• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley for SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Well first, his thread was brutally ***** and closed. Then he came over here and got pwned in the ***. It was the double whammy of noob slaying goodness.

Really? ****it,how could I miss that? Sounds like you guys had a good 'ol time stomping him down and sacrificing his remains to Ridley,I wish I could have been there. :ohwell:

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
^ Buh? I think you typoed the word "they" there. Also, SS? What does Solid Snake have to do with being a big character? He's not.

(And another guy is using my avatar. ;_; )
I'm saying that the mere fact that SS is in opens the way for many characters who probably wouldn't be considered otherwse. The Chozo rule.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well his inclusion only opens it up for Third Party characters. It's not related to Ridley at all. If Snake was some type of strange animal that people thought couldn't be implimented, but then was, then I'd say sure its realted, but that's not the case. >_>

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Well his inclusion only opens it up for Third Party characters. It's not related to Ridley at all. If Snake was some type of strange animal that people thought couldn't be implimented, but then was, then I'd say sure its realted, but that's not the case. >_>
He is a Solid Snake. Have YOU seen a Solid Snake?

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
I have one right here, baby!

...I think the point was that Snake is a darker character than those that had been seen before.
Woow.um...no comment. Anyway,I'm hoping that with Snake and Ridley we get more dark characters top combat the sugary-sweet guys like Pikachu and Kirby!

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Ridley isn't dark though, at least in the sense of him being overly violent, or something else of that nature. Evil space dragon yes, but he's about as dark as say Bowser. Really, Snake's inclusion had no effect on Ridley. >_>

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Ridley isn't dark though, at least in the sense of him being overly violent, or something else of that nature. Evil space dragon yes, but he's about as dark as say Bowser. Really, Snake's inclusion had no effect on Ridley. >_>
I would say Ridley is a lot darker than Bowser though. :-? I think it's a matter of opinion and PoV.

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
Bowser is the cartoony villian. Ridley is for all intents & purposes a killing machine.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Since when? I know he's killed Samus's parents off screen, but other than that, he's just been there attacking like your average boss would. Visually, he's about as fearsome as Bowser, and in terms of evil feats, he's behind Ganondorf. >_>

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
Since when? I know he's killed Samus's parents off screen, but other than that, he's just been there attacking like your average boss would. Visually, he's about as fearsome as Bowser, and in terms of evil feats, he's behind Ganondorf. >_>
Man, you can't let us have anything, can you. Ganondorf, though cool, is far from being considered the epitome of evil. If anything, Ridley & Ganondorf are on the same level, & Bowser is awesome, but is less serious than Ridley & Ganondorf.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
In one shot he has a horse head, and the other a beak. Wat up wit dat? :O

Oh, but.

Bowser:

Ridley:

See what I did there?

Anyways, its to bad Ridley has so little apperances that are in canon. Everything's just comics, really. >_>

Vali

Smash Ace
Wasn't the last time Bowser was a final boss, he was sitting in a bathtub? Plus it's pointless debating about whether Ganondorf is more or less evil than Ridley, since they both pale in comparison to the antagonist of any decent RPG ^^.

Ridley slaughters innocents in the manga, but in the Metroid games there's little to no room to really be doing any evil at all. He's as pretty much as evil as the game allows, which is killing the protagonist. Ganondorf on the other hand doesn't go around maiming the innocent (despite being set in a citizen filled world) but instead goes about his business by instead manipulating, kidnapping and taking over the world by brute force blah blah blah. In OOT actually he has completely forsaken the land, but most of the time doesn't really do much.

Oh and Grim I think the picture of Bowser playing Golf is an excellent (and hilarious) example of what you mean. Kudos.

Bowser on the other hand isn't really evil as such. He's one of those failed villains that are cartoony and attempt to be "evil" but it's just mischief more than actual evil. Sure he attempts to kill the protagonist (in a "I'll get you one day Mario *shakes fist*" way) and he kidnaps the princess (to marry her >.>) but to be honest Captain Olimar is far more evil than Bowser is.

the grim lizard

Smash Master

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
In terms of evil feats, he's behind Ganondorf. >_>
QFT. :)

Ridley:
: pics:
Bowser:

: pics:
XD Too good.

Ganondorf, though cool, is far from being considered the epitome of evil.
-_- Who has succesfully destroyed Hyrule? Twice (technically), if not more? Oh, right, Ganondorf.

Plus it's pointless debating about whether Ganondorf is more or less evil than Ridley, since they both pale in comparison to the antagonist of any decent RPG ^^.

Ridley slaughters s in the manga, but in the Metroid games there's little to no room to really be doing any evil at all. He's as pretty much as evil as the game allows, which is the protagonist. Ganondorf on the other hand doesn't go around ing the (despite being set in a citizen filled world) but instead goes about his business by instead manipulating, kidnapping and taking over the world by brute force blah blah blah. In OOT for example he has completely forsaken the land, but most of the time doesn't really do much.
Nobody is mocking the Great King of Evil on my watch.

First off, I too am a Ridley fan. But first and formost, I'm a Ganondorf fan. If there was ever a bad mother @#$%er in the Nintendo universe, it was this guy (not Ganon, mind you. >_>). Ganondorf originally took over Hyrule by force, leading an army. Granted, he did little busy work in the beginning, but he did take the matter into his own hands (example: chasing after Impa and Zelda on horse back in OoT), more often then not. While he didn't do as much as say, Sephiroth (-_-), Sephiroth doesn't have an army of evil minions behind him. Ganondorf had to build up his army. Keep in mind, that in OoT, there weren't any Gerudo's around his castle. Could be that they wanted nothing to do with him. :shrug: (Before anyone goes correcting me on a lot of this, keep in mind I haven't played in a couple of years). Also, Ganondorf has successfully taken over Hyrule more than once. At the end of the game he is usually thwarted (you ARE the hero of time), but I can think of a couple occasions where you weren't there to stop him. Intro to Windwaker, anyone?

Besides, Ganondorf is a more complex villian than Ridley (or even Sephiroth((Not saying that's your example of an RPG villian, but it's the popular choice))). Ridley hasn't really had any goals. Except get in Samus' way, and try to kill her. Ganondorf is seeking the Triforce, to gain power, and take over the world. In Windwaker, he was an even more complex villian (almost comparing to that of David Xanatos from Gargoyles ((W00T for Jonathan Frakes))), with reasons and goals beyond the norm of, I'm just trying to take over.

[/rant]

((I'm open for discussion, but no flaming. Let's keep it civil folks ;) ))

Well it still stands that Ridley isn't really developed in the games that much. <_<

(link to manga, pl0x. Havn't read that in a long time)
Quite true. As much as I love Ridley, we don't know much about him. Except he likes to screech, fly, kill and . Oh, and get in Samus' way. ;)

Legolastom

Smash Hero
I have one right here, baby!

...I think the point was that Snake is a darker character than those that had been seen before.
Rolf LMAO

Ha ha ha XD you had Bowser playing twister that about sums it up.

Captain N??? >_<
Captain N = Superman 64

O yhea and id say on the evil list its... Occoco > G dorf > Ridley > Blue shell > Bowser

I put them in that order because 1: She riped off her child's body and cursed it so it would be a flying head for the rest of its life 2: He is pure evil and has a had a worse life than most villains ("The wind... it blows") 3: He is one of (If not the) highest ranking er... thing in an intergalacticly feared group 4: You know why 5: Well he is more comical than he is serious i mean... his enemy is a plumber for goodness sakes!

Yhea thats about it really o yhea and RIDLEY FTW!!

And a note on G'dorf: How many other villains live in two separate dimensions at the same time?

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
Rolf LMAO

Captain N = Superman 64

O yhea and id say on the evil list its... Occoco > G dorf > Ridley > Blue shell > Bowser

I put them in that order because 1: She riped off her child's body and cursed it so it would be a flying head for the rest of its life 2: He is pure evil and has a had a worse life than most villains ("The wind... it blows") 3: He is one of (If not the) highest ranking er... thing in an intergalacticly feared group 4: You know why 5: Well he is more comical than he is serious i mean... his enemy is a plumber for goodness sakes!

Yhea thats about it really o yhea and RIDLEY FTW!!

And a note on G'dorf: How many other villains live in two separate dimensions at the same time?
Blue Shell is the most evil. lmao

Fawriel

Smash Master
Besides, Ganondorf is a more complex villian than Ridley (or even Sephiroth((Not saying that's your example of an RPG villian, but it's the popular choice))). Ridley hasn't really had any goals. Except get in Samus' way, and try to kill her. Ganondorf is seeking the Triforce, to gain power, and take over the world. In Windwaker, he was an even more complex villian (almost comparing to that of David Xanatos from Gargoyles ((W00T for Jonathan Frakes))), with reasons and goals beyond the norm of, I'm just trying to take over.
Sephiroth is more complex than Ganondorf. Heck, the FF7 story is complicated to the point that many people still have no idea what was happening in it, I can imagine. I keep forgetting that myself. But, that's kind of off-topic. Well, off-off-topic.

Did Ganondorf actually receive complex characterization besides the somewhat impressive sadness he displayed in Wind Waker? Most of the time, he did just seem to me like "I'm evil, I'm taking over your good land because I can".

And Ridley might be quite comparable in terms of evilness... depending on how involved he was in the whole Metroid business. Granted, I don't know jack about the whole Metroid universe, but those buggers did cause a whole lot of trouble, and I faintly recall something comparable to the premise of Wind Waker, the destruction of a world in order to keep evil from spreading.

Although DARN, being so successfully evil you cause the gods to bring on a deluge is quite a feat.

PS: Yay, someone appreciates my subtle humor!

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Yhea but only the most Evil heart could handle being a clone of C Falcon... and not having the nipples as well.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Didn't the Chozo's create the metroids, in order to counteract the X parasite? I don't think the space pirates had much to do with them, despite probably harvesting the critters.

Regardless, as far as villainy is concerned, Kefka outweighs Ganondorf pretty heavily. Screw destroying a city, Kefka ****ed up the entire planet.

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
Granted, Metroid has never really been story driven until Fusion, but that doesn't stop him from being cool or likeable.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Yhea but only the most Evil heart could handle being a clone of C Falcon... and not having the s as well.
O_o

Anyway...

Sephiroth is more complex, and not at the same time (I keep forgetting that for most of FF7, you're chasing Jenova, not Sephiroth).

I may have been mistaken on the WW Ganondorf, but I thought he was trying to resurrect Hyrule for his people, rather than himself. I know he need the triforce to do that, in order to bring back Hyrule. I could be wrong, so someone could correct me on this.

Vali

Smash Ace
-_- Who has succesfully destroyed Hyrule? Twice (technically), if not more? Oh, right, Ganondorf.
Wasn't it more desecrated/forsaken than destroyed? Destroyed implies a total destruction thereof, which means that he'd technically have nowhere to live.

First off, I too am a Ridley fan. But first and formost, I'm a Ganondorf fan. If there was ever a bad mother @#$%er in the Nintendo universe, it was this guy (not Ganon, mind you. >_>).
Define "Nintendo universe", since FFVI was released on the SNES let us not forget, and Ganondorf doesn't compare to Kefka. If however you mean by Nintendoverse the more traditional cartoony series of in-house games released by Nintendo first party (and some rare third party stuff) then yes, but that's ruling out anything darker than Nintendo's first party stuff.

Ganondorf originally took over Hyrule by force, leading an army. Granted, he did little busy work in the beginning, but he did take the matter into his own hands (example: chasing after Impa and Zelda on horse back in OoT), more often then not. While he didn't do as much as say, Sephiroth (-_-), Sephiroth doesn't have an army of evil minions behind him. Ganondorf had to build up his army. Keep in mind, that in OoT, there weren't any Gerudo's around his castle. Could be that they wanted nothing to do with him. :shrug: (Before anyone goes correcting me on a lot of this, keep in mind I haven't played in a couple of years). Also, Ganondorf has successfully taken over Hyrule more than once. At the end of the game he is usually thwarted (you ARE the hero of time), but I can think of a couple occasions where you weren't there to stop him. Intro to Windwaker, anyone?
He's evil, no-one is doubting that, but you never really get to see him do anything really all that evil. The really evil villains are either the cool, calculated killers (Sephiroth) who often have a slight mental imbalance or the complete wackos like Kefka. Honestly Ganondorf is one of those villains which I find to always be wanting to destroy the world, manages (in some games) to take it over but in the end he never really ends up doing much that is evil (except some games, OOT for example).

Besides, Ganondorf is a more complex villian than Ridley (or even Sephiroth((Not saying that's your example of an RPG villian, but it's the popular choice))).
Yeah he's one of my favourites, but there's so many good ones to choose from. However Ganondorf is a lot less complex than your average RPG villain. There's no real reason other than him being greedy and power-hungry for him ending up with the Power triforce and attempting to take over the world. Sephiroth for example has an intricate and complex storyline with past events boiling over into the present and all the hoo-hah of RPGs that isn't found in a Zelda game. That's because traditional J-RPGs are first and foremost story-driven whereas more action/adventure RPGs such as Zelda are more about the gameplay.

Ridley hasn't really had any goals. Except get in Samus' way, and try to kill her. Ganondorf is seeking the Triforce, to gain power, and take over the world. In Windwaker, he was an even more complex villian (almost comparing to that of David Xanatos from Gargoyles ((W00T for Jonathan Frakes))), with reasons and goals beyond the norm of, I'm just trying to take over.
Ridley has some other goals that are expanded upon in say the manga and the Space Pirate logs I'm sure but I'm not knowledgeable enough in the Metroid department to be saying what exactly all that stuff is :(. Ganondorf is pretty much as wafer-thin in the complexity department as you get for villains in all but WW, but in all but WW his sense of evil comes more from the fact in design he's the epitome of badassery. Again I'm not so much trying to downplay Ganondorf as something like Bowser, since clearly his motives are more aimed at destruction than the more cartoony Mario style world, but in terms of evil both he and Ridley still have a long way to go to match up to RPG standards.

Oh and flaming only occurs when the other side starts making ******** remarks, so I don't believe it'll be necessary here :).

Legolastom

Smash Hero
He wanted to bring back Hyrule because he wanted to conquer it or he missed it but seriously the god drown Hyrule because Ganondorf had it.

But he wasn't just "I'm evil, I'm taking over your good land because I can" but he envied those who lived in Hyrule with their "Fresh wind" (Or something) while he grew up in a land where death and stuff was all that blew on their wind (G'dorf and his wind *rolls eyes*).

But yhea Ridley is great but well... when compared to G'dorf... Gandalf wouldn't have let him pass...

Edit: You youngens post while i haven't even finished mine!

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Nah, Ganondorf has always struck me as a pretty selfish ***, he wanted hyrule for himself, not for his people. It certainly didn't seem like he was thinking of his people when he wished that the Triforce handed Hyrule over to him.

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
Zelda & Metroid aren't really rpgs, nor are they story driven, but let's be honest here: only a handful of villians can compete with Final Fantasy characters, not to mention their rabid fanbase will defend them to the death.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Well i would say he wanted to take Hyrule not only to well have it but to in some way avenge his people.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Wasn't it more desecrated/forsaken than destroyed? Destroyed implies a total destruction thereof, which means that he'd technically have nowhere to live.
LoL! Touche. Okay, took it over. ;) Technically, he got Hyrule destroyed via gods involvement.

Define "Nintendo universe", since FFVI was released on the SNES let us not forget, and Ganondorf doesn't compare to Kefka. If however you mean by Nintendoverse the more traditional cartoony series of in-house games released by Nintendo first party (and some rare third party stuff) then yes, but that's ruling out anything darker than Nintendo's first party stuff.
Strictly in house, first party.

He's evil, no-one is doubting that, but you never really get to see him do anything really all that evil. The really evil villains are either the cool, calculated killers (Sephiroth) who often have a slight mental imbalance or the complete wackos like Kefka. Honestly Ganondorf is one of those villains which I find to always be wanting to destroy the world, manages (in some games) to take it over but in the end he never really ends up doing much that is evil (except some games, OOT for example).
SPOILER WARNING!
Two examples that come to mind in Twilight Princess, the baddest of Ganondorfs. When he was being sealed by the sages, he breaks the chains and decimates a sage. Pretty bad ***, and dark mind you, for a Nintendo character. Example two: possesing Zelda was pretty evil, if you ask me. Same way that Jenova/Sephiroth kinda forced Cloud to give up the black materia. Not exactly the same, but same principle.

