• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Road to Victory - video four.....FINALLY?!?!?

Orion*

Smash Researcher
gonna delay my thoughts on EU vs ATL/US playstyles i think until i get home and i can play everyone and reconfirm what i feel i think.

not that im slow on uupdating this anyway

people need to give me more questions/things to answer though otherwise i will run ouut of material :p

edit: whats a general consensus of a good number of vids to put up per day/week/month/year/decade/ect? something tasteful if its to much then theres nothing to look forward to and also i think its so much info in a short period of time that nobody will get to implement the last video, and if its to little everyone will forget about me

etecoon

Smash Hero
this should be a good question for you because you have the reputation of being THE campy knight : p

do you ever feel like camping some people or characters is counterproductive? a lot of times it seems like for me I can get a lead on someone playing kind of passive aggressive or even just agro but then I camp and it just gives them more opportunities to hit me</doingitwrong>. I think it's a character dependent thing like some obviously have **** options against it but others I really have no idea how to play against as MK, like diddy I've lost to almost every one that I've played as MK regardless of how I try to play it, I only have wins on diddy players because of snake and TV SDing XD

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think once or twice in a week would be good if that's not too much for you. Like, one video to answer questions gathered over the period of a week on weekends and during weekdays you cover particular subjects [US/EU playstyles, game play tips, tournament experiences, etc] in other videos.

I'll come up with some questions myself as well ^^

:059:

Orion*

Smash Researcher
this should be a good question for you because you have the reputation of being THE campy knight : p

do you ever feel like camping some people or characters is counterproductive? a lot of times it seems like for me I can get a lead on someone playing kind of passive aggressive or even just agro but then I camp and it just gives them more opportunities to hit me</doingitwrong>. I think it's a character dependent thing like some obviously have **** options against it but others I really have no idea how to play against as MK, like diddy I've lost to almost every one that I've played as MK regardless of how I try to play it, I only have wins on diddy players because of snake and TV SDing XD
oooooh i <3 this question starting with this one
You should commentate on your recent matches, first set of GF is up.
kk
I think once or twice in a week would be good if that's not too much for you. Like, one video to answer questions gathered over the period of a week on weekends and during weekdays you cover particular subjects [US/EU playstyles, game play tips, tournament experiences, etc] in other videos.

I'll come up with some questions myself as well ^^

this sounds great

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Hmmm, the question I meant to ask is a bit close to etecoon's and also might overlap with your coverage of US/EU playstyles.

Recently I've talked to Jumpman via MSN and we both agreed [independently of each other's opinions] that agressive play - at least in theory - is more effective than defensive play. My reasoning was, that approaching gives you more opportunities to be creative than camping. As long as you approach you are free to choose your options whereas in a defensive position you are forced to use a limited set of tools. Furthermore, by the defensive reaction of my opponent I learn more about him than he learns about me from my offensive action too.
Both conclusions imply that the risk/reward ratio is potentially more favorable when you approach than when you camp. It just seems easier and mentally less exhausting to play defensively [which is probably a huge factor for stamina in tournament], which is why practically it's the more successful way to play.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on that subject.

Staco

Smash Champion
Hmmm, the question I meant to ask is a bit close to etecoon's and also might overlap with your coverage of US/EU playstyles.

Recently I've talked to Jumpman via MSN and we both agreed [independently of each other's opinions] that agressive play - at least in theory - is more effective than defensive play. My reasoning was, that approaching gives you more opportunities to be creative than camping. As long as you approach you are free to choose your options whereas in a defensive position you are forced to use a limited set of tools. Furthermore, by the defensive reaction of my opponent I learn more about him than he learns about me from my offensive action too.
Both conclusions imply that the risk/reward ratio is potentially more favorable when you approach than when you camp. It just seems easier and mentally less exhausting to play defensively [which is probably a huge factor for stamina in tournament], which is why practically it's the more successful way to play.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on that subject.

Playing defensive and offensive is both effective.
It depends on the situation, character, your enemies habits etc. on which style is better.
I would also better put it into options saying there are deffensive options and offensive options (blitzes).
If you play MK on BF vs. Falco and you got a stock lead you sure don´t want to approach him, cause it would bring you into a bad situation. You could just let the Falco come to you, so that he gets into a bad situation.

Chosing offensive actions is also often based on predicts.
If you got a string going it sure won´t be to bad to go for this predicts/offensive reactions.
Staying deffensive and reacting also works pretty well.
But yeah, I wouldn´t limit this into two categories (offensive and deffensive), since it´s mixed up and its character, situation, stage and playerdependent, which works better in a certain situation.

If you make the first move (offensive action) your enemy is able to react to you and if he is spaced/good at zoning you could punish you for making this move.
If you wait for your enemies move (deffensive action) you could get hit before reacting to your enemies move.
If both players do sth. offensive, one action will counter the other.
If both players do stg. deffensive, nothing will happen except zoning.
All of this options are mixed up in real fights.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I asked Orion to cover this in his next video. If I wanted to know your answer I would've asked you.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
sorry guys its been holiday time so obviously i have been away a little bit ;)

now im back in NJ/NY until jan9th

but i will put up a vid at least by christmas or the day after responding to everyone lol

i just think its very important to see my family the little that i do, and also

LOL gheb

Staco

Smash Champion
I would like you to hold one talk about traveling, esepacally from EU to the US and the other way around.
And about traveling in the US and in the EU in comparison.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
just the salt XD

and okay im FINALLY home for more than 5 minutes and its like 5:30am.... but im gonna stay up and try and make this vid for you. i hope it uploads my internet is pretty booty

edit: internets to slow to awful to upload this... >_>

oh well at least i have the vid done ill just go to someones crib and do it.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Orion what's your opinion on good players playing bad characters? Do you think it's healthy for the community overall to have more character variety or would you like to see the elite players playing good characters? (Chu, Boss, X, Espy, etc.)

Boofy!

Smash Champion
Thanks for the videos.. they really help me with mindset and getting the most out when I play, whether it's a tourney or friendlies for a few hours. Very informative.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Thanks for the videos.. they really help me with mindset and getting the most out when I play, whether it's a tourney or friendlies for a few hours. Very informative.
thanks, it means a lot to get compliments because it means im helping everyone - even if its just a little.
:bee:

im gonna attempt to have the next video up sunday ._.

if anyone has ideas/suggestions post!

if not then ill just talk about what i learned the last few tournaments and maybe spend some time on mobility because i think its super important

V1CE

Smash Champion
Orion what's your opinion on good players playing bad characters? Do you think it's healthy for the community overall to have more character variety or would you like to see the elite players playing good characters? (Chu, Boss, X, Espy, etc.)
I know its not directed to me but ima answer anyway. Some players just click with certain characters and put more work into them than others. Sometimes a good sonic can be a good mk. A smart player is smart cause they know the ins and outs of there character. Honestly it is good for the game. It mixes things up more.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
Thanks for the videos.. they really help me with my hormones and getting the most out when I ****, whether it's a tourney or friendlies for a few hours. Very informative.

etecoon

Smash Hero
we all know when you lose you go and rage fap :)
you know this is probably why you always get sick when you go to worcester, I mean really LOOK at the bathrooms at DNA sometime, it's barely safe to go in for 30 seconds and piss you stay longer than that and you ARE catching something

Gonzalo Barrios

Smash Apprentice
Playing defensive and offensive is both effective.
It depends on the situation, character, your enemies habits etc. on which style is better.
I would also better put it into options saying there are deffensive options and offensive options (blitzes).
If you play MK on BF vs. Falco and you got a stock lead you sure don´t want to approach him, cause it would bring you into a bad situation. You could just let the Falco come to you, so that he gets into a bad situation.

Chosing offensive actions is also often based on predicts.
If you got a string going it sure won´t be to bad to go for this predicts/offensive reactions.
Staying deffensive and reacting also works pretty well.
But yeah, I wouldn´t limit this into two categories (offensive and deffensive), since it´s mixed up and its character, situation, stage and playerdependent, which works better in a certain situation.

If you make the first move (offensive action) your enemy is able to react to you and if he is spaced/good at zoning you could punish you for making this move.
If you wait for your enemies move (deffensive action) you could get hit before reacting to your enemies move.
If both players do sth. offensive, one action will counter the other.
If both players do stg. deffensive, nothing will happen except zoning.
All of this options are mixed up in real fights.
Good read, I think the same way Staco.

It's all about the situation always, I'm pretty sure that nobody here want's to rush Ice Climbers's in FD.

Gonzalo Barrios

Smash Apprentice
because you have so many camping options on that stage with the platforms and everything :awesome:
LOL.....
:glare:

Well, Tournaments IC's and Friendlys IC's are two different worlds.

In friendlys I usually try different strats, I'm trying to develop a "rushing/aggresive" strategy against tournaments IC's.

I did that strategy in a tournament and I 3 stocked that IC (he wasn't a noob, he was pretty good) and I didn't got grabbed lol.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I full heartedly support this. Its always good to hear others opinions. I wouldnt mind being video critiqued sometime lol. If you'll only do mk it'll be a while though XD. Oh ya....how can you get voiced audio into like a video fo someone else/replay anyways? I'd love to start doing some for my fellow smashers myself.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
ill do any character if you want me to :p

and idk xD im not that great w/ computers i just push the upload button from my webcam lol

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
ill do any character if you want me to :p

and idk xD im not that great w/ computers i just push the upload button from my webcam lol
Lol cool~ i got some mk as well. He's too ez to pick up :p granted i've been using him in teams a decent while so that probably helped xD.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
i dont have a lot to do tomorrow i think so ill get to working on the next vid soon- although mr.r is supposed to come over this weekend if he is and wants to maybe ill have him guest

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
HELLL NAWWW orion should team with me, we'd win. + I want moneyzzz. (not kidding, I'm way better at teams than I am at singles). and Clowsui, monopolies are prohibited.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Istud still plays? I never see him anymore haha
yeah, i personally feel like he kinda went on a playing bad streak recently- the set i played with him in germany was the worst game ive ever played.

1st stock = last hit, i kill him- he comes back. i trip and die its 0%'s
2nd stock = last hit, i kill him- he comes back. i trip and die its 0%'s
3rd stock we're both at like 30 and jumps off the stage and airdodges and im like wtf, but i had to gimp him for it

i had heard he debated quitting- was upset ect,
although ramin told me yesterday that he has been practicing a lot now so i think it will be fine for the next tournament:p

im excited for the rematch haha he's so awesome

Top Bottom