• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remaining Characters Unlockable Through Wii U Transfer

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Based on the videos streamed so far, it seems to me like we may end up with four empty slots in the roster once all of the characters have been unlocked. This leads me to speculate that there might be four more characters that are released with the Wii U version that are then downloaded to the 3DS through the Wii U menu option.

Comments?

[Update]

Some guy's claiming this same thing but saying he has a source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=129524882&postcount=14153

Also, patches have been confirmed for the game:
http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-wiiu-3ds-miiverse-daily-pic-september-12th.367424

Here's a quote with a good point against this idea:
http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-wiiu-3ds-miiverse-daily-pic-september-12th.367424/
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1972435/super_smash_bros_the_difference_between_wii_u_3ds_versions.html
"Fundamentally we’re going to have the same characters on both systems," said Sakurai. "If there was a character you couldn’t play on Wii U but you could play on 3DS, or vice versa, that’s rough for consumers."

"So we want players to be able to have the same character experiences on both devices."

The idea behind this is to enable customers to have the same experience regardless of personal platform preference.
"I don’t have a preference whether they own the Wii U version or the 3DS version or both versions," Sakurai told us. "It’s sort of like what I talk about with the game creation philosophy itself – I really want the end user, the game player themselves, to find what they like and really just go with that."
The argument against this quote is that it's Nintendo, not Sakurai, making these calls and that the interview is from June of 2013, before January 2014 when Iwata announced that Nintendo was looking into new business models to raise revenue for the company.

Looks like the game download is only half of the size we were told it would be. This supports the DLC theory.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Or it could be one more slot called "DLC". Like other fighting games do. In that case, the number isn't limited to only four.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
This is such a stupid idea. This would force people who want to play all characters to not only have both consoles, but both games. If they do this I will be extremely disappointed in Sakurai

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
It's possible, it's definitely a way to include more characters in the Wii U version while keeping the statement that all characters will be in both versions of the game true. But it's also a bit of a stretch and pure speculation as of now.

The roster is great IMO - anything above is just a bonus.

Triblaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Triblaze0
Yeah, most likely through downloadable update or Wii U transfer, it would be terrible for anyone that didn't have a Wii U to not let them get characters.

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
This is such a stupid idea. This would force people who want to play all characters to not only have both consoles, but both games. If they do this I will be extremely disappointed in Sakurai
Stupid from an end-consumer perspective sure but pretty smart from a business standpoint - and pretty common too. Most games across consoles give some incentive to pick up multiple copies of the same game. Smash does have different levels but I was always surprised they didn't have different characters in too.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Remember when you bought two versions of pokemon to catch them all? :D

Also heres a better/worse idea: Buying amiibos of potential DLC characters = in game as playable.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
It doesn't necessarily mean that you would need a 3DS to have all characters on Wii U, you know...

Anyway, Nintendo needs to get as many people to buy a Wii U as possible, so I won't be surprised if there are some things to incentivize people to get the Wii U version.

One thing I imagine is maybe having more characters on the Wii U but only releasing them as DLC to 3DS after a month or two.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Never really thought about it, but maybe you're right.
Like how Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour and Advanced Tour did. (Or maybe it was Mario Golf 64 and the GBC one) That game had 4 extra characters to unlock on the console version only after transferring from the other.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If they do this, I will contempt the idea of selling the game and giving up on Smash Bros. I am not buying a Wii U to have all the characters.

I am all for downloadable content, but "Wii U transfer"? No, thanks.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I think it's like...1000 times more dissapointing not having Ridley, and it would force these so-called 'Nintendo Fans' who don't want a Wii U to buy it.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
I have thought this a possibility for a while now. I hold out hope, but am resigned to the current roster.

ChooChoo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4399-0342-2350
If this is confirmed or not denied by the 2nd, I'm canceling my preorder. I'd rather have this roster than being treated like scum by EA Nintendo.

Batavus

Smash Rookie
If you have to have a Wii U + Smash Bros. to get all characters, I'd be extremely disappointed. Characters through DLCs is more likely imo.

Last edited:

Hibashira

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4811-7715-1152
Pokémon type version exclusive character actually make sense, considering Nintendo needs to push Wii u sales. Or at least Amiibo sales, which have little reason to be bought as of what we know, at least from what I can tell.

I mean, Nintendo isn't known for DLC. If they suddently came out and said "Buy Ridley's amiibo to get him as character" everyone would call fault.

