• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remaining Characters Unlockable Through Wii U Transfer

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Is there any other reason for this stupid idea? Especially considering that this isn't a game which supports 3DS vs. Wii U matches.

I am sorry, but I hate this opinion the most right now, that 3DS and Wii U should have the same roster. No, just no, and I can provide you a simple question to explain why:
You literally support that no Ice Climbers at all are better than Ice Climbers only on Wii U. You want that no people can enjoy their favourite characters from Melee/Brawl simply because you don't want to afford the second game.
Does that mean, for example, if I can't a Xbox One for Hypothetical Banjo Threeie no one should get it? No.

And finally: What is so bad about a different roster...man 3DS ****s up everything :/
I want both versions to have the same roster. Why? Because Nintendo look like big money munchers right now for having people have to buy a New 3DS for stuff like a Smash c-stick. And what would make them look even more money munchers? By having people buy both smashes just for some characters.
Also, if anything the WiiU is the one messing up the 3DS version by it getting in the way of the first portable smash.

Last edited:

NintendoSmashBrother

Smash Cadet
Regardless if the both versions have the same roster statement wasn't said Ice Climbers would be in Wii U but for the next iteration of Smash I assume it's safe to say Ice Climbers will be in.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Has anyone seen this? To me it seems really believable but I'm not sure...
Those three are apparently their Smash 4 trophy models; Lucas' is the most noticeable, what with the awkward bit of his shoulders and arms being in frame in kind of a 'sloppy' way, if that makes sense.

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49048871/smashtextures.txt
Just checked, all playable characters have around 100 textures give or take. They also have at least a few textures with the 'char_' extention. Lucas, Mewtwo, and Wolf have 7 textures (Wolf has 14). All of them with a 'fig_' extension which goes to trophies. If they did exist, they would need to have some textures with 'char_' extensions or some sort.

NintendoSmashBrother

Smash Cadet
The person said you could get it by linking Wii U to 3DS it is also possible the characters are in development and the textures could be added in a patch.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
I say this is fake because of where the characters are placed. Mewtwo would be with the rest of them pokemon, Lucas would be next to Ness, and wolf would be next to Falco. Ik the clones and 3rd party have there own little section, but dlc not so much.

But who knows this could be real but I don't think so.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
I really can't even begin to understand why most people here are opposed to the idea of getting more characters through the Wii U version. All the 3DS version has done is limit production/possibilities as a whole from the start. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to purchase both versions, but if you're asking that Wii U owners be content with having all of the characters and game mechanics essentially being spoiled just so that you don't feel like you're getting shorted, then that's absolutely ridiculous.

And who's to say that they'll make you purchase both versions in order to have all of the characters become available? The way I see it, I believe that they're just going to make more characters available for download on 3DS once the Wii U version is released, not necessarily making you own both versions. Nintendo is going to want to create more of an incentive for consumers to purchase the Wii U version beyond having different stages and game modes. Somehow, I don't believe that's going to be enough for a lot of consumers to invest in another version of the game. Then you have to take into account that Nintendo is much more concerned about driving Wii U sales than 3DS sales, and the last thing Nintendo is going to do is release the 3DS version first, leaving no surprises in store for the Wii U version as far as characters and game mechanics are concerned (the things most Smash fans care about the most), when it could possibly be a detriment to the Wii U version.

Shog

Smash Ace
tl;dr at all actually, dat bad formatting

Maybe you will write less if I write less, too?

I rather have Wii U has Ice Climbers than not having them because the character isn't cut in this Smash Generation so to speak.
Furthermore...
am I annoyed that Wii U doesn't have Smash Run? No. So why shouldn't have the Wii U have more characters which were cut because of mechanics like the Ice Climber one?(Or any other good reason which makes the char. bad /not working on 3DS)

OtakuDJK1NG

Smash Rookie
NNID
DJK1NG
3DS FC
4725-8393-6525
I just leave this here.

Iwata Quote:
"And one thing Nintendo has determined as a company policy, what we are not going to do is create a full game and then say, ‘let's hold this back for DLC.' That's not our plan. We're definitely not doing that. It's an extreme example, but I think there are examples of games where you get that initial purchase — the very core part of the game — and everything else around it is all DLC. However, if you do that I believe customers will have no motivation to go out and buy the retail package to begin with."

NintendoSmashBrother

Smash Cadet
I just leave this here.

Iwata Quote:
"And one thing Nintendo has determined as a company policy, what we are not going to do is create a full game and then say, ‘let's hold this back for DLC.' That's not our plan. We're definitely not doing that. It's an extreme example, but I think there are examples of games where you get that initial purchase — the very core part of the game — and everything else around it is all DLC. However, if you do that I believe customers will have no motivation to go out and buy the retail package to begin with."
That is just more support for the Wii U transfer theory to me.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
That pic with Lucas, Wolf, and MewTwo is incredibly fake..... what someone needs to do is look on the NA/EU/*** Box and see if it mentions DLC on the back of the box; every game I've owned that had DLC included the ole, "Downloadable Content" text on it. If it isn't there, I'd doubt we're getting DLC.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
That pic with Lucas, Wolf, and MewTwo is incredibly fake..... what someone needs to do is look on the NA/EU/*** Box and see if it mentions DLC on the back of the box; every game I've owned that had DLC included the ole, "Downloadable Content" text on it. If it isn't there, I'd doubt we're getting DLC.
Mariokart 8 doesn't and it has DLC.

