used as an offensive maneuver, as an approach or to end a string of moves. Notice the ----- line, as anything below this would be considered "advanced", or at least substantially more difficult.
Dash Attack (can be strung into an F-smash at lower percents)
F-smash (good low% combo and possible KO option)
U-smash (against heavies at lower percents, or if they SH over the throw)
D-smash (good to take advantage of whittled away shields, especially at lower percents, as you can "combo" out of it.)
Jab
D-tilt (can cause a trip)
F-tilt (can chain into a dash attack which can chain into an F-smash (may need to forward stutter step it)
Grab (good if they shield the gyro)
F-air
U-air (good if they jumped over the gyro, or are in the air and you want to get under them really fast)
Laser (good if the opponent is hit with the gyro, and you can't follow up with anything else. Can lead to KO's at high percents due to a similar "b-throw to full laser" effect)
---------
RAR'd B-air
Up+B (good if they are sent off-stage and you want to move directly into an aggressive edgeguard)
Pivot Up+B (good of they are sent off-stage and you want to move directly into an aggressive KO attempt with B-air)
Pivot Grab (if they rolled through the gyro hit or shielded the entire thing, very much dependent on the position of the chars. Works best when the GT is initiated *close* to the opponent, and the glide puts you behind them)
Pivot F-Smash (again, good if your GT has put you behind them; simply dash->pivot->(optional backwards StuterStep) F-smash)

ROB(f,b)G(f)->
Typically, used as a retreat
Laser (a good, solid retreat)

ROB(b,b)G(f)->
D-smash (if they are behind you before you GT)
F-air (if the glide sent you past them)
F-smash (if glide sent you past them)
U-Smash (if you predict *perfectly) where they will land, if they are in the air when you GT)
SH N-air (if they are far enough behind you where you can SH and N-air, which isn't as hard as it sounds, since the N-air 'starts' behind you.)
SH B-air
SH U-Air
Up+B-> (if you have passed them)
---------
Pivot up+B (if you have not passed them)
SH Reversed Laser (if you have not passed them)
Wavebounced Laser (if you have not passed them)

ROB(f,f)G(d)->
D-smash (works if you are near the opponent before the glide if you want to hit with gyro AND D-smash, doesn't matter where if you want to hit with just the D-smash)
Most of from the list of ROB(f,f)G(f)->, which are *not* dependent on the opponent being sent flying, especially grab, jab, U-smash on heavies, d-tilt. Practically anything from the aforementioned list... just be aware of what happened to your opponent, sent flying, popped slightly up, shielded, etc.

ROB(b,f)G(d)->
Practically the whole ROB(b,b) list, depending on where the glide puts you, if the gyro hits, etc.

ROB(f,f)G(u)->
Used mostly as a means to catch an opponent with the gyro who is in the air. Don't make it a habit, as they can/will airdodge to catch the gyro.

U-smash (low percents, or if the G(u) doesn't hit them, but the slide brings you underneath them)
U-air (same as U-smash, but works just as well if the gyro hits them)
Up+B into... (works similarly to U-air, good for setting up rising aerials for a possible KO)

I'm not really going to go into any more in-depth detail, as most of the other facing/glide/gyro toss combinations have available to them several things from other lists, just with minor adjustments. Practice them on your own!

Misc Glide Toss Stuff:

D-Tilt Lock Set-up; Can be used to set-up a D-tilt lock either by chasing them down *after* a gyro hit, or using the toss to chase them down.

Glide-Hugging (mentioned before)

Additional Follow-ups; don't think you are limited to "gyro->move". Depending on the situation (opponent, percent, where you wound up after your glide, whether the gyro hit them) you can follow up with multiple things one after the other.

Ex: ROB(f,f)G(f)->Grab->Pummel->D-throw->U-air.

Pivot Glide Tossing
I was foolin' around one time in training mode with the whole "pivoting smashes" where you dash one way, then dash the other, and cancel the Dash with a D- or F-smash (similar to stutter stepping, but... more 'prolonged', for lack of a better word), and thought that if I can cancel into a smash, why not a glide-toss.

So, you get a gyro in hand. Dash toward or away from the opponent, start a dash toward where you were before, and glide toss. It is important to note that you have to glide in the OPPOSITE direction of where you are heading for this to work properly.