But if they tried to sell you Ridley on 3DS for the price of a Wii U plus another copy of Smash, and only after that gave you the option to just unlock him by buying his Amiibo. The Amiibo would come off less as EA-style DLC and more as an cheap way to get a suposed version exclusive character.

Btw, incase anyone's wondering; I'm not saying this due to being in denial that Ridley isn't there or some other silly, shallow reason. While it is true that I want him in the game, I'm still reserving judgement until every possibility has been explored, and I find that this whole DLC related business is a legitimate angle to consider before slamming the disconfirmation hammer once and for all. No matter how desperate of a grasping-at-straws or out of character for Nintendo this line of thinking may seem, I still believe it should be brought to attention to avoid wrong decisions.

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Remember guys, Sakurai wanted to release the fullest most complete game possible! This roster is representative of that ideology.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
So are you guys who don't want it saying you rather not have the characters at all instead of them being bonuses to the people who bought both versions? Because thats exactly what you're saying and it honestly sounds a little selfish.

It's a smart business move on nintendo's part and great for the people who have both. I think it's also a possablity that their paid dlc for those who don't have both while those who do can get them for free that way. That would be great for everybody.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
So are you guys who don't want it saying you rather not have the characters at all instead of them being bonuses to the people who bought both versions? Because thats exactly what you're saying and it honestly sounds a little selfish.

It's a smart business move on nintendo's part and great for the people who have both. I think it's also a possablity that their paid dlc for those who don't have both while those who do can get them for free that way. That would be great for everybody.
It would be great for everybody.
That's exactly why it won't happen.
You know what else would have been great for everybody? Mewtwo and Ridley.
But nope.

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
The idea is interesting on some aspects, but outside of the incomplete CSS and the weird lack of any presence of the "hyped" characters a-la Mewtwo, there isn't much to support it.
I honestly don't know how to feel about it : from a business standpoint, having extremely requested characters to market the other version of the game is a good idea, but in a way, it just feels like blackmail to me, especially if people need both versions to have them. That and I don't think Nintendo is good enough in marketing to have these kind of ideas.

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
It's a little bit more than just not having 1 or 2 characters included. I feel like this roster has taken swings at people by taking out a multitude of veterans, it contradicted Sakurai once stating he was trying to avoid clone characters (Removing some, to add some that for the most part weren't asked for), and then not including one of the few most requested remaining characters.

Then above all, says he wants a full complete game released... and with rumors floating around that suggests you didn't get the full game. You have to buy the Wii U to get the full game.

It's all kinds of ****ed up. And I'm sure I didn't even summarize it well.

Last edited:

ChooChoo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4399-0342-2350
So are you guys who don't want it saying you rather not have the characters at all instead of them being bonuses to the people who bought both versions?
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying.
If I'm paying for a game, I'm entitled to access its content, either from the start or as a reward for my in-game merits. Paying 40-60 for another version of the same game doesn't qualify as either.
Am I selfish? Why, because I don't want to be exploited like this? It is WAY more selfish to be okay with people having locked content just because you can unlock it (which, wouldn't come as a surprise, probably is your case).

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Maybe it wasn't even his decision to make. It would be a "****" move, but on the other hand, would help increase Wii U numbers.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Actually, releasing DLC and making it free IF you have both versions would be a win-win situation for Nintendo and the fans. But still, Ridley...

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Anyways, in before all the Nintendo/Sakurai apologists come in to defend them.

I'm bitter, PEACE!

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I have no problem with the wii u version getting more characters
- it's more expensive
- and comes out later
- and is not on a handheld

I consider these characters a "bonus" for the 3ds version.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
It would be great for everybody.
That's exactly why it won't happen.
You know what else would have been great for everybody? Mewtwo and Ridley.
But nope.
Everybody except people who didn't want or care about those characters. Which is probably a majority of people who will buy the game.

Also, this isn't going to happen; the whole point of having the same rosters is specifically so you don't have to buy both versions to have all the characters. DLC is a possibility but this isn't unless Nintendo wants to be the next EA/Capcom.

Last edited:

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
There has to be a reason the Wii U game is released months after the 3DS.

The superior version will shine through the dark(pit)est of clouds and things won't seem so gloomy after all.

Really though idk how anyone could be that hyped for the 3ds version after watching that stream.. the stage selection alone was depressing..

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The only thing I can see is that it's like "Transfarring" that the Metal Gear Collection used and other games where you can transfer your progress between systems. So, players won't have to deal with unlocking the same characters, trophies, and modes again.