NintendoSmashBrother

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't say it is fake based on a box of a game that hasn't even came out for NA or EU but I will remind myself to check the box.

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
Fire Emblem: Awakening doesn't have a "downloadable content" text/tag on it...

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I just leave this here.

Iwata Quote:
Mario Golf for 3ds is a full game well worth the price. Nintendo immediately announced season passes for DLC.

Mario Kart 8 is a full game well worth the price. They announced DLC 3 months after. Their plan is to not release a game that isn't complete. DLC is just good for their business and is what the fans want.

Case-scenario: Smash is already a complete game especially given the roster count. 1 or 8 more characters for DLC doesn't make Smash a less complete "full" game. There's reps from all the franchises that's already been in Smash.

Last edited:

NintendoSmashBrother

Smash Cadet
Mario Tennis for 3ds is a full game well worth the price. Nintendo immediately announced season passes for DLC.

Mario Kart 8 is a full game well worth the price. They announced DLC 3 months after. Their plan is to not release a game that isn't complete. DLC is just good for their business and is what the fans want.

Case-scenario: Smash is already a complete game especially given the roster count. 1 or 8 more characters for DLC doesn't make Smash a less complete "full" game. There's reps from all the franchises that's already been in Smash.
I agree with this post but another thing is DLC can be used as a time to develop characters cut because of time constraints.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I want this to be real so badly. If it meant Wolf would be playable I would gladly take him with his less detailed assault module over his detailed brawl module. The lack of Wolf's brawl module is mysterious, but only one of two full body modules for Wolf ( the other is his assault look). This picture could be Photoshopped, but hopefully it isn't. No Mii fighter unlocked ( or customization is off). If this is legit then the guy who took this photo must post game play footage of Wolf, Lucas, and Mewtwo. I don't know how he could unlock these characters through Wii U transfer ( since the game's not out yet). However he could be another defective employee of Nintendo. If this any any future leaks like this occur, they must be accompanied by game play footage. As for the placement of these characters, 1 the clones have their own section so why can't DLC/ Wii U transfer characters have their own section. 2. There can still be one more character ( possibly intended to be Ice Climbers ). Its possible that Wolf, Mewtwo, and Lucas weren't originally intended to be Wii U transfer/DLC characters, but due to time constraints had to be( and possibly there could have been characters like maybe Ridley who were intended to be transfer characters from the get go) . As for the hacked files, A patch could add in the missing textures, Wolf has 7 textures while Lucas and Mewtwo have 4 I think someone said, thus meaning that at least Wolf was developed a bit further than the other two. My Hype is returning. I hope we get legit video footage of Wolf, Mewtwo, and Lucas in Smash bros 3ds very soon.

NintendoSmashBrother

Smash Cadet
I want this to be real so badly. If it meant Wolf would be playable I would gladly take him with his less detailed assault module over his detailed brawl module. The lack of Wolf's brawl module is mysterious, but only one of two full body modules for Wolf ( the other is his assault look). This picture could be Photoshopped, but hopefully it isn't. No Mii fighter unlocked ( or customization is off). If this is legit then the guy who took this photo must post game play footage of Wolf, Lucas, and Mewtwo. I don't know how he could unlock these characters through Wii U transfer ( since the game's not out yet). However he could be another defective employee of Nintendo. If this any any future leaks like this occur, they must be accompanied by game play footage. As for the placement of these characters, 1 the clones have their own section so why can't DLC/ Wii U transfer characters have their own section. 2. There can still be one more character ( possibly intended to be Ice Climbers ). Its possible that Wolf, Mewtwo, and Lucas weren't originally intended to be Wii U transfer/DLC characters, but due to time constraints had to be( and possibly there could have been characters like maybe Ridley who were intended to be transfer characters from the get go) . As for the hacked files, A patch could add in the missing textures, Wolf has 7 textures while Lucas and Mewtwo have 4 I think someone said, thus meaning that at least Wolf was developed a bit further than the other two. My Hype is returning. I hope we get legit video footage of Wolf, Mewtwo, and Lucas in Smash bros 3ds very soon.
I understand if people don't post video footage because they could still be developing characters so I wouldn't ask for video footage yet. Also I wouldn't expect Ice Climbers due to 3DS limitations.

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I just leave this here.

Iwata Quote:
That doesn't deconfirm DLC. That only means the DLC will take a bit longer to come.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Mario Tennis for 3ds is a full game well worth the price. Nintendo immediately announced season passes for DLC.

I think you mean Mario Golf World Tour, Mario Tennis Open kind of had DLC. You had to unlock the Yoshi's and Metal Mario by scanning QR codes which didn't cost a penny. Although the QR codes were released at different times in the year so they weren't all available from the start.

OtakuDJK1NG

Smash Rookie
NNID
DJK1NG
3DS FC
4725-8393-6525
Considering the time the Wii U version comes out the transfer for characters could be worked on at that time.
There no evidence or confirmation of transfer character.

It only custom movesets on characters that will be exchange between the two version.

NintendoSmashBrother

Smash Cadet
I said could and the Wii U version isn't out yet so no one knows except for the people working on the game if it is only custom moveset exchange or more.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
There no evidence or confirmation of transfer character.

It only custom movesets on characters that will be exchange between the two version.
There's no deconfirmation that the Wii U won't connect to the 3DS and transfer characters, either. If enough people are clamoring, begging, and nigh demanding that the Wii U gets more characters then hopefully Nintendo listens. People who buy the 3DS version get a new Smash game months before Wii U owners. They get to enjoy a majority of the characters. I see no reason the Wii U owners who spent far more money for their version of the game shouldn't get something substantial like new characters before the 3DS does.

To me by the logic of "No they should have the same roster" is like saying "No they should both release at the same time so us Wii U owners don't have to wait to play. ;-;" Both are silly and unfair to the other playerbase. You pay less money for Smash Lite, I see no reason why it's so horrible that you'd get a little less content. People are obviously going to want more out of the game than just modes for buying the Wii U version. HD graphics are nice, and stages, but the main draw of Smash is the characters.

NintendoSmashBrother

Smash Cadet
There's no deconfirmation that the Wii U won't connect to the 3DS and transfer characters, either. If enough people are clamoring, begging, and nigh demanding that the Wii U gets more characters then hopefully Nintendo listens. People who buy the 3DS version get a new Smash game months before Wii U owners. They get to enjoy a majority of the characters. I see no reason the Wii U owners who spent far more money for their version of the game shouldn't get something substantial like new characters before the 3DS does.

To me by the logic of "No they should have the same roster" is like saying "No they should both release at the same time so us Wii U owners don't have to wait to play. ;-;" Both are silly and unfair to the other playerbase. You pay less money for Smash Lite, I see no reason why it's so horrible that you'd get a little less content. People are obviously going to want more out of the game than just modes for buying the Wii U version. HD graphics are nice, and stages, but the main draw of Smash is the characters.
I agree completely I think Nintendo will have the transfer it is the best way to have customers buy the Wii U.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
I agree completely I think Nintendo will have the transfer it is the best way to have customers buy the Wii U.
Yeah, and I'm not even saying the 3DS would never get these supposed extra characters. Just that the Wii U should come with more out the box as incentive for buying that version and for those who plunked down money for it or both the 3DS and Wii U games. Heck, maybe they will have the same exact rosters... outside of this "linking both versions" thing. Perhaps thats what they meant? Won't be able to tell until the Wii U version comes out. However they seemed to know the 3DS version would launch first, understandably. I'd hope they realize how showing all newcomers well before the Wii U release via the 3DS could kill hype for the U version. Otherwise others, or at least me, will be thinking twice before buying it if at all.

NintendoSmashBrother

Smash Cadet
Yeah, and I'm not even saying the 3DS would never get these supposed extra characters. Just that the Wii U should come with more out the box as incentive for buying that version and for those who plunked down money for it or both the 3DS and Wii U games. Heck, maybe they will have the same exact rosters... outside of this "linking both versions" thing. Perhaps thats what they meant? Won't be able to tell until the Wii U version comes out. However they seemed to know the 3DS version would launch first, understandably. I'd hope they realize how showing all newcomers well before the Wii U release via the 3DS could kill hype for the U version. Otherwise others, or at least me, will be thinking twice before buying it if at all.
If Ridley, Mewtwo, Lucas,and Wolf aren't in via the Wii U it may stop me from buying the console but it'd be a poor business choice of Sakurai and Nintendo.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535

Smash 3DS is no doubt gonna get less content anyway.
Not to mention, Smash U and Smash 3DS are both Smash 4, why should they have different rosters?

NintendoSmashBrother

Smash Cadet
Not to mention, Smash U and Smash 3DS are both Smash 4, why should they have different rosters?
The Wii U version is held back because of the 3DS version and the Wii U needs saving so I would expect Nintendo to pull any move they can to get those consoles sold. So putting in characters like Mewtwo,Ridley,Wolf,Lucas among others that you need a Wii U to get can get the units sold.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
Why should they have the same rosters? Should MK7 get an update that adds all of MK8s tracks and features just because MK8 came out later on a different console? Do you see how silly it sounds?

NintendoSmashBrother

Smash Cadet
Why should they have the same rosters? Should MK7 get an update that adds all of MK8s tracks and features just because MK8 came out later on a different console? Do you see how silly it sounds?
Also considering the Ice Climbers were cut because of the 3DS and Wii U could run them.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Uh what? MK7 and 8 are not paired games. MK8 is a sequel to MK7. Smash Bros 4 3DS and Wii U are paired games and shares stuff, but are not sequels to each other. Apples and oranges

I mean, I'm on your side that I don't care about the roster being different (although Id imagine 3DS owners being pissed), but that comparison seriously does not work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom