• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remaining Characters Unlockable Through Wii U Transfer

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Didn't Sakurai confirm Wonder Red as only a trophy in a pic of the day once? And he said that it was impossible to get Ice Climbers to work on the 3ds. Sorry to be a buzzkill about this. It would be cool though to have all of those characters.
I know, but I think we all agree that having a trophy doesn't stop you from eventually becoming DLC. And I don't really care about the Ice Climbers, but a lot of people want them in and I want the most of us to be happy.

I know their chances are slim, but they have chances nonetheless.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I know, but I think we all agree that having a trophy doesn't stop you from eventually becoming DLC. And I don't really care about the Ice Climbers, but a lot of people want them in and I want the most of us to be happy.

I know their chances are slim, but they have chances nonetheless.
I still think the fact that the:lucas: trophy being his brawl model(as shown by the blue in his eyes) hints at DLC. The fact that from what I can tell :popo::popo:Trophy looks identical to Brawl, and the fact he is saying he had them working on the Wii U but cut them on 3ds really annoys me seeing how you know The Wii U is dying so it would benefit from exclusives. And last but not least :wolf: who has his assault model. These 3 in my mind are either Wii U exclusive or DLC :'D I can Dream.

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
When it comes to the roster, in my opinion, this is the best roster that I have seen out of all the smash games. The only problem that I have with it is that that Lucas, Wolf, and Ice Climbers were cut. When it comes to the trophy theory, many of you guys might be over thinking the situation. Perhaps the reason why those trophies aren't present in the 3ds game is simply because they are exclusively in the Wii U version? Sakurai did state that the 3ds trophies will focus more on handheld games while the Wii U trophies will focus on console trophies. Despite this, and to give the benefit of the doubt, there is a chance that characters will be unlocked through the transfer system. It isn't a 100% certainty, so I wouldn't recommend relying on it. There is always the chance for DLC, which is very likely imo since Mario Kart 8 got it and both that and Smash are the most popular nintendo games right now.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
When it comes to the roster, in my opinion, this is the best roster that I have seen out of all the smash games. The only problem that I have with it is that that Lucas, Wolf, and Ice Climbers were cut. When it comes to the trophy theory, many of you guys might be over thinking the situation. Perhaps the reason why those trophies aren't present in the 3ds game is simply because they are exclusively in the Wii U version? Sakurai did state that the 3ds trophies will focus more on handheld games while the Wii U trophies will focus on console trophies. Despite this, and to give the benefit of the doubt, there is a chance that characters will be unlocked through the transfer system. It isn't a 100% certainty, so I wouldn't recommend relying on it. There is always the chance for DLC, which is very likely imo since Mario Kart 8 got it and both that and Smash are the most popular nintendo games right now.
OBEJECTION haha :p Isaac being missing is the biggest thing that proves the theory correct. Why you may ask? Isaac had been most prominent on the handhelds :D

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
My hype has risen, I didn't know that there was like 1.1 GB left! Imagine the possibilities, character DLC, stage DLC, maybe even more...

espio87

Smash Ace
OBEJECTION haha :p Isaac being missing is the biggest thing that proves the theory correct. Why you may ask? Isaac had been most prominent on the handhelds :D
Well, Golden Sun was released recently on the Virtual Console of the Wii U...
I don't know much about programming, but I've been asking myself if the time difference between the 3DS and Wii U version releases is enough time to program 3-4 characters (considering the 3ds game was finished by august, as sakurai said he just needed extra time for debugging).
As much as we want more characters we should consider all the facts. Sakurai himself said he would add DLC only after the game was done. If Iwata asked him for additional content to boost sales, then shouldn't he need a team for programming the characters appart from the team that's currently working on the Wii U version? I support the theory that we will see additional content, but these doubts of mine are currently draining my hope. :ohwell:

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
Well, Golden Sun was released recently on the Virtual Console of the Wii U...
I don't know much about programming, but I've been asking myself if the time difference between the 3DS and Wii U version releases is enough time to program 3-4 characters (considering the 3ds game was finished by august, as sakurai said he just needed extra time for debugging).
As much as we want more characters we should consider all the facts. Sakurai himself said he would add DLC only after the game was done. If Iwata asked him for additional content to boost sales, then shouldn't he need a team for programming the characters appart from the team that's currently working on the Wii U version? I support the theory that we will see additional content, but these doubts of mine are currently draining my hope. :ohwell:
Who's to say the hypothetical content that's shared between versions wasn't known since the beginning? The 3DS version would obviously need less dev time considering it's being made on a handheld. They'd also, at least logically, want to give the Wii U boosted interest and sales. If there isn't more characters in the Wii U version (that will at some point or by linking the versions be added to 3DS) then I honestly think they're setting up the Wii U version to fail harder than it would have if the 3DS version never existed. If people can get the same exact characters on a system they already own for a fraction of the price, would it really make people want to go buy a Wii U? As much as I love Smash I don't know if I would to be honest. Prettier graphics, a new mode or two, in the end that doesn't mean much to me if I can get the same general experience already.

Plus I really want more surprises and am far too optimistic at times for my own good, thus my Ridley support lives on in an almost zombified state.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
I'm confident we'll get something.... then again, I was confident Dark Pit wasn't playable and Ridley was..... Oh Mashpotato Menuguy, please deliver to the fans...

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I think there's no doubt we're gonna have DLC. The doubt now is what will the DLC have and how will it work. Will it be packs of content like Mario Kart 8 or Hyrule Warriors? Will it be downloaded from the eShop? Will it be free for the ones who purchase the Wii U version?

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
I think there's no doubt we're gonna have DLC. The doubt now is what will the DLC have and how will it work. Will it be packs of content like Mario Kart 8 or Hyrule Warriors? Will it be downloaded from the eShop? Will it be free for the ones who purchase the Wii U version?
Free for those who buy both versions with the content that's on the Wii U being added to the 3DS by linking them seems most logical to me. Boost interest in the Wii U and you get extra content for linking both systems. Perhaps when they said the rosters would be the same they were talking about when linking them, or just eventually? If that's the case Sakurai may not have been as upset about the leak as he would have been since there'd still be characters people didn't see yet.

NintendoSmashBrother

Smash Cadet
That would boost the Wii U sales but I think you would get them from linking then maybe two more weeks and DLC is available to purchase.

Shog

Smash Ace
I don't like this idea at all. The Wii U version and the 3DS version should have identical rosters without needing to have both games. That's one of the reasons why the roster should be universal-
Is there any other reason for this stupid idea? Especially considering that this isn't a game which supports 3DS vs. Wii U matches.

I am sorry, but I hate this opinion the most right now, that 3DS and Wii U should have the same roster. No, just no, and I can provide you a simple question to explain why:
You literally support that no Ice Climbers at all are better than Ice Climbers only on Wii U. You want that no people can enjoy their favourite characters from Melee/Brawl simply because you don't want to afford the second game.
Does that mean, for example, if I can't a Xbox One for Hypothetical Banjo Threeie no one should get it? No.

And finally: What is so bad about a different roster...man 3DS ****s up everything :/

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I think the Ice Climbers would be the only justified character to be Wii U exclusive. All the others should be playable on 3DS too.

NintendoSmashBrother

Smash Cadet
I don't think Wii U should have an exclusive character I think the Wii U transfer to get characters on 3ds is the only incentive necessary to get people to buy a Wii U console.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Ridley & Isaac are the obvious ones. If there's character DLC, they're part of it.

Something that's been bugging me is... Reyn. There's no Reyn trophy, no assist trophy, and rather than being part of Shulk's Final Smash, he's missing in favor of Riki... who's already in the game as an assist. And even in Shulk's reveal video, Shulk says "It's Shulk time!" which is a phrase more associated with Reyn. Part of me is nagging about him.

But I guess you could really use a lot of that logic in regards to other Xenoblade characters like Melia, Fiora or Sharla... But... I dunno. I've got this in my head.

People would say "No way, we'd definitely only have one Xenoblade character for sure!"

But... I'd argue that FE's debut of two characters kind of contradicts it, because it felt like a similar cat in the beginning of that.

We'll see.

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
I don't like the idea of dlc characters in general because it screws with balance and I keep thinking of batgirl and lobo in injustice. But, I have no problem with the idea of characters being wii u only because I decide to get a wii u for smash 4 and such. getting any other console is absolutely silly if you have an anywhere near decent PC. I feel like once people realize that the ps4 and xbox have really no exclusives and everything runs better on PC everyone will just get a PC and maybe a wii u just because it not being possible to play any nintndo games without a ****ing wiiu.

Last edited:

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
i'd be completely fine with this, just want more characters in general so the game has more longevity for me

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
They've already mentioned that they're not gonna have version exclusive characters.

The only logical character I could see ever possibly being exclusive would be Ice Climbers. Even then, that'd be breaking what they've said about keeping playable characters equal, but it'd be a vet that they've already made and tested on both versions, but failing on the 3DS version.

I'd be against any other character being exclusive to either version. As sad as it is to lose Ice Climbers due to the 3DS's limitations, I'm personally one who's moreso excited to own a Smash game on a portable. (i.e: I'm going for the 3DS version more than the WiiU one). Why? My own personal circumstances. It was pretty clear that there were going to be some ups and downs of there being a dual-console Smash with promise of there being the same roster to play with; after seeing all that's good with the game, I'm not going to suddenly condemn the 3DS version due to the loss of one character. (Speaking of characters, Brawl had a starting roster of like 21; while Sm4sh has one of like 36? There's a lot of new here that can easily mitigate my sadness of loss of the old. I could say the same if Sonic were cut.) Sorry for going off on a kind of tangent there, but I basically am going to hold the Smash team to what they've said about keeping the character selection identical, regardless of what good/bad it's brought so far.

I'm looking forward to that crosslinking/DLC thing in the future. I'm pretty sure if they release DLC characters, they would have been tested vs others to mitigate possible imbalances. If not, then they have the power to release patches, especially if they already would have the power to release DLC characters.

espio87

Smash Ace
Would it be possible to add more characters during a patch?
Content patches are confirmed. Sakurai released a patch when the game launched in Japan that added a new mode in Online. But it's a big leap from a game mode to additional characters. I think it more from a business point of view that Nintendo would like to cash in from DLC, therefore making additional characters purchaseable. People would pay for hyped characters like Mewtwo and Ridley, so it would be foolish to release them for free.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
Is there any other reason for this stupid idea? Especially considering that this isn't a game which supports 3DS vs. Wii U matches.

I am sorry, but I hate this opinion the most right now, that 3DS and Wii U should have the same roster. No, just no, and I can provide you a simple question to explain why:
You literally support that no Ice Climbers at all are better than Ice Climbers only on Wii U. You want that no people can enjoy their favourite characters from Melee/Brawl simply because you don't want to afford the second game.
Does that mean, for example, if I can't a Xbox One for Hypothetical Banjo Threeie no one should get it? No.

And finally: What is so bad about a different roster...man 3DS ****s up everything :/
I agree. I do not think the 3DS and Wii U rosters should be identical. I know they said they'd be the same but if the Wii U was going to have all vets plus newcomers I think it should stay that way. Even if some vets are alt costumes. Why should people get the same exact roster and overall the same game for half the price? As I said, if there are no extra characters on the Wii U version people may just feel they can stick with the 3DS one. Why spend 300-400 bucks when you can get Smash on a system you already own or spend only 150-200 for?

Let the 3DS version be all it ever should have been, Smash Lite. Let people farm items for characters that may not be on that version if they hapen to have both and link them, but don't force people with the more expensive console and more expensive game to be limited because of Smash Lite.

Kirbyquake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirbyquake
3DS FC
0430-8315-5741
Has anyone seen this? To me it seems really believable but I'm not sure...

NintendoSmashBrother

Smash Cadet
People say it is fake because Mewtwo and Wolf have lower resolution than other characters. Also it has no proof other than Wolf, Mewtwo, and Lucas have the same stance as their trophies.

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Theories like this, that isn't just wishes, but something that actually can be true, that hyped Smash fans dicuss here, looking at all details, and it is about possible new characters - That's one of the many reasons I love Smash Bros and Smash Boards!!

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
People say it is fake because Mewtwo and Wolf have lower resolution than other characters. Also it has no proof other than Wolf, Mewtwo, and Lucas have the same stance as their trophies.
To be fair, aren't all of the character portraits the same as their trophy too? Not saying I believe that image, I don't believe any leak until footage is shown or a game launches. Still if all the other portraits are the same as their trophy, it doesn't really disprove it.

I just want Mewtwo to return for my cousin because it'd make him extremely happy. Even if I don't get Ridley after all this ambiguity. Just let my best bro be happy, Sakurai.

Last edited:

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
I would assume it's fake since the renders for the characters would have to had been in the texture leak we had, and the only reference to these characters are their trophies. So yea, probably fake. also unlike the clone section I would assume these characters would be next to their series (well, maybe not Lucas & Wolf but definitely Mewtwo).

Last edited:

NintendoSmashBrother

Smash Cadet
I don't think so they can be the character link section or something like Doctor Mario and Pit aren't in their respective series section either.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995

Presumptuous much? Some things...

1. "Stupid idea." That's your opinion- it's not a fact.

2. My guess is hardware limitations, but correct me if I'm wrong. Also, the games have different stages and character models, meaning that they aren't quite compatible on a "playing together" level.

3. Explanation- a statement or account that makes something clear. Okay, so let's see if you have clarified anything...

4. Careful there. "Literally" is tough word to prove.

5. When did I say that? Just because you like a southern football team like the Dallas Cowboys doesn't mean that you think that the Confederacy should have won Civil War. Just because you drive a German car doesn't mean that you support Hitler. You can't make assumptions like that.

6. "No people." Not quite. Just one group of fans. You know, a similar group to one that just lost Wolf and Lucas. How about Snake's fans? Pokemon Trainer mains like myself? Ice Climbers' fans aren't elevated above another group of fans just because they have seniority. They didn't make the cut. Their fans can all enjoy them in Brawl. I don't feel like counting characters right now, but fans of roughly 30 characters are still pretty happy.

7. First off, "afford" is pretty elitist of you. Not everyone can afford a Wii U. Not everyone can afford a 3DS. That has nothing to do with me in particular or even any one person. I wouldn't bring price into this personally- you don't know people's social status (statuses?), so you're not the one to be judging based on "affording" two games.

8. Poor analogy. I'm not sure what you're going for. You're comparing buying a Microsoft console for a Microsoft game to buying two separate Nintendo consoles for two Nintendo games. That's comparing green apples and red apples and oranges- yeah, they're all fruit, but the oranges really don't fit at all.

9. "And finally?" What exactly have you proven? You said that you'd "explain," but all you did was make a poor assumption about people being anti-Ice Climbers, exclaimed that people will miss their favorite characters, and then make a poor analogy about a completely different company.

10. Nothing is inherently bad about a different roster. I just said that requiring both systems for a full roster on one of them is an idea that I'm not happy about.

11. Not really. There are a lot of fans who love the 3DS version (it's selling quite well too). Some of us are looking forward to this more than the Wii U one. What kind of elitist would want us not to experience a game that we really want just so that they can have their version a little better?

Now if you didn't read all of what I wrote, at least read this please. You are misinterpreting the topic/quote. This topic is discussing using a Wii U to add to the 3DS roster. It is not discussing roster differences and if the 3DS version should exist or not. I notice that you stopped quoting me right before I made the main point of my comment. I was saying that the two systems shouldn't need to connect to unlock the final characters, but instead they should be released as free DLC or patches to the 3DS version and come in the retail Wii U version. You harped on a side comment that I made and ignored the point of my post and this thread.

Side note: Sakurai said in an interview back when Smash 4 was announced that one of the reasons for the identical rosters was so that people wouldn't get one of the versions and not have a character that wasn't in that one, but in the other one. My earlier comment mentioned that having characters unlocked on the 3DS version through the Wii U defeats this purpose. If I didn't make that clear, I apologize.

Top Bottom