The only thing I can think of for "having the same characters on both systems" is this: the 3DS has almost all the characters while the Wii U has the rest. Since it'd be stupid to only have stages and perhaps Assist Trophies left to reveal over the next couple of months, the Wii U's updates will include characters that won't be available to both games until the Wii U's release. That means, there are locked characters that may or may not be in the 3DS game files, but are in the Wii U's.

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
I feel stupid for hating this roster so much when in reality I'm probably just mad at myself for spoiling it, lol.

Ridley and Mewtwo being in would put a lot of people at ease I think.
Ice Climbers need to come back just because the feels...

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying.
If I'm paying for a game, I'm entitled to access its content, either from the start or as a reward for my in-game merits. Paying 40-60 for another version of the same game doesn't qualify as either.
Am I selfish? Why, because I don't want to be exploited like this? It is WAY more selfish to be okay with people having locked content just because you can unlock it (which, wouldn't come as a surprise, probably is your case).
But smash 3ds is already a full game as it is, you're still getting your full game just people who spend 120+ get a few extra characters for getting both...and as i said ideally it would be paid dlc but owning both copys would net you it for free.

Also i find it more selfish for someone to wish for no one to have something just because he can't currently, then someone to wish for something everyone has the POSSABILITY of getting.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I am now praying for a "Wii U release commemoration" update that adds characters, periodic updates that adds characters, and DLC characters. Oh, how low have I fallen...

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Wii U: Chorus Men, Ridley, Dixie and Mewtwo.
3DS: DHD, Bowser Jr, Dark Pit, Dr Mario

They actually fit into the 3DS roster nicely.

http://i.imgur.com/PliZwku.png

and can support DLC nicely.

http://i.imgur.com/JajAywn.png

Next, none of the above newcomers have trailers revealed. Its possible none of these characters have trailers at all, as they are version exclusives.This would explain a lot in this sense.

Nintendo needs incentives to sell both games. They do this often, with games like Pokemon series. Having unlockable characters by owning both versions is one of the best ways to push both games. Especially when they need to push sales on the Wii U. It would actually make less sense to not include a feature like this from a marketing standpoint.

We have not seen trophies of either of the 4 Wii U characters yet. I know Karate Joe doesnt have a symbol, but the series symbols are overlayed behind the text, and this can be an easy fix with a future patch. For that matter, the polar bear does't have a symbol, yet many believe ICs are a strong candidate for DLC. If you belief they can be DLC, then you'd have to believe having no symbol now means nothing at the moment.

For this to be true, Gematsu would have to be true. Gematsu failed to account for the 3DS exclusive characters. Its very possible the leaker only had inside information with the Wii U version's marketing.

Then we have the /v/ leaker, who claimed these characters are in the game. Please refer to this thread for more details. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/70028141

Lastly....if this is true, then this means the 4 characters above are indeed in the games files. While 3DS hacking is difficult, it has been done, and I'd assume it wont be long before people start digging into the games coding. We won't have to wait long to know for sure.

This user claims his source is reliable
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=129524882#post129524882

ChooChoo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4399-0342-2350
But smash 3ds is already a full game as it is, you're still getting your full game just people who spend 120+ get a few extra characters for getting both...and as i said ideally it would be paid dlc but owning both copys would net you it for free.

Also i find it more selfish for someone to wish for no one to have something just because he can't currently, then someone to wish for something everyone has the POSSABILITY of getting.
It isn't a full game if characters are in the cartridge but not available because... well, Nintendo want more money.
Everyone has the possibility? Sure, although 300+ euros is not a cheap possibility. It should be unlockable content or DLC at most. Connectivity should be reduced to quickening customization settings and unlocking exclusive costumes, not used for getting gameplay-changing elements.
And I believe you missed my point. I'm not against Wii U owners, I'm against Nintendo treating us like trash because this will derive into mid-development games being sold with day-1 DLC, and you're either too blind or naive if you can't see that. I myself have been an advocate of making Climbers a Wii U exclusive, as it's not fair Wii U users won't get them because of "our" handheld version, but refraining users from using content they paid for? Only asterisks can be used to define such a treatment.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Lets say DLC is confirmed tomorrow.

Would it be free for a few days, a week (Like Persona Arena) or some indefinite period (Like the legendary shinies for Soul Silver and Herat Gold?)

I'm not adding a fee option because Sakurai seems like the type of fellow who wants characters being in game to be fair. Stages could have a fee, music maybe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom