• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remaining Characters Unlockable Through Wii U Transfer

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
You know what's great? I own a 3DS and a Wii U, so the likelihood is that no matter what, all I have to do is sit back and wait for stuff to come out, if it does. As is, I've settled in to the current roster, so either way I win.

Ah, the perks of being a not too optimistic Nintendo fan~

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
You know what's great? I own a 3DS and a Wii U, so the likelihood is that no matter what, all I have to do is sit back and wait for stuff to come out, if it does. As is, I've settled in to the current roster, so either way I win.

Ah, the perks of being a not too optimistic Nintendo fan~
Same here. That said, most of my friends only have 3DS, so it'd probably be upsetting for them if they end up with less characters because they don't have a Wii U.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
If on disc DLC for the 3ds version is true... Isn't it only a matter of time before hackers spoil it all?

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I've heard that you can simply buy some character trophies from the shop that have alternate poses from their classic mode counterparts. I saw a Samus one like this.

With that being said, just because Mewtwo has a trophy in the game doesn't mean that that cancels out all chances of it being in the game; there's still that chance of it having a unique Classic mode trophy that differs from the one we've already seen.

As I said before, all either side can do at this point is provide evidence; no one can actually confirm/deconfirm anything until we get some final information.
Wii Fit Trainer= Playable Character
Wii Fit Trainer= Has a Trophy
==CASE CLOSED==
Mewtwo being a trophy is not a deconfirmation, in fact it makes it much more likely for him to be in the game...

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
Same here. That said, most of my friends only have 3DS, so it'd probably be upsetting for them if they end up with less characters because they don't have a Wii U.
It would be very upsetting for me too since I too have a 3DS I hope transfer isn't the only way to get extra characters I hope they make DLC packs of the characters for free for thoses who don't have the other version and vice versa

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I've heard that you can simply buy some character trophies from the shop that have alternate poses from their classic mode counterparts. I saw a Samus one like this.

With that being said, just because Mewtwo has a trophy in the game doesn't mean that that cancels out all chances of it being in the game; there's still that chance of it having a unique Classic mode trophy that differs from the one we've already seen.

As I said before, all either side can do at this point is provide evidence; no one can actually confirm/deconfirm anything until we get some final information.
==CASE CLOSED==
Mewtwo being a trophy is not a deconfirmation, in fact it makes it much more likely for him to be in the game...

lemaskdemasque

Smash Cadet
==CASE CLOSED==
However, in every smash, you unlock fighter trophies through completing classic mode with that fighter. Plus no'one's found trophies for ridley or dixie which suggests they may be dlc. If a mewtwo trophy has been unlocked then i doubt he'll be playable later.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
However, in every smash, you unlock fighter trophies through completing classic mode with that fighter. Plus no'one's found trophies for ridley or dixie which suggests they may be dlc. If a mewtwo trophy has been unlocked then i doubt he'll be playable later.
the Wii Fit Trainer trophy wasn't unlocked by winning his classic mode, it was unlocked because of a different reason that I couldn't find...
Also Mewtwo's trophy was found http://i.imgur.com/yEtmfTF.jpg
Dixie's trophy https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxVD3GuIcAASYrD.png
PKMN Trainer, Ivysaur, and Squirtle trophies have also been found...

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
I am surprised that this thread is still this popular after 9 days after it was posted. So congrats to the instigator of this thread :D

Now for the matter at hand, I agree with you. There's gotta be a reason why Sakurai released the 3DS version before the Wii U version that is other than debugging and extra profit for buying both versions (why debug the Wii U version only before release when you could have given the 3DS version the same treatment?).

It has been pretty much confirmed that the reason why the Ice Climbers were not in the game was because of the 3DS' limitations (click here for article) so chances are (if this is true) is that the Ice Climbers are not going to be available on this iteration of Smash Bros. but on the next iteration because of the 3DS.

DLC could be a likely possibility. I discussed that on this thread.

Now I have a hypothesis of my own. Maybe Sakurai might release exclusive patches to the New 3DS instead of the 3DS to accommodate having the Ice Climbers (or other announced characters) in the roster. Due to the fact that the New 3DS has more RAM and a faster CPU (and it can run Xenoblade like a boss), this could happen. I do not know the legitimacy of this claim but it could be a possibility.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I am surprised that this thread is still this popular after 9 days after it was posted. So congrats to the instigator of this thread :D

Now for the matter at hand, I agree with you. There's gotta be a reason why Sakurai released the 3DS version before the Wii U version that is other than debugging and extra profit for buying both versions (why debug the Wii U version only before release when you could have given the 3DS version the same treatment?).

It has been pretty much confirmed that the reason why the Ice Climbers were not in the game was because of the 3DS' limitations (click here for article) so chances are (if this is true) is that the Ice Climbers are not going to be available on this iteration of Smash Bros. but on the next iteration because of the 3DS.

DLC could be a likely possibility. I discussed that on this thread.

Now I have a hypothesis of my own. Maybe Sakurai might release exclusive patches to the New 3DS instead of the 3DS to accommodate having the Ice Climbers (or other announced characters) in the roster. Due to the fact that the New 3DS has more RAM and a faster CPU (and it can run Xenoblade like a boss), this could happen. I do not know the legitimacy of this claim but it could be a possibility.
Sakurai already discussed how he doesn't want people that have one console to be left out. so the new 3ds dlc thing isn't likely

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
Sakurai already discussed how he doesn't want people that have one console to be left out. so the new 3ds dlc thing isn't likely
Yeah. At this point, I just sort of wish the New 3DS was announced a year earlier but whats done is done.

Also if Sakurai and Nintendo really wanted to include more characters, get rid of the current limitations, and not leave anyone out of the experience simultaniously, they could do some sort of New 3DS campaign in which 3DS owners can trade their old 3DS for a new one + a little bit of money (say $50, for example).

That way the fans benefit because the might get the characters that they want plus a new, more powerful 3DS and Nintendo benefits because they can simply recycle the old 3DS for material to make more New 3DS at the cost of losing a little profit and potential consumers are going to be more aware of the New 3DS in the market (it is not a complete loss for Nintendo because they will obtain materials plus some money).

This campaign could run for a limited time to prevent a mayor loss and to give out enough awareness about the new 3DS.

Last edited:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
At this point, it's possible that the game gets Day 1 DLC after the Wii U version comes out, which would explain why we don't see it in the coding. I remember for Mario Kart 8, they found the files for the two future DLCs(that you have to pay for), but not one for the Mercedez-Benz free one. I could be very wrong, but I'm 99.9% positive we'll get some sorta extra schtuff.

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
This is really quite interesting.. So that means if this were to be the case that there would be more than 4 extra characters on the way? Or would they perhaps use the empty slots to place set arrows to the next page.. Eitherway I can't wait to see where this one will be going
The thing that bothers me is how many chars we'll get, we won't get 4 because I'm pretty sure 4 won't fit a whole page... (Maybe they'll make character icon's bigger which may make sense) but this is our biggest yet small beam of hope =|

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
The thing that bothers me is how many chars we'll get, we won't get 4 because I'm pretty sure 4 won't fit a whole page... (Maybe they'll make character icon's bigger which may make sense) but this is our biggest yet small beam of hope =|
I think re-sizing the character selection icons for each character would be too much work for the development team to accommodate future DLC. I think they will either add 4 characters to the first page and then make a second page or just make a second page entirely.

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
I think re-sizing the character selection icons for each character would be too much work for the development team to accommodate future DLC. I think they will either add 4 characters to the first page and then make a second page or just make a second page entirely.

Pretty much this, if they do make characters, I can see them just adding them on the second page without really worrying about the layout too much. + it would be quite weird if one page had 48+ characters on it while another is completely filled with 4 massive icons. If they do gradually fill in the page I hope they'll at least change the boring grey background of the CSS though

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Me thinks DLC is coming. Honestly, I don't know why they would need a whole second page, but I think they are either resizing, which is a lot of work, or just adding without worrying about layout, which would look weird. But, whatever, I'm sure whatever they do'll be fine in the end.

Last edited:

marvel b

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2423-3428-7359
i know i mentioned this somewhere,but i believe that cross-unlocked characters are going to happen. i would also enjoy dlc. but i would LOVE both! imagine two screens worth of characters!

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
1 gb free space in the SD card and these 2 arrows... C'mon Sakurai, give us that DLC :3 :joyful:
:mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
OK, I think I've deciphered something. Or maybe I've discovered absolutely nothing, but here goes. The names of the arrows are "chr_10_page_1.tex" and "chr_10_page_2.tex." I'm assuming that "chr_"stands for "character, "10" is for the CSS Icon ID number, "_page_2" and "_page_1" are the page numbers, and ".tex" is for "texture." This would mean that this is the texture for the tenth CSS icon on the first page. So, what I think this means is this. On the CSS, there are 9 characters per row, save for the last two. Now, because these arrows would be appear to be coded as CSS icon textures, it can be assumed that all character icon textures are named similarly. For example, Mario's CSS Icon texture could be "chr_01_page_1.tex" from a logical standpoint, seeing as I think, if I remember correctly, "01" was his character ID number in the previous games, and he is on page 1. That would mean that "chr_10_page_1.tex" is the texture for the tenth CSS Icon on the 1st page. That would mean that "chr_10_page_2.tex" would be the texture for the tenth CSS Icon on the second page. The TENTH. That could mean we could be getting at least 9 DLC/Connection characters. I know next to nothing about coding, so I don't know how valid this is, so please tell me if this is totally wrong or something. Also, I believe similar arrow textures were found for the SSS, so that could mean we are getting DLC/Connection stages, as well, especially when you consider that awkward gap on the final SSS, which is logically where the arrow would go, if this turns out to be true.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
OK, I think I've deciphered something. Or maybe I've discovered absolutely nothing, but here goes. The names of the arrows are "chr_10_page_1.tex" and "chr_10_page_2.tex." I'm assuming that "chr_"stands for "character, "10" is for the CSS Icon ID number, "_page_2" and "_page_1" are the page numbers, and ".tex" is for "texture." This would mean that this is the texture for the tenth CSS icon on the first page. So, what I think this means is this. On the CSS, there are 9 characters per row, save for the last two. Now, because these arrows would be appear to be coded as CSS icon textures, it can be assumed that all character icon textures are named similarly. For example, Mario's CSS Icon texture could be "chr_01_page_1.tex" from a logical standpoint, seeing as I think, if I remember correctly, "01" was his character ID number in the previous games, and he is on page 1. That would mean that "chr_10_page_1.tex" is the texture for the tenth CSS Icon on the 1st page. That would mean that "chr_10_page_2.tex" would be the texture for the tenth CSS Icon on the second page. The TENTH. That could mean we could be getting at least 9 DLC/Connection characters. I know next to nothing about coding, so I don't know how valid this is, so please tell me if this is totally wrong or something. Also, I believe similar arrow textures were found for the SSS, so that could mean we are getting DLC/Connection stages, as well, especially when you consider that awkward gap on the final SSS, which is logically where the arrow would go, if this turns out to be true.
That makes so much sense! 9 characters would do well for 1 GB of space in the SD I think.

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
That makes so much sense! 9 characters would do well for 1 GB of space in the SD I think.
Well... Considering the entire game and its 50 character roster take up the other 1.1 GB.. I don't see how 9 characters alone would take up 1 GB?

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Well... Considering the entire game and its 50 character roster take up the other 1.1 GB.. I don't see how 9 characters alone would take up 1 GB?
Yeah I'm not really sure how much space all the chars take and how much space the stages do...

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I'm not really sure how much space all the chars take and how much space the stages do...
Well if you take a look at the number of stages and characters alone in the base game, knowing that the space remaining is almost the same, you can expect the same amount of content regarding both being available in that 1GB (that is if you see it so there is no new extra mode or other features at all anymore).

It's easy to see that we will never get that amount of characters/stages in dlc, so why is there so much space left still? I honestly don't know. There's also the possibility that the Amiibo function still has to be added in a free update/patch. That one will most likely take up a good bit of space.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
Well if you take a look at the number of stages and characters alone in the base game, knowing that the space remaining is almost the same, you can expect the same amount of content regarding both being available in that 1GB (that is if you see it so there is no new extra mode or other features at all anymore).

It's easy to see that we will never get that amount of characters/stages in dlc, so why is there so much space left still? I honestly don't know. There's also the possibility that the Amiibo function still has to be added in a free update/patch. That one will most likely take up a good bit of space.
Hmm we still don't know how Amiibo works with Smash Bros. outside of fighting a cpu that you can level up pass Level 9. If what you are saying is true then putting the concrete evidence together with the Amiibo integration could mean that for the second page we might get less than 50 additional characters; maybe close to 20 (these numbers are arbitrary though).

Last edited:

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
Hmm we still don't know how Amiibo works with Smash Bros. If what you are saying is true then putting the concrete evidence together with the Amiibo integration could mean that for the second page we might get less than 50 additional characters; maybe close to 20 (these numbers are arbitrary though).
Has nothing been found yet in the texture dump or something about new menu screens? Remember the POTD screenshots of the Wii U version that showed off the lvl 50 Amiibo mario with all his equipment and custom moves, I'm sure the 3DS version of the game would have a simular screen to that. If it doesn't it's safe to say that it will most likely be added in a feature patch. (not on the Wii U version though since that feature will be released together with its launch)

Either way, another 20 additional character would be huge imo, the roster would blow over 70 characters in total then.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You know ... actually , Nintendo was always a god for Compress Game at minimal size ... I can take the exemple of Pokemon White/Black 2 who are 256 MB , but Uncompressed they are 575 MB ... So let's Immagine like this game , smash is compressed , so the Game don't really pick 1.1 GB but 2.2 GB ... Who fit actually better for what it contains ... A patch can add new thing , In Pokemon X/Y , Mega-Latios/Latias was added in a patch . And in Pokemon X/Y we are waiting a Patch to add the stuff from Ruby Omega Saphir Alpha ( whos not in the X/Y game like new mega ) into X/Y for cross battle/trade because it's from the same gen .

I'm a Believer of the DLC/CrosLinking theory ...

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Has nothing been found yet in the texture dump or something about new menu screens? Remember the POTD screenshots of the Wii U version that showed off the lvl 50 Amiibo mario with all his equipment and custom moves, I'm sure the 3DS version of the game would have a simular screen to that. If it doesn't it's safe to say that it will most likely be added in a feature patch. (not on the Wii U version though since that feature will be released together with its launch)

Either way, another 20 additional character would be huge imo, the roster would blow over 70 characters in total then.
Sakurai does the unexpected... Seriously, one of the first characters announced were Wii Fit Trainer, I'm pretty sure 0.01% of the fanbase expected her/him and also 0.01% of the fanbase expects 70 characters... Whatever he's gonna do, I'm pretty sure its gonna blow our minds :colorful:

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
You need a free space for the mii fighters when customizations are turned on, so unless they do implement the arrows to switch between pages on stages and characters, at most they could only fit three characters and one stage onto the current select screen. Unless they plan to shrink the icons even further but come on guys, you'll give us people eye strain.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
You need a free space for the mii fighters when customizations are turned on, so unless they do implement the arrows to switch between pages on stages and characters, at most they could only fit three characters and one stage onto the current select screen. Unless they plan to shrink the icons even further but come on guys, you'll give us people eye strain.

If I remember correctly, you can have up to 10 Mii Fighters on the 3DS version and unlimited in the Wii U version (because you can attach pretty much any external hard drive to it). We are talking about the game as a whole being 1.1GB in size with an extra 1GB unused. The 1.1GB include every Mii accessory.

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
If I remember correctly, you can have up to 10 Mii Fighters on the 3DS version and unlimited in the Wii U version (because you can attach pretty much any external hard drive to it). We are talking about the game as a whole being 1.1GB in size with an extra 1GB unused. The 1.1GB include every Mii accessory.
That's correct, even if you take up every customization slot of every character, the data is present. So it'll only need to remember the settings which is next to nothing.

It is really curious as to why there is so much data left..

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
There's a lot of free space there to add stuff, and those arrows (that surfaced a few days ago, actually) further prove the fact that DLC is going to be a thing sooner or later.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Sakurai does the unexpected... Seriously, one of the first characters announced were Wii Fit Trainer, I'm pretty sure 0.01% of the fanbase expected her/him and also 0.01% of the fanbase expects 70 characters... Whatever he's gonna do, I'm pretty sure its gonna blow our minds :colorful:
*Adds Dr. Dark Pit as a character* :mad088:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
*Adds Dr. Dark Pit as a character* :mad088:
Yeah, I know... thats one of the reasons I think there is DLC, because he's just having a bit of fun with us before he reveals it >:)

Top Bottom