• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remaking the Smash Bros. series from the ground-up!

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Job 34: Fulgore(Killer Instinct)

Fulgore will be a good choice due to being a mascot of another fighting game.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Kameo

Alot of the favorite choices are taken so going with what would be Rares latest major game at the time.

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Here are the Rare-developed characters nominated for Job #34!
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Battletoads
  • King K. Rool
  • Joanna Dark
  • Conker
  • Fulgore
  • Kameo
Vote for your top 2, with yours below 1st:
  1. Joanna Dark
  2. Banjo & Kazooie
Discussion #7: Starter Pokémon and Pokémon Trainer
One of the most interesting additions to Brawl's roster was the Pokémon Trainer, a 3-in-1 swap character representing the different types and evolutionary levels of starter Pokémon. While a cool concept, I feel that how it was implemented left a lot to be desired, not just in terms of the rather baffling mechanics added for the Brawl iteration of the Trainer (those being type matchups and stamina, both of which were dropped when the Trainer retuned for Ultimate) or the imbalance of Pokémon type representation in Ultimate resulting from later Pokémon fighters (those being the fully-evolved Kalos Water-type starter Greninja and the fully-evolved Alola Fire-type starter Incineroar), but also in terms of the specific Pokémon that make up the Trainer's team - those being Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard.
1690986542662.png

Don't get me wrong, the Kanto starters are definitely iconic, but having all three of them at once while there were already three Kanto Pokémon established as fighters (those being Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo) definitely tilted things too far into Kanto's favor in terms of Pokémon series representation in both Brawl and Ultimate (heck, I'd argue that even just Charizard returning in Sm4sh was already pushing it, since Mewtwo would make up for its absence from Brawl via Sm4sh's DLC while Pikachu and Jigglypuff were established mainstays from the original 12 at that point).

For this discussion, I'd like you to provide your ideas for a more balanced approach toward starter Pokémon representation in this version of the Super Smash Bros. series, as well as whether or not we should keep the Trainer (and if we do, which game they should debut in and which Pokémon their team should consist of).

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
  1. Banjo
  2. King K. Rool
For Pokémon Trainer, I’d say have his team consist of Totodile, Grovyle and Charizard for the sake of representing Generations 1, 2 and 3. It also helps that the DS Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games, which released around roughly the same time as Brawl, feature Grovyle as a central character, so he has at least that much relevancy to justify his inclusion.

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Voting for King K.Rool and Banjo and Kazooie

I’m neurtral on the idea of the trainer. On one hand, I want Lugia in the roaster. On the other hand, seeing a Hoenn trainer consisting of Torchic, Grovyle and Swampert would be fun as well.

I’ll just say 50/50 on that idea

Pupp135

Smash Champion
1. Banjo
2. K. Rool

If this is allowed, I’d like to nominate having Pokemon Trainer work like in Ultimate

ShadicMCGS

Smash Apprentice
  1. Banjo and Kazooie
  2. King K. Rool
I'd say keep the Trainer because it does provide a unique concept for a fighter (and Zelda and Sheik are probably gonna be separated in the next game), so I do think it's best we keep Trainer. However, we would probably rework other aspects of the Trainer, like the elemental knockback.

As for the Pokémon, I'm torn on either Gen 1 or 3, since 2 has Scizor and 4 will probably have Lucario.

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
  • Banjo & Kazooie - 18
  • Battletoads - 0
  • King K. Rool - 8
  • Joanna Dark - 4
  • Conker - 0
  • Fulgore - 0
  • Kameo - 0
Banjo & Kazooie and King K. Rool have been chosen as Rare's newcomers!

As for the Pokémon Trainer, I've already made up my mind that if they're added, they won't have the stamina or type matchup gimmicks they had in the real-life version of Brawl (also, they'd have male and female alts to begin with). As for the specific Pokémon they'd use, I'd personally go with either a team of Piplup, Grovyle, and Charizard (if all 3 are from different generations) or one of Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken (if all 3 are from the same generation). Though if I had to choose one team to submit, it'd be the latter, as I have a few non-starter Pokémon in mind for potential Gen 4 representatives.

From the looks of it, though, it seems like most if not all of us are in favor of keeping the Pokémon Trainer around, so here are the options for their Pokémon team (self-votes are allowed)!
  • Totodile, Grovyle, and Charizard
  • Torchic, Grovyle, and Swampert
  • Charizard, Feraligatr, and Sceptile
  • Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard
  • Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken
Job #35: Submit a fighter from a Nintendo game released on the Nintendo GameCube
I'll be going with Olimar from the Pikmin series.
1691044534897.png

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Job 36: John Raimi (Geist)
images (6) (11).jpeg

This once human turned ghostly spirit can possess literally anything from objects to animals to humans which I think could make for a fun gimmicky fighter.

Imagine him possessing a Pokeball or a Home Run Bat and it straight up attacks you!

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Champion
I’ll nominate Bowser Jr.

For pokemon, I’ll vote Totedile, Grovyle, Charizard

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Mr. Resetti

Not sure if Animal Crossing counts since it technically released on n64 1st but gamecube saw 2 enhanced rereleases & an international release.

Know at the time there is debate around the peaceful series characters fighting but Mr. Resetti is pretty recognizable & antagonistic plus has access to his pick axe in addition to general Animal Crossing series elements which could offer some unique potential.

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
  • Totodile, Grovyle, and Charizard - 4
  • Torchic, Grovyle, and Swampert - 1
  • Charizard, Feraligatr, and Sceptile - 0
  • Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard - 0
  • Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken - 1
The Pokemon Trainer's team will be Totodile, Grovyle, and Charizard!

Now onto the GameCube characters. Vote for your top 3, with yours below 1st:
  • Olimar (Pikmin)
  • John Raimi (Geist)
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Ike (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance)
  • Bowser Jr. (Super Mario Sunshine)
  • Mr. Resetti (Animal Crossing)
  • Krystal (Star Fox Adventures)
My votes are:
  1. Ike
  2. Olimar
  3. Chibi-Robo
Discussion #8: Brawl's Stages
How many stages (both new and old) should we include in this version of Brawl, and what would be a good stage-fighter-series ratio for stage distribution?

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Ike
Olimar
Krystal

35 new stages and 12 returning sounds good.

In terms of ratios, I’m fine with something like Brawl where the playable franchises have a stage, and other stages are kind of added in a case by case basis.

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
  • Olimar - 15
  • John Raimi - 4
  • Chibi-Robo - 5
  • Ike - 7
  • Bowser Jr. - 1
  • Mr. Resetti - 0
  • Krystal - 4
Olimar, Ike, and Chibi-Robo have been added to the roster!

Also, we'll be going with the number of stages proposed by Pupp135 Pupp135 , that being 35 new stages and 12 past stages. As for the stage-fighter-series ratio:
  • Each series with a fighter will get at least 1 new stage (Additional stages will be decided on a case-by-case basis).
  • Each past stage will come from a different series and will avoid having clashing themes with each other or the new stages.
Job #36: Submit a fighter from a Smash veterans' series that hasn't gotten a newcomer yet
I'll go with the bane of the real-life Brawl's competitive scene: Meta Knight from the Kirby series.
1691144108584.png

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Are previous Assists on the table if not will change.

Popular Zelda character who even reappeared in the latest entry at the time.

Last edited:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
  • Meta Knight
  • Poochy
  • Impa
  • Lucas
  • Midna
  • Skull Kid
  • Wolf
Vote for your top 3, with yours below 1st:
  1. Wolf