So: Gyro in hand, facing left->dash right->dash back to the left->glide toss so that ROB glides back to the right. The gyro can be thrown in any direction.

The main appeal of this, is that it now adds some "surprise" to your glide toss. A lot of intermediate level ROBs will roll, or dash to a certain point away from the opponent and then glide toss, or will immediately glide toss- which a good opponent will see coming after a few times, rendering it a lot less effective. With this, you keep them guessing once you have a gyro in your hand. "Ok, he's dashing away. He's gonna stop, shield, and toss. OH NOES! WHAT?!" or "Ok, he has a gyro, expect a... why is he approaching me?? *grab attempt that fails because you dashed the opposite way* Gawsh, my grab missed. *glide-toss to the face*

...Somethin' like that.

Varying Your Projectiles
We all know that one of ROB's strong points is his ability to camp a lot of people out. However, in a lot of the MU's, camping is neutralized by powershielding, which can make the MU much harder. Therefore, it is imperative to keep your projectile use fresh! Here are some ways.

Run toward opponent->SH->Reverse Gyro Cancel->Reverse Laser
Run away from opponent->SH->Reverse Gyro Cancel->Laser
Run away from opponent->SH->Reverse Gyro
Run away from opponent->Reverse Gyro on ground->cancel into a grab if they get close
Run toward opponent->gyro cancel->laser

Once the opponent becomes 'conditioned' to expect some sort of laser follow-up out of an approach that was RGC (reverse gyro cancell'd), that opens up some NEW stuff which *isn't* a projectile, like:

Run toward opponent->SH->Reverse Gyro Cancel->B-air
Run toward opponent->SH->Reverse Gyro Cancel->Reversed Up+B->F-air on descent.

More "standard" follow ups NOT involving Glide-tossing to come sometime soon!

On the subject of Delphino and armor piece protection, that's all well and good- but if you fuggz around to close to the platform, be prepared to get D-smashed at the start of your up+B, which can lead to a lot of bad, bad things.

Corneria is banned anyway

The one problem with the DDD/SV pairing is the CG on the platform. If he CG's you in the direction the platform is moving, you can't do a darn thing about it for the most part.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Thanks so much for that post DuLL. Thanks to that, we got a lot of the glide tossing section updated, and introduced the "Tips" and "Stages" sections. Tips I did, but I need to get a list of stages, so I'll edit that little tidbit at the end in a bit.

TheMike

Smash Lord
i have already posted about the stages
check if the information ir right, but i am almost sure that it's true as it has being working for me for a long time

if don;t, i can work better in this, i am good at stages IMO ^^

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Um...Probably looking for whether it's a viable choice for ROB, what advantages/disadvantages it offers ROB, and what to look out for from the stage. That, and another other notes you feel like adding.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
The best I can do is offer my two cents. I like odd stage choices at times, but- feel free to pick/snip out of my assessments, whatever is generally and widely applicable. Should be coming in the intermediate-future.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
My Stage Stuff​

Like I said before, this is more or less just my two cents. Sometimes I make bad stage choices in various MUs, just because I am *really* comfortable with a stage. But, I will try my best to go "by the book" when writing these out. As I mentioned before, feel free to pull applicable snippets to use while disregarding the others.

STARTER

Battlefield:
A lot of ROBs just... *hate* this stage. I am not one of these ROBs. I actually find myself doing well here against most of the cast. But, I will try to keep it as "by the book" as possible.

+ Platforms can act as a natural "shield" which enables center stage camping/zoning while being in reach of the platforms with SH aerials.
+ Platforms can boost ROB's "underneath game" allowing him to land U-(move).
+ Can be flown under to help recovery options against vicious edgeguarders.
+ Can be flown over with ease to help recovery options.
+ The odd slant can be used to help land stage spikes
+ Smaller blast zones can help kill heavier characters earlier

- Platforms expose ROB's blindspots- both below and above.
- Smaller blast zones mean ROB can die earlier
- Characters with a strong "underneath" game will do exceptionally well here
- While you *can* camp the center/edges of the stage, things are a bit more cramped
- Larger characters or those with disjointed aerials (Bowser or Marth respectively, among others) occupy a TON of space and can control large portions of the stage (Snake!)

Final Destination
A lot of ROBs LOVE LOVE LOVE this stage, generally. To me, its very "eh". Sometimes I feel incredibly comfy on it, and sometimes I don't.

+ Long and flat with no obstructions to camping.
+ Large blastzones to keep ROB alive longer
+ Lip can help get stage-spikes or silly SD's
+ Can be flown under for recovery purposes
+ Can be flown over with relative ease/lack of danger for recovery purposes
+ Lack of platforms minimizes ROB's blindspots

- CG's & Locks last longer
------------->DDD's
------------->IC's Ice block Lock
------------->Banana Locks, Laser Locks, Jab Locks, etc.
- ROB can be outcamped by some characters such as Falco
- Harder to KO opponents because of the larger blastzones
- Stage lip can catch you and set you up for stage spikes if you aren't careful.

Smashville
A good, solid stage. Probably my neutral of choice (generally speaking, though I prefer BF over any stage for SOME odd reason)

+ Long enough and unobstructed enough to camp a bit
+ Moving platform can help set-up ROB's underneath game
+ Platform is large enough to move around on to avoid getting totally handled from below
+ Moving platform can regenerate your Robo-Burner fuel
+ Smaller edges leads to Fresh B-throw KOs, and B-throw to full laser KOs.
+ Can be flown under for recovery
+ Can be flown over for recovery, just pay attention to the platform
+ Under the edge can snag stage spikes/SD's from opponent
+ Balloons

+/- CG's & Locks last longer than on BF, but shorter on FD. So, its a decent trade-off between "room to camp" and "room to get CG'd/locked" for most.

- Moving platform can save opponents/stop gimps
- Psuedo DDD infinite CG by DDD on moving platform
- Moving platform is large enough for OTHER chars to move around on safely
- Moving platform CAN become a hazard (c4, grenade, bananas, etc)

Yoshi's Island
Personally, my least favorite of the neutrals...

+ Angled floor can create some cool laser angles
+ Central platform is good for camping under
+ Central platform can help ROB's underneath game
+ Tilting central platform can interrupt opponent's approaches
+Angled edge allows for protected camping, as it creates a favorable angle for anti-approaches
+ Gyro is harder to pick up, which can net you some free damage% on your opponent
+ Cghost thingy allows you a safer camping position, replenishes fuel
+ Sloped floor allows for a grab released U-smash on Wario

+/- Shy Guys

- Gyro is harder to pick up for YOU to use.
- Opponent can get recovery back thanks to the ghost
- Tilting platform can throw a wrench in your approaches
- Tilting platform can enhance other char's underneath games
- Laser/gyro can take unintended angles

STARTER/CCOUNTER

Castle Siege
A tricky stage due to the transformations. Not too bad, but not the best, generally.

(1st Trans)
+ Platforms enable ROB's underneath game.
+ Can get some early gimps thanks to the silly edges
+ Walled edge enables some stage spikes and such
+ During transition TO this stage, you can catch an opponent off-the stage and too far to recover back

- Platforms can be a detriment depending on the opponent

(2nd Trans)
+ Can camp behind statues, as a laser will go through them
+ Odd platforms, but platforms none-the-less enable you to move around to not get ***** from below
+ Can marginally increase the effectiveness of ROBs underneath game

- Walk-off edge!
- Walk-off edge!
- Platforms to enhance other chars underneath games

(3rd Trans)
+ Most of the same +'s of FD, but with a slight obstruction
+ Possible to get a grab release U-smash on Wario on the tilted portion (???Maybe???)
+ Hanging on edge during transformation gets Robo-Burner back

- Most of the negatives of FD

Halberd
+ Fly through floor helps in a lot of matchups
+ Central platform can hekp the underneath game
+ Central platform is large enough to maneuver on
+ Small boundaries can "even up" the KO potential between characters
+ Ability to camp while stage is airborne and grounded
+ Stage can be flown under for recovery purposes

+/- Stage Hazards

- Fly through floor is detrimental in some matchups
- Platform issues

Pokemon Stadium 1
Generally, this is a CP I like for the most part.
+ Campy stage, there are places where you can really melt the clock.
+ Platforms to help ROB's underneath game
+ Stage spike/opponent SD chances due to the edge & the central pillar
+ Places to D-tilt lock
+ Lots of open, off-stage space to set up gimps

- Stage transformations can be tricky
- Melting the clock can be bad (Wario & fart camping)
- Platform issues
- Places to GET locked/trapped in infinites
- Stage objects can be 'controlled' (c4 on windmill for example)

Lylat Cruise
+ Tilting stage can give silly angles to gyros/lasers
+ Edges can mess with some char's recovery (Fox/Falco/Ness/Lucas)
+ Platforms...

- Platforms...
- Through the floor trixies (Diddy, ZSS)
- Can be just... nauseating to look at!
- Can be hard to pick up gyro

COUNTER

Brinstar
Another tricky stage that you might not see a TON of. It is somewhat gimmicky, and I'm personally not a huge fan of it *generally* though it does have some advantages in some matchups.

+ Tendon... things can provide a marginal shield for camping behind.
+ Energy cell... things can act as a shield and trap.
+ Platforms arranged in such a way that you probably won't get entirely HANDLED from below
+ Platforms can boost ROB's underneath game marginally
+ Platforms are arranged in such a way that you can hit almost anywhere with your laser/gyro
+ Smallish blastzones can even out the KO potential between characters
+ Floor hazards can help your recovery if you run out of fuel
+ Gimping is possible, though more horizontal than vertical.

+/- Acid

- A bit cramped, especially against larger chars
- Tendon... things and energy cells can slightly prolong hitboxes
- Characters who depent on stage control can monopolize a lot of the stage at any given time
- Smaller blastzones can negate any recovery differential

Delphino
Pretty good all around stage. Some stuff to worry about, but adjusting your playstyle on diff transformations will help tremendously in dealing with them.

All the "flight stages" are good, solid stages.
-------(+)Platforms to help out ROB's underneath game
-------(+)Generally large enough to maneuver on to avoid complete ****
-------(+)Fly through floors are generally good.
-------(-) Most of the drawbacks associated with BF
Beach Transformation
-------(+)Solid camping area, as the incline makes them approach right in F-smash/F-tilt/laser angles
-------(+)Water makes D-air more viable than normal
-------(-)Hard for ROB to approach if they are staked out on the inclines as it exposes his blindspot
Canal Trans
-------(+)Can camp the outermost platforms (in magnifying glass)
-------(+)D-tilt lock opportunity Rooftop Trans
-------(+)Not too bad for camping since it is rather long
-------(-)Walk-Off Edge to the right
-------(-)Wall infinite
Courtyard Trans
-------(+)Not too bad for camping, as it is rather long and has favorable angles
-------(+)Water at the edge makes D-air more viable
Plaza Trans
--------(+)Can camp the edges, as long as you are on the raised stepped portion.
--------(-) Walk-Off Edges on both sides.
Pillar Trans
-------(+)Can camp the outer pillars
-------(+)Marginal gimp opportunities
-------(+)Can fuggz with ledge invincibility
-------(-)Water is more of a hassle here than a help
Rooftop Trans
-------(+)Good and long, which you can melt the clock/camp on
-------(+)Pseudo D-tilt lock opportunity
-------(+)Non-grabbable edge wrecks some recoveries
-------(-)Walk-Off Edges
Yellow Rooftop Trans
-------(+)Can melt the clock by camping the outer edges
-------(+)D-tilt lock opportunity
-------(-)Wall infinite

(I think that's all the transformations)

Frigate Orpheon
Probably my (and a lot of ROBs) CP. It will most likely be banned by your opponent, but in case they don't... feel free to choose it!

First Trans
-------(+)Can camp under the left platform
-------(+)Ungrabbable edge can wreck a lot of recoveries & set up gimps
-------(+)Free D-tilt opportunities on the elevating/lowering platform when it lowers
-------(+)Can go under the stage for recovery purposes
-------(-)Lowish Ceiling
-------(-)Can get locked against the same wall for a short period of time
Second Trans
-------(+)Can camp a bit under the central platform
-------(+)Can melt the clock/camp off the edge, using the appearing plates to recharge fuel
-------(+)Can go under the stage for recovery purposes
-------(-)Appearing plates can save some chars

Jungle Japes
Camp heaven, one of ROBs best stages generally

+ Impossibly high ceilings negate most chars U-(move) KO options.
+ Can camp side platforms against most chars
+ Short side blastzones means a fresh B-throw or a B-throw to Laser will kill much earlier
+ Water is slightly (only slightly) less of an issue for ROB due to his ability to 'hover' over it.
+ Ability to melt the clock against chars without projectiles

+/- KlapTraps... they come every 10 seconds when the ones digit in the timer reaches "7"

- High ceiling means any U-smashes you manage to land thanks to the platform aren't as fabulous as it normally would be
- ROB tends to KO at an upward diagonal... so some 'lighter' chars will be living a LOT longer than you'd expect (GaW, MK)
- Side platforms can be used against you by some chars, especially those with multiple jumps & large hitboxes on their attacks

Pictochat
Another stage with a large-ish ceiling, hazards, and other oddities

+ High ceiling means you can live quite a long time from chars who have strong U-(move)
+ Main transformation is pretty similar to FD

+/- Hazards
+/- Hazards that are more awkward than hazardous

- Odd edge trixies (Kirby's infinite stone thingy)
- Harder to gimp here
- Hard to land a U-smash for most of the stage & its transformations
- Harder to KO most opponents, which evens up the "length of time they normally live compared to ROB" differential

Pirate Ship
Ugh... just... try to stay away from it

+ Can marginally take advantage of the central platforms
+ Water makes a D-air spike a bit more manageable
+ Can camp the Red Lion tug-boat deal to melt the clock

+/- Hazards
+/- More dumb hazards

- Hard to utilize projectiles here because of the shape of the ship
- Ship's "falling" transformation keeps ROB and other chars in the air... meaning if they are under hm, they are staying under him
- Shape of the ship's deck is just... not good for ROB

Pokemon Stadium 2
Similar to Pokemon Stadium 1, aside from totally different transformations and edges

+ Main stage is a pretty solid stage, with same +'s as PKMST1
+ Can melt the clock on the "rock" transformation
+ D-tilt lock against the large stone
+ Ice stage can be camped by staying on the un-iced edge, if the opponent doesn't want to approach
+ Ice transformation can make GT'ing ridiculous
+ Wind transformation can create some nifty, low % aerial chains.
+ Conveyor belt trans can make GT'ing super effective
+ Camping the solid center is a great way to keep opponent on defensive

- Main stage has same drawbacks as PKMST1
- Can be wall infinited during "rock" transformation on the large stone
- Ice transformation can allow some slow chars to approach really quick, and DACUS' become ridiculous... so do GT's
- Wind transformation can pose huge problems if opponent is below ROB
- Conveyor transformation... see: DACUS, GT, and approaches becoming faster (if they are on the correct side to do so)

Rainbow Cruise
What can I say, its Rainbow Cruise...

+ Boat is arranged where you can (wisely) camp the back end near the propellers for a bit.
+ Shorter blastzones means it takes "less" to gimp, but there isn't much room to maneuver
+ D-tilt lock chance against the wall
+ Platforms and associated benefits on boat
+ Ship's bow is good for getting extreme laser angles
+ Second 'phase' is (ascent and then alll the platform/rug parts) is great for gimping
+ Fly through floors are generally good
+ Second phase lets ROB's up+B shine
+ Third phase has a possible lock against the checkered wall
+ Camping the right side is a good thing during third phase
+ Stage is good versus characters who are immobile, lack projectiles, or have horrid recoveries (most of the cast)

+/- Dissapearing blocks; on third phase if the block drops, you can drift in to land on a platform

- Can be be wall-locked on boat
- Platforms and associated drawbacks on boat
- Fly-through floors is a bad thing against some characters

COUNTER/BANNED

Norfair
This is a tricky, silly, stage. It takes some practice to get used to, and it is a very MU dependent stage. Generally, you want to stay away from this stage...

+ Platforms to camp on (against slow chars with no projectiles)
+ Platforms to abuse ledge invincibility
+ Platforms can net you some free U-smashes
+ Lowish ceiling nets early KOs from U-smashes
+ ROB has an extra method to deal with the "over the stage" lava flows (Up+B over it)
+ Large stage where you can literally run the clock against some chars

+/- Lava

- Platforms are arranged in such a way that camping is hindered, depending on character positions
- Other chars can abuse ledge-invincibility
- Usually good for helping out tether char recoveries & preventing gimps
- Gyro can get caught and bounce around for an inordinate time due to the lava flows
- Platform issues
- Other, more mobile chars can melt the clock against ROB

Yoshi's Island (Melee/Pipes)
Another sort of wacky, gimmicky stage. Definitely not one of my favs (no cp from me), but it is such a rare occurrence to be CP'd here that I wouldn't worry TOO much about it. I rarely play on it, so my +/- is based solely on theorycraft

+ Ridiculously short sides means you need to only snag one or two f-airs offstage to get a gimp
+ Blocks can net a U-smash kill at lowish percents.
+ Can net a grab released U-smash on Wario (possibly?)

+/- Blocks in general...

- Silly boundaries neutralize ROB's survivability
- Walk Off Edge
- Walk Off Edge

Port Town Aero Drive
Think Delphino meets Big Blue...

+ Grabless edges wreck tether recoveries during flight stage, and recoveries in general as it robs (no pun intended) of ledge safety.
+ Hard to gimp unless it horizontally for the most part of the flight stage due to floor hazards
+ Fly-through floors during flight stage are generally good.
+ D-tilt shenanigans against the track's retaining wall on "grounded" stages
+ Various places for silly gimps and damage racking opportunities
+ Track harzard doesn't bother ROB as much as many other chars due to his ability to stay above it
+ Transformations with platforms are generally spread out far enough so that ROB won't get platform *****
+ Room during transformation to stall a bit offstage without worrying about running out of fuel, as you can use floor hazards to get back onto the stage if absolutely necc.

+/- Hazards

- Walk off edges at one transformation
- Gimps aren't necc. harder... just more involved
- Stage portion that can get some d-tilt shenanigans also pose a wall-infinite threat

Luigi's Mansion
Banned at a lot of places, its really MU dependant. Its a tricky stage and takes some getting used to.

+ Pillars stop practically all projectiles except ROB's laser
+ ^ Leads to camping
+ U-tilt shenanigans bc of the ceiling
+ Silly edge can net some free kills against some chars
+ (After Mansion Destroyed) You get a nice long central platform to camp on... like FD.
+ Ridiculously high ceiling keeps you alive longer against chars with strong U-(kill) games
+ Chest high platforms can get you some easy percent
+ Silly ceiling inside the mansion on the lower level
+ If your opponent can't tech... YAY!
+ U-smash easier to land... somewhat
+ Can melt the clock

- Silly ceiling inside mansion can lead to ROB getting handled by some moves
- Central platform (after mansion is destroyed) has similar drawbacks to FD
- High ceiling means landing a U-smash isn't as fabulous as it normally would be
- If you can't tech... BOO!
- Chest high platforms can get your WRECKED
- ROB can get platform ***** kind of hard, as there is only one small section on the 2nd story that is fall-through.
- Clock can be melted against ROB

Green Greens

Why couldn't they have used one of the GOOD Kirby stages?!

+ Can easily melt the clock against chars who have no projectiles to explode bombs
+ Pretty decent at presenting gimping opprotunities

+/- Bombs
+/- Blocks
+/- Peaches
+/- Whispy Wood

- Wall infinites against blocks
- Very... cramped.

(admittedly, I don't play too often on this stage as its just... too gimmicky for my tastes... so, anything that would flesh this out would be great)

Distant Planet

+ Large, open area underneat (and to the side when the... worm thing isn't there) to set up gimps
+ Can camp the hill marginally well
+ Fly through floor

+/- Waterflow on the platform
+/- Flower... seed things
+/i Worm... thing

- Walk off edge
- Funky platforms

(another stage I don't play on... like, at all)

Muro

Smash Lord
Oh I absolutely LOVE Castle Siege. It's my Frigate Orpheon.
i do too, if you bait them into aproaching you on the second transformation or during the trasformation itself you can score some early kills with a back/front throw, and lasers go through the statues as well, most projectiles dont. Also the edges on the first transformation are kinda wierd for some characters to sweetspot and rob has no problems with it.

Oh God. I SUCK at any stage realtedd stuff. I am a complete n00b when it comes to stuff like CPing, banning, loser's choice, etc.....

I'll just stick to adding stats, numbers, and the such.
Btw, I try to get the ROFLcopter done today.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Sweet. I'm going to mass right now, and I'll have like two hours inbetween getting back and going to a fourth of july picnic, so I'll probs get your stage stuff up then.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Please, if you know anything about ROB that isn't noted in the OP already, techniques, tips, move data, matchups, stages, anything, please post it.

Alright RaZer, added your post. That was a very very very nice bit of info to add. I'm thinking we should also add the characters that we should take there and who we should avoid there. I'm also going to split your quote up by stage so that I can add my own and others can add their own too. Thanks!

Top Bottom