Yeah he's one of my favourites, but there's so many good ones to choose from. However Ganondorf is a lot less complex than your average RPG villain. There's no real reason other than him being greedy and power-hungry for him ending up with the Power triforce and attempting to take over the world. Sephiroth for example has an intricate and complex storyline with past events boiling over into the present and all the hoo-hah of RPGs that isn't found in a Zelda game. That's because traditional J-RPGs are first and foremost story-driven whereas more action/adventure RPGs such as Zelda are more about the gameplay.
True, especially the gameplay part. Nothing much to comment on here.

Ridley has some other goals that are expanded upon in say the manga and the Space Pirate logs I'm sure but I'm not knowledgeable enough in the Metroid department to be saying what exactly all that stuff is :(. Ganondorf is pretty much as wafer-thin in the complexity department as you get for villains in all but WW, but in all but WW his sense of evil comes more from the fact in design he's the epitome of badassery. Again I'm not so much trying to downplay Ganondorf as something like Bowser, since clearly his motives are more aimed at destruction than the more cartoony Mario style world, but in terms of evil both he and Ridley still have a long way to go to match up to RPG standards.
I like Bowser a lot, one of my favorite villians as well (despite being a poor villian in comparision to others). But I agree, he's not as "bad ***" as say Ganondorf or Ridley in the "I'm gonna eff you up" dept.

I forgot about the pirate logs in Prime (still need to beat that... effin artifacts).

Not much else to say right now (upstairs in an office with no A/C. Pretty draining).

Oh and flaming only occurs when the other side starts making ******** remarks, so I don't believe it'll be necessary here :).
Good to know. ;)

Nah, Ganondorf has always struck me as a pretty selfish ***, he wanted hyrule for himself, not for his people. It certainly didn't seem like he was thinking of his people when he wished that the Triforce handed Hyrule over to him.
I thought it was mentioned in WW that he wanted the land for his people. I could be very wrong on this. It's been a while since I played WW.

Zelda & Metroid aren't really rpgs, nor are they story driven, but let's be honest here: only a handful of villians can compete with Final Fantasy characters, not to mention their rabid fanbase will defend them to the .
Zelda's pretty story driven. O_o Certainly more so than Metroid.

And yeah, FF fanboys are a viscious bunch. I have retired from that little group. ;)

Well i would say he wanted to take Hyrule not only to well have it but to in some way avenge his people.
I'd agree with that.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
OMFG not walls of pain!!!!

Ridley is just evil to be evil. The Space Pirates found him on Zebes and they were like, "Hey, you want to join our gang? We kill people by the thousands and just do generally evil stuff."

Then Ridley was like, "Nah, son. I'm making me some pancakes right now, but maybe later. Y'know, after I find a way to repopulate my species and all."

Then the Space Pirates replied, "Ahh dude, that's a shame. We were just about to go noob lynchin' on the neighboring planet."

Ridley responded, "**** the pancakes, let's go beat some noob ***!"

Then the pirates were all like, "Hell yeah! We'll make you senior general captain ultimate badass if you'd like. That means, if you die in battle, we get to resurrect you and make you even more badass then before."

Ridley, surprised, responded, "Senior general captain ultimate badass eh? Oh right. I think this is the beginning of a great friendship."

And that is how it all began. As you can see, Ridley's story and personality is much more complex then one might, at first, imagine. He far surpasses Ganondorf and Bowser in super evil villainryism.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629

Ridley is just evil to be evil. The Space Pirates found him on Zebes and they were like, "Hey, you want to join our gang? We kill people by the thousands and just do generally evil stuff."

Then Ridley was like, "Nah, son. I'm making me some pancakes right now, but maybe later. Y'know, after I find a way to repopulate my species and all."

Then the Space Pirates replied, "Ahh dude, that's a shame. We were just about to go noob lynchin' on the neighboring planet."

Then the pirates were all like, "Hell yeah! We'll make you senior general captain ultimate badass if you'd like. That means, if you die in battle, we get to resurrect you and make you even more badass then before."

Ridley, surprised, responded, "Senior general captain ultimate badass eh? Oh right. I think this is the beginning of a great friendship."

And that is how it all began. As you can see, Ridley's story and personality is much more complex then one might, at first, imagine. He far surpasses Ganondorf and Bowser in super evil villainryism.

<(O_o)>~Kirby says, "WTF?"

I could easily see that happening to Ridley. He seems like a man who likes his pancakes.

Nergal

Smash Journeyman

Well said.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom